US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

14 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

I know Biden is getting criticized, but when will we get a 30 minute press conference on policy from TRUMP?   Not asking for much.  

https://www.rawstory.com/critics-wheres-trumps-hour-long-press-conference-with-policy-questions-from-reporters/

Critics: Where’s Trump’s hour-long press conference with policy questions from reporters?

Trump doesn't need to. The narrative on Joe Biden is set by the media, the strategy now is to stay quiet until Biden is locked in as the candidate at the convention then he'll do the media bombardment IMO. 

The Media also has a profit incentive to keep this race close. More engagement that way.

8 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Interesting. Sounds like alot of conspiratorial thinking going on here, as if the groundwork is pre-emptively being laid... And here I was told progressives fight against all 'conspiracies'. 

The problem with this is Trump was already in office, and he already left office with the power being peacefully transitioned, despite him simultaneously contesting the results.

So we already have irrefutable proof that 'the powers that be' are stronger than Trump. (Plus the result of that attempt by Trumps has been the 'powers that be' are trying to lock him up & prevent him from being a legitimate candidate for 2024 on top of his attempt just not working on its face)

So logically I just don't see how he'd realistically prevent legitimate elections indefinitely. He'd likely be killed (Thx Kootney) before he'd be in a position to consolidate power enough to run a dictatorship, which he wouldn't even be a position to obtain in the first place.    

I definitely agree with this as a legit possibility. Which would be absolutely insane if it happened. 

Hopefully it doesn't happen, it could turn things nasty. Peaceful fragmentation is far more preferable imo. 

I hope it does not come to this but the US has a history of assassinating presidents that are unpopular to the masses.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I hope it does not come to this but the US has a history of assassinating presidents that are unpopular to the masses.

Both Biden and Trump have a best before date stamped on their foreheads. I doubt either one lasts another 4 years. (Natural causes)

It certainly appears that Trump will be the next POTUS. All Canadians should be very concerned. Neither GOP or Dems are friendly trade partners. IMHO Canada should be charting a more independent trade direction. It sounds easy but is not. Canada's debt will put us in a very weak position to fight off aggressive trade restrictions. 

My knee jerk solution is to go all in on energy production with a sizable portion being exported overseas. Major investment to build oil production and LNG. The capital would come from private sources and government would gain tax revenue. Trump knows Canada is weak and likely thinks he can get a good deal on our resources. Why wouldn't he? That has been Canada's status for 100's of years. The USA scooped the LNG market away from Canada and is now making 100's of $ billions instead of Canada. Canada producing 8 - 10 billion bpd of oil and having half a dozen LNG plants the size of LNG Canada is totally doable. Do that and then renegotiate NFTA. It can be financed outside of government.  

25 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ukraine undertaking a "Special Extermination Operation" in the event of a Trump presidency.

9 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Interesting. Sounds like alot of conspiratorial thinking going on here, as if the groundwork is pre-emptively being laid... And here I was told progressives fight against all 'conspiracies'. 

So you think Project 2025 isn't pre-emptive groundwork?

9 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The problem with this is Trump was already in office, and he already left office with the power being peacefully transitioned, despite him simultaneously contesting the results.

Where were you on January 6? You call that peaceful transition? Contesting the results is a mildest way I can think of when referring to what was an attempt to illegally seize power at the hands of a violent mob? Are you serious or am I missing your point?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

IMHO Canada should be charting a more independent trade direction.

Canada has been working on that. We now have a free trade agreement with 10 other Pacific partners that does not include either China or the USA (CPTPP). We have also negotiated a free trade agreement with the European Union that does not include the USA (CETA) and are still working on trying to join the South American Mercosur trading block although that one is facing a number of hurdles.

From Wikipedia:

Canada is a founding member of the World Trade Organization (WTO) since 1 January 1995, having been an original GATT member since 1 January 1948.

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), which is held with Canada by the United States and Mexico, came into force on 1 January 1994, creating the largest free trade region in the world by GDP. By 2014, the combined GDP for the NAFTA area was estimated to be over Can$20 trillion with a market encompassing 474 million people.[6][7]

Building on that success, Canada continues to negotiate and has concluded free trade agreements with 51 countries,[5] most recently with South Korea, which represents Canada's first FTA with a partner in the Asia-Pacific region. As of 2018, Canada has also concluded two other significant multilateral trade agreements: the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) with the European Union and the 11-nation Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) with 10 other Pacific-Rim countries.[8] On 21 September 2017, CETA was provisionally applied, immediately eliminating 98% of EU's tariff lines on Canadian goods.[9] Canada is currently the only G7 country to have free trade agreements in force with all other G7 countries. Free trade with the final G7 country, Japan, commenced when the CPTPP entered into force on 30 December 2018.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

So you think Project 2025 isn't pre-emptive groundwork?

Where were you on January 6? You call that peaceful transition? Contesting the results is a mildest way I can think of when referring to what was an attempt to illegally seize power at the hands of a violent mob? Are you serious or am I missing your point?

He is downplaying it to make trump seem like  a legitimate candidate. He isn't. 

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

JFK and Reagan were unpopular?  Didn’t Reagan win every state?  

JFK was not as popular as you think. As for Reagan, I'm not sure what motivated his shooting. JFK had a lot of people riled up over the Vietnam war involvement and also the general unpopularity of his support of the civil rights movement. I remember the day Kennedy was assassinated; it was Friday Nov 22nd, I just got home from school and heard it on the TV. It was virtually all that was talked about that night as my dad and I along with two older cousins went to curl at the Big Four in the league we were a part of.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

INFO!!!

I can't find anything about this

8 min ago

Trump falls to the ground onstage at rally; unclear what is happening

Former President Donald Trump fell to the ground onstage at a rally in Pennsylvania.

This is breaking and will be updated.

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

8 min ago

Trump falls to the ground onstage at rally; unclear what is happening

Former President Donald Trump fell to the ground onstage at a rally in Pennsylvania.

This is breaking and will be updated.

Showed replay, think he was hit in the ear with a bullet.

• Sad 2

18 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

As for Reagan, I'm not sure what motivated his shooting. 

John Warnock Hinckley Jr. (born May 29, 1955) is an American man who attempted to assassinate U.S. President Ronald Reagan as he left the Hilton Hotel in Washington, D.C., on March 30, 1981, two months after Reagan's first inauguration.

Hinckley believed the attack would impress actress Jodie Foster, with whom he had developed an erotomanic obsession after viewing her in Martin Scorsese's 1976 film Taxi Driver.

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

That is absolutely disgusting.

Boo

Fucking

Hoo

This is a piece of shit that advocated violence against everyone and has threatened anyone speaking out against him if he takes power again.  Who has screamed long and loud about how and why everyone is allowed a gun while justifying mass shootings in schools and against minorities.

You reap what you fucking sow.

The problem here is, if he was in fact shot and merely injured he will win his election without even leaving his hospital bed.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Shooting at Trump rally just now, nothing known, Trump may be injured.

Fuckin Americans...I hate Trump, but you don't get to shoot people because you don't like what they say. Jeez Louise.

Blood on his ear, lucky he turned his head to talk about that misleading graph, looks like one of the first few rounds grazed him. Wow. Now I am stuck hoping that garbage human is going to be okay.

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1