US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Political assassinations are the opposite of democracy.  So was was this:

image.jpeg.51c5905da957f9cbd8e9ab1ea176ca28.jpeg

image.jpeg

Absolutely. People are tiring of liberal democracy. That's my point.

It ran its course. It doesn't have a very long shelf life, and the natural inclination will be resorting to nationalism/tribal behavior once again.

Bukele is a dictator who is incredibly popular in his nation. Dictators (BRICS included) will use these events to promote their systems of governance and offer an alternative to liberal democracy.

It's a change that is happening, and there's honestly nothing that can be done to stop it.

• chaos 1

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

A utilitarian would certainly not respect an individual, who, in an attempt to kill a political figure, killed an innocent bystander and then go online to boast how good of a man said individual is.

A utilitarian would also see how detrimental this event is. Because of this would-be assassin, it's going to inspire future reprisals that are going to get a whole lot more innocent people killed.

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

A utilitarian would certainly not respect an individual, who, in an attempt to kill a political figure, killed an innocent bystander and then go online to boast how good of a man said individual is.

Objectively, the world is a better place with Trump dead than alive.  I can understand why the person who tried to bring that result did what he did, even if I don't agree with his method.  I didn't say he was a great man, just that he was better than the worthless piece of shit he shot.

• Wiener 1

3 minutes ago, Petey O said:

Absolutely. People are tiring of liberal democracy. That's my point.

It ran its course. It doesn't have a very long shelf life, and the natural inclination will be resorting to nationalism/tribal behavior once again.

Bukele is a dictator who is incredibly popular in his nation. Dictators (BRICS included) will use these events to promote their systems of governance and offer an alternative to liberal democracy.

It's a change that is happening, and there's honestly nothing that can be done to stop it.

Surely you aren't here trying to champion a dictatorship.

As someone mentioned, over a billion people voted in the last few months to repudiate the hard right politics. It's not going to be our experience in North America sure but hardly a verdict on how the world is shifting. 

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Petey O said:

Asking people to not be political or partisan is asking people to go against their own human nature. Especially when religion, different moral systems, and different cultures exist within one nation.

Centrism really is just not realistic, and promoting it is going to get you nowhere. There are always sides. Most of the western world is divided down the middle in terms of those sides. The pressure is building, and things are bound to collapse.

Assuming people can have strong disagreements and still live in the same neighbourhood, let alone country, doesn't make a person a centrist. Perhaps, however, my expectations of human decency, the power of reason and the importance of debate without constantly being offended or triggered belong to a bygone era as apparently everyone in the west is at odds (spoiler... I don't think that's as true as you claim, even if it is becoming more common).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

And yet somehow pp's sycophants are trying to paint Canada as "broken" and "crime-infested", because "fuck turdope". :classic_rolleyes:

Lol if you think Poilievre is bad from a liberal perspective, just wait for what's on the horizon.

Pierre is like a newborn kitty cat in comparison to what the norm will eventually be in terms of leaders if you're actually afraid of CPC rule.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Objectively, the world is a better place with Trump dead than alive.  I can understand why the person who tried to bring that result did what he did, even if I don't agree with his method.  I didn't say he was a great man, just that he was better than the worthless piece of shit he shot.

This kind of flawed thinking is pretty much exactly what caused today’s events. 

Morality doesn’t care about negligence or transferred intent.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Petey O said:

Lol if you think Poilievre is bad from a liberal perspective, just wait for what's on the horizon.

Pierre is like a newborn kitty cat in comparison to what the norm will eventually be in terms of leaders if you're actually afraid of CPC rule.

What are the 649 numbers for tonight's draw?

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Petey O said:

Do you think there are only two positions in politics? Liberals or Conservatives?

11 minutes ago, Petey O said:

Centrism really is just not realistic, and promoting it is going to get you nowhere. There are always sides. Most of the western world is divided down the middle in terms of those sides. The pressure is building, and things are bound to collapse.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Petey O said:

"Like a newborn kitty cat" lol Poilievre is just another shameless grifting Harper puppet pushing the exact same rhetoric that Scheer failed at. That O'Toole failed at. 

2 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Surely you aren't here trying to champion a dictatorship.

As someone mentioned, over a billion people voted in the last few months to repudiate the hard right politics. It's not going to be our experience in North America sure but hardly a verdict on how the world is shifting. 

Like I said, people are tiring of liberal democracy. Suicide rates are rising. The opioid epidemic is completely out of hand. Prices are rising across the board. Young people can't afford to buy houses and have families.

This is how nationalism starts. It's always how its started. When things get bad, and people are nihilistic, is when you get a Hitler, Mussollini, Franco, etc. And they will have popular support.

This is human nature. We're seeing this again. And lots of people are going to die.

• Confused 2

45 minutes ago, bolt said:

If Biden were an actual leader and still awake at 7:00 PM on a Saturday night -- he would immediately hold a live news conference and tell his people this is not the way.

Wrong again Mr. Bolt.

Biden: "There's no place in America for this kind of violence"

President Joe Biden speaks on Saturday, July 13, in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.

President Joe Biden speaks on Saturday, July 13, in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. 

Manuel Balce Ceneta/AP

President Joe Biden condemned the shooting at Donald Trump’s rally and said: “There’s no place in America for this kind of violence.”

“It’s sick, it’s one of the reasons we have to unite this country,” he said, speaking from Delaware. “We cannot allow for this to be happening. We cannot be like this, we cannot condone this.”

Biden added that he’s tried to get in touch with Trump, noting that the former president is with his doctors and appears to be doing well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Petey O said:

Like I said, people are tiring of liberal democracy. Suicide rates are rising. The opioid epidemic is completely out of hand. Prices are rising across the board. Young people can't afford to buy houses and have families.

This is how nationalism starts. It's always how its started. When things get bad, and people are nihilistic, is when you get a Hitler, Mussollini, Franco, etc. And they will have popular support.

This is human nature. We're seeing this again. And lots of people are going to die.

Which is why Nazi vermin like Trump and Poilivre need to be kept out of power.

7 minutes ago, Petey O said:

So, you don't think the Trump campaign are going to make martyrs of these people?

What did I say that isn't realistic? You've lost the plot if you don't think this changed the political climate completely, lol.

Like Ashley Babbit? Nobody is switching their vote to republican after this. Especially since the democrats have come out en masse to condemn it. If you're talking about violence from the right, yeah maybe. They've been advocating violence for years anyway, why change now? Let's see if any high ranking republicans call for civility instead of civil war. I'm not holding my breath.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, bolt said:

Democrats will play up Jan 6 and now the Republicans will play up July 13.  

Nothing good will come of this. Just more division and anger leading to who knows what.

Only if you choose to.

2 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

So, you actually think there are three positions?

Liberal, centrist, conservative?

Bro, do some research. What do you think fascism is? What do you think what Russia is doing with its Duginist fourth position stuff? What do you think Stalinism was?

There is also far left nationalism as well. Nationalism in general completely falls out of the spectrum of what you are used to. It's going to get more and more popular as time goes on. It always does.

There's so much more to this than you have any clue about.

5 minutes ago, Petey O said:

Do you think there are only two positions in politics? Liberals or Conservatives?

In today's climate, that's what people are pigeonholed into being labeled as.

Or did you not mean that liberalism (the left) is moral syphilis?

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Like Ashley Babbit? Nobody is switching their vote to republican after this. Especially since the democrats have come out en masse to condemn it. If you're talking about violence from the right, yeah maybe. They've been advocating violence for years anyway, why change now? Let's see if any high ranking republicans call for civility instead of civil war. I'm not holding my breath.

This may swing a few of the uncommitted voters, especially the imagery of it all. But you are right in the sense that by and large, the people who've made up their minds will not have their opinion changed. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

In today's climate, that's what people are pigeonholed into being labeled as.

Or did you not mean that liberalism (the left) is moral syphilis?

I didn't say "the left" was moral syphilis.

I said that liberalism was. Liberalism isn't the only leftist position.