US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Not going to help expand his base. Another spineless VP pick. 

See my post two above yours... "The Moral Collapse of JD Vance". This tracks. The guy has zero problem lying, twisting and sucking ass to get places. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Im pretty such that assassination attempt just sealed a trump victory. Getting shot in the head and pulled off stage with his fist up and a USA chant going in the background, that's the most American thing I've seen in a while. 

Donald Trump News: Latest on the 2024 presidential candidate | NBC News

Well that message is getting a bit complicated seeing the shooter is a registered Republican and described by his classmates as 100% conservative. 

Now we don't know if he is a Rhino or MAGA but either way it is in fighting if political or way more likely a frustrated kid with mental issues with a death wish looking to go out with a bang. 

History at least is on Biden's side as Teddy Roselvelt lost his election bid after getting shot at. 

But yeah, turnout is now gonna be a major issue for Biden and the Dems. 

As some reports have stated, and I think it is true, Trump supporters are 100% engaged while Dems are demoralized.  Trump will win with just his supporters if Dem cannot re-energize Biden's campaign or whomever they end up nominating. 

16 hours ago, bolt said:

Two security breaches Jan 6 and July 13.  How did the US become so weak.

That explains why Trump was the president and now a GOP nominee again. A strong country would not elect that type person to lead.  The bar was so low, it took an old white man who some blue collar appeal to beat him in 2020. 

Russia and China are happy. A weak US is great for them.  

• ThereItIs 1

On 7/15/2024 at 11:43 AM, Smashian Kassian said:

Vivek > Vance as an insurance policy imo

Only Nikki Haley’s selection would have added any cred (for the majority of Americans) to the ticket…but even she ended-up flip-flopping, too hard. 

She’d clearly be another “Mike Pence” speed-bump, to all of the institutional demolition that Don the Con really wants to achieve on his way to emulating every other morally bankrupted narcissist & dictator in the world.. like Putin (his clear favorite) , Rocketman & others.  

Teflon Don, the ultimate film-flam man & grifter with his woefully under-qualified puppet “side-show” Vance will be making the US Presidential election process, an even bigger & more humiliating farce & spectacle, than its’ already become. Perhaps that’s the point! Helpin’ his bro-pal Putin to just tear it all down!!!  The world is horrified enough, already,…what then??!

This once proud & world-leading democracy & Canada’s #1 trading partner, has devolved into a massive clown/show & circus!

How far the proudest of these Republicans have all fallen!

I hope more Americans, sense each & every day, the full danger that these delusional MAGA-cult members all pose!

Wake up! Find your hearts for humanity!  See the light through that alt-right media storm & orange-skinned, red-tied cultish haze…please, I beg of you! 

I’ve got to believe that there is still more sense out there in the good ol’ USA…than bigotry & stupidity! 

Edited by viking mama
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

See my post two above yours... "The Moral Collapse of JD Vance". This tracks. The guy has zero problem lying, twisting and sucking ass to get places. 

More of the same. Not going to expand his base. 

Turnouts will be the key to the race. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Yet the Dems probably would've won with him, atleast pre-assassination attempt.

Not only do I think you have too high opinion of this guy I think you are greatly over estimating America's opinion of this guy.   He has some followers but nowhere near enough.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

22 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Not going to help expand his base. Another spineless VP pick. 

Realistically no one other than Trump's base is going to consider voting for that Nazi piece of shit.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Not only do I think you have too high opinion of this guy I think you are greatly over estimating America's opinion of this guy.   He has some followers but nowhere near enough.

Its not really about my opinion of him which isn't fully formed. He's an anti-establishment candidate which would draw more disaffected & non-Dem voters than Biden, he's political royalty in the United States which carries weight, he's still a clear leftist for Dem voters, he is far smarter than Kamala & in far better shape than Biden - even despite his speaking issues.

When your comparing him to what they have now, its a very low bar. 

• chaos 1

20 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yet the Dems probably would've won with him, atleast pre-assassination attempt.

Not even close with his open support for Russia and antivax bullshit.  No one in their right mind should pretend that RFK should be treated the same as actual people.

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Its not really about my opinion of him which isn't fully formed. He's an anti-establishment candidate which would draw more disaffected & non-Dem voters than Biden, he's political royalty in the United States which carries weight, he's still a clear leftist for Dem voters, he is far smarter than Kamala & in far better shape than Biden - even despite his speaking issues.

When your comparing him to what they have now, its a very low bar. 

Here's another one where we are in complete disagreement and are unlikely to never agree.  Let's move on.

(I have to point out though that Harris - like her or not - is actually very clever and likely a notch or two above JFK in that department)

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

Here's another one where we are in complete disagreement and are unlikely to never agree.  Let's move on.

(I have to point out though that Harris - like her or not - is actually very clever and likely a notch or two above JFK in that department)

He’s alive?   😲

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

It seems we come from different perspectives for sure.

You'd have to send me some video of Harris being smart, I've not seen it in any of her public speaking. She comes across as not particularly impressive at all (hence getting destroyed in the 2020 primary) while RFK from what I've seen is very well read on many issues & can articulate his POV well despite his speaking issues which is no easy thing - agree with his perspective or not, some of which are loony, but that's besides the point. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

34 minutes ago, viking mama said:

Only Nikki Haley’s selection would add any kind of cred to the ticket.

But, she’d be another “Mike Spence” speed bump to all of the institutional demolition that Don the Con wants to achieve on his way to emulating other morally bankrupt narcissists & dictators like Putin, Rocketman & others.  

Teflon Don, the ultimate film-flam man, & his woefully unqualified puppet “side-show” Vance would make the US Presidential election an even bigger & more humiliating farce & spectacle!  The world is horrified enough - now,…what then??!

This once proud & world-leading democracy, & our #1 trading partner, has devolved into a massive clown/show & circus!

How far the proud have fallen!

I hope more Americans, sense each & every danger the delusional MAGA right poses!

Wake up, find your heart for humanity!  See the true light through that alt-right media storm & orange-skinned, red-tied cultish haze…please, I pray! 

I’ve got to believe there is still more sense out there…than stupidity! 

When I say insurance policy I mean so there isn't another attempt on former president Trumps' life. 

Nikki Haley is awful establishment war-hawk neocon. Not a great insurance policy imo.

Not sure what to make of Vance, was massive anti-Trump at one point so kinda seems snakish, but has good credentials.

I think Vivek would've been better for Trump's security but Vance will likely clean the table with Harris at the VP debate so atleast that'll be interesting. 

Doesn't matter what kind of morals JD Vance has or had.  Doesn't matter what he said or does.

He is the member of importance from Ohio and that is one of the most important swing states in the upcoming election that is tighter than it should be

Because he is now the VP select, Ohio will now lean heavier to the GOP than it did yesterday and as a swing state of importance this could be more than enough to put Trump over the top

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Doesn't matter what kind of morals JD Vance has or had.  Doesn't matter what he said or does.

He is the member of importance from Ohio and that is one of the most important swing states in the upcoming election that is tighter than it should be

Because he is now the VP select, Ohio will now lean heavier to the GOP than it did yesterday and as a swing state of importance this could be more than enough to put Trump over the top

Lol pretending Ohio is some sort of swing state. 🤣 

Ohio is a deep red state now, pay attention. 

The true pivitol swing state in Pennsylvania and sadly that one is going to Trump 100% after this weekend. It was already trending that way anyways but the deal is sealed now. 

47 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

More of the same. Not going to expand his base. 

Tuurnouts will be the key to the race. 

the “silent majority “ will rise ..

propagandists will say they “Woke”..

When it’s really FAFO    .. don’t poke the Bear .

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

On 7/15/2024 at 1:08 PM, Smashian Kassian said:

….. but Vance will likely clean the table with Harris at the VP debate so atleast that'll be interesting. 

Oh, I doubt that - very much.

That spine-less flip-flopper is no genius.

Trump has little record of success & proper accomplishment as the former-President to defend,…other than being an insurrection leader, master cyber-bully, major divider instead of uniter & now another prime world-destabilizer.

The end of the world anarchists with their subterranean bunkers, must be lovin’ this!

That’s the kind of hope that the Maga-cult has for this world. They envision a place where selfishnesss, greed & only self preservation will rule, because true moral sacrifices & more honourable Christian principals - of caring for the planet, it’s inhabitants & all of humanity,…has, in their slim & heartless veiw, all but disappeared. This is the mantra of fear that Trump beaks off about to his loyalist throng everyday. Take away all proper faith & hope,… and there they are! 

Choosing persons of good character for positions of  leadership… is everything, folks! 

I’d like to hold-out some hope for some Star-Trekian solutions to our problems! If, only there were a Federation of Planets to join!! 

In reality, continuing to widen the wealth-gap, eliminating human rights & increasing authoritarianism around the world,  is in a virtual battle with the movement to restore more compassionate, tolerant, harmonious & better-functioning democracies across our lands. The choice is as simple as that! 

Canada & the whole world is watching with bated breath, as this autumn could very well be a  tipping-point for us all. 

Edited by viking mama
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He’s alive?   😲

Oops.

(Only JFK JR. is alive.  His appearance at Dealey Plaza has been postponed; not cancelled)

Edited by Satchmo
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Curmudgeon said:

What are you talking about? Of course there is a viable choice. It will be between democracy and the rule of law versus autocracy and the suspension of the Constitution. And if you can't see that, you are choosing to be wilfully ignorant. I know that Project 2025 is hard, but try to grasp the enormity of the threat to a democratic society that its 900+ pages propose and which Trump's people wrote.

Sadly most people and voters are choosing to be wilfully ignorant. 

That single fact is repeated throughout history. People just don't think the worst will happen as it is some sort of self preservation and coping mechanism. 

Hopefully with the consecutive busting of expected norms by the rougue SCOTUS would wake some up but I highly doubt it. 

If project 2025 is implemented and US somehow survives through it, you will see a lot of people denying ever voting for Trump this upcoming election.

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

It seems we come from different perspectives for sure.

You'd have to send me some video of Harris being smart, I've not seen it in any of her public speaking. She comes across as not particularly impressive at all (hence getting destroyed in the 2020 primary) while RFK from what I've seen is very well read on many issues & can articulate his POV well despite his speaking issues which is no easy thing - agree with his perspective or not, some of which are loony, but that's besides the point. 

I never said she was a great public speaker.   That's one of her biggest issues.

53 minutes ago, 24K said:

Well that message is getting a bit complicated seeing the shooter is a registered Republican and described by his classmates as 100% conservative. 

Now we don't know if he is a Rhino or MAGA but either way it is in fighting if political or way more likely a frustrated kid with mental issues with a death wish looking to go out with a bang. 

History at least is on Biden's side as Teddy Roselvelt lost his election bid after getting shot at. 

But yeah, turnout is now gonna be a major issue for Biden and the Dems. 

As some reports have stated, and I think it is true, Trump supporters are 100% engaged while Dems are demoralized.  Trump will win with just his supporters if Dem cannot re-energize Biden's campaign or whomever they end up nominating. 

Yeah I think you are right about it being a mental health issue thing and less political. The motive seems fuzzy as he is a registered Republican, he did make a small donation to a far left Democrat organization at some point, and his parents are split 50/50 for party support.