US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, UnkNuk said:

I was listening to his speech and couldn't help thinking the guy thought he was addressing a Bernie Sanders rally and had wandered into the RNC by mistake.

A Union ‘head’ saying this was beyond disgusting. 

2 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I was listening to his speech and couldn't help thinking the guy thought he was addressing a Bernie Sanders rally and had wandered into the RNC by mistake.

They're not stupid (Teamsters).  No different than the Taxi Union lobby here in BC where they donated money to *BOTH* major parties back in the day.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yeah I tend to think this will actually embolden him even more (eg., I'm invincible, etc.,)

I wish it was just that .... He's played the bigger than jesus card and is being looked at by evangelicals as the next coming of Jesus ...... He's got a good future in big church evangelical snake oil preaching when his next term is done 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UnkNuk said:

He's likely just trying to play both sides of the aisle now.  It's still a dangerous shift for the Democrats though.

9 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Well.  This can't be good for Democrats.  This is a still of the President of the Teamsters Union at the RNC thanking the Republicans in the Senate for their help.

Here he is praising Trump's VP pick right before the RNC convention.

The guy is playing both sides. Also requested to speak at the DNC.

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

He's likely just trying to play both sides of the aisle now.  It's still a dangerous shift for the Democrats though.

Haven't the dems been losing working class people for a while now? This seems like a pretty good indicator of that.

1 minute ago, 24K said:

The guy is playing both sides. Also requested to speak at the DNC.

I read that the DNC turned him down though.  If true, they better reconsider.

The Teamsters historically worked against Republicans.  Even considering doing what he did tonight was unthinkable.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Teamsters (or rather more importantly, their leader Hoffa) backing Nixon didn't help.  I *think* Hoffa loathed Kennedy even that early.  Though Kennedy might've had help from "the outfit".🥸

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

Haven't the dems been losing working class people for a while now? This seems like a pretty good indicator of that.

The unions?  Until today, I wasn't aware of any shift, but maybe.

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

But he was also an unusual speaker to be at the RNC.  I thought he gave a good speech.  Talking about corporate greed and protecting workers' rights.

It's not the sort of fare that I thought I would hear at the RNC.   Unusual times.

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Teamsters (or rather more importantly, their leader Hoffa) backing Nixon didn't help.  I *think* Hoffa loathed Kennedy even that early.  Though Kennedy might've had help from "the outfit".🥸

Yep.  And Hoffa is rumoured to attend every Jets and Giants game.  Just not the way he would have wanted to...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, UnkNuk said:

But he was also an unusual speaker to be at the RNC.  I thought he gave a good speech.  Talking about corporate greed and protecting workers' rights.

It's not the sort of fare that I thought I would hear at the RNC.   Unusual times.

I was startled when I learned that he would be there.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Yep.  And Hoffa is rumoured to attend every Jets and Giants game.  Just not the way he would have wanted to...

The actor, Frank Whaley, in this movie scene, takes out both "The Joker" & "The Penguin":

🥸

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

The Member stole this off Twitter. Save your applause. 

Doesn't make it any less applause worthy, especially considering that he said he read it, not came up with it

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Not really at least Union wise. Dem still getting pretty much all the endorsements from unions. Teamsters despite the RNC speech hadn't endorsed anyone yet.

Dems are losing the more rural working class like truckers, farmers, oil/miners largely due to push of environmental initiatives that directly negatively affect those people but largely retained the more service oriented and high skill working class.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I wouldn't know.  I only occasionally see them around.  Buffalo cold winters and EV's aren't the best combination.  It's the biggest reason that I decided against buying an EV a while back.  It would be fine in a heated garage, but I'd rather not watch the percentage charge drop like a rock as soon as I'm on the road for any length of time.

They are more of a fashion statement in my neck of the woods.
Weather here in Chicago is not exactly kind to EV’s, doesn’t snow as much as Buffalo though.

Prices are crazy for some of them though!

• chaos 1

2 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

The family of Corey Comperatore have had only one candidate for POTUS attemp to contact them.  That candidate was Biden.  The family refused his call because the victim was a Republican.   Sad.

shocked-amazed.gif

4 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

The family of Corey Comperatore have had only one candidate for POTUS attemp to contact them.  That candidate was Biden.  The family refused his call because the victim was a Republican.   Sad.

https://nypost.com/2024/07/15/us-news/corey-comperatores-widow-refused-biden-call-after-trump-rally-shooting/

“I didn’t talk to Biden,” Helen Comperatore said from her Pennsylvania home on Monday. “I didn’t want to talk to him. My husband was a devout Republican and he would not have wanted me to talk to him.”

“I don’t have any ill will towards Joe Biden. I’m not one of those people that gets involved in politics.

“I support Trump. That’s who I’m voting for, but I don’t have ill will towards Biden,” she added. “He didn’t do anything bad to my husband. A 20-year-old despicable kid did.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Probably because you can drive.

Telsa drivers never signal, don't look where they are going. And basically drive recklessly. At least majority of the ones I see on the road.

Some dildo driving very fancy Tesla cut me off the other day, after I laid on my horn, he proceeded to give me the hardest break check. After that I extended him New Jersey salute and laid on the horn again, he literally stopped in the middle of the intersection and blocked me for like 10 seconds. As I opened my window and began yelling and cursing at him, I was hoping that he was going to get out of the car. 

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Thanks.

This illustrated who should and shouldn't be POTUS.   One guy shows compassion.   The other guy shows he really doesn't give a crap.  It also shows just how terrible the political divide is, and how sad some people are.  

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

They are more of a fashion statement in my neck of the woods.
Weather here in Chicago is not exactly kind to EV’s, doesn’t snow as much as Buffalo though.

Prices are crazy for some of them though!

When I looked at them 2-3 years ago, they still held their value well.  These days, not so much, especially the new Cybertruck. 

My biggest concern was the weather.  My second biggest concern was that few mechanics around here work on them.  Then add to that how much of a pain they can be to get insured and it wasn't worth it to me.

I don't need any more toys, I'm starting to get too old for them, and that's what it would be is a seasonal toy that I would get bored with soon enough.