US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, 24K said:

I will 100% guarantee that his tarrifs will just exacerbate inflation and make everyone financially worse off.

Those manufacturing jobs ain't coming back and the few that does will be heavily automated so not a giant increase in well paying jobs as many would hope. 

It is easier for business just to pass the cost to the consumers. 

Not to mention under his tarrif everything plan, the raw material needed to do the manufacturing is also subject to tarrifs making the whole thing mute as it is probably still cheaper to manufacture in SEA and import the c9moleted good with the tarrifs than trying to source and pay the atarrifs on the raw materials. Not to mention a bigger headache. 

But it sounds good during election season. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Aren't those "polls" with leads pretty much equal to the margin of error?  I doubt it's a slam dunk.  I'd say it's about even but depends on how Sleepy Joe does in the rest of the debates (pressure is all on him as if Dotards looks like an ass, his base won't change in terms of support).

Yea I could be wrong for sure, but after watching a lot of these over the years to me this feels like a beating coming up. 

Go, Joe. Go.

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

I've written about this a few times on the old forum, but we actually gave you Yanks one of our best and brightest, several years ago. His name is Kim Rossmo and he's the guy who developed Geographic profiling.

He was working for the VPD at the time and was involved in (and some would say ultimately solved) The Robert Picton case. The problem was, Rossmo was a civilian and the "old guard" didn't like the fact that he was appointed Detective Inspector, without "paying his dues". In fact they made his job so challenging that it is believed Picton was able to commit more murders, before he was ultimately caught.

Rossmo eventually grew tired with the stonewalling at the VPD and left for the USA....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Rossmo

Awesome!  Thanks for the synopsis and the link.  I'll look him up.  Much appreciated!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

If I were her I'd prefer the money from the GoFundMe that he approved, but if I were Trump, I'd also call and offer condolences.

Last time I looked (yesterday) the GoFundMe was close to $5 Million.

Wow. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Lol. Vance becoming Drumpf's VP after literally calling him America's Hitler is the definition of what the streets like to call a "cuck".

It's entirely possible Vance meant that as a compliment considering how much of a piece of shit he is.

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

It doesn't replace someone but at least they can heal without having to figure out how to make a living without him.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It doesn't replace someone but at least they can heal without having to figure out how to make a living without him.

Absolutely.  They don't have to worry about how to meet their future expenses and bills.  Eventually that would have come crashing down on them without a security blanket. 

16 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I've written about this a few times on the old forum, but we actually gave you Yanks one of our best and brightest, several years ago. His name is Kim Rossmo and he's the guy who developed Geographic profiling.

He was working for the VPD at the time and was involved in (and some would say ultimately solved) The Robert Picton case. The problem was, Rossmo was a civilian and the "old guard" didn't like the fact that he was appointed Detective Inspector, without "paying his dues". In fact they made his job so challenging that it is believed Picton was able to commit more murders, before he was ultimately caught.

Rossmo eventually grew tired with the stonewalling at the VPD and left for the USA....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Rossmo

Holy crap.  I quickly read a few things on him, including the Wikipedia link.  Vancouver law enforcement dropped the ball with their handling of this guy.  He's incredibly brilliant.  He's now in Texas teaching students in his adopted country how to catch criminals.  I'm glad things worked out for him.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

You're basing your opinion of her intelligence on a few public speaking clips that you've seen? :classic_huh:

She was the Attorney General of the most populous state in the country. After that, she was a State Senator and then a US Senator.....you honestly think someone could accomplish all of that without being intelligent? Really?

Not exceptionally intelligent, yes of course. Its politics, being obedient is as important as having exceptional intelligence. Donors want someone who will serve them. 

I'm not saying shes dumb as a board or anything but she would never get to the presidency by winning an election on her own. As we saw when she got demolished in the 2020 primary. 

We can wait & see who wipes the floor with who in the VP debate if you want. 

6 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Holy crap.  I quickly read a few things on him, including the Wikipedia link.  Vancouver law enforcement dropped the ball with their handling of this guy.  He's incredibly brilliant.  He's now in Texas teaching students in his adopted country how to catch criminals.  I'm glad things worked out for him.

If you're into reading fiction, may I introduce you to one "Michael Slade"?

(Michael Slade is actually a pen name, the guy - and now with his daughter - who goes by that pen name are Vancouverites, and have drawn inspiration on Kim Rossmo's work.  Before he started writing fiction, he was a criminal lawyer who dealt with homicide cases.  Fascinating bloodthirsty psycho-thriller crime fiction he writes.)

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

If you're into reading fiction, may I introduce you to one "Michael Slade"?

(Michael Slade is actually a pen name, the guy - and now with his daughter - who goes by that pen name are Vancouverites, and have drawn inspiration on Kim Rossmo's work.  Before he started writing fiction, he was a criminal lawyer who dealt with homicide cases.  Fascinating bloodthirsty psycho-thriller crime fiction he writes.)

Any book in particular your favourite that I should get? 

If I can't find one on Amazon, I'll check online and see if the local libraries have something.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Any book in particular your favourite that I should get? 

If I can't find one on Amazon, I'll check online and see if the local libraries have something.

I always advocate reading from the start - so Headhunter would probably be my recommendation.  The last one I read was Bed of Nails, and then life got in the way.  I think I did manage to buy the four books he published after that though, so one of these days, when I have the energy and the time, I'll read through again from the start right to the end.

PS - I love that you use our Canadian spelling of "favourite".  Warms my heart, it does.  :towel:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

PS - I love that you use our Canadian spelling of "favourite".  Warms my heart, it does.  :towel:

When in Rome...

I usually try to remember the different spellings and use them.  Even the Sabres use the UK/Canadian spelling of Sabre (saber-US).

The local universities often use theatre instead of theater as well.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Rudy drunk at the RNC.

The guy's already bankrupted by the court, might as well let him have his fun at a convention while he still has some of his assets at his disposal... :hurhur:

edit, and by "bankrupted by the courts", I mean he's lost his court protection, so he'll be bankrupted as a result of the cases against him proceeding

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother
  • ThereItIs 2

"Channel 4 News can reveal that Thomas Crooks's, [the shooter's] father, the owner of the rifle that was used to shoot at Donald Trump, was held on a database and profiled by the former president's election campaign and identified by them as a strong Republican supporter, gun owner and hunter. The information was compiled as part of a secret Republican project to gather data on millions of gun owners across America and use it to target pro-gun messages in the run up to the 2016 election...We know they profiled them using secret computer models to identify likely gun owners and enthusiasts, and Mr. Crooks scored very highly, 0.99 out of 1 for being a gun owner and 0.95 out of one 1 being a hunter. In fact, out of more than 19,000 people in Bethel Park who were profiled, Mr. Crooks was in the top 20 and the database classified him as a strong GOP or Republican voter."

article here .... https://www.channel4.com/news/revealed-trump-campaign-secret-data-on-gunmans-family#:~:text=In 2016 the Trump campaign,other gun-related lifestyle indicators

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Some pretty unbelievable stuff coming out the last few days.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13638247/amp/Trump-crooks-sniper-secret-service-cops-rally-Butler-Beaver.html?ico=amp_articleInlineText

Shocking new details reveal how Trump shooter evaded Secret Service and cops THREE times - with one agent even taking a photo of him - before opening fire from top of building with counter-sniper team inside

Spoiler

A team of police snipers team saw Thomas Crooks scouting their command post three times in the minutes before he climbed on top of it and shot Donald Trump from just inches above their heads, it has emerged.

Three police marksmen from Beaver County were using the single-story AGR International building as their watch-post when the would-be assassin chose it as his place to shoot from, CBS reported.

And he may have been in place on the roof for up to 30 minutes before he unleashed his volley of shots that killed one man and nearly took the life of the 45th president on Saturday evening.

A law enforcement official told the channel said that no action was taken after one of the snipers first spotted Crooks looking up at the roof of the building in Butler, Pennsylvania, just 130 yards from where the president would speak.

The 20-year-old disappeared around a corner before he was seen a second time, sitting down and looking at his phone, prompting one of the snipers to take his picture.

The sniper then radioed to a command post after seeing Crooks take out a rangefinder.

But no further action was taken before Crooks reappeared a third time, this time wearing a backpack and disappearing from sight as he walked to the back of the building.

A further radio report relaying the information was submitted by the sniper team who did not realize that Crooks was now scaling their building.

Eight members of the Beaver County Police Department had been tasked with securing the outer perimeter of the rally, while the Secret Service concentrated on the rally itself.

Pittsburgh's WPXI reported that a Beaver officer took a photo after seeing Crooks on the roof at 5.45pm, by which time he had already been photographed on the ground by a colleague.

The final radio report by the three-strong sniper team prompted State police to send reinforcements to the building but it was not until 6.11pm that one climbed onto the roof and saw Crooks with his rifle.

So they were well aware of the threat ahead of time. I have so many questions about this^

They saw him being suspicious multiple times ahead of getting on the roof & just decided to... go back inside & drink coffee or something? Instead of securing the area like was their job?

How does he just 'disappear & re appear'? They didn't follow him or keep a closer eye on him? 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13639613/amp/Secret-Service-director-wasnt-roof-gunman.html

Secret Service director gives bizarre reason why an agent wasn't on the roof where gunman Thomas Matthew Crooks opened fire on Trump as she rejects calls to resign

Spoiler

The mistakes that led to Trump being inches away from being killed sparked calls for Cheatle to step down, but she has refused and has now given a baffling explanation as to why there wasn't a presence on the roof that had a clear line of sight to Trump. 

'That building in particular has a sloped roof at its highest point. And so, you know, there's a safety factor that would be considered there that we wouldn't want to put somebody up on a sloped roof,' she told ABC News in an interview Tuesday.

'And so, you know, the decision was made to secure the building, from inside.'

She also said the Secret Service was aware of the security vulnerabilities presented by the building Crooks took a sniper's position on to aim at Trump. However, a decision was made not to place any personnel on the roof – even though security experts have said a primary responsibility of law enforcement would be to secure elevated areas near a high level protectee.

This is an absolutely absurd explanation when you consider the building SS snipers were set on behind Trump was also 'sloped', possibly even more sloped than the one Crooks shot from just looking at by some of the video/pictures of both...

Here's an example.

Spoiler

index-medium.jpg

How Cheatle hasn't been fired is preposterous.

How you can have this many instances of criminal negligence at the same time by the greatest security detail in the world, despite the awareness of the threats well ahead of time in each case (the potential danger locations, suspicious activity) is far fetched at face value. 

Even taking it at face value, why wasn't Trump pulled off the stage for precautionary reasons when this guy was spotted on the roof looking through a range finder? Not to mention people spotting him with a gun + notifiying police minutes before shooting. The communication can't be that poor. 

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Some pretty unbelievable stuff coming out the last few days.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13638247/amp/Trump-crooks-sniper-secret-service-cops-rally-Butler-Beaver.html?ico=amp_articleInlineText

So they were well aware of the threat ahead of time. I have so many questions about this^

They saw him being suspicious multiple times ahead of getting on the roof & just decided to... go back inside & drink coffee or something? Instead of securing the area like was their job?

How does he just 'disappear & re appear'? They didn't follow him or keep a closer eye on him? 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13639613/amp/Secret-Service-director-wasnt-roof-gunman.html

This is an absolutely absurd explanation when you consider the building SS snipers were set on behind Trump was also 'sloped', possibly even more sloped than the one Crooks shot from just looking at by some of the video/pictures of both...

Here's an example.

Reveal hidden contents

index-medium.jpg

How Cheatle hasn't been fired is preposterous.

How you can have this many instances of criminal negligence at the same time by the greatest security detail in the world, despite the awareness of the threats well ahead of time in each case (the potential danger locations, suspicious activity) is far fetched at face value. 

Even taking it at face value, why wasn't Trump pulled off the stage for precautionary reasons when this guy was spotted on the roof looking through a range finder? Not to mention people spotting him with a gun + notifiying police minutes before shooting. The communication can't be that poor. 

maybe they aren't "the greatest security detail in the world"? 

It's not a movie, these are just people screwing up. I don't think there's a conspiracy here, maybe just crappy training. 

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

maybe they aren't "the greatest security detail in the world"? 

It's not a movie, these are just people screwing up. I don't think there's a conspiracy here, maybe just crappy training. 

If this is just an extraordinary series of coincidences I wonder how many times shooters have been stopped at prior Trump rally? or if this is the first time an attempt has ever happened? Have we ever heard of another one?

He's been doing this for 8 years now atleast, and has been hated to this degree for a very long time.

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

If this is just an extraordinary series of coincidences I wonder how many times shooters have been stopped at prior Trump rally? or if this is the first time an attempt has ever happened? Have we ever heard of another one?

He's been doing this for 8 years now atleast, and has been hated to this degree for a very long time.

I think there can be a false sense of security when nothing happens at a rally. It doesn't mean the security did a good job, it's just a nut didn't show up or got screen out in a metal detector.

I think they saw a derpy kid walking around and dismissed him. I think it's that simple.