US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

33 minutes ago, 24K said:

I will 100% guarantee that his tarrifs will just exacerbate inflation and make everyone financially worse off.

Exactly. Most people don't understand that a tariff is a tax paid by the importer. Trump wants a flat 10% tariff on everything from cars to avocados. So if Walmart imports a hundred dollar item from China, Walmart pays China $100 and the US government $10. What the government does with the money is anybody's guess. And how does Walmart recover that 10% extra cost? By passing it on to the consumer, who now is compelled to pay 10% more for the item. End result? China gets its asking price, the government gets 10% and the consumer gets stuck with the 10% increase. Some economists have estimated that the new tariffs will cost the average family up to $2500 more per year in tariff-related increases. Trumponomics: It's what's for dinner.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Average American makes 35% more money than a Canadian. American GDP is growing at 3.5% when Canada is .5%. Whether it is Joe or Donald that isn't changing. Canadians are getting pissed off.  

Sounds like Joe's doing a pretty good job hey? Still can't give him credit though. Go team!!

Vance likely secures Ohio, meaning they won't have to spend as much time and money there.  The issue will be Florida.  Abortion is on the ballot there and will likely be on the ballot in Arizona.  That likely means voter turnout will be higher in those states, not usually a good thing for conservatives.  

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Maybe a letter? 

If I were her I'd prefer the money from the GoFundMe that he approved, but if I were Trump, I'd also call and offer condolences.

Last time I looked (yesterday) the GoFundMe was close to $5 Million.

On 7/15/2024 at 7:51 AM, stawns said:

Disagree completely.  Without the centre, it wouldn't hold.  They'd never follow someone else that way and it's doubtful another psychopath would come along to fill that void.

You'd obviously have hardcore leftovers, but many would just go back to teaparty politics

Yeah, I have to agree with the History teacher here....

None of Trump's Klown Kar adherents would inspire the level of devotion among the "faithful" as he does, There would be pretenders who try and milk the brand for political gain, but they wouldn't be able to pull it off.

Only Trump is Trump, and I thank the God that I don't believe in for that.....

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Pears said:

Lol. Vance becoming Drumpf's VP after literally calling him America's Hitler is the definition of what the streets like to call a "cuck".

Reminds me of Romney when he was kissing the ring at a dinner with Trump hoping for a spot in his administration back in 2016.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Reminds me of Romney when he was kissing the ring at a dinner with Trump hoping for a spot in his administration back in 2016.

I mean all career politicians basically will do that (of whatever political stripe).  Especially hilarious with Vance given his past comments about SirSh*tzHisPants 

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • chaos 1

23 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

It seems we come from different perspectives for sure.

You'd have to send me some video of Harris being smart, I've not seen it in any of her public speaking. She comes across as not particularly impressive at all (hence getting destroyed in the 2020 primary) while RFK from what I've seen is very well read on many issues & can articulate his POV well despite his speaking issues which is no easy thing - agree with his perspective or not, some of which are loony, but that's besides the point. 

You're basing your opinion of her intelligence on a few public speaking clips that you've seen? :classic_huh:

She was the Attorney General of the most populous state in the country. After that, she was a State Senator and then a US Senator.....you honestly think someone could accomplish all of that without being intelligent? Really?

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

21 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I mean all career politicians basically will do that (of whatever political stripe).  Especially hilarious with Vance given his past comments about SirSh*tzHisPants 

The best and brightest rarely decide to be part of the government.

The founding fathers never meant for Congress to become a career because that always breeds corruption.  Congress was meant to be a duty.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Copycat wanna-be or just a normal criminal?

I don't know anything more about it, but could be things in between your two guesses, and outside the parameters all together.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

USSS director is now trying to say that they didn't cover that roof because they were concerned about the 10 degree slope.

Yet, here is the picture of the roof the snipers who killed the gunman were on.

GSoiVK4WcAAjoVp.thumb.jpeg.71a398433d2997adfd009b9f4193b272.jpeg

So now the world knows that the Director of the Secret Service is concerned with roofs and henceforth slightly sloped rooftops are the Secret Service's Achilles heel.

Maybe we can borrow some Mounties from you guys?!  If they can wrestle moose, I think they'd be ok with a rooftop.

Edited by Sabrefan1
added gunman
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

USSS director is now trying to say that they didn't cover that roof because they were concerned about the 10 degree slope.

Yet, here is the picture of the snipers who killed the gunman were on.

So now the world knows that the Director of the Secret Service is concerned with roofs and henceforth slightly sloped rooftops are the Secret Service's Achilles heel.

Maybe we can borrow some Mounties from you guys?!  If they can wrestle moose, I think they'd be ok with a rooftop.

Which reinforces what I said.........the USSS is concerned about snipers further off and the kid was out of their line of sight.  Local law enforcement should have dealt with it on the ground

9 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Pretty sure she is going to get fired.  She literally just disclosed classified information to the entire world...

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Which reinforces what I said.........the USSS is concerned about snipers further off and the kid was out of their line of sight.  Local law enforcement should have dealt with it on the ground

Biden's Secretary of Homeland Security disagrees with you.

Edited by Sabrefan1
typo/space on homeland

Just now, stawns said:

Ummm, the USSS were literally in the exact building that the kid was on.  They were inside the building because they couldn't go on the roof because it was sloped, so they were watching the rally from the inside windows of the building...

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pretty sure she is going to get fired.  She literally just disclosed classified information to the entire world...

I think she was just pulling a n excuse out of her rump before giving it much thought.  Jill Biden's office got her that job.  She'll likely keep it for now.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Exactly. Most people don't understand that a tariff is a tax paid by the importer. Trump wants a flat 10% tariff on everything from cars to avocados. So if Walmart imports a hundred dollar item from China, Walmart pays China $100 and the US government $10. What the government does with the money is anybody's guess. And how does Walmart recover that 10% extra cost? By passing it on to the consumer, who now is compelled to pay 10% more for the item. End result? China gets its asking price, the government gets 10% and the consumer gets stuck with the 10% increase. Some economists have estimated that the new tariffs will cost the average family up to $2500 more per year in tariff-related increases. Trumponomics: It's what's for dinner.

I could be wrong but wasn't the premise of the 10% tariffs built on the idea that Trump was going to eliminate income tax?  Not saying that is a good or bad idea, but that is what the premise was I believe...

15 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I've written about this a few times on the old forum, but we actually gave you Yanks one of our best and brightest, several years ago. His name is Kim Rossmo and he's the guy who developed Geographic profiling.

He was working for the VPD at the time and was involved in (and some would say ultimately solved) The Robert Picton case. The problem was, Rossmo was a civilian and the "old guard" didn't like the fact that he was appointed Detective Inspector, without "paying his dues". In fact they made his job so challenging that it is believed Picton was able to commit more murders, before he was ultimately caught.

Rossmo eventually grew tired with the stonewalling at the VPD and left for the USA....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Rossmo

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1