US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I don't know. It feels like a scoreless draw so far. Couple of minor penalties and some penalty killing, but nobody has really scored yet.

Biden with a couple offensive giveaways, and captain crapshot set Moronov up for a breakaway, though.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

I am wondering if being so close to death, has given DT some sort of change in his perspective.

Maybe realization that words and rhetoric have consequences, I guess we will find out.

Doubtful .... His character is always looking to capitalize on any situation and that won't change now

Thats not a reflection of his political behavior as much as it's a reflection of how he has always behaved 

6 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

You're right, you don't know much.

Incumbents who announce they are running for re-election for a second term as POTUS are essentially only challenged, if at all, by candidates who really have no chance.   Becoming the nominee takes a lot of political capital, and serious candidates won't waste their time and their political capital challenging the incumbent POTUS. 

Just go through history.   I would challenge anyone to find an incumbent who didn't announce they were hanging it up after 1 term who was openly challenged and lost.  Not in my lifetime.

And this is the case with both parties.   Did any big names Republicans primary challenge Reagan, W, papa Bush during their reelection?  Any big name Dems prumary challenge Clinton or Obama?  

Thats why we got Biden.  He decided to run.  He decided to stay.

I hear what you’re saying on why nobody challenged him, no need for the early insult there. Sadly, Americans won’t vote Biden back. He’s too old and senile. You don’t need to know much to realize it. If he stays in the race, he’ll be the one to blame on why Trump gets back in. If Dems put any number of less senile people in, it’s a different outcome.

Edited by Slegr

2 hours ago, 24K said:

The guy went full MAGA years ago. Not surprising. The attempted assassination is the final excuse he needed to go all in.

I would be worried if I own Tesla stocks, that company is about to blow up into smithereens. You have the most likely customers heavily pissed off and looking toward competitors that have caught up while the MAGA people are full on ICE rendering Tesla with little customer base left. Doubly so with shrinking EV sales.  

But what if he creates battery electric boats with sharks?

• Vintage 1

On 7/14/2024 at 1:49 PM, DeNiro said:

Curious to see what effect if any it has on him.

Like his life was literally an inch away from ending. Does this give him any sort of new found lease on life? New sense of appreciation or kindness?

Or do we see an even bigger megalomaniac who now has a messiah like attitude?

I'm picking door number 2.....

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

44 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Speaking of Rivian, those are all over the place where I live. Tesla owners are the most obnoxious drivers ever.

I wouldn't know.  I only occasionally see them around.  Buffalo cold winters and EV's aren't the best combination.  It's the biggest reason that I decided against buying an EV a while back.  It would be fine in a heated garage, but I'd rather not watch the percentage charge drop like a rock as soon as I'm on the road for any length of time.

14 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I hear what you’re saying on why nobody challenged him, no need for the early insult there. Sadly, Americans won’t vote Biden back. He’s too old and senile. You don’t need to know much to realize it. If he stays in the race, he’ll be the one to blame on why Trump gets back in. If Dems put any number of less senile people in, it’s a different outcome.

The primary people to blame for voting Trump in is Trump voters.

The second is probably those who chose not to vote.

I'd maybe put the Democrats choice of candidate as 3rd.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I wouldn't know.  I only occasionally see them around.  Buffalo cold winters and EV's aren't the best combination.  It's the biggest reason that I decided against buying an EV a while back.  It would be fine in a heated garage, but I'd rather not watch the percentage charge drop like a rock as soon as I'm on the road for any length of time.

Dry cold in Northern New York State effects batteries the same. Even with a heat pump. I'd get an EV but I would need 3 things.

1) A home/or townhouse with a level 2 charger.

2) Money for the EV.

3) Money for the home, and keep it my home.

As the meme I read this morning said.

"I'm one step away from being filthy rich. That step is money..."

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Well.....  This is going to set off all of the anti-Elon Musk people here.... 😂

Elon Musk Allies Help Start Pro-Trump Super PAC

The group, America PAC, is funded by several wealthy tech entrepreneurs in Mr. Musk’s social circle and is said to be likely to draw financial support from the SpaceX and Tesla founder himself.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/15/us/politics/elon-musk-trump-super-pac.html

RDT_20240715_2115347487651920971257367.jpg

• Haha 1
  • chaos 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nope. Would never trade in my BMW for a Tesla…

Probably because you can drive.

Telsa drivers never signal, don't look where they are going. And basically drive recklessly. At least majority of the ones I see on the road.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I'm starting to think that this kid was just one confused fool who couldn't find employment (his Act Blue donation listed him as unemployed) and he decided to try and get into the history books and go out in what he considered a blaze of glory.

That's just my guess.  People are sick.

As for the GOP registration, that proves nothing.  If I wanted to be a political hack, I could change my registration here in NY to vote in party primaries.  People do it all of the time, especially in swing states like Pennsylvania.  It's ridiculous and it's pointless and doesn't have the affect those that do it are going for.  Yet it still sadly happens.

Yeah, my wife is from a Republican family, she switched to Dem just to vote in the NYC mayor primaries, since it was certain that the GOP candidate will not win.  

She won't vote for Biden, but I told her I will divorce her if she votes Trump.   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 24K said:

I would be worried if I own Tesla stocks, that company is about to blow up into smithereens. You have the most likely customers heavily pissed off and looking toward competitors that have caught up while the MAGA people are full on ICE rendering Tesla with little customer base left. Doubly so with shrinking EV sales.  

I read the other day that Tesla's market share has dropped to less than 50% of market share. But Tesla is still far ahead of its competitors, at least for now.

From Auto123.com

Tesla's healthy sales, and dropping market share

The EV maker’s share of the market in the U.S. was 82.5 percent in the third quarter of 2019. In 2021, it was 77.5 percent. In Q2 of 2024, it sat at 49.7 percent.

During the same period from April 1 to June 30, 2024, however, Tesla delivered 443,956 vehicles worldwide. That's a little less than for the same period in 2023, but much more than the 386,810 vehicles sold in the first quarter of this year. In the United States, we're talking about 164,264 deliveries in the second quarter of 2024.

To give you an idea of how dominant Elon Musk’s company has been and continues to be despite the drop in market share, behind Tesla and its 164,000+ units sold, Ford in second place is way up the track with 23,957 sales. Its market share stands at 7.2 percent, ahead of Kia and Hyundai at 5.4 and 5.1 percent respectively.

Nothing to worry about for Tesla, then. But its share of the pie will only continue to shrink with the arrival of other models, notably from General Motors where the roll-out of vehicles built on the Ultium platform continues to accelerate. In fact, Cadillac saw the strongest growth in the second quarter, with a 441 percent jump in sales driven by deliveries of the Lyriq SUV.

The bottom line is that the overall electric vehicle market continues to perform well and sales continue to grow, with other automakers slowly gaining market share even as Tesla remains far ahead.

----------

Still, Tesla is no longer the only player in the game. Ford, GM and the Koreans are putting out pretty good products, while Tesla's basic styling rarely changes. I have no idea how many people would boycott Tesla just because of Musk.

Well.  This can't be good for Democrats.  This is a still of the President of the Teamsters Union at the RNC thanking the Republicans in the Senate for their help.

Here he is praising Trump's VP pick right before the RNC convention.

Edited by Sabrefan1
Forgot "Union"
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Doubtful .... His character is always looking to capitalize on any situation and that won't change now

Thats not a reflection of his political behavior as much as it's a reflection of how he has always behaved 

Yeah I tend to think this will actually embolden him even more (eg., I'm invincible, etc.,)

5 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Well.  This can't be good for Democrats.  This is a still of the President of the Teamsters Union at the RNC thanking the Republicans in the Senate for their help.

Here he is praising Trump's VP pick right before the RNC convention.

I was listening to his speech and couldn't help thinking the guy thought he was addressing a Bernie Sanders rally and had wandered into the RNC by mistake.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Cheers 1