US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I guess I have a hard time seeing it funny, when I think about what's going to happen to Ukraine eg when trump wins, or the inevitable stupid shit he'll try to pull with Canada. 

I don't share your pessimism I guess? I do think we have very different perspectives. 

There's been some big positives in the Trump/post-Trump era or whatever you want to call this timeframe, major one being the de-legitimatization of the corporate media/politicians & how transparent their dishonesty has become, along with the rise of the internet as the mainstream destination which has certainly aided their demise.

On-top of that we currently have an unbelievable representation of US democracy (which is failing), the media/social media responses to the on-going shit show are often deranged+comical, & the meme magic is glorious.

Life is too short to fall into the demoralization/fear mongering view in my humble opinion. And things could be far worse anyways.

Lastly, putting Ukraine aside, as far as Canada I'm much more concerned with the leaders inside our country than outside.

52 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

He tried to screw with NAFTA once already and didn't get much more out of it.  There's very little else left for him to mess with as far as Canada goes that isn't already covered by treaty.  If he unilaterally withdrew from any treaties with Canada, that could potentially work out poorly for the US.  The US can't afford for Canada to shut off the spigot of raw materials, like oil, to the country.

Now China on the other hand...  Conservatives are pushing for manufacturing to come back to the US.  That means that China could get hit with tariffs that increase year over year.

But see you are a sensible person. I don't trust the maga's to be like you.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

37 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Like him or not, he doesn't give a sh*t about p*ssing off governments when they try to censor speech.  The EU was foolish to think that he was going to stay silent.

He's halfway there.  Now he just has to stop X from suspending accounts for speech that he personally doesn't like.

I think Community Notes has been one of the greatest developments in media in awhile.

X isn't perfect by any stretch but Elon buying twitter has been more than worthwhile for that alone imo. On top of how he's been able to pull the curtain back a touch on how social media/govt collude, which is also great. 

Remember when it was a conspiracy theory (despite the vast evicence) to call Biden having severe cognitive decline.  Vivek called this out in March and was labeled as a madman.  I remember when Bush was deemed as a joke and now we're left with Biden and Trump having the nuclear codes.

Edited by bolt
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Oh no.  He's old.  Being called all over the place to drop out because he is old.

The other guy is all over the Epstein documents.  34 felony convictions.  3 more criminal indictments.  Fraudster.  Civilly liable sexual assault.  Unindicted co-conspirator in a number of criminal cases.  I can go on.

Is he being asked with the same vim and vigor to drop out????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

It's ridiculous either guy is running for public office at ages most people are either dead or atleast retired.

Incumbents get a lot of rope.  That is why no one of substance ran against Biden.

The fact that QOP voters went with TRUMP despite all the obvious skeletons is much much worse.  A dead donkey is way way way way better than TRUMP.  

27 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

But see you are a sensible person. I don't trust the maga's to be like you.

MAGA worshippers like the horse faced howler monkey is why I'm concerned about Biden having an effect down ballot in the House.

I've already come to terms with the Democrats likely losing the Senate and that Moscow Mitch will be back in power.  There's little reason why the Democrats shouldn't win back the House, but if this Biden mess keeps leaking down onto them, we're not going to end up with the split government that I very much want.  MAGA will have a strong hold on the government.

The geriatrics and self-serving advisors running the Democratic Party need to get their act together.

I've been faking fun of Biden but I have to give him credit, when he made the Putin mistake it wasn't a bad save for a guy going through his cognitive decline.

6 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

MAGA worshippers like the horse faced howler monkey is why I'm concerned about Biden having an effect down ballot in the House.

I've already come to terms with the Democrats likely losing the Senate and that Moscow Mitch will be back in power.  There's little reason why the Democrats shouldn't win back the House, but if this Biden mess keeps leaking down onto them, we're not going to end up with the split government that I very much want.  MAGA will have a strong hold on the government.

The geriatrics and self-serving advisors running the Democratic Party need to get their act together.

Isn't McConnell on the way out? He's basically the Repubs answer to Biden.

Just now, bolt said:

All right wing and conservatives are Nazis - King Heffy

This particular politician almost certainly is though in her case fascist is the more appropriate term.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Isn't McConnell on the way out? He's basically the Repubs answer to Biden.

According to him, he's staying as senator until the end of his term in '26-27.  Unless they replace him or he resigns his leadership position before then, he'll become 4th in line to the presidency for a couple years.

**I just double checked to make sure I didn't miss anything and yep he's still minority leader of the Senate.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

According to him, he's staying as senator until the end of his term in '26-27.  Unless they replace him or he resigns his leadership position before then, he'll become 4th in line to the presidency for a couple years.

**I just double checked to make sure I didn't miss anything and yep he's still minority leader of the Senate.

Cocaine Mitch he holds an insane amount of power.  His wife is seriously questionable based on her alleged ties to certain nations/entities and bad habits

The GOP

"Biden is to old and his cognitive decline is to evident to let him be in power"

Also the GOP:  This is fine

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't share your pessimism I guess? I do think we have very different perspectives. 

There's been some big positives in the Trump/post-Trump era or whatever you want to call this timeframe, major one being the de-legitimatization of the corporate media/politicians & how transparent their dishonesty has become, along with the rise of the internet as the mainstream destination which has certainly aided their demise.

On-top of that we currently have an unbelievable representation of US democracy (which is failing), the media/social media responses to the on-going shit show are often deranged+comical, & the meme magic is glorious.

Life is too short to fall into the demoralization/fear mongering view in my humble opinion. And things could be far worse anyways.

Lastly, putting Ukraine aside, as far as Canada I'm much more concerned with the leaders inside our country than outside.

You don't think trump is a dishonest politician? 

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I absolutely wish I could remember where I was reading this statement (pretty sure it was an energy report)

But it had to do with the pentagons recent war chest regarding rare earth metals and how they had factored Canada in as the single best place to find them to ensure Chinese supremacy didn't hamper uS defensive capabilities.

A mining expert in Canada was asked outright about a Trump presidency and the knowledge that Trump would essentially force Canada to do with mining what we do with oil and sell to the US at a lower price or creating a separate market price for Canadian minerals to the benefit of the US

It was essentially said that, Canada doesn't have the same issues with China that Trump and the US do and that China is a major player in Canadian energy and resources and if Trump tried to force Canada to accept the US as a soul buyer for our resources that mining companies would have little to no issue just selling directly to China and India as we don't have the same restrictions at ports for mining materials as we do for oil.

Trump can still threaten to squeeze us out of the auto industry, tho. If we are forced to choose between China, India and the US, it's a pretty easy choice.