US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Well, it will be interesting to see what Vance tries to do with our auto industry relationship. It certainly sounds like he's quite anti-EV and wants to bring more auto jobs to Ohio.... 

It's not that easy given how integrated our nafta supply chain is but I suspect Ontario is in for a bumpy ride starting next January. Thankfully the Canadian trade team has been on top for this for a while now. 

I do expect there to be more useless tariff battles, those always make for great headlines in the US.

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Many Democrat voters didn't like Biden in 2020 let alone now when he's close to a walking corpse.

This comment from Joy Ann Reid describes the Democrat base perspective.

Hypothetically even if they hated RFK, they would still vote for him anyways as a Dem candidate cause the opponent is Trump & he cannot win. 

Biden is your stereotypical Dem. Even if no one likes him, he is vanilla enough to rally around. 

That can't be said for RFK Jr. who is way more aligned with Trump than Dem. At that point Dem turn out will be low seeing there is practically minimal difference between the two. Low Dem turnout ensures Trump victory. 

Dem should have picked someone other than Biden but it sure ain't RFK Jr. 

Edited by 24K
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

17 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I have no vested interest in seeing the Democrats win (or the Rep's for that matter).

depends on how attached you are to certain elements of the Canadian economy. I don't know what your particular industry is or if it's sensitive to nafta or tariffs. 

5 minutes ago, 24K said:

Biden is your stereotypical Dem. Even if no one likes him, he is vanilla enough to rally around. 

That can't be said for RFK Jr. who is way more aligned with Trump than Dem. At that point Dem turn out will be low seeing there is practically minimal difference between the two. Low Dem turnout ensures Trump victory. 

All I'm saying is they would've had a much better chance with him than what Biden is, despite all the issues with RFK. Voting against Trump is more important than who the candidate is. 

After the assassination attempt however I think its pretty much in the bag for Trump. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

5 minutes ago, 24K said:

Honestly, if Biden drops out, the only one I see energizing the voters enough to beat Trump is Bernie, who is older than Biden........that's so sad

46 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

That doesn't explain why he donated to Act Blue.  If you're alt-right, Act Blue is the antitheses of everything that you believe.

The kid was all over the map. He was wearing a Demolition Ranch shirt when he was killed. This is one of the “gun-tuber” channels that is all about guns and the second amendment. The guy who owns the channel is quite a likeable dude though I’ve only watched his other two channels never this one, claims that the channel never talks politics which may be true but in his Twitter feed he is a proud supporter of his friend and fellow gun-tuber Brandon Herrera. This is the guy who forced a run-off with Tony Gonzalez  the representative for Uvalde Texas. Herrera had this to say after Gonzalez broke with his party and voted for a gun safety bill after the school shooting.

On his campaign website he describes himself as “an entrepreneur, Second Amendment activist, and social media personality.” 

“Texas is done with RINO’s. The war starts now,” Herrera said late Tuesday on X, using a common conservative abbreviation for “Republican in name only.” 

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Growing  up I only saw westerns based in the U.S,

I'm a huge Louis Lamour fan.

I'm always on the lookout for the old movies, that were from his books- and  hopeful for new movies.

Never tried making the natives the bad guys, just people with a different way of life.

He was careful to point out that raiding a wagon train, isn't really that different from raiding,  and pirating, sailing ships; be it for King and Queen or just for loot.

Sometime between old west and today, things went weird.

------------------------------

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

All I'm saying is they would've had a much better chance with him than what Biden is, despite all the issues with RFK.

After the assassination attempt however I think its pretty much in the bag for Trump. 

And I say there is even lower chances with RFK Jr. than Biden even with all of Biden's age issues due to Dem base abandoning RFK. 

We can agree to disagree there. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Did you come to cadet camp in Vernon during the summer?

No it was in the lower mainland. Sea Cadets. Somewhere along the Fraser River as we got to drive boats. 

They also woke us all up early in the morning and made us jog around in our PJs while it was pissing outside. During the middle of the fall

Also, got to march during Remembrance Day in front of a city in honour of those who fell.

Stood outside of shops for poppy donations in uniform. 

I was in my mid-teens. It was a unique experience and made for weekends that would last forever.

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

All I'm saying is they would've had a much better chance with him than what Biden is, despite all the issues with RFK. Voting against Trump is more important than who the candidate is. 

I admire your tenacity above all else.   So many people have disagreed with you on RFK yet you still try to convince us 🙂

• Upvote 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

All I'm saying is they would've had a much better chance with him than what Biden is, despite all the issues with RFK.

that plus a lot of people won't show up for Biden, imo. The dem's could get really slammed across the board. 

Joe needs to go. Go, Joe, go. See Joe go. I'm just trying out slogans. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

depends on how attached you are to certain elements of the Canadian economy. I don't know what your particular industry is or if it's sensitive to nafta or tariffs. 

After the new NAFTA, were the third wheel anyway..........it's a US-Mexico courtship now

59 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

That doesn't explain why he donated to Act Blue.  If you're alt-right, Act Blue is the antitheses of everything that you believe.

Ya, dude on the radio mentioned that donation but brushed it off as he said it was 8 years ago, i think

58 minutes ago, 24K said:

I doubt he has any evidence. Probably just spewing bs

But to humor that notion, if there is any political motif, it probably is feeling betrayed by Trump from his distancing from project 2025. 

He said the shooter had a twitter feed, but I hear you...we would be seeing stuff on here if that was the case.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Honestly, if Biden drops out, the only one I see energizing the voters enough to beat Trump is Bernie, who is older than Biden........that's so sad

Older but Bernie has the sharpest mind out of both of them and it ain't even close. 

Heck Bernie today probably have a sharper mind than both VP candidates. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

that plus a lot of people won't show up for Biden, imo. The dem's could get really slammed across the board. 

Dems will 100% show up for Biden. Question is will enough never Trumpers or independents show up for Biden. 

That is the scary part and I think his debate performance may have been enough for them to stay home. 

Just now, 24K said:

Dems will 100% show up for Biden. Question is will enough never Trumpers or independents show up for Biden. 

That is the scary part and I think his debate performance may have been enough for them to stay home. 

I doubt it. Its like when some of them were pissy over Bernie and didn't show up for Hillary.

4 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

The kid was all over the map. He was wearing a Demolition Ranch shirt when he was killed. This is one of the “gun-tuber” channels that is all about guns and the second amendment. The guy who owns the channel is quite a likeable dude though I’ve only watched his other two channels never this one, claims that the channel never talks politics which may be true but in his Twitter feed he is a proud supporter of his friend and fellow gun-tuber Brandon Herrera. This is the guy who forced a run-off with Tony Gonzalez  the representative for Uvalde Texas. Herrera had this to say after Gonzalez broke with his party and voted for a gun safety bill after the school shooting.

On his campaign website he describes himself as “an entrepreneur, Second Amendment activist, and social media personality.” 

“Texas is done with RINO’s. The war starts now,” Herrera said late Tuesday on X, using a common conservative abbreviation for “Republican in name only.” 

It's really starting to paint a picture of a crazy loser who was looking to go out in a blaze of glory with his name in the history books.  You have to wonder about his family and how he was brought up.

4 minutes ago, 24K said:

Older but Bernie has the sharpest mind out of both of them and it ain't even close. 

Heck Bernie today probably have a sharper mind than both VP candidates. 

Agree completely........such a shame they forced him out in 2016

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I doubt it. Its like when some of them were pissy over Bernie and didn't show up for Hillary.

Lol what is there to be pissed about for Dems on Biden. There is no other candidate to be pissy with this go around. 

1 minute ago, 24K said:

And I say there is even lower chances with RFK Jr. than Biden even with all of Biden's age issues due to Dem base abandoning RFK. 

We can agree to disagree there. 

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

I admire your tenacity above all else.   So many people have disagreed with you on RFK yet you still try to convince us 🙂

Haha thanks, and yes. A2D. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

The thing that made both Bernie & Trump so popular in 2016 was the anti-establishment wave that emerged on both sides (which is why I brought up RFK). It hasn't gone away imo if anything the dishonesty of media has only decreased the faith in the institutions, but Biden has really cratered to the point he's becoming not viable aside from 'never Trumpers'.

I don't know that Kamala can get them out of this either, but I don't know who they'd go too that would capture those disaffected who don't believe in the integrity of the institutions. I don't think Newsome would do it either. And that's before the assassination attempt. 

1 minute ago, 24K said:

Biden is not going to put a bullseye on Trump.  He'll use another phrase to the same effect.   After the dust settles a bit he'll go after him again.   This could still be  reproductive rights election and a proper tying of Trump to Project 2025 and its' nefarious intentions could bring those independents and never Trumpers on board.

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Haha thanks, and yes. A2D. 

The thing that made both Bernie & Trump so popular in 2016 was the anti-establishment wave that emerged on both sides (which is why I brought up RFK). It hasn't gone away imo if anything the dishonesty of media has only decreased the faith in the institutions, but Biden has really cratered to the point he's becoming not viable aside from 'never Trumpers'.

I don't know that Kamala can get them out of this either, but I don't know who they'd go too that would capture those disaffected who don't believe in the integrity of the institutions. I don't think Newsome would do it either. And that's before the assassination attempt. 

The answer is Bernie but establishment will never allow for it. 

Just now, Satchmo said:

Biden is not going to put a bullseye on Trump.  He'll use another phrase to the same effect.   After the dust settles a bit he'll go after him again.   This could still be  reproductive rights election and a proper tying of Trump to Project 2025 and its' nefarious intentions could bring those independents and never Trumpers on board.

The only good thing about this shooting from the Dem side is that it occurred now instead of say October. 

Plenty of time for media narrative to die down with voters short attention span. 

Bad thing is this caused rally to replace Biden to loss steam.  

A thing I have to remind myself of, quite often; is not one of the much better candidates chose to truly oppose Joe.

They must not think a return of Drumpf is as bad, as many of the rest of us.

To name one

Michelle Obama- not running, even though she'd likely have won.- Not concerned enough to 'take one ' for the team and throw her name in.?

Heck even Barrack could have been named as VP running mate, but chose not to.