US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

6 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Josh Hawley touts racist theory that liberals want to 'replace Christmas with pride month'

https://www.rawstory.com/josh-hawley-replacement-theory/

Fuck me.  I wish the US still had men of character.

Watching a strapping farmer look this piece of crap in the eye and demanding satisfaction on the steps of congress or in the senate and watching him squeal like a coward would be the best thing ever

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Republican Candidate Refuses to Answer Question Immediately After Saying He Will Answer Tough Questions: ‘We’re Not Here to Talk About Abortion’

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/republican-candidate-refuses-to-answer-question-immediately-after-saying-he-will-answer-tough-questions-were-not-here-to-talk-about-abortion/

The sad thing is, people like him still stand such a good chance of winning

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

They can both be bad

They're both old as crap.  Both struggling.

Yet, only one has his name all over thr Epstien documents. 

Only one is a felon.

Yet for some reason, the calls to drop out are deafening for Biden. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, the destroyer of worlds said:

They're both old as crap.  Both struggling.

Yet, only one has his name all over thr Epstien documents. 

Only one is a felon.

Yet for some reason, the calls to drop out are deafening for Biden. 

The reason is Dem are held to way higher standards than GOP these days. We all know the Republicans are insane detestable that hold no ine to account. 

Second and more importantly, given Trump's guilty verdict, equally mushed mind, countless indictments, and countless other things, Biden is at best tied with Trump when in any other circumstances he should be driving circles around Trump. 

The primary answer we get from polls and interviews on why that is is Biden's age and his mental state. That is why the calls for Biden to drop out is defeaning. He is underperformed by significant amount given what his opponent has done and it is clearly due to his age and nothing else. 

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The sad thing is, people like him still stand such a good chance of winning

Speaking of winning...

I can joke about it for now, but my biggest fear of the upcoming election is getting closer to reality by the day.  This Biden mess has the potential to affect not just who becomes president, but it has the potential to bleed down ballot and put the Republicans in control of every branch of government.  I'm not a fan of single party control.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Speaking of winning...

I can joke about it for now, but my biggest fear of the upcoming election is getting closer to reality by the day.  This Biden mess has the potential to affect not just who becomes president, but it has the potential to bleed down ballot and put the Republicans in control of every branch of government.  I'm not a fan of single party control.

Oh yep, and that bullet train of right wing stupid won't stay within your borders either. 

Biden needs to go so the dems have a chance at a decent turnout. 

3 minutes ago, 24K said:

The reason is Dem are held to way higher standards than GOP these days. We all know the Republicans are insane detestable that hold no ine to account. 

Second and more importantly, given Trump's guilty verdict, equally mushed mind, countless indictments, and countless other things, Biden is at best tied with Trump when in any other circumstances he should be driving circles around Trump. 

The primary answer we get from polls and interviews on why that is is Biden's age and his mental state. That is why the calls for Biden to drop out is defeaning. He is underperformed by significant amount given what his opponent has done and it is clearly due to his age and nothing else. 

Trump is winning the battleground states in most polls.  People are too busy concentrating on the popular vote polls.  Biden may win the popular vote no matter what. 

Winning the popular vote doesn't make you the POTUS.  Winning the electoral college does that.

Just now, Bob Long said:

Oh yep, and that bullet train of right wing stupid won't stay within your borders either. 

Biden needs to go so the dems have a chance at a decent turnout. 

I don't care which branch splits the government.  If Trump wins the presidency, I'm hoping that the Democrats take the House back.  If these Biden issues start to drag on the party as a whole, that may not happen.  

I doubt that the Democrats keep the Senate, so I'm hoping with ever fiber in my being that they get the House.

An interesting 'how to replace a candidate' article that mentions how LBJ, Ford, and Carter fought or didn't fight against those who wanted them replaced.

The article, and recent events, has me thinking Biden does not make it past the convention (if he makes it past next week).

Here’s how Biden would be replaced, according to Democrats’ rules

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/11/politics/biden-replacement-process-dnc/index.html

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

An interesting 'how to replace a candidate' article that mentions how LBJ, Ford, and Carter fought or didn't fight against those who wanted them replaced.

The article, and recent events, has me thinking Biden does not make it past the convention (if he makes it past next week).

Here’s how Biden would be replaced, according to Democrats’ rules

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/11/politics/biden-replacement-process-dnc/index.html

That's a lot of words to say what we already know.  Either Joe steps down or the Democrats can stage a bloodless coup d'état at the convention if they decide to replace him.

18 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Trump is winning the battleground states in most polls.  People are too busy concentrating on the popular vote polls.  Biden may win the popular vote no matter what. 

Winning the popular vote doesn't make you the POTUS.  Winning the electoral college does that.

I think polls show the opposite, well kind of.

Biden is doing waybworse in the popular vote but is way closer in battleground states. 

That said Biden's issue is causing ossue down ballot. Saw that internal Dem polling some ny safe district are now tanking for the Dems.

10 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

That's a lot of words to say what we already know.  Either Joe steps down or the Democrats can stage a bloodless coup d'état at the convention if they decide to replace him.

Who do you think would be a viable replacement candidate? I hear Harris and Newsom being the top potential successors.

7 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Yeah but... It's the words of a woman who serves on the Rules and Bylaws Committee of the Democratic Party.  Just a tad more weight than your words or mine no matter how many.

11 minutes ago, 24K said:

I think polls show the opposite, well kind of.

Biden is doing waybworse in the popular vote but is way closer in battleground states. 

That said Biden's issue is causing ossue down ballot. Saw that internal Dem polling some ny safe district are now tanking for the Dems.

Yesterday on PBS (Public Television)

New polls show Biden slipping further behind Trump in critical swing states

9 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Who do you think would be a viable replacement candidate? I hear Harris and Newsom being the top potential successors.

This late in the election season, Harris is their only viable choice.  Some of the party was beginning to coalesce around her until Biden came out and said that he was not going to step away from the nomination.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I don't care which branch splits the government.  If Trump wins the presidency, I'm hoping that the Democrats take the House back.  If these Biden issues start to drag on the party as a whole, that may not happen.  

I doubt that the Democrats keep the Senate, so I'm hoping with ever fiber in my being that they get the House.

I expect a sweep. It's going to be a long 4 years, assuming that you guys get another election.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Yeah but... It's the words of a woman who serves on the Rules and Bylaws Committee of the Democratic Party.  Just a tad more weight than your words or mine no matter how many.

I'm not commenting on her.  I have no doubt that she's a very intelligent person.  I wouldn't debate her in politics even in private.  That doesn't change the fact that CNN ran an article for clicks that was just stating the obvious.

I'm not a fan of clickbait articles.  It's getting worse lately.

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

I'm not commenting on her.  I have no doubt that she's a very intelligent person.  I wouldn't debate her in politics even in private.  That doesn't change the fact that CNN ran an article for clicks that was just stating the obvious.

I'm not a fan of clickbait articles.  It's getting worse lately.

I'm so sorry my post was not to your standards.

5 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

This late in the election season, Harris is their only viable choice.  Some of the party was beginning to coalesce around her until Biden came out and said that he was not going to step away from the nomination.

Hopefully something happens soon then. I've slowly shifted my opinion from being okay with Biden running to it's just not worth it anymore for anyone to keep him in this race.

Trump's relative silence on this speaks volumes really. He's probably hoping Biden sticks till the convention.

Edited by DSVII

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I expect a sweep. It's going to be a long 4 years, assuming that you guys get another election.

If the Republicans sweep, chances are they lose a legislative 2 years later in the mid-terms.  Historically, that's the trend.

Unfortunately, a lot of damage can be done in 2 years time.

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I'm so sorry my post was not to your standards.

Also, my comment about the clickbait was meant towards the internet as a whole, not you personally or this board in general.  News media is milking clicks for ad revenue.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Hopefully something happens soon then. I've slowly shifted my opinion from being okay with Biden running to it's just not worth it anymore for anyone to keep him in this race.

Unless he begins to lose his bowels on stage, Biden still has a chance to win.  These press conferences just aren't helping him with the fence sitters.

Biden will get the party vote and the never Trump vote.  That's a significant percentage.  He just needs to reign in the embarrassing gaffes.