US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

7 hours ago, bolt said:

If Biden were an actual leader and still awake at 7:00 PM on a Saturday night -- he would immediately hold a live news conference and tell his people this is not the way.

He placed a call directly to Trump instead. He was concerned about Trump’s well being. It’s been widely reported.

Most people on here actually are condemning this senseless act of violence. It’s not really about some failure on Biden’s part. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Breaking news: Hillary Clinton was seen jumping into a getaway car driven by Warhippy, police are now looking for a white Bronco.

Note, for the record not true, totally made up in the spirit of humor.

Lock her them up!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Fan Abroad said:

You should be perma banned with Heffy

For what?

You cancelling me?  Censoring my freedom of expression?

Oh....no.  Please sir, please don't go get a manager.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I question people who say 130 yards is a easy shot.

Is it easier than say 200 yards yes? I shoot my lever gun with buckhorn sights at 25 yards at an indoor range, free hand. Center mass, yup. Head not so easy.

Now a properly sighted scope, with a bipod or sandbag yes you can do it. But when hear people go on about how easy of a shot is, there's a lot of factors.

Is the target moving? How fast? What's the wind like? (Longer the distance the more wind screws your targeting)

Real life is not Call of Duty.

I agree that 130 yards with a rifle isn't easy, but is doable.  I've shot .303 Enfield with a peep site and hit targets at that kind of range (no way a head shot).  Pistol, no way. 

Thing is, even trained people can have trouble shooting at a person for the first time and will have a tendency to miss with some of their first shots.

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

For what?

You cancelling me?  Censoring my freedom of expression?

Oh....no.  Please sir, please don't go get a manager.

How do I know that you are not some wacko sitting in some basement with a fuse that has almost burnt to the gunpowder? See you and Heffy keep talking up the world would be a better place and the Nazi should die... but almost all of Germany supported the Nazi party and even worse, the concentration camps. Do you know why? Their hate which was little at first was fanned and manipulated until they became slaves to it and Hitler was able to take them to the places he wanted. 

By coming here saying the things that you are saying and getting some semblance of acceptance from the others here is fueling your hate and making you more a slave to it and you are putting yourself and everyone around you at danger so you should be removed so that kind of hate has no platform

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Fan Abroad said:

How do I know that you are not some wacko sitting in some basement with a fuse that has almost burnt to the gunpowder? See you and Heffy keep talking up the world would be a better place and the Nazi should die... but almost all of Germany supported the Nazi party and even worse, the concentration camps. Do you know why? Their hate which was little at first was fanned and manipulated until they became slaves to it and Hitler was able to take them to the places he wanted. 

By coming here saying the things that you are saying and getting some semblance of acceptance from the others here is fueling your hate and making you more a slave to it and you are putting yourself and everyone around you at danger so you should be removed so that kind of hate has no platform

Sure thing Doc.  Now, tell me why I am afraid of flourescent lighting

• Haha 3
  • Wiener 1

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Sure thing Doc.  Now, tell me why I am afraid of flourescent lighting

Fluorescent lights contain mercury but my bet is you’re referring to UV light which actually does a great job of killing living things, either way, no need to be scared, just don’t expose yourself to either, really, pretty basic common sense.

People on Twitter are slam dunking that the named shooter was a registered Republican.  I even fell for it for well over an hour until I realized, then confirmed through Google, that Pennsylvania has closed party primaries. 

Both party's members, register as the other party in order to try and mess with a front runner from the opposite side from winning the state.

It's a stupid game because it never works and is very petty.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

People on Twitter are slam dunking that the named shooter was a registered Republican.  I even fell for it for well over an hour until I realized, then confirmed through Google, that Pennsylvania has closed party primaries. 

Both party's members, register as the other party in order to try and mess with a front runner from the opposite side from winning the state.

I think it's the other way round

https://fairvote.org/archives/open-and-closed-primaries/

"One area of contention in open primaries is “crossover” voting. It most often involves voters affiliated with one political party voting in the primary of another political party to influence that party’s nomination. For example, if a district routinely elects the Democratic nominee, Republican voters may vote in the Democratic party primary to attempt to influence the outcome. This could be a good-faith attempt to select a more conservative Democratic nominee who would be palatable to the Republican voters, or it could be sabotage, an attempt to nominate a weaker candidate who is easier to defeat in the general election."

Edited by Rubik

Just now, Rubik said:

I thin it's the other way round

"One area of contention in open primaries is “crossover” voting. It most often involves voters affiliated with one political party voting in the primary of another political party to influence that party’s nomination. For example, if a district routinely elects the Democratic nominee, Republican voters may vote in the Democratic party primary to attempt to influence the outcome. This could be a good-faith attempt to select a more conservative Democratic nominee who would be palatable to the Republican voters, or it could be sabotage, an attempt to nominate a weaker candidate who is easier to defeat in the general election."

That's what I said isn't it?  I know it's late here so half my brain could be asleep... 

27 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

2 minutes ago, Rubik said:

I thin it's the other way round

Yep.  That's what I said.  I got worried for a second that I was only half awake or something.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Yep.  That's what I said.  I got worried for a second that I was only half awake or something.

you said that Pennsylvania has closed primary elections and that many people vote for the other party to mess with the outcome (crossover voting).

But in the link I posted it says that crossover voting is usually associated with open primaries.

But I don't know, maybe I'm the one who misunderstands sth.

• chaos 1

2 minutes ago, Rubik said:

you said that Pennsylvania has closed primary elections and that many people vote for the other party to mess with the outcome (crossover voting).

But in the link I posted it says that crossover voting is usually associated with open primaries.

But I don't know, maybe I'm the one who misunderstands sth.

Oh ok.  I see what you're pointing out now.  That's true that it's more prevalent in open-primary states for sure.  That's the law of averages at work.  More eligible voters = more shenanigans.

But it also happens in closed primary states.  Problem is, like I said, that it's a stupid game, it never ever works in closed primary states.  People voting for Nikki Haley this last time proved that.

3 hours ago, Fan Abroad said:

Good, so you agree that Nazism has no place in a civilized society and we should stop treating Trump and the vermin who support him the same as actual people.  .

• Wiener 3

58 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Good, so you agree that Nazism has no place in a civilized society and we should stop treating Trump and the vermin who support him the same as actual people.  .

Wow, what does War Hippy, ghostof1915 and Bob Long think of comments like this?  

Edited by bolt

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Which killed more Communism or Nazism?

I intentionally avoided this thread last night because I knew it would take time to get some concrete information. Can someone give me the run down of what we know so far about the assassination attempt? My understanding is there is some controversy around the shooter's identity. I saw a news headline last night saying the shooter and 1 rally attendee were dead. Has this number grown?