US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The secret service is not 'the cops', its supposed to be the greatest security detail on planet earth, and they are protecting the #1 target in America, so yes there needs to be alot of explaining.

And the Hoover Dam is a marvel of the world, a super duper dam and no country has as big a dam.

America is the home of the great upsell.

They tell themselves, and the world that they have/are the greatest and the best at everything.

People get told how great something is, they tend to eventually believe it.

People fuck up, because they are human, cops are human, thus cops can fuck up.

The simplest answer is generally the right one.

I'm sure, that when the appropriate reports are done on this, almost no one, in the general public, will bother to read them; not when they can quick scan a headline from "Sam in his mom's basement" and Sam will probably not bother to read any of the reports either. Won't stop him from spreading bullshit, that a bunch of people will believe.

Because it will confirm what they think, and people just love believing their right.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I'd much do it for them than I'd do it for you.

Then do it and post the receipts.

Prove your virtue rather than signalling it.

Prove you're not a fake that these people scoff at when you treat them overly nice in your day to day life.

If you truly care about their alleged suffering, put them up and make a sacrifice in your life for people in need.

7 minutes ago, Petey O said:

Notice anything about every single person in that video?

Ahh. Beautiful.

Oh wait, there's one black guy. I bet he's a nice guy and only visiting. Wholesome.

1 minute ago, Petey O said:

Then do it and post the receipts.

Prove your virtue rather than signalling it.

Prove you're not a fake that these people scoff at when you treat them overly nice in your day to day life.

If you truly care about their alleged suffering, put them up and make a sacrifice in your life for people in need.

Racists don't get to tell me what to do.  The less your kind respects me, the happier I am.

12 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The secret service is not 'the cops', its supposed to be the greatest security detail on planet earth, and they are protecting the #1 target in America, so yes there needs to be alot of explaining.

Two things.

TRUMP is not POTUS.  POTUS has the best security there is.  Former presidents get a security detail, but it is not equivalent to the security that POTUS gets.

Candidates for POTUS also get a detail that is ramped up when the general election starts (that is around convention time).  RFK Jr. bitched about this early on.

Also, the security for campaign events like this are supplemented by local law enforcement on TRUMP's dime.  He has routinely stiffed cities for events like this.  I'd be willing to bet there wasn't the absolute best staffed local detail as long as TRUMP was having to pay.  Probably only by cops at regular time.  No overtime.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

And the Hoover Dam is a marvel of the world, a super duper dam and no country has as big a dam.

America is the home of the great upsell.

They tell themselves, and the world that they have/are the greatest and the best at everything.

People get told how great something is, they tend to eventually believe it.

People fuck up, because they are human, cops are human, thus cops can fuck up.

The simplest answer is generally the right one.

I'm sure, that when the appropriate reports are done on this, almost no one, in the general public, will bother to read them; not when they can quick scan a headline from "Sam in his mom's basement" and Sam will probably not bother to read any of the reports either. Won't stop him from spreading bullshit, that a bunch of people will believe.

Because it will confirm what they think, and people just love believing their right.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Okay lets say its not the greatest then.

America is the greatest superpower the world has ever seen, with the biggest military the world has ever seen, and the most robust agencies the world has ever seen, including the SS.

At the very least the SS is up there, and this was a catastrophic failure, extremely gross incompetence

- Didn't secure the area despite doing an extensive walk through the prior day including identifying the roof

- Left the most obvious sniper nest available & unguarded in a venue with very few viable sniping areas

- Didn't get Trump out prior to the shooting after the shooter had already been identified with more than enough time to do so

- Didn't shoot the target prior to the shot, despite having a line on him & being authorized to shoot

There's no way a top private security service would fail this badly, it needs explaining. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Racists don't get to tell me what to do.  The less your kind respects me, the happier I am.

You don't think other liberals and refugees would respect you if you housed people in need?

Interesting.

3 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Two things.

TRUMP is not POTUS.  POTUS has the best security there is.  Former presidents get a security detail, but it is not equivalent to the security that POTUS gets.

Candidates for POTUS also get a detail that is ramped up when the general election starts (that is around convention time).  RFK Jr. bitched about this early on.

Also, the security for campaign events like this are supplemented by local law enforcement on TRUMP's dime.  He has routinely stiffed cities for events like this.  I'd be willing to bet there wasn't the absolute best staffed local detail as long as TRUMP was having to pay.  Probably only by cops at regular time.  No overtime.

They literally did a walkthrough of the venue the day prior, identified the roof as a potential danger, then proceeded to leave it entirely open & unguarded in an area where there were basically no other prime sniper nests.

Then also didn't get Trump out when the shooter had already been identified & pointed out to security at the event as setting up.

This is a 'error' so far beyond the pale. I know RFK wanted the SS, if I were him & Trump I'd get private security. 

As we keep arguing online here on politics, just remember we are still on the same team once hockey starts. 

Just saw a documentary on why Messier was hated in Vancouver. 

I think we will get unanimous agreement on his time as a Canucks. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

They literally did a walkthrough of the venue the day prior, identified the roof as a potential danger, then proceeded to leave it entirely open & unguarded in an area where there were basically no other prime sniper nests.

Then also didn't get Trump out when the shooter had already been identified & pointed out to security at the event as setting up.

This is a 'error' so far beyond the pale. I know RFK wanted the SS, if I were him & Trump I'd get private security. 

Well, maybe SS doesn't want to take the bullet for an asshole who calls veterans and those who died idiots and suckers. Just maybe...

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Petey O said:

Nice song. I much preferred this one from Bad Religion, though:

This was great unintentional propaganda for us. Plus, it's as catchy as ever.

I don't usually like joining in with people to put some one down...however your posts/thoughts are repugnant.

Greg was referencing people like you when he wrote this song

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Then they aren't doing their job & need to be overhauled. 

Maybe a major one is needed. 

Plenty of scandals with SS. One was recently removed, Apr 2024.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/secret-service-agent-removed-kamala-harris-detail-distressing-behavior-rcna149462

Secret Service removes agent from Kamala Harris' detail after 'distressing' behavior

June 2023:

https://www.businessinsider.com/secret-service-missed-intruder-because-they-were-on-their-cellphones-2023-6

Secret Service agents didn't see an intruder get into a Biden official's home because they were distracted on their cellphones

And some suspended, Apr 2022:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/secret-service-agents-suspended-bribery-plot-170142622.html

And more here over the years:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2014/10/01/a-shortlist-of-recent-secret-service-scandals/

A shortlist of recent Secret Service scandals

Members of the US Secret Service Uniformed Division stand guard outside the White House in Washington, DC, September 22, 2014. AFP PHOTO / Saul LOEBSAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images

This week, The Washington Post has reported misstep after misstep by the Secret Service. The agency has had a difficult few years, plagued by reports of agent misconduct and operational failures, with revelations of some incidents only emerging years after the fact. Herein, the top 10 recent Secret Service headaches:

November 24, 2009: Michaele and Tareq Salahi crash White House dinner

During a state dinner for Indian Prime Minister Singh, reality television stars Michaele and Tareq Salahi, who were not invited to the event, managed to pass through two security check points and meet President Obama. Then-White House press secretary Robert Gibbs told CNN "the president was concerned about the security breach here, as was the Secret Service. The Secret Service is evaluating their procedures."

April 13, 2012: Cartagena prostitution scandal

Ahead of the 2012 Summit of the Americas in Cartagena, Colombia, a dozen agents were caught soliciting prostitutes at the Hotel Caribe. On Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, President Obama said "the Secret Service, these guys are incredible. They protect me. They protect our girls. A couple of knuckleheads shouldn't detract from what they do. What they were thinking, I don't know. That's why they're not there anymore.”

🏛️

Follow Politics

November 14, 2013: Agent leaves bullet inside woman’s hotel room

Ignacio Zamora, a Secret Service agent on Obama’s detail, left a bullet in a Hay-Adams hotel room where he had been staying with a woman. Zamora was caught trying to force his way into the room to retrieve the bullet. An investigation found that Zamora and another supervisor, Timothy Barraclough, had sent suggestive emails to a female colleague. Both were suspended. “Periodically we have isolated incidents of misconduct, just like every organization does,” Secret Service spokesman Ed Donovan said at the time.

December 11, 2013: Fake sign language interpreter stands onstage with Obama

During Nelson Mandela’s funeral, Thamsanqa Jantjie -- a sign language interpreter who didn't actually seem to know any sign language, had faked his security credentials and was under treatment for schizophrenia -- stood three feet away from President Obama during the president's entire remarks. U.S. officials blamed South Africa for the lax security arrangements ahead of a whirlwind visit from the president. Then White House press secretary Jay Carney said of the Secret Service “they worked very hard on this trip, which came about on short notice. But they, as they always do, took the precautions necessary to ensure the president’s safety.”

March 26, 2014: Agents found drunk in hotel ahead of European summit

Three agents on the president’s detail were put on leave after spending a night drinking in Amsterdam a day before Obama arrived for the summit. Hotel staff alerted the U.S. embassy in the Netherlands after one of the agents was found passed out in a hallway. Secret Service spokesman Ed Dovovan confirmed at that the time that the agency had sent “three employees home for disciplinary reasons.” Jay Carney sounded a tougher note this time. "Generally, the president believes, as he has said in the past, that everybody representing the United States of America overseas needs to hold himself or herself to the highest standards and he supports [Secret Service Director Julia Pierson's] zero-tolerance approach on these matters," he said.

March 27, 2014: Two counter-snipers involved in car accident in Florida

Soon after the incident in Amsterdam, it was reported that two counter-sniper officers were suspected of drinking and then getting into a late-night car accident while President Obama was visiting Florida. Matthew Reyes, one of the agents, had a "slight odor" of alcohol on his breath. Spokesman Ed Donovan said agents had been sent home out of "an abundance of caution."

May 10, 2014: Operation Moonlight

The Washington Post revealed that three years earlier, top Secret Service officials had been removed from patrolling the White House to protect a personal friend of then-agency director Mark Sullivan. During "Operation Moonlight," two agents were diverted twice a day to La Plata, Maryland, the home of Sullivan's assistant Lisa Chopey.

September 27, 2014: Secret Service fumbled response to 2011 shooting

The Washington Post revealed last week that the Secret Service had bungled their response to the White House shooting incident involving Oscar R. Ortega-Hernandez in November 2011. Agents were ordered to “stand down” and the bullets were not discovered until five days later.  "The president and first lady, like all parents, are concerned about the safety of their children," said White House spokesman Josh Earnest. "But the president and first lady also have confidence in the men and women of the Secret Service to do a very important job."

September 29, 2014: Fence jumper made it in to East Room of the White House

Omar Gonzalez, who jumped the fence of the White House earlier this month, managed to make into the East Room – much further than the Secret Service had previously acknowledged. The Washington Post later revealed that Gonzalez had overpowered one agent and was only tackled by an off-duty member of the Secret Service as he reached the Green Room. In response, Josh Earnest said balancing access and security to the White House presents a "significant challenge for the Secret Service" but they are "continually looking for ways to improve on it." The president, he said, "continues to have confidence in their ability to perform their very difficult function."

September 30, 2014: Convicted felon contractor was on elevator with Obama

During a trip to Atlanta on September 16, an armed security contractor managed to get on an elevator with the president. The contractor attracted the attention of agents when he was seen acting oddly -- and the Secret Service were later surprised to find he had been armed during his encounter with Obama. Both the Secret Service and White House declined to comment on this incident.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So... they can't get into his cell phone? But can make the determination he acted alone

How is the FBI not capable of getting data from a cell phone??? Its not possible they are that incompetent.

They can get any data off any phone from any American at any given time but they cant get his? Sounds like a load of crap to me. 

• ThereItIs 1

28 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So... they can't get into his cell phone? But can make the determination he acted alone

How is the FBI not capable of getting data from a cell phone??? Its not possible they are that incompetent.

22 minutes ago, 6YPE said:

They can get any data off any phone from any American at any given time but they cant get his? Sounds like a load of crap to me. 

Most likely an iPhone.  Apple ramped up their encryption to the nth degree a few years back and the 3-letter agencies flipped out and complained about it.  Now they'll go back to the lawmakers in an effort to force Apple to install back doors into people's iPhones.

Or they did get into it, but are full of crap about not being able to, and it had nothing of interest on it, but are using this to their advantage to get a new law passed that they previously tried to get passed but failed. 

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

Most likely an iPhone.  Apple ramped up their encryption to the nth degree a few years back and the 3-letter agencies flipped out and complained about it.  Now they'll go to lawmakers in an effort to force Apple to install back doors into people's iPhones.

Or they did get into it, but are full of crap about not being able to, and it had nothing of interest on it, but are using this to their advantage to get a new law passed that they previously tried to get passed but failed. 

Its amazing that the US has simultaneously the most powerful agencies' in human history & at other times seemingly the most incompetent. 

1 hour ago, Petey O said:

Nice song. I much preferred this one from Bad Religion, though:

This was great unintentional propaganda for us. Plus, it's as catchy as ever.

Who is the "us" you speak of?

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Its amazing that the US has simultaneously the most powerful agencies' in human history & at other times seemingly the most incompetent. 

That's what happens when the turnover at the top happens every few years.   People get put into these spots often for political reasons just as much as for their ability to do the job.

Look at Betsy Devos.  She was the Secretary of Education.  Her qualifications?  She donated an as*load of money to the person who got elected.