US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Maybe it was different in 1992, but when I first registered to vote, no ID was needed.  Same thing when I change addresses.  I just fill out a voter registration form promising that I'm of age and a US-born or naturalized citizen.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Maybe it was different in 1992, but when I first registered to vote, no ID was needed.  Same thing when I change addresses.  I just fill out a voter registration form promising that I'm of age and a US-born or naturalized citizen.

I'm not against making sure folks are citizens- but requiring ID- then closing or moving the offices that provide that ID, as far away from people as possible is just wrong.

Also- if ID is required it should be free to acquire.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Gurn said:

Wonder if this sets a precedent for a certain someone?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/ex-senator-illinois-governor-candidate-mccann-gets-3-1-2-years-for-fraud-and-money-laundering/ar-BB1pLkvR?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=ea88bfcb0669482585b94785eb30026c&ei=29

"

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — A former Illinois state senator and candidate for governor was sentenced Wednesday in federal court to 3 1/2 years in prison after pleading guilty to fraudulent use of campaign funds, money laundering and tax evasion.

U.S. District Court Judge Colleen Lawless, who also ordered William “Sam” McCann to pay $684,000 in restitution, noted during sentencing that McCann continued to siphon campaign money for personal use even after federal authorities confronted him. And she said he fraudulently claimed that he was physically and mentally unable to stand trial during a bizarre series of delays leading up to his February bench trial.

McCann, 54, who declared “God's got this" after firing his attorneys in 2023 and announcing that he would represent himself, later capitulated and started trial with new representation before throwing in the towel on the third day of testimony. He entered a no-strings open guilty plea to seven counts of wire fraud and one count each of money laundering and tax evasion. He faced up to 20 years in prison for each count of fraud and money laundering alone.

------------------

more at link.

--------------------------------------

3.5 years for all of it, when it could have been  20 for each count.

When will society and judges start putting the hammer down on so called 'white collar" crime?

----------------------

Rob a gas station and get decade, rip off millions and 3.5 yrs.

Trump's Super-PAC paid to upgrade his private Boeing plane.   The trick to taking bribes in a federal office is to get them through your Super-PAC.  That's how Trump upgraded his personal Boeing 757.  "Donations".

Apparently this guy didn't get the steal from your own PAC memo.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

I'm not against making sure folks are citizens- but requiring ID- then closing or moving the offices that provide that ID, as far away from people as possible is just wrong.

Also- if ID is required it should be free to acquire.

I don't have a strong opinion on it one way or the other.

Edited by Sabrefan1
grammar

19 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Very, VERY poor choice of name for a progressive channel or at least historically tone deaf. The Young Turks group was primarily responsible for the Armenian genocides.

Saw the confused emoji.  Yep.  Her parents were Armenian immigrants.  She's first generation American.  She had a nose job to smooth out the bump that's prevalent in that part of the world.

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I don't have as strong opinion on it one way or the other.

Guess I should add-I didn't believe the current requirements were inadequate, as no large scale vote fraud has been found- at least as long and as far as I know.

But hey- want to make it even better ok-just be fair about it.

Just now, Gurn said:

Guess I should add-I didn't believe the current requirements were inadequate, as no large scale vote fraud has been found- at least as long and as far as I know.

But hey- want to make it even better ok-just be fair about it.

I've watched videos on YouTube where they go up to minorities and ask them if it's a hardship to get ID's.  Nearly every person either pulls out their own ID or gets annoyed that you ask them such a silly question.

I'm more concerned about the games that politicians play with the mail-in drop boxes and even polling hours in some cities. 

Gerrymandering, I'm not too concerned about because both parties play that game in the states that they control.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Saw the confused emoji.  Yep.  Her parents were Armenian immigrants.  She's first generation American.  She had a nose job to smooth out the bump that's prevalent in that part of the world.

Haha more a surprised emoji but interesting. This must've been brought up to her I'd imagine.

1 minute ago, DSVII said:

Haha more a surprised emoji but interesting. This must've been brought up to her I'd imagine.

Every chance people get when she goes against the party line. 

People are even more angry with her now because she recently divorced the Democratic party and re-registered as an independent.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/house-passes-gop-bill-to-ban-noncitizens-from-voting-after-elon-musk-suggests-its-opponents-should-be-executed/ar-BB1pLDJu?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=ea88bfcb0669482585b94785eb30026c&ei=7

"

The Republican-controlled House of Representatives has passed a measure that mandates proof of citizenship to register to vote - which is already a requirement.

The Safeguard American Voter Eligibility (SAVE) Act would require a Real ID, passport or other government identification that shows a person’s place of birth was in the United States.

Elon Musk had even suggested that anyone who voted against the bill should be executed for treason.

“Those who oppose this are traitors. All Caps: TRAITORS,” he wrote on X. “What is the penalty for traitors again?”

-----------------------------

more at link-if you really want to ?

Musk should have been imprisoned for treason long ago for working with Putin.

7 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Here's a list of well over 1000 CEO's, corporations, and companies that still work with Putin and Russia...

https://boycottrussia.info/all-companies

And how many of them were publicly stating that a sovereign country should negotiate with Putin's Nazi regime?  That alone should have resulted with Musk being tortured in Guantanamo Bay.  There's no reason for anyone to pretend that Musk should be treated as anything more than subhuman vermin.  He definitely isn't someone who civilized people should listen to for political insight.

Frankly every single one of those CEOs should be in prison, but Musk is one of the biggest pieces of shit to ever infest this planet.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Wiener 2

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

And how many of them were publicly stating that a sovereign country should negotiate with Putin's Nazi regime?  That alone should have resulted with Musk being tortured in Guantanamo Bay.  There's no reason for anyone to pretend that Musk should be treated as anything more than subhuman vermin.  He definitely isn't someone who civilized people should listen to for political insight.

Frankly every single one of those CEOs should be in prison, but Musk is one of the biggest pieces of shit to ever infest this planet.

It was a dumb idea and he was ignored after the righteous indignation died down.  That's the normal thing to do.  Ignore dumb ideas like that born of self interest.

9 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Should still be easy to convince Americans that any option is superior to Trump, who is openly proposing the nazification of the US.

Except Americans have already seen Trump in power & it wasn't the end of democracy, you know this cause the Dems are currently in power.

It's hilarious to see the contradictions from the powers that be in the US. The media was pushing the idea that not only is Biden not declining, but was in-fact near or at the top of his cognitive ability ever. Then only months later to jump ship & proclaim they now realize he's a walking corpse that needs to be replaced.

Also the endless hand waving away of any critique/oppositions as all just blanket crazy conspiracy theorists (including that issue^) for years, and now in the present they are going into overdrive mode trying to push this 'project 2025' conspiracy theory cause they know they are in trouble & need something.

Nevermind the whole charade attacking Trump over rejecting election result (fair in a vaccum) when they were the ones endlessly pushing the Russia overthrowing US democracy with Trump narrative for years upon years prior (also a Dem conspiracy theory).

They push a 'perpetual present' where they expect the contradictions of previous positions to be forgotten about by their audience, and for a long time they've been very successful. But now I think the charade is catching up to them.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Except Americans have already seen Trump in power & it wasn't the end of democracy, you know this cause the Dems are currently in power.

It's hilarious to see the contradictions from the powers that be in the US. The media was pushing the idea that not only is Biden not declining, but was in-fact near or at the top of his cognitive ability ever. Then only months later to jump ship & proclaim they now realize he's a walking corpse that needs to be replaced.

Also the endless hand waving away of any critique/oppositions as all just blanket crazy conspiracy theorists (including that issue^) for years, and now in the present they are going into overdrive mode trying to push this 'project 2025' conspiracy theory cause they know they are in trouble & need something.

Nevermind the whole charade attacking Trump over rejecting election result (fair in a vaccum) when they were the ones endlessly pushing the Russia overthrowing US democracy with Trump narrative for years upon years prior (also a Dem conspiracy theory).

They push a 'perpetual present' where they expect the contradictions of previous positions to be forgotten about by their audience, and for a long time they've been very successful. But now I think the charade is catching up to them.

Are you really trying to downplay Trump trying to steal an election? Jan 6, fake electors, Mike Pences guts, and a few pressured governors, and a perfect phone call say hi. Literally fucking treason. At least we know Kamala will do the right thing. 

• Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Are you really trying to downplay Trump trying to steal an election? Jan 6, fake electors, Mike Pences guts, and a few pressured governors, and a perfect phone call say hi. Literally fucking treason. At least we know Kamala will do the right thing. 

Are you trying to downplay the Democratic party + US media accusing a hostile world power of overthrowing US democracy? (Presumably so they could gain power)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Are you trying to downplay the Democratic party + US media accusing a hostile world power of overthrowing US democracy? (Presumably so they could gain power)

The hostile world power that is currently invading another sovereign nation? The same one with troll farms and cyber attacks that seek to destabilize foreign countries, particularly western democracies? The same one that a number of trumps inner circle were indicted and convicted of colluding with? 

You've really justified Trumps actions based on this? 

• Cheers 1
  • Wiener 1

2 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

The hostile world power that is currently invading another sovereign nation? The same one with troll farms and cyber attacks that seek to destabilize foreign countries, particularly western democracies? The same one that a number of trumps inner circle were indicted and convicted of colluding with? 

You've really justified Trumps actions based on this? 

So you continue to believe the lie & intentionally miss my point. Congrats.

I'm not justifying anything. From my OP;

46 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

attacking Trump over rejecting election result (fair in a vaccum) when they were the ones endlessly pushing the Russia overthrowing US democracy with Trump narrative for years upon years prior (also a Dem conspiracy theory).

The point wasn't that Trump was right, the point was the hypocrisy & how little they think of the populace, then from their what it really means. (Power > 'Democracy')

And look this is nothing new. Every US election this century has been contested by the losing party, its only escalated & will happen again this time around.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Am I missing something with Russia?  To me, the narrative was Russia was pumping out misinformation, using their troll farms, etc to influence and destabilize the election....NOT physically manipulate voting machines, physically overthrowing elections etc. 

Wouldn't you want to know/investigate if a foreign power was putting a lot of resources into getting a certain candidate in your election?

• Cheers 2