US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I intentionally avoided this thread last night because I knew it would take time to get some concrete information. Can someone give me the run down of what we know so far about the assassination attempt? My understanding is there is some controversy around the shooter's identity. I saw a news headline last night saying the shooter and 1 rally attendee were dead. Has this number grown?

Sounds like the FBI knows who the shooter is and are working on motive.

Other than that, it's the discussion you'd expect. You didn't miss anything.

• Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

12 hours ago, Petey O said:

Democrats blocked it.

The claim that any security requests were blocked does not appear to be true as per the NYT and others. 

Authorities handling security at the Saturday rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, where former President Donald Trump survived an assassination attempt, are pushing back on claims that Trump was denied requests for additional security.

The US Secret Service has called the claim “absolutely false.”

“There’s an untrue assertion that a member of the former President’s team requested additional security resources & that those were rebuffed. This is absolutely false. In fact, we added protective resources & technology & capabilities as part of the increased campaign travel tempo,” Secret Service Chief of Communications Anthony

Guglielmi wrote in a post on X Sunday morning. 

The FBI also pushed back on the implication Saturday night.

“There was no additional request for security that was ever denied by the FBI,” Kevin Rojek, the FBI special agent in charge of the Pittsburgh office, said during a news conference Saturday night.

At least one lawmaker, Rep. Mike Waltz of Florida, has publicly claimed on social media that Trump’s requests for heightened security were rejected.

Department of Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas released a statement regarding the shooting, where he said the DHS and Secret Service are jointly working with law enforcement on the investigation.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

The claim that any security requests were blocked does not appear to be true as per the NYT and others. 

Authorities handling security at the Saturday rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, where former President Donald Trump survived an assassination attempt, are pushing back on claims that Trump was denied requests for additional security.

The US Secret Service has called the claim “absolutely false.”

“There’s an untrue assertion that a member of the former President’s team requested additional security resources & that those were rebuffed. This is absolutely false. In fact, we added protective resources & technology & capabilities as part of the increased campaign travel tempo,” Secret Service Chief of Communications Anthony

Guglielmi wrote in a post on X Sunday morning. 

The FBI also pushed back on the implication Saturday night.

“There was no additional request for security that was ever denied by the FBI,” Kevin Rojek, the FBI special agent in charge of the Pittsburgh office, said during a news conference Saturday night.

At least one lawmaker, Rep. Mike Waltz of Florida, has publicly claimed on social media that Trump’s requests for heightened security were rejected.

Department of Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas released a statement regarding the shooting, where he said the DHS and Secret Service are jointly working with law enforcement on the investigation.

Let's hope this doesn't spiral out of control. There is enough video to throw much suspicion about the security provided. It will be used. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Shooter has been identified as 20yr old Thomas Matthew Crooks who is from Pennsylvania and is registered as a Republican on the voters list.

The spin on this guy's political affiliations and beliefs is going to be insane and have already started. I'll wait another 24-48 hours for more info...

This guy was 12 when Trump got elected the first time. He really had his formative years inundated by this polarizing environment.  Be careful what you have on your feeds and what social media your kids are exposed to. Can't say that enough. We need regulation around social media the same way we have around cigarettes and liquor.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, DSVII said:

The spin on this guy's political affiliations and beliefs is going to be insane and have already started. I'll wait another 24-48 hours for more info...

This guy was 12 when Trump got elected the first time. He really had his formative years inundated by this polarizing environment.  Be careful what you have on your feeds and what social media your kids are exposed to. Can't say that enough. We need regulation around social media the same way we have around cigarettes and liquor.

I was very much surprised by his age, I was expecting it to be someone much older. The political affiliation was also a surprise. Guess you just never know.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

If details are accuatate, it sounds like it was just another lonely, disgruntled kid looking for some fame with an ar-15.  

Is this the incident where the us finally has a sensible discussion on gun control?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

For what?

You cancelling me?  Censoring my freedom of expression?

Oh....no.  Please sir, please don't go get a manager.

Sir, I may not agree with much of what you post, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. 

As for this whole assassination deal, while we may not like certain politicians, political violence is not the answer. The saddest part of all this is the innocent life that was lost. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

If details are accuatate, it sounds like it was just another lonely, disgruntled kid looking for some fame with an ar-15.  

I tend to agree with that but the political spin from both sides will paint an entirely different picture

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Although political pundits are not going to spin it that way, I think your assessment is very accurate.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Is this the incident where the us finally has a sensible discussion on gun control?

No.
I was reading that in Alabama, Oklahoma and Florence I believe, they have vending machines that sell ammunition.

Granted it is AI type of machine and it does verify your identity but to me it’s mind boggling that bullets can be purchased from a vending machine.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

He placed a call directly to Trump instead. He was concerned about Trump’s well being. It’s been widely reported.

Most people on here actually are condemning this senseless act of violence. It’s not really about some failure on Biden’s part. 

Biden literally tweeted out last week its time to put a bullseye on trump. He doesn't give a rats ass if he's assassinated. They have been trying to get rid of him for years. First  election interference, then trying to throw him in jail, finally this was there last option. Bidens administration caused all this and that tweet sent out by his party was a PR move to save face. Blinders are on in full force 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Desmenko 1

2 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Biden literally tweeted out last week it’s time to put a bullseye on trump. He doesn't give a rats ass if he's assassinated. They have been trying to get rid of him for years. First  election interference, then trying to throw him in jail, finally this was their last option. Bidens administration caused all this and that tweet sent out by his party was a PR move to save face. Blinders are on in full force 

You have quite an imagination, you should try writing sci-fi stories.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Shooter has been identified as 20yr old Thomas Matthew Crooks who is from Pennsylvania and is registered as a Republican on the voters list.

14 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

Sir, I may not agree with much of what you post, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. 

As for this whole assassination deal, while we may not like certain politicians, political violence is not the answer. The saddest part of all this is the innocent life that was lost. 

While I disagree with assassination of a leader or leadership hopeful.

My feelings are due to the individual as an individual.

The amount of allegations made by the volume of women/teens regarding this person's behaviour are too great to discount.

We put dogs down for less and while I may not agree with the idea of outright murder I do not feel bad sad or upset at all, let alone shocked; that someone took a shot at him because of his nature

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

It's a sign of a sick and broken society where the right wing is racing to paint it as a leftist attack and to those pointing to the shooter being a registered Republican voter.... 2 far right nationalists in PP and the outgoing UK Prime Minister used to to enflame the debate ( PP comments about being glad the shooter is dead is a bizarre statement in the context as is the UK leaders blaming media ).

Much like most mass shooters in the USA it's a deranged person. They could have just as easily picked another target .... 

The fact that the last several years these nationalist leaders have focused on campaigns telling people who to hate is giving rise to violence and the break down in civil behavior on both sides of the border 

I get it hate sells and hate farming yields fantastic results ..... But before we pass the point of no return it's time for nationalist leaders to turn down the rehtoeic.

This is the natural path society takes when we are told that we must hate the other side and person .... 

I'm glad Trump is ok .... Saddened that someone got killed just for attending a politically rally ..   violence is not the answer and never will be. But on both sides of the border they have those on both extremes so enraged that although saddened by it ... No one is surprised by it

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 2