US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

The trade numbers tell a different story.

We're talking about the next 50 years or so.  The US is getting more and more isolationist and is looking at mexico to be it's manufacturing centre for medium skilled trades.  Mexico is now the US' top trading partner and is growing steadily as the US looks to them to replace Chinese manufacturing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/economy/2024/2/13/politics-and-convenience-drive-mexico-to-be-uss-top-trading-partner

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Well.....  This is going to set off all of the anti-Elon Musk people here.... 😂

Elon Musk Allies Help Start Pro-Trump Super PAC

The group, America PAC, is funded by several wealthy tech entrepreneurs in Mr. Musk’s social circle and is said to be likely to draw financial support from the SpaceX and Tesla founder himself.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/15/us/politics/elon-musk-trump-super-pac.html

The guy went full MAGA years ago. Not surprising. The attempted assassination is the final excuse he needed to go all in.

I would be worried if I own Tesla stocks, that company is about to blow up into smithereens. You have the most likely customers heavily pissed off and looking toward competitors that have caught up while the MAGA people are full on ICE rendering Tesla with little customer base left. Doubly so with shrinking EV sales.  

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I shot air rifles in Cadets here in BC.

Obviously not a real rifle but still capable of causing death or more likely serious injury, at least depending the gun.

I shot 22’s in air cadets when I was a teen.  Not something I really liked doing which is why I fish instead of hunt.  I have a deep respect for the power of guns.  I don’t plan on ever owning one

4 minutes ago, 24K said:

The guy went full MAGA years ago. Not surprising. The attempted assassination is the final excuse he needed to go all in.

I would be worried if I own Tesla stocks, that company is about to blow up into smithereens. You have the most likely customers heavily pissed off and looking toward competitors that have caught up while the MAGA people are full on ICE rendering Tesla with little customer base left. Doubly so with shrinking EV sales.  

Biden and Musk despise each other.

I've been wondering for years whether Tesla was going to take a hit because of his politics, but they are still doing ok.  Probably because they're world-wide.

VW just merged/bought an EV competitor company.  I forget who.  

I think the biggest domestic threat to Tesla is Rivian.

38 minutes ago, Slegr said:

You’re absolutely right I won’t watch. I’m no millennial, but as a Canadian, I don’t need to listen to half an hour of American politics. 

We look forward to your informed opinions then.  🙂

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

We look forward to your informed opinions then.  🙂

Well, this is a hockey forum “off topics” section. I wouldn’t count on brilliance or highly credentialed opinions across the board on American politics. But the fun part is that we all have the option to weigh in.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 7/13/2024 at 5:04 PM, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Remember when Nancy Pelosi's husband took a hammer to the skull and everyone in the right called for an end to violence. Yeah, me neither 

As I recall it, the right attempted to portray it as some sort of gay affair gone wrong....

• ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Well, this is a hockey forum “off topics” section. I wouldn’t count on brilliance or highly credentialed opinions across the board on American politics. But the fun part is that we all have the option to weigh in.

Just like assholes and opinions. We all have one. The variables are endless. 
In honour of Dr Ruth, have fun. 

Edited by Spur1

25 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Some pretty smart, educated people on this forum.  I wouldn't dismiss people here so casually

• Cheers 1

Slegr wrote:

"You’re absolutely right I won’t watch. I’m no millennial, but as a Canadian, I don’t need to listen to half an hour of American politics."

Haha. Proved my point. You don't want to watch Biden speak because it might compel you to be more accurate in your characterization of the man. Wouldn't want to compromise your fiercely held opinion with actual facts. 

There it is!  

Trump is still attempting some more projection! 

^This guy did NOT have an epiphany!  

Trump & MAGA/GOP Trumplikins will clearly throw anything they can against the wall & do whatever it takes…to keep him out of jail, hold onto his grifting$ & to help him stay politically relevant enough to betray American democracy & lay the country down to serve the immediate & long-term needs of his bromancer, Putin.

Trump’s all about himself first,…then whatever benefits his billionaire supporters & world-wide authoritarian friends.  

Edited by viking mama

27 minutes ago, stawns said:

Some pretty smart, educated people on this forum.  I wouldn't dismiss people here so casually

I’d agree. Curmudgeon suggested people who won’t watch a 35 minute video of Biden politicking shouldn’t be informed enough to comment. Unfortunately, while I don’t know a lot about US politics, I do know the Dems have shot themselves in the foot by putting Biden forward for another run. He’s not going to win this thing. 

On 7/14/2024 at 8:35 AM, Warhippy said:

While I disagree with assassination of a leader or leadership hopeful.

My feelings are due to the individual as an individual.

The amount of allegations made by the volume of women/teens regarding this person's behaviour are too great to discount.

We put dogs down for less and while I may not agree with the idea of outright murder I do not feel bad sad or upset at all, let alone shocked; that someone took a shot at him because of his nature

This is more or less my position as well....

I don't advocate for political assassinations, but I do believe the world would be a far better place without Donald Trump in it....

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I’d agree. Curmudgeon suggested people who won’t watch a 35 minute video of Biden politicking shouldn’t be informed enough to comment. Unfortunately, while I don’t know a lot about US politics, I do know the Dems have shot themselves in the foot by putting Biden forward for another run. He’s not going to win this thing. 

So you admit you don't know a lot about US politics, but you know enough to state that Biden will lose? Okay. But maybe a hockey analogy might be meaningful to you, seeing that CFF is mostly about hockey. Here's the thing: this election is about four minutes into the first period. Lots of hockey left before a winner is declared. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Biden and Musk despise each other.

I've been wondering for years whether Tesla was going to take a hit because of his politics, but they are still doing ok.  Probably because they're world-wide.

VW just merged/bought an EV competitor company.  I forget who.  

I think the biggest domestic threat to Tesla is Rivian.

Speaking of Rivian, those are all over the place where I live. Tesla owners are the most obnoxious drivers ever.

On 9/16/2023 at 7:08 AM, stawns said:

How about Bimbo Boebert getting felt up and giving a handy at a musical.........on camera.  Unreal

Does that make her the first hawk tou tik Tok star ? 

19 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

So you admit you don't know a lot about US politics, but you know enough to state that Biden will lose? Okay. But maybe a hockey analogy might be meaningful to you, seeing that CFF is mostly about hockey. Here's the thing: this election is about four minutes into the first period. Lots of hockey left before a winner is declared. 

I like it, lots of hockey left for sure. But home team better call a time out and change its goalie fast if it has any chance of getting back in the game.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I like it, lots of hockey left for sure. But home team better call a time out and change its goalie fast if it has any chance of getting back in the game.

Didn’t Bettman already tell the refs who’s going to win?

9 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I don't know. It feels like a scoreless draw so far. Couple of minor penalties and some penalty killing, but nobody has really scored yet.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Slegr said:

You're right, you don't know much.

Incumbents who announce they are running for re-election for a second term as POTUS are essentially only challenged, if at all, by candidates who really have no chance.   Becoming the nominee takes a lot of political capital, and serious candidates won't waste their time and their political capital challenging the incumbent POTUS. 

Just go through history.   I would challenge anyone to find an incumbent who didn't announce they were hanging it up after 1 term who was openly challenged and lost.  Not in my lifetime.

And this is the case with both parties.   Did any big names Republicans primary challenge Reagan, W, papa Bush during their reelection?  Any big name Dems prumary challenge Clinton or Obama?  

Thats why we got Biden.  He decided to run.  He decided to stay.

• Cheers 1

I am wondering if being so close to death, has given DT some sort of change in his perspective.

Maybe realization that words and rhetoric have consequences, I guess we will find out.