US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I couldn’t understand why someone didn’t primary him. He has actually done some really good things as president but seems to have slept through a wildly emboldened rogue Supreme Court. He has failed so badly on dealing with that he should not be running again. 
But my god if Trump got in he would never give up the office as long as he was alive and he would feel no constraints about being a dictator and now he knows who can get him there. 

Like I said before, of you gonna primary the incumbent, you better know you will win for sure cause otherwise your political career is over. 

That is very high risk for any politician. Dems should have pressured Buden hard to not re-run. 

They should have put it in as the condition for clearing the field for him in the 2020 primaries but I guess their desire to run out Bernie is higher than anything else. 

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Only if he resigned the entire presidency before January 20th.  He's not going to resign.  I give it 50/50 odds that he is going to stay in this race.

Just keep an eye on the money and if it keeps flowing.

So go through the embarrassment of not winning the nomination? Ouch.

He's toast. He probably has some early stage disease of some kind. 

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

So go through the embarrassment of not winning the nomination? Ouch.

He's toast. He probably has some early stage disease of some kind. 

It would be more embarrassing to be only the 2nd president to ever resign from office.

He'd turn himself into a trivia question that would last hundreds of years.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

It would be more embarrassing to be only the 2nd president to ever resign from office.

He'd turn himself into a trivia question that would last hundreds of years.

Is there not something in place where if a sitting President isn’t competent he can be replaced?  Is Mrs. Biden doing like Eleanor Roosevelt? 

4 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

No.  He should leave the nomination though and just continue to let his party control the White House until his term is up in 5 months.

So effectively resign, without resignation?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Is there not something in place where if a sitting President isn’t competent he can be replaced?  Is Mrs. Biden doing like Eleanor Roosevelt? 

The 25th amendment.

I have no idea how involved Jill is.  I'd imagine Joe makes the biggest decisions and the party then directs his staff on overall policy.

That's just a guess though.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

So effectively resign, without resignation?

Yep.  I give it 50/50 that he either does that or keeps fighting for a second term.

Like I told Alf, follow the money.  If he continues to get large donations he can keep fighting.  If the donations dry up, he'll likely have to give up the nomination.

Sadly, money controls who gets into office nowadays.

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

30 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Yep.  I give it 50/50 that he either does that or keeps fighting for a second term.

Like I told Alf, follow the money.  If he continues to get large donations he can keep fighting.  If the donations dry up, he'll likely have to give up the nomination.

Sadly, money controls who gets into office nowadays.

In this case maybe a blessing tho, if it saves Joe from getting crushed next election.

4 hours ago, Gurn said:

I wonder if there is some outside agency, pushing a narrative that is beneficial to their/it's financial/global interests.?

?

?

?

Gosh, who could possibly benefit from a Drumpf victory?

Any ideas?

Oh, you know the corks were popping in the Kremlin after that debate....

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

In this case maybe a blessing tho, if it saves Joe from getting crushed next election.

I'm still not convinced that Biden loses in November if he stays in.  4 1/2 months is a long time to turn things around.  He just no longer has any room for error and the leaks from the Democrats need to be plugged if he does decide to continue.  If I was a Democrat, I'd be fairly irritated that they are trying to sink the guy before knowing if he's staying in the race or not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I'm still not convinced that Biden loses in November if he stays in.  4 1/2 months is a long time to turn things around.  He just no longer has any room for error and the leaks from the Democrats need to be plugged if he does decide to continue.  If I was a Democrat, I'd be fairly irritated that they are trying to sink the guy before knowing if he's staying in the race or not.

All I see is Biden 4 1/2 months older. He's not going to improve.

Its a shame trump didn't decline faster but that debate put a fork in Joe. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/04/politics/biden-governors-sleep/index.html

Biden tells Democratic governors he needs more sleep and plans to stop scheduling events after 8 p.m.

Was Trump actually accurate calling Biden “Sleepy Joe”?

So, if Russia attacked the USA with nukes after midnight, Biden would be asleep and unable to counter attack?  Scary times. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I don’t think they are trying to sink him on purpose unless they feel he can’t win in November. The polls are pretty clearly trending in Trump’s direction. And they know this. 

After that debate performance, they can no longer hide Biden’s cognitive decline. The next debate could be even worse. So they are trying to do the switcheroo and get someone else in there who can win the election. 

Michelle Obama seems like the only one who can do that. I highly doubt Hillary, Kamala or even Newsom can win. 

• ThereItIs 1

11 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Maybe the only move the dems have is for Biden to step down for health reasons (which seems reasonable) and let Americans get used to the idea of President Harris.

I don't see anything else that could happen quickly.

Harris is awful. They might be better off going to RFK but there's no way they would do that. Seems like this thing is going to Trump.

On 7/3/2024 at 7:23 PM, Sabrefan1 said:

There are stories coming out admitting that they've been covering Biden's foibles up for the last 12-18 months.

Interesting, I was told for years now that he was fine & this wasnt happening.

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Harris is awful. They might be better off going to RFK but there's no way they would do that. Seems like this thing is going to Trump.

Is she? I know she's unpopular with the progressives but she does have a lot of experience.

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

He clearly has a health issue. But it wouldn't be the first time a POTUS health problems were hidden.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

RFK Jr. apparently ate a dog. So he might be out of the picture as well. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

RFK Jr. apparently ate a dog. So he might be out of the picture as well. 

Really eh? I hadn't heard this. Is it legit or a corporate press hit narrative? 

34 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Is she? I know she's unpopular with the progressives but she does have a lot of experience.

It doesn't seem like her track record is particularly good, she got absolutely murdered by Tulsi in her 2020 run, and ultimately if the Democrats (both party apparatchiks & voters) felt she was an ace replacement there would be no crisis. 

34 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

He clearly has a health issue. But it wouldn't be the first time a POTUS health problems were hidden.

Of course, I agree. The problem is anyone pointing this out over the last few years was considered a heretic/lunatic, now all of a sudden those critics are right b/c Dems can't even deny reality anymore & feel the presidency is slipping away.

Hell even Joe Scarborough a few months back said Biden was at his peak intellectually, now all of sudden even he thinks Biden needs to step aside after the debate. Very interesting timing.

Edited by Smashian Kassian