US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

Start a timer, walk to your car, get something out of the glove box, walk back to the timer: that is about the total number of seconds anyone in the security team knew their was a guy, and even less of that time was he on the roof. You are all thinking and talking like the security detail was in on it or was negligant: I assure you if they had someone on that roof or denying access to it, that crazy ass kid would have found a different spot. You cant surround politicians with 200 armed guards every day all day of an election cycle. Nuff said, Trump was not hurt very badly, some random innocents were hurt or killed, which is terrible, and the crazy cracker is dead. 
I am pretty sure any official examination of events will say the same thing. I counted 22 possible spots outside the rally that a shooter could have gotten up on, hundreds of other spots without the elevation..
It is not a blanket whiteout of protection that details provide, they work the percentages, like goalies, and like goalies, even the best ones will get scored on every once in a while.

edit: my opinion is that America itself has failed because any crazy ass citizen can get a high powered AR style gun and use it any time their invisible friends tells them to. 

I am thinking some could possess a grenade launcher or 50. Cal machine gun. Not to mention a mortar launcher or two. 

Gaetz Interrupts McCarthy’s CNN Interview in Heated RNC Floor Feud

b0f055c4d8962b87bf6668cd5b96aaa0.webp.38f039d91181829cf61495634325c709.webp

The animosity between former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy and Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) was on display again Tuesday, when the latter interrupted an interview between McCarthy and CNN on the floor of the Republican National Convention to mock him about not having a speaking gig at the event.

The pair have been sparring for more than a year. Gaetz told colleagues that he led the effort to remove McCarthy as speaker last fall after the then-California congressman revived a House Ethics Committee probe into sex trafficking allegations against him, The Daily Beast reported in January. For his part, McCarthy has said that Gaetz “belongs in jail,” and at a Georgetown University event in April, told attendees that he is no longer speaker because “one person wanted me to stop an ethics complaint because he slept with a 17-year-old.” That congressional probe is ongoing. Federal prosecutors decided not to charge Gaetz in February 2023, and Gaetz has maintained his innocence.

All that came to the forefront during a hostile exchange Tuesday in Milwaukee. As McCarthy was speaking to CNN’s Kaitlan Collins, Gaetz burst into frame, badgering McCarthy with rhetorical questions about when he would be speaking at the convention.

“What night are you speaking? Are you speaking tonight, or?” Gaetz began, a jab at McCarthy not being on the list of speakers, while Gaetz is.

McCarthy, not turning to look at Gaetz, responded: “He’s got an ethics complaint about paying—sleeping with a 17-year-old.”

Gaetz shot back: “Hey, if you took that stage, you would get booed off of it. You would get booed off the stage.”

Afterwards, a man behind Gaetz—whose identity wasn’t immediately clear—told him to “shut up.”

“Don’t be an asshole,” he said, prompting the MAGA congressman to reply: “I don’t even know who you are, man.”

“It doesn’t fucking matter who I am,” the man responded. “Don’t be an asshole.”

Prior to Gaetz’s interruption, McCarthy had been arguing that the GOP was “more united” than in 2016.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

One thing I heard is the Secret Service director was an equity hire and she wants 30% of secret service to be women, if true then the best people are not doing the job. Here is a photo i just seen:

Untitled.jpg.730375c292e5bb4489d391de935fd747.jpg

We would have to see the entire picture for everyone's placement.

There are a couple of tactical protection formations where the inner circle collapses on top of the asset and the wingman create a blocked view to prevent the asset from being targeted.

In the split second all this happened they didn't know where the shots were coming from so would have instinctively just adopted positions 

Although I served Canadian not US .... My experiences with women were the ones in combat arms were nuts !!!! They may not be the toughest but would not have the last one in and certainly didn't shy from duty. If anything they over compensate to show the men they belong and that unpredictability is what's makes them tough.    Secret service isn't rookies. To be there all of them have been in life and death situations prior and proved themselves 

If you look at the pictures immediately following the shooter being taken out and Trump standing .... There are 2 secret service on the outside later of what would look like a group hug ... One man and this women on opposite sides 

The podium itself would be armoured so collapsing Trump behind it asap is key 

Picture the wigmen as having the task of blocking a side shot. If there was a shooter to the side they would have been shot 

Edited by Sapper
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Good question.  I can't think of one offhand, but my earliest political memory only reaches back to when Reagan beat Jimmy Carter.  Even then, I was 6 and all I can remember from that night was the national news and a rotating graphic showing Reagan smiling and Carter frowning.

I just paused for 5 minutes after typing the first 2 sentences and the only past candidate of the last 45 years that comes close is Dukakis.  That silly tank photo ended his campaign, but that happened after his nomination so there was nothing the Democrats could do about it.  They had already chosen him.

68-69 I think.  Johnson declines to serve another term, the country rallies behind RFK who is killed in early June and Humphrey ends up winning the nomination and gets trounced by Nixon........we all know the rest

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Sapper said:

We would have to see the entire picture for everyone's placement.

There are a couple of tactical protection formations where the inner circle collapses on top of the asset and the wingman create a blocked view to prevent the asset from being targeted.

In the split second all this happened they didn't know where the shots were coming from so would have instinctively just adopted positions 

Although I served Canadian not US .... My experiences with women were the ones in combat arms were nuts !!!! They may not be the toughest but would not have the last one in and certainly didn't shy from duty. If anything they over compensate to show the men they belong and that unpredictability is what's makes them tough.    Secret service isn't rookies. To be there all of them have been in life and death situations prior and proved themselves 

True but there is also video of her having a hard time to holster her gun.

Reason why this bothers me is my best friends sister in law was hired by the RCMP as a diversity hire. Within a year she had a desk job because of back problems from carrying a gun. She was a few millimeter short of 5' and at least a stone short of 100 pounds. Luckily while on beat she never faced a situation where she was needed or someones life depended on it.

There are some jobs where the best and only the best need to be hired. Police, firefighters and Secret Service agents are amongst that group.

9 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Reason why this bothers me is my best friends sister in law was hired by the RCMP as a diversity hire. Within a year she had a desk job because of back problems from carrying a gun. She was a few millimeter short of 5' and at least a stone short of 100 pounds. Luckily while on beat she never faced a situation where she was needed or someones life depended on it.

There are some jobs where the best and only the best need to be hired. Police, firefighters and Secret Service agents are amongst that group.

You lost the plot at "diversity hire," imo

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Holstering a weapon while under duress isn’t necessarily a reason to discount an Operator from their duties. 

A lot of misogyny behind that point of view. 

A lot of that comes from looking and listening to Twitter feeds. 

The women that are part of any Security Detail are there because they passed all the physical, psychological and cognition test…time after time as they requalify. 

Don’t make me post the Brazilian female police officer that went HAM like a street fighter character. 

Read my reasoning and experience, also setting percentages doesn't give you the best hires. Reaction under duress is the highlight of their job. I have no issues with women being hired for a position if they are the best candidate. From what I see this agent should have never been hired.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

You lost the plot at "diversity hire," imo

If your life depended on hiring security are you hiring the best people for the job or 30% women? Dont be a jackass.

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

If your life depended on hiring security are you hiring the best people for the job or 30% women? Dont be a jackass.

What makes you think she isn't?  Because she's a woman?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

From what I've seen she didn't react fast enough and seemed shaken after, on top on that if I needed someone to shield me a 6'6" person does a better job than whatever height she is. The worst part is the 30% female hiring policy, that guarantees you don't get the best person.

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

From what I've seen she didn't react fast enough and seemed shaken after, on top on that if I needed someone to shield me a 6'6" person does a better job than whatever height she is. The worst part is the 30% female hiring policy, that guarantees you don't get the best person.

Frustrated Discovery Channel GIF by Discovery

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

If your life depended on it would you hire her? After all she is supposed to be the best of the best.

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

If your life depended on it would you hire her? After all she is supposed to be the best of the best.

I think you think they just went down to the local soup kitchen and selected the woman who makes the best coffee

• Haha 2

Just now, stawns said:

I think you think they just went down to the local soup kitchen and selected the woman who makes the best coffee

Nope, but they did not hire the best of the best, only the best women. Some jobs men are more suited for and thats the way it is. Again, read my post about the who the RCMP hired, would you want her showing up if your life was in danger?

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Good question.  I can't think of one offhand, but my earliest political memory only reaches back to when Reagan beat Jimmy Carter.  Even then, I was 6 and all I can remember from that night was the national news and a rotating graphic showing Reagan smiling and Carter frowning.

I just paused for 5 minutes after typing the first 2 sentences and the only past candidate of the last 45 years that comes close is Dukakis.  That silly tank photo ended his campaign, but that happened after his nomination so there was nothing the Democrats could do about it.  They had already chosen him.

I have to think if Biden has one more gaffe there's zero chance of him winning.

Crazy times.

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I think you have to meet more than one women who serves or served before you try to describe them all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

She was a few millimeter short of 5' and at least a stone short of 100 pounds.

I call BS. The RCMP has a minimum height requirement of 5'2" for both men and women. Recruits are also required to have a healthy body weight, though no specific minimum is stated. But according to your description, this person stood about 5'0" and weighed around 86 pounds. Eighty-six pounds on a 5'0" frame is certainly not a healthy body weight in any culture.

42 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

From what I see this agent should have never been hired.

You saw a photograph that confirms your sexist bias.

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 2