US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Doesn't make it any less applause worthy, especially considering that he said he read it, not came up with it

To those not discerning, I suppose it doesn’t. 

Keep clapping away. 

1 minute ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Thanks.

This illustrated who should and shouldn't be POTUS.   One guy shows compassion.   The other guy shows he really doesn't give a crap.  It also shows just how terrible the political divide is, and how sad some people are.  

Yeah.  It is odd that he didn't pick up the phone and call the next day.  The GoFundMe he approved is fine and all, but a phone call would have been nice for her emotionally.  She's going through h*ll right now.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

To those not discerning, I suppose it doesn’t. 

Keep clapping away. 

What a weird thing to flex over, but you do you I guess

5 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Some dildo driving very fancy Tesla cut me off the other day, after I laid on my horn, he proceeded to give me the hardest break check. After that I extended him New Jersey salute and laid on the horn again, he literally stopped in the middle of the intersection and blocked me for like 10 seconds. As I opened my window and began yelling and cursing at him, I was hoping that he was going to get out of the car. 

Careful with these morons.  Tesla's have multiple cameras on them.  You don't want him to edit the footage to make you look like a crazy person on YouTube or worse yet, the local news. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I may not agree with her politics, but she's smart enough that I would  not be worried if she won an election in the future.

To remain rational, when it would be so easy to lash out, speaks volumes about her integrity level.

• Huggy Bear 2
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Careful with these morons.  Tesla's have multiple cameras on them.  You don't want him to edit the footage to make you look like a crazy person on YouTube or worse yet, the local news. 

Well if you see any footage of large Eastern European guy yelling at Tesla driver you will know it’s me.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Well if you see any footage of large Eastern European guy yelling at Tesla driver you will know it’s me.

I watch Dashcam Nation on YouTube every time they put out a new video.  I'll let you know if it pops up.  🤣

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

He's likely just trying to play both sides of the aisle now.  It's still a dangerous shift for the Democrats though.

A Teamsters President has never spoken at an RNC convention before until tonight.  He wasn't just a speaker either, he delivered the keynote speech...

Sean O'Brien, Teamsters union chief, becomes first teamster to address RNC (msn.com)

Sean O'Brien, Teamsters union chief, becomes first teamster to address RNC

Sean O'Brien, president of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, gave Monday's keynote speech at the Republican National Convention, delivering one of the most anti-big business speeches in recent RNC memory and becoming the first boss in the organization's 121-year history to address the convention.

The Teamsters, which hasn't endorsed a candidate so far in 2024, has endorsed Democrats in recent years. But as the Republican Party's rhetoric has grown more populist, O'Brien was invited to speak at the RNC as Republicans vie for union votes. O'Brien said he doesn't believe in "knee-jerk" union loyalties. 

"Today, the Teamsters are here to say we are not beholden to anyone or any party," O'Brien said. "We will create an agenda and work with a bipartisan coalition, ready to accomplish something real for the American worker. And I don't care about getting criticized."

O'Brien tackled topics that aren't typically fodder for Republican voters. He blasted big businesses like Walmart and Amazon. He admonished the Chamber of Commerce, calling it "unions for big business." And he said Washington isn't looking out for workers. 

"The American people aren't stupid, they know the system is broken," he said. "We all know how Washington is run. Working people have no chance of winning this fight. That's why I'm here today, because I refuse to keep doing the same things my predecessors did." 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

A Teamsters President has never spoken at an RNC convention before until tonight.  He wasn't just a speaker either, he delivered the keynote speech...

I know.  That's what I was telling people in subsequent posts.  This is a huge shift that is not good for the Democrats.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Thanks.

This illustrated who should and shouldn't be POTUS.   One guy shows compassion.   The other guy shows he really doesn't give a crap.  It also shows just how terrible the political divide is, and how sad some people are.  

Yep.  That woman is so deluded that only one side had the decency to contact her and she can't understand that her being brainwashed by Nazi propaganda has rendered her incapable of basic human decency.

19 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yep.  That woman is so deluded that only one side had the decency to contact her and she can't understand that her being brainwashed by Nazi propaganda has rendered her incapable of basic human decency.

Her husband just got killed.

She chose not to talk to Biden, but does not blame Joe for what happened.

What more do you want to see?

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

49 minutes ago, stawns said:

What a weird thing to flex over, but you do you I guess

I don’t white-knight over those that steal quote jokes from Twitter,  but if that’s what you’re planning on continuing doing, then enjoy defending that.  

40 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I know.  That's what I was telling people in subsequent posts.  This is a huge shift that is not good for the Democrats.

Who are the Teamsters? I've never heard of them.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Who are the Teamsters? I've never heard of them.

They were once the most powerful union in the country.  They still have well over a million members, but they aren't what they once were before Union busting became a thing in the US.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Yeah.  It is odd that he didn't pick up the phone and call the next day.  The GoFundMe he approved is fine and all, but a phone call would have been nice for her emotionally.  She's going through h*ll right now.

I think if I had been shot in the head and almost died, I'd probably be on the phone with my own family...

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sean O'Brien, Teamsters union chief, becomes first teamster to address RNC (msn.com)

Sean O'Brien, Teamsters union chief, becomes first teamster to address RNC

Sean O'Brien, president of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, gave Monday's keynote speech at the Republican National Convention, delivering one of the most anti-big business speeches in recent RNC memory and becoming the first boss in the organization's 121-year history to address the convention.

The Teamsters, which hasn't endorsed a candidate so far in 2024, has endorsed Democrats in recent years. But as the Republican Party's rhetoric has grown more populist, O'Brien was invited to speak at the RNC as Republicans vie for union votes. O'Brien said he doesn't believe in "knee-jerk" union loyalties. 

"Today, the Teamsters are here to say we are not beholden to anyone or any party," O'Brien said. "We will create an agenda and work with a bipartisan coalition, ready to accomplish something real for the American worker. And I don't care about getting criticized."

O'Brien tackled topics that aren't typically fodder for Republican voters. He blasted big businesses like Walmart and Amazon. He admonished the Chamber of Commerce, calling it "unions for big business." And he said Washington isn't looking out for workers. 

"The American people aren't stupid, they know the system is broken," he said. "We all know how Washington is run. Working people have no chance of winning this fight. That's why I'm here today, because I refuse to keep doing the same things my predecessors did." 

From what I can gather about this guy , Sean O'Brien, he is a blowhard full of shit.

He kinda reminds of  John Setka, the now ex president of the CFMEU one of Australia's most powerful, and corrupt unions.

https://www.crikey.com.au/2024/07/16/victorian-labor-jacinta-allan-cfmeu-links-daniel-andrews-john-setka/

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think if I had been shot in the head and almost died, I'd probably be on the phone with my own family...

It's been 2-3 days.  A 5 minute phone call  is all it takes.  I've never been shot though, so I'm not kicking him in the ass for it, but I just think it's odd that he didn't call at some point.  He's been on the phone doing interviews with reporters since shortly after it happened.

10 hours ago, Slegr said:

I hear what you’re saying on why nobody challenged him, no need for the early insult there. Sadly, Americans won’t vote Biden back. He’s too old and senile. You don’t need to know much to realize it. If he stays in the race, he’ll be the one to blame on why Trump gets back in. If Dems put any number of less senile people in, it’s a different outcome.

Thing is, on the one hand you have Biden who is.....old and senile.

On the other hand, you have Trump who is...old and senile and fist in the air angry and rambling and delusional and narcissistic. 

It's a sad state of affairs.

Let's face it, it's up to a leader to lead but not with false bravado and a complete and misguided sense of "I know everything". My God, reading about him and how he undermines the ideas of people with decades of military and other experience like he's the expert. He's paranoid that everyone's taking advantage of the US and paranoia isn't a great place to lead from. It's more a sign of weakness than strength.

He thinks simple conversations with other delusional leaders gives him the upper hand and that he's persuasive when really he's too blind to know he's likely being manipulated. 

He uses rahrahrah fire 'em up energy that gets (dumb?) people excited but there is real fear in having a man in a position of power who could change the world in an instant based on his personal feelings rather than a thorough evaluation and assessment necessary. Reactionary in all the wrong ways. Piss him off and he's a loose cannon (literally). Not sure he's got the reasoning power needed to steer the ship. I'm truly frightened at the prospect of him being at the helm again. His ego is just off the charts and spends more time posting online than really strategizing.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Thing is, on the one hand you have Biden who is.....old and senile.

On the other hand, you have Trump who is...old and senile and fist in the air angry and rambling and delusional and narcissistic. 

It's a sad state of affairs.

Let's face it, it's up to a leader to lead but not with false bravado and a complete and misguided sense of "I know everything". My God, reading about him and how he undermines the ideas of people with decades of military and other experience like he's the expert. He's paranoid that everyone's taking advantage of the US and paranoia isn't a great place to lead from. It's more a sign of weakness than strength.

He thinks simple conversations with other delusional leaders gives him the upper hand and that he's persuasive when really he's too blind to know he's likely being manipulated. 

He uses rahrahrah fire 'em up energy that gets (dumb?) people excited but there is real fear in having a man in a position of power who could change the world in an instant based on his personal feelings rather than a thorough evaluation and assessment necessary. Reactionary in all the wrong ways. Piss him off and he's a loose cannon (literally). Not sure he's got the reasoning power needed to steer the ship. I'm truly frightened at the prospect of him being at the helm again. His ego is just off the charts and spends more time posting online than really strategizing.

I agree with you. He's still winning in all of the polls though, and the US is taking real issues with Biden these days. Trump can be beat, but I largely suspect it won't be by Biden, and it's unfortunate that Biden has his blinders on, unable to see that he's getting in his own party's way at this point.

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I agree with you. He's still winning in all of the polls though, and the US is taking real issues with Biden these days. Trump can be beat, but I largely suspect it won't be by Biden, and it's unfortunate that Biden has his blinders on, unable to see that he's getting in his own party's way at this point.

It seems to be the way with most leaders, very few know when it's time to step aside. Trudeau is doing the same thing up here, he clearly needs to bow out but will he? Probably not.

As things stand today, I expect a big win for the gop, probably taking the Senate and House too.

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1