US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

33 minutes ago, Odd. said:

ABC News which I’m watching live has said 2 killed. CBC is saying 1. 

Shooter is dead.

I don't want it to sound like I was I was totally discounting what you were saying.  I just found it odd (no pun intended) that news of the shooter wasn't everywhere.

The Secret Service has now spoken:

The shooter at the Donald Trump rally was killed by the Secret Service, according to a Secret Service source. An attendee was also killed during the incident.

Edited by Satchmo

1 minute ago, Heretic said:

This is scary crap.

Even worse, it could spark retaliation attempts.

Hopefully we can get an objective investigation that just sticks with facts.

But the fact it's political, it's going to be whackadoodle.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DSVII said:

And I disagree with you on the cultures. America has always been a melting pot of cultures that while may not get along, have worked together to make that nation the superpower it is today.  

Before Newt Gingrich, Democrats and Republicans used to work together in DC, even before that, they worked together in the trenches in WW2. That change in the political culture, plus. This plus the stripping of the Fairness doctrine under Reagan, which allowed networks like Fox and OAN to grow as 'entertainment' hubs, and Section 230 which allows Facebook and Google to absolve themselves of all responsibility for all the propaganda and harm that goes through their networks. It's not about control, but giving incentives for the corporations to act in ways that don't harm the nation's interests.

The pieces are already entrenched of course, like you said, but it isn't beneficial to just call it quits and dismantle America.

Correct I agree, & the current political model seeks to divide them into binary camps at every turn in the service of these mega parties controlling the population in perpetuity. 

The current state of the democracy isn't this honest debate of Dem vs Rep working together, each person having an opinion having a conversation to reach a mutual desired conclusion, exc. As you sort of describe in the past.

These parties are now so big & corrupt, that positive mythos of American democracy is evidently not present. Think about even the democrats, many leftists have wanted someone like Bernie, yet time & time again the powers that be in the democrat party force him to resign & support their chosen candidate. So even it operating properly is all about limiting options for everyone, driving everyone into this binary of warring factions, in service of their control. 

Its beneficial to break free from that & avoid either another civil war and/or authoritarianism. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

Because attempting to assassinate a former president and current presidential candidate, let alone a political figure, has a multitude of negative implications, and in extreme circumstances, can become a precursor for literal war, as history has shown. Especially when you factor in the tumultuous political climate specifically the US has been in over the past 4 years.

I don’t think people understand how detrimental of an act this was in hopes of achieving some sort of political normalcy. No matter what your feelings are of the guy, today is not a good day. These types of things can invoke retaliation.

I find it hard to believe at this moment of time to believe something like this could be staged. I also find it staggeringly shocking people from the left devolve into this crap of staged political talk. Especially when the main talking point the republicans have used over the last 4 years is that of a staged and fraud election and using that basis as a means to storm the capitol.

Yep. These liberal attitudes to this event are actually mindboggingly stupid.

People are going to get killed. Assassination attempts, especially when they're specifically politicized, are like a pressure cooker.

Reagan's attempt was more just some obsessed weirdo. If Trump's assassin is affiliated with any democratic/leftist groups, things could get very ugly, very fast.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Petey O said:

People are tiring of the liberal social order. This sort of escalation pretty much puts it into its death throes.

The world is going to change pretty quickly now. This is one of those events that shift the political and social climate.

And more people are tired of vermin like Trump attempting to nazify the country.  This should be taken as a warning that Trump and his supporters need to start acting like actual people to prevent stuff like this. 

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Because attempting to assassinate a former president and current presidential candidate, let alone a political figure, has a multitude of negative implications, and in extreme circumstances, can become a precursor for literal war, as history has shown. Especially when you factor in the tumultuous political climate specifically the US has been in over the past 4 years.

I don’t think people understand how detrimental of an act this was in hopes of achieving some sort of political normalcy. No matter what your feelings are of the guy, today is not a good day. These types of things can invoke retaliation.

I find it hard to believe at this moment of time to believe something like this could be staged. I also find it staggeringly shocking people from the left devolve into this crap of staged political talk. Especially when the main talking point the republicans have used over the last 4 years is that of a staged and fraud election and using that basis as a means to storm the capitol.

Many of your people called Sandy Hook a false flag and harassed the poor parents of children who died in that massacre. Look in the mirror if you want change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great now shit is really gonna hit the fan. 

Conspiracy theorists is gonna have a field day with this and radicalize a while bunch if people. 

Gonna be open season on politicians after this. 

Just now, King Heffy said:

And more people are tired of vermin like Trump attempting to nazify the country.  This should be taken as a warning that Trump and his supporters need to start acting like actual people to prevent stuff like this. 

Are you affiliated with the shooter in any way?

This is a really weird thing to say.

• Cheers 1

Just now, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Many of your people called Sandy Hook a false flag and harassed the poor parents of children who died in that massacre. Look in the mirror if you want change.

I highly suggest you start speaking for yourself and not for others. Otherwise you look incredibly stupid.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Petey O said:

Are you affiliated with the shooter in any way?

This is a really weird thing to say.

Not at all, but as a utilitarian, I can say I have a lot more respect for him than I do for Trump.

Just now, Petey O said:

Yep. These liberal attitudes to this event are actually mindboggingly stupid.

If one conservative says something I think is not right may I collectively blame all conservatives?   You guys all speak as one don't you? 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

If one conservative says something I think is not right may I collectively blame all conservatives?   You guys all speak as one don't you? 

I'm not a conservative.

• Haha 1

The Trump campaign is going to make martyrs of these people and plaster their faces everywhere.

If anyone can't see why this is the end of the democratic campaign (with any candidate tbh), you really aren't switched on politically at all.

1 minute ago, Petey O said:

The Trump campaign is going to make martyrs of these people and plaster their faces everywhere.

If anyone can't see why this is the end of the democratic campaign (with any candidate tbh), you really aren't switched on politically at all.

Your fever dreams mean absolutely nothing to most people capable of critical thought. 

Just now, Dizzle said:

You two are exactly what's wrong with the West. a Presidential candidate just got clipped by a bullet, an innocent bystander is dead and you're arguing about who's more stupid rather than taking a step back and considering that the repeated partisan diatribe might just be making things worse. Congratulations by the way, you both win the argument...

Asking people to not be political or partisan is asking people to go against their own human nature. Especially when religion, different moral systems, and different cultures exist within one nation.

Centrism really is just not realistic, and promoting it is going to get you nowhere. There are always sides. Most of the western world is divided down the middle in terms of those sides. The pressure is building, and things are bound to collapse.

1 minute ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Your fever dreams mean absolutely nothing to most people capable of critical thought. 

So, you don't think the Trump campaign are going to make martyrs of these people?

What did I say that isn't realistic? You've lost the plot if you don't think this changed the political climate completely, lol.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

two stabbings in South Central LA, shooting in Palmdale California, wife murdered by husband in Sacramento, a shooting and a stabbing in Denver. Three different shootings in Texas. Two shootings in Florida. Shooting in Atlanta. Driveby shooting in Kansas. 3 shootings in Iowa, 3 shootings in Minneapolis, 2 shootings in Kentucky, 7 shootings in Chicago. 2 shootings in Ohio. 3 shootings in Washington D.C. A shooting in Pittsburgh. And 1 shooting in Connecticut.

AND a shooting at the Trump Rally in Pennsylvania as well. 

ALL THIS HAPPENED IN THE LAST 24 HOURS IN THE MAINLAND USA.

36 events that ended in murder in the last 24 hours: and this is every single day in America. My word what a shit show. 

And yet somehow pp's sycophants are trying to paint Canada as "broken" and "crime-infested", because "fuck turdope". :classic_rolleyes:

• Upvote 3
  • ThereItIs 1