US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Worth looking into ..

What is this trend of big companies trying their best to alienate and piss off their biggest customer base?

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, 24K said:

What is this trend of big companies trying their best to alienate and piss off their biggest customer base?

They get so big, they start thinking the people need them, rather than them, needing the people.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Why are there no women in the NFL, NHL or NBA? Fact is, some things men are just better at, not facing truth to sound superior is just plain stupid.

Those leagues focus hiring on people who have been in them ... That's why few women have been hired in key roles.

We went through this same Crap in the military.  When they announced that women could now enroll in combat arms trades the cry was about women not having that experience and not as strong as some males.

I remember the RSM having us on parade and letting everyone know the 2 rule changes ( under Mulroney ) .... Women could serve in all combat except submarines and gay was ok now

On women he said anyone fearing a women would be promoted unqualified was a direct attack on him and you should have the balls to say it to his face. All NCO promotions above corporal must have his approval and either they trust him to do his job or they don't

It took a few decades but now we have senior NCO and officers who are female and no one questions their abilities. They just needed a chance to be there and prove themselves and until 1990 they didn't have that chance 

For gays  his comments were way ahead of his time

First - anyone not wanting a gay relationship should follow their heart and not have one

Second - there is no such thing as an atheist or sexual preference in the trenches. Anyone in that trench thinking about sex is going to get someone killed. When the bullets fly having each other's backs is the ONLy thing that matters

Using the argument that women aren't there so shouldn't is solely based on the belief that women haven't been given that shot so we shouldn't start now

Women may never suit up in a male dominated professional league ..... But given the chance to coach or scout they have ample experience and skills and just need that first shot to prove it

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

is coffee lefty? 

No but Starbuck consumer base is more metro/suburban that lean left. 

Not to mention the right constant attack on the left spending $8 bucks on Starbucks etc. 

Just now, 24K said:

No but Starbuck consumer base is more metro/suburban that lean left. 

Not to mention the right constant attack on the left spending $8 bucks on Starbucks etc. 

tbh I'm getting tired of people telling me where to shop. I don't want to "side" my entire life. 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Those leagues focus hiring on people who have been in them ... That's why few women have been hired in key roles.

We went through this same Crap in the military.  When they announced that women could now enroll in combat arms trades the cry was about women not having that experience and not as strong as some males.

I remember the RSM having us on parade and letting everyone know the 2 rule changes ( under Mulroney ) .... Women could serve in all combat except submarines and gay was ok now

On women he said anyone fearing a women would be promoted unqualified was a direct attack on him and you should have the balls to say it to his face. All NCO promotions above corporal must have his approval and either they trust him to do his job or they don't

It took a few decades but now we have senior NCO and officers who are female and no one questions their abilities. They just needed a chance to be there and prove themselves and until 1990 they didn't have that chance 

For gays  his comments were way ahead of his time

First - anyone not wanting a gay relationship should follow their heart and not have one

Second - there is no such thing as an atheist or sexual preference in the trenches. Anyone in that trench thinking about sex is going to get someone killed. When the bullets fly having each other's backs is the ONLy thing that matters

Using the argument that women aren't there so shouldn't is solely based on the belief that women haven't been given that shot so we shouldn't start now

Women may never suit up in a male dominated professional league ..... But given the chance to coach or scout they have ample experience and skills and just need that first shot to prove it

And to your point:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/jessica-campbell-coach-nhl-seattle-kraken-1.7262144#:~:text=Jessica Campbell is the first,player with Cornell University's NCAA.

It is starting to happen in the NHL. More and more women already in management/development departments. Now breaking into coaching. It's a good thing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

tbh I'm getting tired of people telling me where to shop. I don't want to "side" my entire life. 

Same.

Besides that, plenty of reasons to dislike and avoid Starbucks as it is anyway.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Gurn said:

What if they didn't?

------

I'd say a difference could be that Starbucks seems to be a sponsor, while most mom and pops are smart enough/broke enough to just vote for their choice; without risking part of their market getting ticked off.

As a former bookstore, and Vacuum shop owner, I knew  to keep politics and religion, far away from the front door of my store.

I just want good value for my money, and hopefully not be buying from a place that uses slave labour somewhere down the line. From what I've read, Starbucks is the primary driver behind fair trade coffee. But I'm supposed to not look at the whole picture because someone tweeted. 

Before the RNC convention, people were telling me I wasn't supposed to go to Starbucks (which I rarely do, I can make better shots at home) because Palestine. Oh and this bank but not that bank, etc. Go to Walmart to hurt Loblaws. Its getting silly, imo.

3 minutes ago, Ralph. said:

Same.

Besides that, plenty of reasons to dislike and avoid Starbucks as it is anyway.

I use it in desperation usually, like at an airport. You can make way better shots at home with some simple equipment. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

be careful , and wiser , to your choice of addictions.

As drug sales fuel Cartels .. and gives them power.

Corporations can do the same, and can become corrupt in other ventures.

• ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I thought about going to a Starbucks, but my bank wouldn't float the loan, I'd need to buy any Starbucks product

Their oat bar is half the size it used to be 10 years ago,.  And twice the price .

…. for fucking oats.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

be careful , and wiser , to your choice of addictions.

As drug sales fuel Cartels .. and gives them power.

Corporations can do the same, and can become corrupt in other ventures.

I don't actually know what this means in relation to Starbucks. I mean don't go if it bothers you. To me they do still look like a company on the whole that has done good things re: supply chain around the globe. 

Same thing with Loblaws. I'd rather support a Canadian company than fucking Walmart. 

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I use it in desperation usually, like at an airport. You can make way better shots at home with some simple equipment. 

We need to start an espresso thread, talk about equipment, where to buy beans etc...

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1