US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

If you're into reading fiction, may I introduce you to one "Michael Slade"?

(Michael Slade is actually a pen name, the guy - and now with his daughter - who goes by that pen name are Vancouverites, and have drawn inspiration on Kim Rossmo's work.  Before he started writing fiction, he was a criminal lawyer who dealt with homicide cases.  Fascinating bloodthirsty psycho-thriller crime fiction he writes.)

I've read everything Slade has written and I concur....

Highly recommend.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Some pretty unbelievable stuff coming out the last few days.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13638247/amp/Trump-crooks-sniper-secret-service-cops-rally-Butler-Beaver.html?ico=amp_articleInlineText

So they were well aware of the threat ahead of time. I have so many questions about this^

They saw him being suspicious multiple times ahead of getting on the roof & just decided to... go back inside & drink coffee or something? Instead of securing the area like was their job?

How does he just 'disappear & re appear'? They didn't follow him or keep a closer eye on him? 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13639613/amp/Secret-Service-director-wasnt-roof-gunman.html

This is an absolutely absurd explanation when you consider the building SS snipers were set on behind Trump was also 'sloped', possibly even more sloped than the one Crooks shot from just looking at by some of the video/pictures of both...

Here's an example.

Reveal hidden contents

index-medium.jpg

How Cheatle hasn't been fired is preposterous.

How you can have this many instances of criminal negligence at the same time by the greatest security detail in the world, despite the awareness of the threats well ahead of time in each case (the potential danger locations, suspicious activity) is far fetched at face value. 

Even taking it at face value, why wasn't Trump pulled off the stage for precautionary reasons when this guy was spotted on the roof looking through a range finder? Not to mention people spotting him with a gun + notifiying police minutes before shooting. The communication can't be that poor. 

Don't take this the wrong way, Kass, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but what exactly are you trying to say here?

Do you believe that the SS, allowed this shooting to take place? Was it part of some larger conspiracy?

I get that it seems odd that the guys who get paid to make sure this sort of thing doesn't happen, seem to have completely dropped the ball, but what is the alternative? It doesn't make sense to repeatedly ask all of these leading questions, unless you believe there were some sort of shenanigans going on....

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Start a timer, walk to your car, get something out of the glove box, walk back to the timer: that is about the total number of seconds anyone in the security team knew their was a guy, and even less of that time was he on the roof. You are all thinking and talking like the security detail was in on it or was negligant: I assure you if they had someone on that roof or denying access to it, that crazy ass kid would have found a different spot. You cant surround politicians with 200 armed guards every day all day of an election cycle. Nuff said, Trump was not hurt very badly, some random innocents were hurt or killed, which is terrible, and the crazy cracker is dead. 
I am pretty sure any official examination of events will say the same thing. I counted 22 possible spots outside the rally that a shooter could have gotten up on, hundreds of other spots without the elevation..
It is not a blanket whiteout of protection that details provide, they work the percentages, like goalies, and like goalies, even the best ones will get scored on every once in a while.

edit: my opinion is that America itself has failed because any crazy ass citizen can get a high powered AR style gun and use it any time their invisible friends tells them to. 

Looks like Skinner was in net.

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Start a timer, walk to your car, get something out of the glove box, walk back to the timer: that is about the total number of seconds anyone in the security team knew their was a guy, and even less of that time was he on the roof. You are all thinking and talking like the security detail was in on it or was negligant: I assure you if they had someone on that roof or denying access to it, that crazy ass kid would have found a different spot. You cant surround politicians with 200 armed guards every day all day of an election cycle. Nuff said, Trump was not hurt very badly, some random innocents were hurt or killed, which is terrible, and the crazy cracker is dead. 
I am pretty sure any official examination of events will say the same thing. I counted 22 possible spots outside the rally that a shooter could have gotten up on, hundreds of other spots without the elevation..
It is not a blanket whiteout of protection that details provide, they work the percentages, like goalies, and like goalies, even the best ones will get scored on every once in a while.

edit: my opinion is that America itself has failed because any crazy ass citizen can get a high powered AR style gun and use it any time their invisible friends tells them to. 

I agree....

For me, the tell is the fact that the shooter was a 20 year old kid without a military background. If you're part of a conspiracy to assassinate a presidential candidate, you don't look for your shooter on Craigslist.....

• ThereItIs 1

25 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Negligence would mean some intent to let the kid do harm. All professionals can make mistakes, no one bats 1.000,  which seems to me to be a contributor here. 

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

I agree....

For me, the tell is the fact that the shooter was a 20 year old kid without a military background. If you're part of a conspiracy to assassinate a presidential candidate, you don't look for your shooter on Craigslist.....

I think there were many mistakes made by many people, it just wasn't one mistake. My bet would be inexperience, how many of these people actually went through a live situation before?

However, this is a major screw up, answers are needed so it doesn't happen again and people need to be held accountable.

If it was a conspiracy it would involve multiple people across multiple agencies including the police,  there is no way that can be organized without at least one person saying something.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

The conspiracy theorist in me is thinking that the Teamsters don't want to go to electric trucks.

51 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Why? In your opinion. 

It’s not a loss of jobs, according the the Collective Bargaining Agreement. It’s a shift over to a different source of energy. 

43 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

After that post I thought to myself I should have used a happy face icon to denote a high degree of sarcasm.

If you hadn't posted that last post there, I was actually going to mention that the logical next step after electric trucks would've been the AI angle, which would've made it a threat to their livelihoods.

However now that you've mentioned you posted your original comment in jest...

...I'll still point out that AI-operated electric trucks that are capable of self-operation and self-navigation are an existential threat to their trucking jobs.  :hurhur:

39 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

This event was an example of how ‘protection zones’ need to be expanded and local law enforcement shouldn’t be used by Federal Protective Services. 

Last time that I looked it up, the US was one of the only western countries that did not require 4 years of secondary education for local and state law enforcement.  If you can't hack it in high school and decide to get an equivalency diploma (GED), that's good enough to become a cop here.

So people who thought high school was too tough and cerebral could potentially be helping to guard the POTUS and other candidates.

Edited by Sabrefan1
added local and state for clarity
  • Sad 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

If you hadn't posted that last post there, I was actually going to mention that the logical next step after electric trucks would've been the AI angle, which would've made it a threat to their livelihoods.

...I'll still point out that AI-operated electric trucks that are capable of self-operation and self-navigation are an existential threat to their trucking jobs.  :hurhur:

I mentioned a high degree of sarcasm but less than 100%.  A love of old school diesel, brotherhood with oil related union workers and auto workers, fear of MAGA Teamsters, fear of AI driven vehicles, all may come into play.  We'd have to ask them but I doubt they'd tell us

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

https://fb.watch/tmSMXjm7Ol/

We're getting better, last time someone lost a part of their ear (Holyfield) we got knocked out in the first round, we need three volunteers to lose a part of their ear and the Cup is ours in 2027.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sapper said:

I'm glad Trump is ok.....I'm starting to believe that the shooter was more intent on starting a civil war and picked the target that could have started one

Once radicalized it's hard to control a supporter and they forget that the politician radicalized them to support them ..... Not solely their cause 

This is the danger of the out of control rehtoric and how it gets taken too far by some ( in particular the more gullible and folks wanting to fit in )

I think your on to something

Alex Jones may have given the idea... start at 13:05

One thing I heard is the Secret Service director was an equity hire and she wants 30% of secret service to be women, if true then the best people are not doing the job. Here is a photo i just seen:

Untitled.jpg.730375c292e5bb4489d391de935fd747.jpg

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

When was the last time a nomination had this much controversy within a party?

This article is way too long but describes a huge battle between incumbent Jimmy Carter and Ted Kennedy for the nomination:

The Humiliating Handshake and the Near-Fistfight that Broke the Democratic Party

In 1980, the Democratic National Convention became a heated battle between Kennedy and Carter. The fight for the soul of the party didn’t end there.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/01/21/camelots-end-kennedy-vs-carter-democratic-convention-1980-224030/

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

One thing I heard is the Secret Service director was an equity hire and she wants 30% of secret service to be women, if true then the best people are not doing the job. Here is a photo i just seen:

Untitled.jpg.730375c292e5bb4489d391de935fd747.jpg

There is a lot of audio and video out there where she is quite involved.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Satchmo said:

There is a lot of audio and video out there where she is quite involved.

Yeah, but it's the initial reaction that they are trained for so if this is true its another major failure.

I loved watching little Marco, birdbrain, lying’ Ted and the rest of stooges bend over and kiss Donny’s ring.

Hopefully he continues shitting on them, they don’t deserve any better.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Some House Democrats want DNC to cancel early virtual vote that would formalize Biden's nomination

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biden-dnc-virtual-roll-call-letter/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=508747351

They are doing this because their convention is late, and there was an issue with Ohio who pushed their deadline up to appear on their ballot.  This is to ensure that he can get on the ballot there and any other state that tries to pull some shenanigans.   Ohio has since fixed the issue, but the DNC isn't taking any chances. 

38 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

When was the last time a nomination had this much controversy within a party?

Good question.  I can't think of one offhand, but my earliest political memory only reaches back to when Reagan beat Jimmy Carter.  Even then, I was 6 and all I can remember from that night was the national news and a rotating graphic showing Reagan smiling and Carter frowning.

I just paused for 5 minutes after typing the first 2 sentences and the only past candidate of the last 45 years that comes close is Dukakis.  That silly tank photo ended his campaign, but that happened after his nomination so there was nothing the Democrats could do about it.  They had already chosen him.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

They are doing this because their convention is late, and there was an issue with Ohio who pushed their deadline up to appear on their ballot.  This is to ensure that he can get on the ballot there and any other state that tries to pull some shenanigans.   Ohio has since fixed the issue, but the DNC isn't taking any chances. 

Even some of the non-conservative news outlets are pushing the narrative that it mainly has to do with factions of the party still wanting to replace Biden.

Some of their large donors are pausing their contributions trying to pressure the party.

How much is true and is any of it MSM corporate spin?  I have no idea.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.