US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

20 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Well, it will be interesting to see what Vance tries to do with our auto industry relationship. It certainly sounds like he's quite anti-EV and wants to bring more auto jobs to Ohio.... 

It's not that easy given how integrated our nafta supply chain is but I suspect Ontario is in for a bumpy ride starting next January. Thankfully the Canadian trade team has been on top for this for a while now. 

I do expect there to be more useless tariff battles, those always make for great headlines in the US.

Why worry, Trudeau will just pay $5 million per automotive job to lure them back in.

https://tnc.news/2024/04/26/honda-gets-5-billion-subsidies/

• chaos 1

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Ya, dude on the radio mentioned that donation but brushed it off as he said it was 8 years ago, i think

He said the shooter had a twitter feed, but I hear you...we would be seeing stuff on here if that was the case.

He's must be pulling stuff out of his boo-tay then.  The donation was in January of 2021.  If he donated to a political org when he was 12 years old, I'd be quite surprised.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, bolt said:

Why worry, Trudeau will just pay $5 million per automotive job to lure them back in.

https://tnc.news/2024/04/26/honda-gets-5-billion-subsidies/

I thought that the US was the only country dumb enough to do something like that...  Yikes! 

I hope he got an iron clad commitment from Honda that will last for decades.

Edited by Sabrefan1

4 minutes ago, Gurn said:

A thing I have to remind myself of, quite often; is not one of the much better candidates chose to truly oppose Joe.

They must not think a return of Drumpf is as bad, as many of the rest of us.

To name one

Michelle Obama- not running, even though she'd likely have won.- Not concerned enough to 'take one ' for the team and throw her name in.?

Heck even Barrack could have been named as VP running mate, but chose not to.

It all boils down to running against an incumbent. 

You don't do that unless you know 100% you are going to win cause otherwise your political career is over or be blamed for eternity over it. 

No one is gonna take that risk.

Naming Obama to VP also has its own issues and might not even be constitutional especially with this scotus. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

He's must be pulling stuff out of his boo-tay then.  The donation was in January of 2021.  If he donated to a political org when he was 12 years old, I'd be quite surprised.

ya, or I could be wrong about if he said 8 years...

But it doesnt seem like anyone else is seeing this supposed twitter feed from the shooter so sounds like he is indeed boo-tay pullin'

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

ya, or I could be wrong about if he said 8 years...

But it doesnt seem like anyone else is seeing this supposed twitter feed from the shooter so sounds like he is indeed boo-tay pullin'

Radio is a dying medium.  He may have to be an attention ho to get his name out there.  Or he could be a Blue Maga dufus.  Who knows...

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

Radio is a dying medium.  He may have to be an attention ho to get his name out there.  Or he could be a Blue Maga dufus.  Who knows...

Pretty sure it was a local music dj...they fill some time with nonsense and banter. Perhaps today the theme was misinformation

• chaos 1

23 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

who told you that? 

It was pretty widely known that trump was negotiating a bi lateral agreement with mexico and then added Canada after and the future between the US and mexico is no state secret........mexico is where Canada was in the 80's.  

We're now more competition for the US than we are a partner.......at least in the context of Mexico.

4 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

What are you talking about? Of course there is a viable choice. It will be between democracy and the rule of law versus autocracy and the suspension of the Constitution. And if you can't see that, you are choosing to be wilfully ignorant. I know that Project 2025 is hard, but try to grasp the enormity of the threat to a democratic society that its 900+ pages propose and which Trump's people wrote.

I’m not saying US should vote for Trump, I’m saying voting either way is not great. Old man Biden could potentially be just as dangerous. He just addressed the Ukraine President Zelenskyy as Putin the other day. He hardly seems to know where he is - no man that old and senile should be allowed to hold office in the US. Most 81 year olds should even have a drivers license. He could accidentally cause World War 3 through his unintended senile actions. No good choices for Americans.

• Cheers 1

About this bullseye things that so many panties in a knot:

Biden defends his rhetoric but concedes it was a mistake to make bullseye comment about Trump

Biden made those comments during a call with donors on July 8, during which he said, “It’s time to put Trump in the bullseye,” according to a summary of the call provided by his campaign.

“It was a mistake to use the word,” Biden said in an interview with NBC News’ Lester Holt on Monday.

“I meant focus on him. Focus on what he’s doing. Focus on his policies, focus on the number of lies he told at the debate,” he said.

Biden sought to turn the conversation back to Trump’s own words: “I’m not the guy that said, ‘I want to be a dictator on day one.’ I’m not the guy that refused to accept the outcome of the election. I’m not the guy who said he won’t accept the outcome of this election automatically. You can’t only love your country when you win. And so the focus was on what he’s saying.”

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/15/politics/joe-biden-nbc-interview/index.html

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, 24K said:

Lol what is there to be pissed about for Dems on Biden. There is no other candidate to be pissy with this go around. 

People won't believe Joe can win, and some will not bother to vote.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

This is only politics adjacent insofar as it's the US national anthem, but I want to see how many people break down laughing versus cursing me for exposing them to this atrocity.  🤣

a graduate of the carl Lewis school of music

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Watched this last night.

Four corners is one of the longest running investagive journalistic programs, over 60 years.

Highly respected world wide.

This, and a follow up episode has been months in the making.

It not only details some of the crazy shit he wanted to do during his last presidency - a 2 thousand mile long " moat " along the Mexico border filled with snakes and alligators.

It also details the people who are prepared to break down the institutions that that reigned in his last adminstration.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I’m not saying US should vote for Trump, I’m saying voting either way is not great. Old man Biden could potentially be just as dangerous. He just addressed the Ukraine President Zelenskyy as Putin the other day. He hardly seems to know where he is - no man that old and senile should be allowed to hold office in the US. Most 81 year olds should even have a drivers license. He could accidentally cause World War 3 through his unintended senile actions. No good choices for Americans.

Okay. I don't know if you are a millennial, and therefore with the attention span of a mosquito, or not, but if you have about 36 minutes to devote your attention to a speech Biden gave in Detroit on Saturday, I challenge you to watch the whole thing and tell me if the bolded statement above is accurate or not. Spoiler Alert: He comes across as a statesman and a leader and a fierce proponent for democracy with a clear, articulate plan for all Americans. And if you can't see that....what am I saying? You won't watch any of it.

1 minute ago, Ilunga said:

Watched this last night.

Four corners is one of the longest running investagive journalistic programs, over 60 years.

Highly respected world wide.

This, and a follow up episode has been months in the making.

It not only details some of the crazy shit he wanted to do during his last presidency - a 2 thousand mile long " moat " along the Mexico border filled with snakes and alligators.

It also details the people who are prepared to break down the institutions that that reigned in his last adminstration.

Remember when he suggested shooting migrants in the legs to slow them down at the border? Pepperidge farms sure does. 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

56 minutes ago, stawns said:

It was pretty widely known that trump was negotiating a bi lateral agreement with mexico and then added Canada after and the future between the US and mexico is no state secret........mexico is where Canada was in the 80's.  

We're now more competition for the US than we are a partner.......at least in the context of Mexico.

The trade numbers tell a different story.

11 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Remember when he suggested shooting migrants in the legs to slow them down at the border? Pepperidge farms sure does. 

I think we just have to accept that people just dgaf. They like this guy.

Imo it's time for the dems to forget about talking about him and find someone people can vote for. 

29 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

People won't believe Joe can win, and some will not bother to vote.

You actually usually see the opposite of that. People, especially those in the base, tend not to bother to vote when their chosen candidate are winning or the odds on favorite to win while the candidates base tend to come out in droves if their perceived candidate is deemed to lose. 

This effect happened in 2016 where everyone thought Hillary will win for sure causing many in the Dem base not bothering to show up to vote yielding a Trump victory.

We see it again in the British election this month where the Tories did way better than anyone thought cause their base turned out in large numbers.

Now what you said applies way more to independents who probably would not bother to vote if they think Biden is not gonna win. The base of the Dem will come out to vote, problem now is Biden probably can't get those independents that he need to swing the election to his favor and he need everyone he can get now that Trump's supporters are heavily engaged.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Okay. I don't know if you are a millennial, and therefore with the attention span of a mosquito, or not, but if you have about 36 minutes to devote your attention to a speech Biden gave in Detroit on Saturday, I challenge you to watch the whole thing and tell me if the bolded statement above is accurate or not. Spoiler Alert: He comes across as a statesman and a leader and a fierce proponent for democracy with a clear, articulate plan for all Americans. And if you can't see that....what am I saying? You won't watch any of it.

You’re absolutely right I won’t watch. I’m no millennial, but as a Canadian, I don’t need to listen to half an hour of American politics. 

• ThereItIs 1

Well.....  This is going to set off all of the anti-Elon Musk people here.... 😂

Elon Musk Allies Help Start Pro-Trump Super PAC

The group, America PAC, is funded by several wealthy tech entrepreneurs in Mr. Musk’s social circle and is said to be likely to draw financial support from the SpaceX and Tesla founder himself.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/15/us/politics/elon-musk-trump-super-pac.html