US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

Is the state where this happened an 'open carry' state?

If so- how can you stop someone from walking around with a gun?

Only good guys with guns can stop bad guys carrying guns. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Exactly. Most people don't understand that a tariff is a tax paid by the importer. Trump wants a flat 10% tariff on everything from cars to avocados. So if Walmart imports a hundred dollar item from China, Walmart pays China $100 and the US government $10. What the government does with the money is anybody's guess. And how does Walmart recover that 10% extra cost? By passing it on to the consumer, who now is compelled to pay 10% more for the item. End result? China gets its asking price, the government gets 10% and the consumer gets stuck with the 10% increase. Some economists have estimated that the new tariffs will cost the average family up to $2500 more per year in tariff-related increases. Trumponomics: It's what's for dinner.

There are export tariffs as well which is what Trump is peddling.  Problem is that it has the same effect because the exporting country just increases the cost of the goods to cover the tariff leading to higher prices for the consumer anyways.  Same old rhetoric peddled to his mostly stupid supporters.  “China is taking our jobs” “We are going to save our domestic industries and make China pay for it”. Tariffs are really only effective as a retaliatory move in a trade war.  When the majority of your population is used to buying cheap goods from China at Walmart, charging tariffs will not end well.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sapper said:

I'm glad Trump is ok.....I'm starting to believe that the shooter was more intent on starting a civil war and picked the target that could have started one

Once radicalized it's hard to control a supporter and they forget that the politician radicalized them to support them ..... Not solely their cause 

This is the danger of the out of control rehtoric and how it gets taken too far by some ( in particular the more gullible and folks wanting to fit in )

I’m down with subscribing to this ‘conspiracy theory’. 

Or da Iranians. 

Just now, King Heffy said:

Considering Project 2025, they're not even trying to hide it anymore. Using anything else isn't taking the threat that they pose to humanity.

Only the Nazis were Nazis.   We need a new word for the current crowd.  We've got the terms MAGA and Ultra Right.  They fit pretty well and everyone knows what they mean.

I can assure you I am quit aware and quite concerned by the dangers of Project 2025.  I've read as much of their reprehensible manifesto as I could stomach.

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Only good guys with guns can stop bad guys carrying guns. 

“All in the Family”, a 70’s classic comedy TV show, had a character - Archie Bunker - who thought exactly that way. He said the way to stop terrorists on planes was to hand out guns to all the passengers as they board. Then all the “good guys” have guns too. 
There are some people who think arming teachers is how to stop school shootings. 
The USA has not only a gun problem but they have a very serious gun “attitude” problem. Apparently that shooters’ dad had 12 guns! What in the heck does a city person need one gun for, let alone 12? If that kid didn’t have easy access to firearms this shooting doesn’t happen. But the US glorifies guns. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

Here's CCN's take on why the Teamsters boss was at the RNC:

Why a union president crossed partisan lines for a starring role at Trump’s RNC

It was a remarkable moment Monday night at the Republican National Convention, surely creating some amount of confusion among longtime Republicans, when Sean O’Brien, president of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, delivered a stemwinder of a speech in prime time. He called former President Donald Trump a “tough S.O.B.”

O’Brien did not endorse Trump, but he leaned into the incongruity of speaking at the convention of a party that has long fought workers’ ability to organize. The union could vote to endorse a candidate later this year.

“The Teamsters are doing something correct if the extremes in both parties think I shouldn’t be on this stage,” O’Brien said, adding that the union has endorsed Republican presidents Richard Nixon and George H.W. Bush in the past. This year, the Teamsters may not endorse any candidate, even though Biden has fashioned himself as the most pro-labor president in US history. Biden became the first president to join a picket line, when he appeared with striking auto workers in Michigan in 2023.

“At the end of the day, the Teamsters are not interested if you have a “D,” “R” or an “I” next to your name. We want to know one thing,” O’Brien said. “What are you doing to help American workers?”

Appearing Tuesday on “Inside Politics,” O’Brien told CNN’s Dana Bash he would speak at both conventions, but has not yet been invited to the Democratic convention.

“The partisanship is not working. We need bipartisan support, we need bipartisan cooperation,” O’Brien said, adding he would definitely speak at the Democratic convention.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/16/politics/teamsters-president-rnc-what-matters/index.html

Endorsing an anti-union Candidate is beyond the pale for a Union President. 

We are definitely living in the ‘upside down’ now. 🤦🏽‍♂️

• Vintage 1

Just now, Alflives said:

“All in the Family”, a 70’s classic comedy TV show, had a character - Archie Bunker - who thought exactly that way. He said the way to stop terrorists on planes was to hand out guns to all the passengers as they board. Then all the “good guys” have guns too. 
There are some people who think arming teachers is how to stop school shootings. 
The USA has not only a gun problem but they have a very serious gun “attitude” problem. Apparently that shooters’ dad had 12 guns! What in the heck does a city person need one gun for, let alone 12? If that kid didn’t have easy access to firearms this shooting doesn’t happen. But the US glorifies guns. 

Oh I know All In The Family quite well. 

Loved Archie vs Mike. Jefferson vs Archie and everything about that show. 

Just remember, Archie evolved over the seasons. Begrudgingly of course, but with exposure, and information and ‘love’, he still evolved. 

His mentality was an archetype of those post war men that thought machoism was the standard of how society ought to be. 

Society, and again, Archie evolved. 

Society has evolved in many ways. Some places more than others. Social evolution will force out these mindsets eventually. 

The entrenchment is some place and with some people is more hardened. 

Again, knowledge and ‘love’ is the way to overcome many obstacles in Society. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Lets say your right about him wandering around.

They saw him on the roof well ahead of time, atleast 15 mins before, and were made aware he had a gun (both by people in the crowd & by an officer climbing onto the roof only for the shooter to point it at him) minutes before shot rung out, so how do they not get Trump off the stage? They were aware of a threat. Walkie Talkies just not working in those few mins aswell?

And do you think Cheatles explanation as to why the only obvious sniper nest in the area was left open - despite them doing a walkthrough the day prior & identifying the danger of it - is sufficient? 

It was an inside job.  That's the only thing that makes sense.  Saying it was incompetence is pretty hard to believe given what you pointed out.  Also, that building was where the cops were stationed, there were literally cops inside the building at the time of the shooting.  There is also video evidence that the snipers beside Trump on the roof saw this kid at least 3 minutes before he took the first shot.  So why didn't they take him out?  Why did they wait until he shot first?  The explanation is that the snipers were told not to shoot first, which is bs.  Cheatles explanation that the secret service couldn't go on that roof because it was sloped is also bs because the other snipers that we saw in the video were on an even larger sloped roof.

In 1963 we didn't have social media and all of the camera phones and videos like we do now.  If we did, we would have figured that one out pretty quickly as well.  

• Vintage 3

59 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Human error- B.C. Ferry style    -coles note versions

communication error:

Decades back, in Nanaimo a RCMP officer was driving his van, full of family onto the upper car deck. The bridge had talked to the tower about departing, and was told " All clear after this car" Unfortunately, on the bridge they hear "All clear" so put her in gear and began to leave. Multiple deaths as the shore ship apron dropped when the car deck was no longer under it.    

Full write up in 'The Nemetz Report" by former Chief Justice Nathan Nemetz.--You see those red flashing lights on the ship?  those were one of his many recommendations.

They mean 'imminent departure" the ship is leaving. Gives people a visual warning to stop traffic from getting on the shore apron.

Queen of the North sinking.

OOW gives the quartermaster orders to bring the ship to port by a couple of degrees. QM say "2 degrees to port, steering such and such". ---- qm input the new course onto the auto pilot--but did NOT hit the l'lock in heading' button.

OOW assumed his order was being followed- after all the QM verified. And the ship sailed on, on her original course.

This process was repeated more than twice, as the OOW was trying for a gradual turn to clear the island, and kept believing that the course had been changed. He actually believed the course was good- until about a minute before hitting the island.

A good rule of thumb is to rule out human error before moving on to more complicated scenarios.

I’ll add the Gimli glider to your list.

• ThereItIs 1

29 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Endorsing an anti-union Candidate is beyond the pale for a Union President. 

We are definitely living in the ‘upside down’ now. 🤦🏽‍♂️

The conspiracy theorist in me is thinking that the Teamsters don't want to go to electric trucks.

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

The conspiracy theorist in me is thinking that the Teamsters don't want to go to electric trucks.

Why? In your opinion. 

It’s not a loss of jobs, according the the Collective Bargaining Agreement. It’s a shift over to a different source of energy. 

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It was an inside job.  That's the only thing that makes sense.  Saying it was incompetence is pretty hard to believe given what you pointed out.  Also, that building was where the cops were stationed, there were literally cops inside the building at the time of the shooting.  There is also video evidence that the snipers beside Trump on the roof saw this kid at least 3 minutes before he took the first shot.  So why didn't they take him out?  Why did they wait until he shot first?  The explanation is that the snipers were told not to shoot first, which is bs.  Cheatles explanation that the secret service couldn't go on that roof because it was sloped is also bs because the other snipers that we saw in the video were on an even larger sloped roof.

In 1963 we didn't have social media and all of the camera phones and videos like we do now.  If we did, we would have figured that one out pretty quickly as well.  

That makes the least amount of sense, over human error, lax protocols, depending on podunk rural police forces and/or assumptions about a ‘safe space’, but that would take one back to my first point. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes, they do. I think of the time back in the 1990's when one of the fads was Lawn Darts. Apparently two people were either seriously injured or killed in lawn dart accidents. Result: a complete ban on lawn darts. Meanwhile, since the 1999 mass shooting at Columbine, there have been 413 school shootings in the USA. But at least the chldren are safe from lawn darts.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Why? In your opinion. 

It’s not a loss of jobs, according the the Collective Bargaining Agreement. It’s a shift over to a different source of energy. 

After that post I thought to myself I should have used a happy face icon to denote a high degree of sarcasm.

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

That makes the least amount of sense, over human error, lax protocols, depending on podunk rural police forces and/or assumptions about a ‘safe space’, but that would take one back to my first point. 

Human error can only take you so far.  Cheatles saying the snipers couldn't go onto a sloped roof isn't human error, it was an outright lie.  The snipers not taking the kid out when they knew he was already there for 3 minutes isn't human error.  They were told not to shoot first.  The cop who saw the kid and climbed up the roof and then ran down when the kid pointed the rifle at him isn't human error.  The cop knew he was there and what his purpose was.  Cops don't have walkie talkies?  A 20 year old kid who is on the roof and pointing a rifle at Trump isn't considered enough of a threat to get him off the stage?

We were told JFK was assassinated by a lone gunman.  That theory was stated over and over again.  Once I read the JFK files that were released it totally changed my mind.  Multiple bullets at multiple different angles could not have been a lone gunman...

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Curmudgeon said:

Yes, they do. I think of the time back in the 1990's when one of the fads was Lawn Darts. Apparently two people were either seriously injured or killed in lawn dart accidents. Result: a complete ban on lawn darts. Meanwhile, since the 1999 mass shooting at Columbine, there have been 413 school shootings in the USA. But at least the chldren are safe from lawn darts.

Don't forget Kinder Surprise eggs, American kids are safe from them too unlike here in Canada where we expose our kids to such dangers.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Well aww geez Edith, (silent H in his wifes name, haha) What you gotta go and do all dat four, eh now there, Edit'?

• Vintage 2

55 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Only the Nazis were Nazis.   We need a new word for the current crowd.  We've got the terms MAGA and Ultra Right.  They fit pretty well and everyone knows what they mean.

I can assure you I am quit aware and quite concerned by the dangers of Project 2025.  I've read as much of their reprehensible manifesto as I could stomach.

My wife read through a lot of it, while I guessed and made point form notes. After she got tired of learning about that wacko document i showed her my guesses and she was shocked how close i was in my thirty things list. hahahha

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Human error can only take you so far.  Cheatles saying the snipers couldn't go onto a sloped roof isn't human error, it was an outright lie.  The snipers not taking the kid out when they knew he was already there for 3 minutes isn't human error.  They were told not to shoot first.  The cop who saw the kid and climbed up the roof and then ran down when the kid pointed the rifle at him isn't human error.  The cop knew he was there and what his purpose was.  Cops don't have walkie talkies?  A 20 year old kid who is on the roof and pointing a rifle at Trump isn't considered enough of a threat to get him off the stage?

We were told JFK was assassinated by a lone gunman.  That theory was stated over and over again.  Once I read the JFK files that were released it totally changed my mind.  Multiple bullets at multiple different angles could not have been a lone gunman...

Human error results in most catastrophic situations. 

So, I think you’re incorrect. 

I think this was a situation where information wasn’t relayed quick enough to those that received it and then had the clearance to act upon it. 

Seconds matter. 

Like in a war zone. 

There’s a chain of command. And for a good reason. 

This event was an example of how ‘protection zones’ need to be expanded and local law enforcement shouldn’t be used by Federal Protective Services. 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Holy crap.  I quickly read a few things on him, including the Wikipedia link.  Vancouver law enforcement dropped the ball with their handling of this guy.  He's incredibly brilliant.  He's now in Texas teaching students in his adopted country how to catch criminals.  I'm glad things worked out for him.

It was a fuck up of criminal proportions.

The higher ups at the VPD at the time, have the blood of some of Picton's victims on their hands, IMO....

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1