US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

9 minutes ago, Slegr said:

If Trump was assassinated that night, I think there's a very good chance we'd have chaos and anarchy in the streets across the US right now. He's got enough deranged followers that it may have been enough to start their civil war. Maybe we'll see a new Donald Trump out of this whole experience. I have never been a Trump fan, but I'm not particularly a fan of the Democrats and Mr. Burns / Biden either. There were really no good feasible choices in the coming US election, and if Biden refuses to hang it up to offer a new choice there, maybe an enlightened Trump, who seemed destined to win this next election anyway, is better than a Trump who never saw his life nearly taken away. I guess we'll see. 

In the immediate aftermath, I absolutely agree.  But, in the end, the world would be much much much better off

Just now, stawns said:

Would Germans have followed Goebbels or Himmler or Goring?  

Not a chance......and even if someone else took over, it never would have been the samr

not the same, no. And maybe they do continue to follow one of those guys. We have no idea if an alternate path would be "better" or not, it's all conjecture.

I also don't really buy into the "trump = hitler" thing. He's his own movement with very different conditions. We don't focus on whats happening today correctly with this analogy, imo. 

If the democrats had an electable leader, none of this matters. 

• Cheers 2

43 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Not sure how credible the source is, but also heard this last night on news broadcasts.

If you "can't reach your weapon" you may be doing it wrong. Isn't that the point? To go up there "prepared". Although easy for me to say....if someone had a gun pointed at me I'd duck too.

I thought people in the crowd said he used a ladder to get up?

If true how does this guy enter the venue seen by Police, get lost in the crowd & then just have a ladder available??

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

not sure how we can say with certainty anything would be better, had the shooter been successful. The cult isn't going away, and they'd have a martyr. Maybe it even grows after a successful hit. 

People misdiagnose Trump as the river when he's actually the dam

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

those hard core maga's were evangelicals before trump came along. The conditions for their political views are still there the morning after. IMO you'd cement them in once they had a martyr. 

So as a movement, why would it disappear? they'd just put up another false idol, or wait for Barron. 

If Trump had created the conditions for the movement, maybe I could see it, but it was there already. 

I don't think all magas are evangelicals at all, there are many religious Republicans in the anti-Trump camp. The Trump 'movement' captured alot of them for sure but also new kinds of voters as the political 'spectrum' shifted.

100% agree on your last part

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

People misdiagnose Trump as the river when he's actually the dam

yep this is how I see it too. It might take a bit of time to find someone else to coalesce the movement, but imo it doesn't fall apart the day after trump is killed. It's now a movement, that will be around for a long time. 

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't think all magas are evangelicals at all, there are many religious Republicans in the anti-Trump camp. The Trump 'movement' captured alot of them for sure but also new kinds of voters as the political spectrum shifted.

100% agree on your last part

oh for sure not all maga's are evangelical, but that voting block is a massive part of it. Without them trump can't win. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

not the same, no. And maybe they do continue to follow one of those guys. We have no idea if an alternate path would be "better" or not, it's all conjecture.

I also don't really buy into the "trump = hitler" thing. He's his own movement with very different conditions. We don't focus on whats happening today correctly with this analogy, imo. 

If the democrats had an electable leader, none of this matters. 

A cult of personality depends on exactly one thing..........the personality.  They won't follow anyone else like that

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

A cult of personality depends on exactly one thing..........the personality.  They won't follow anyone else like that

but its not just about his personality. The evangelical political voting block is still there the morning after, and they won't be switching to democrat. 

imo the democrats have done a terrible job on succession. The last electable person was Hillary, and really only because of the distinction with Trump early on. She was not even that popular with democrats anymore. 

The liberals in Canada have done the same thing with Trudeau. There's a massive leadership void after him.

I don't know if this current version of the democrats have it in them to focus, tho. 

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

but its not just about his personality. The evangelical political voting block is still there the morning after, and they won't be switching to democrat. 

It's not just about his personality? 

Cmon

This is actually good news for Jack Smith ,

Speeds up the process .

Cannon should be dis barred regardless.

MAJOR BREAKING: Judge Aileen Cannon has just DROPPED the classified documents case. 

This is NOT the good news it first seems. Here’s why:

Jack Smith can now IMMEDIATELY appeal the decision to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit. 

That court is likely to be much more sympathetic to his arguments. 

15 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

imo the democrats have done a terrible job on succession. The last electable person was Hillary, and really only because of the distinction with Trump early on. She was not even that popular with democrats anymore. 

The liberals in Canada have done the same thing with Trudeau. There's a massive leadership void after him.

I don't know if this current version of the democrats have it in them to focus, tho. 

This, I agree with.

The right has always been better at  keeping focus than the left......I think because it represents a much smaller portion of the population and they don't have so many different, diverse fingers in the pie 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Trex said:

I was initially impressed that Stealth allowed me to post here but that went away immediately when I got banned right away because I said Trump was center right. I realize I don't have the moral high ground posting here because this is a private forum, but I'm not perfect so I do occasionally. The mod team here are as vigilant as ever so I'm banned quick because of my IP or whatever tracking tricks they use, even when I just post on the hockey. On the bright side it's renewed my Canuck hockey dedication because I used to wonder why I should support a team that had such leftist politics.

Good to see ya Clam.

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

This is actually good news for Jack Smith ,

Speeds up the process .

Cannon should be dis barred regardless.

MAJOR BREAKING: Judge Aileen Cannon has just DROPPED the classified documents case. 

This is NOT the good news it first seems. Here’s why:

Jack Smith can now IMMEDIATELY appeal the decision to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit. 

That court is likely to be much more sympathetic to his arguments. 

She is by far the most incompetent judge sitting in US federal court and that is saying something with the lunacy in the 5th circuit. 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

This, I agree with.

The right has always been better at  keeping focus than the left......I think because it represents a much smaller portion of the population and they don't have so many different, diverse fingers in the pie 

By definition it is easier to focus on the right as they are a regressive or status quo coalition. There ain't much fighting over ideas on that side as there are no novel ideas being discussed. Tax cuts and Christian values. Pretty much it for them.

On the other hand, the left is the bastion of new ideas hence progressives and with that, you have a battle within the coalition on what ideas or proposals are realistic and beneficial hence the constant infighting and lack of focus. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, 24K said:

She is by far the most incompetent judge sitting in US federal court and that is saying something with the lunacy in the 5th circuit. 

Bi partisan politicians need to investigate their judges at every level.

• ThereItIs 1

39 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

The evangelical block will be there, but will fragment amongst the other 'heirs to the throne', and will lose cohesion.

If it was not just about his personality, they would have shifted to DeSantis or one of the other sycophants who were challenging Trump earlier.

Not to say they won't remain dangerous. I just think they won't be quite as unified

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's not just about his personality? 

Cmon

not sure why you're discounting the evangelicals as a powerful voting block? sure he knows what to say to them, but they don't exist because of him.

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

How may I be of assistance? 

Someone was unexpectedly busy this morning (you)... 😂

I swear.  When I nicely warn people that they're crossing a line and are facing a ban hammer, pretense is dropped and they really go off.

Edited by Sabrefan1
put in (you)
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, stawns said:

This, I agree with.

one of the funnier things to me about left side politics in both the US and Canada is how often we put our attention on the opponent, instead of just getting an electable leader in. 

9 minutes ago, Trex said:

Not at all. Desantis would be fine. Ramaswamy even better. But we have to stick with Trump for now because he had the courage to try to bring back some sanity.

so you're an American? 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

so you're an American? 

Not sure- but they are a self admitted previously banned member;  posting under a different name, without mod approval.

So likely not here for long.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Trex said:

Not at all. Desantis would be fine. Ramaswamy even better. But we have to stick with Trump for now because he had the courage to try to bring back some sanity.

Desantis couldn't even beat Nikki Haley.  Maga can't stand him.  He's a dial tone