US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Again, and this cannot be stressed enough.

This is not strictly about the party at all.  Partisanship is a major part of the issue but it's not the overall problem.

The meat of every argument stems back to the system that exists is a system neither party will fix it correct for the people

I've been very extremely vocal about Canadian politics needing a total reset for the same reasons 

Until such time as something significant gives way.  The Dems and the GOP will still just be two similar entities arguing differing points of view but being absolutely unwilling to do anything to correct or fix it

I am not beholden to any party, I do not vote in the US or in Canada either, I just like to follow politics. I fully get where you're coming from and would love to see a shake up, but I fear broadcasting the message that the system is rigged because every party is the same will only allow thee worst people to take power. So find another way to shake things up and I'll gladly play along.

3 hours ago, Playoff Beered said:

Asking for for you to back up your argument is spreading disinformation and trolling? And good luck getting sharpshooter to see @Bob Long as a troll.

You can easily Google it and do your own research if you were interested to LEARN, but you're not. Even when I do answer you ignore everything and go right back to what you were doing before: Acting in bad faith and trolling. Again and again. And here we are.

Buddy, I'm here to discuss US Politics and the methods to achieving better living and working conditions for people.

Are you?

And yes, there are differences of opinion how to move that needle. Different philosophies with different means and methods. But why you feel the need to try and railroad the exploration beyond mere status quo voting is interesting.

There's more going on than red and blue. And like it or not, I'll be here to help remind people of that.

Edited by Canuckle

45 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Is how Jared got $2 Billion from the Saudis starting to make sense now? President Dotard isn't just someone who likes to keep souvenirs.

Jack Smith is indicating he has compelling evidence of ill intent. Get ready and stop arguing about non nonsensical BS. The biggest story in the history of the US is going to drop soon.

I hope you are correct but sadly I think the MAGAs will still follow him.

9 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

You can easily Google it and do your own research if you were interested to LEARN, but you're not. Even when I do answer you ignore everything and go right back to what you were doing before: Acting in bad faith and trolling. Again and again. And here we are.

Buddy, I'm here to discuss US Politics and the methods to achieving better living and working conditions for people.

Are you?

And yes, there are differences of opinion how to move that needle. Different philosophies with different means and methods. But why you feel the need to try and railroad the exploration beyond mere status quo voting is interesting.

There's more going on than red and blue. And like it or not, I'll be here to help remind people of that.

I don't want to discus things with you because you have a paranoid persecution complex. I have never tried to stop you in any way from posting your stuff, I've pointed out things I don't agree with and that has caused you to loose the plot and accuse me of trying to censure you just because I disagree with SOME of your ideas. You're also incredibly condescending and self righteous. Have a good one🌞

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10014666/kevin-mccarthy-republicans-house-speaker/

A white supremacist and a sexual assault enabler are the best the Republicans can provide for speaker candidates?

The really sad thing is that there are certain GQP members who think the 4 times indicted, sexual assaulter is the best candidate....

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Jack Smith is indicating he has compelling evidence of ill intent. Get ready and stop arguing about non nonsensical BS. The biggest story in the history of the US is going to drop soon.

Awww.....do we have to?

I just need one more of those Venn Diagram memes to clear my Bingo card....😪

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Playoff Beered said:

I am not beholden to any party, I do not vote in the US or in Canada either, I just like to follow politics. I fully get where you're coming from and would love to see a shake up, but I fear broadcasting the message that the system is rigged because every party is the same will only allow thee worst people to take power. So find another way to shake things up and I'll gladly play along.

Do you believe it isn't rigged?  or that the average person who is not either A:  Partisan or B: Pissed off isn't so entirely apathetic that they just don't care anymore?

Without broadcasting the message and shoving the truth down people's throats the system is literally treating the voting populace like a frog in a pot of water.  it will sit there and boil to death blissful and mindless until it's too late.

Without enforcing the proof and idea that while individually people in politics may mean well, but in a 2 party system beholden to corporate interests, lobbyists and the wealthiest cash handlers in the US/world will never EVER give up that power or golden spoon to help the masses.

We're at a tipping point now with how things are where intelligent, educated 2 income families can not afford basic rent let alone food and to be forced in to an endless cycle of consumer economy drudgery.

Without reinforcing the need for significant and meaningful change in the system and a furious shake up to  fix things.  Nothing will change.

Hell I will go one further and remind people I stated clearly that while Hillary might have been the better president, she represented the establishment and was more of the same poison for the US.  Trump was more the bullet to the face and the slap in the face people needed to wake up to see just how bad things realy are.

Well, by and large the US populace is now awake.  The damge is being done and they can see it.  they can see the gerrymandering, the endless cycle of wealth upflow and lost quality of life.  They can see the creeping racism and bigotry fueled by ignorance and partisanship.  

Now they have to actually act.  Allowing the same people who have been in power for 20-30 years or more to promise to fix it and give them a chance to continue doing the exact same thing is only going to make things worse for the average person.

Something HAS to give.  These parties are no different than each other in how they use and abuse the system to their own betterment.  It's sad but it's true.

1 hour ago, Playoff Beered said:

Doesn't seem to make a difference whether people are aware the game is rigged does it. Already had a fascist in the White House so I'm not sure how revealing the dark underbelly of the system makes much difference at this point.  We're already there. We've been there awhile, in fact.

Of course fascists are worse than neoliberals. But that's like choosing between being shot or being stabbed. Pick the weapon.

But unfortunately the logic there still doesn't really follow. 

And it's especially interesting that you say those are your fears/concerns considering you yourself stated you don't even vote!!

You care so much about preventing "the worst people from taking power" but don't even vote yourself?? For all that talking you do, that's what we get??  Dude...

Christ even I throw my vote at the person/party that claims to want to hurt us the least and I'm a god damn anarchist where anti-voting is like bread and butter.

No, it's not dangerous to understand how the US Political system and the halls of oligarchical power work.

On the contrary, that's the first step to actually changing it.

• ThereItIs 1

16 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

And it's especially interesting that you say those are your fears/concerns considering you yourself stated you don't even vote!!

You care so much about preventing "the worst people from taking power" but don't even vote yourself?? For all that talking you do, that's what we get??  Dude...

You're jumping to conclusions, I don't vote because I'm not a citizen of the US or Canada, so I am not allowed to vote.

And what's with the snark? All that talking that I do? really?

Edited by Playoff Beered

Former Dodgers star and Republican Steve Garvey enters U.S. Senate race

After nearly two decades of statewide Republican candidates being rejected by California’s left-leaning electorate, former Dodger All-Star Steve Garvey hopes to drag the GOP back toward political relevance.

Garvey announced Tuesday that he is running for the U.S. Senate seat held by the late Diane Feinstein , a gambit by a political newcomer banking on his baseball fame and affable demeanor to overcome the long odds Republicans face in this solidly Democratic state. At the very least, Garvey offers GOP voters a dash of celebrity excitement and his candidacy may raise the stakes for the top-shelf Democratic candidates.

Though he hasn't stepped on a baseball field as a player for more than three decades, Garvey may possess enough star appeal to consolidate California's GOP vote and lure enough admiring baseball fans to wind up on the November ballot. If so, only one of the three formidable Democrats currently in the running may survive past the March primary and emerge as the heavy favorite in the face-off against Garvey.

Garvey, 74, has been talking to party leaders and donors for months about a potential bid because of growing concerns about dysfunction in the nation's capital, and he said he decided to make it official after "a Giants fan came up to me and said, 'Garvey, I hate the Dodgers, but I'll vote for you.'"

"In those 20 years that I played for the Dodgers and the Padres, played up in cold Candlestick Park, I never played for Democrats or Republicans or independents," Garvey told The Times. "I played for all the fans, and I'm running for all the people."

His announcement came days after Feinstein, a trail-blazing Democrat who represented California in the Senate for more than three decades, was laid to rest after a somber memorial in her hometown of San Francisco. Gov.

appointed longtime labor leader, abortion-rights advocate and Democratic strategist Laphonza Butler to fill the vacancy.

Former Los Angeles Dodgers MVP Steve Garvey is running for the open U.S. Senate seat in California as a Republican.

Former Los Angeles Dodgers MVP Steve Garvey is running for the open U.S. Senate seat in California as a Republican. (Genaro Molina/Los Angeles Times)

It's unknown if Butler, 44, will run for the Senate seat in the 2024 election, which quickly became a heated contest among prominent California Democrats — Reps. Barbara Lee of Oakland, Katie Porter of Irvine and Adam Schiff of Burbank — after Feinstein announced earlier this year that she would not seek another term.

Garvey, who lives in Palm Desert, has flirted with politics for decades but has never mounted a campaign for public office. As he weighed a Senate bid this year, Garvey told supporters that he planned to focus his campaign on quality-of-life issues such as education, the cost of living, housing affordability, crime and homelessness — topics that could have bipartisan appeal.

"I think about families that get up each day and address all these issues," he said.

Garvey is arguably the most well-known Republican to mount a statewide campaign since Olympian Caitlyn Jenner, who ran for governor during the unsuccessful effort to recall Newsom in 2021, and former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, an international movie star who won office in the 2003 gubernatorial recall and was reelected in 2006.

more in the link

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-dodgers-star-republican-steve-120023724.html

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I hope you are correct but sadly I think the MAGAs will still follow him.

They can follow him to prison if they wish. The rest of the population is moving on from him/them.

It wouldn't surprise me if Jack Smith has had his phone tapped and has recordings of him attempting to move those documents in exchange for something.

• Vintage 2

32 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Here's the announcement from the DOJ.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edny/pr/congressman-george-santos-charged-conspiracy-wire-fraud-false-statements-0?s=09

Congressman George Santos Charged With Conspiracy, Wire Fraud, False Statements, Falsification of Records, Aggravated Identity Theft, and Credit Card Fraud

Santos Allegedly Filed Fraudulent Fundraising Reports with the FEC to Obtain Financial Support for His Campaign and Repeatedly Charged the Credit Cards of Campaign Contributors Without Authorization

CENTRAL ISLIP, NY – A 23-count superseding indictment was filed today in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York, charging George Anthony Devolder Santos, better known as “George Santos,” the United States Representative for the Third District of New York, with one count of conspiracy to commit offenses against the United States, two counts of wire fraud, two counts of making materially false statements to the Federal Election Commission (FEC), two counts of falsifying records submitted to obstruct the FEC, two counts of aggravated identity theft, and one count of access device fraud, in addition to the seven counts of wire fraud, three counts of money laundering, one count of theft of public funds, and two counts of making materially false statements to the United States House of Representatives that were charged in the original indictment.  Santos is due back in federal court in Central Islip on October 27, 2023.

Breon Peace, United States Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, Nicole M. Argentieri, Acting Assistant Attorney General of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division, and James Smith, Assistant Director-in-Charge, Federal Bureau of Investigation, New York Field Office (FBI), and Anne T. Donnelly, Nassau County District Attorney, announced the superseding indictment.

“As alleged, Santos is charged with stealing people’s identities and making charges on his own donors’ credit cards without their authorization, lying to the FEC and, by extension, the public about the financial state of his campaign.  Santos falsely inflated the campaign’s reported receipts with non-existent loans and contributions that were either fabricated or stolen” stated United States Attorney Peace.  “This Office will relentlessly pursue criminal charges against anyone who uses the electoral process as an opportunity to defraud the public and our government institutions.”

“Santos allegedly led multiple additional fraudulent criminal schemes, lying to the American public in the process.  The FBI is committed to upholding the laws of our electoral process.  Anyone who attempts to violate the law as part of a political campaign will face punishment in the criminal justice system,” stated FBI Assistant Director-in-Charge Smith.

“The defendant - a Congressman - allegedly stole the identities of family members and used the credit card information of political contributors to fraudulently inflate his campaign coffers,” stated District Attorney Donnelly.  “We thank our partners in the US Attorney’s Office and the FBI as we work together to root out public corruption on Long Island.”

As alleged in the superseding indictment, Santos, who was elected to Congress last November and sworn in as the U.S. Representative for New York’s Third Congressional District on January 7, 2023, engaged in two fraudulent schemes, in addition to the multiple fraudulent schemes alleged in the original indictment.

The Party Program Scheme

During the 2022 election cycle, Santos was a candidate for the United States House of Representatives in New York’s Third Congressional District.  Nancy Marks, who pleaded guilty on October 5, 2023 to related conduct, was the treasurer for his principal congressional campaign committee, Devolder-Santos for Congress.  During this election cycle, Santos and Marks conspired with one another to devise and execute a fraudulent scheme to obtain money for the campaign by submitting materially false reports to the FEC on behalf of the campaign, in which they inflated the campaign’s fundraising numbers for the purpose of misleading the FEC, a national party committee, and the public.

Specifically, the purpose of the scheme was to ensure that Santos and his campaign qualified for a program administered by the national party committee, pursuant to which the national party committee would provide financial and logistical support to Santos’s campaign.  To qualify for the program, Santos had to demonstrate, among other things, that his congressional campaign had raised at least $250,000 from third-party contributors in a single quarter.

To create the public appearance that his campaign had met that financial benchmark and was otherwise financially viable, Santos and Marks agreed to falsely report to the FEC that at least 10 family members of Santos and Marks had made significant financial contributions to the campaign, when Santos and Marks both knew that these individuals had neither made the reported contributions nor given authorization for their personal information to be included in such false public reports.  In addition, understanding that the national party committee relied on FEC fundraising data to evaluate candidates’ qualification for the program, Santos and Marks agreed to falsely report to the FEC that Santos had loaned the campaign significant sums of money, when, in fact, Santos had not made the reported loans and, at the time the loans were reported, did not have the funds necessary to make such loans.  These false reported loans included a $500,000 loan, when Santos had less than $8,000 in his personal and business bank accounts. 

Through the execution of this scheme, Santos and Marks ensured that Santos met the necessary financial benchmarks to qualify for the program administered by the national party committee.  As a result of qualifying for the program, the congressional campaign received financial support.

The Credit Card Fraud Scheme

In addition, between approximately December 2021 and August 2022, Santos devised and executed a fraudulent scheme to steal the personal identity and financial information of contributors to his campaign.  He then charged contributors’ credit cards repeatedly, without their authorization.  Because of these unauthorized transactions, funds were transferred to Santos’s campaign, to the campaigns of other candidates for elected office, and to his own bank account.  To conceal the true source of these funds and to circumvent campaign contribution limits, Santos falsely represented that some of the campaign contributions were made by other persons, such as his relatives or associates, rather than the true cardholders.  Santos did not have authorization to use their names in this way.

For example, in December 2021, one contributor (the “Contributor”) texted Santos and others to make a contribution to his campaign, providing billing information for two credit cards.  In the days after he received the billing information, Santos used the credit card information to make numerous contributions to his campaign and affiliated political committees in amounts exceeding applicable contribution limits, without the Contributor’s knowledge or authorization. To mask the true source of these contributions and thereby circumvent the applicable campaign contribution limits, Santos falsely identified the contributor for one of the charges as one of his relatives.  In the following months, Santos repeatedly charged the Contributor’s credit card without the Contributor’s knowledge or authorization, attempting to make at least $44,800 in charges and repeatedly concealing the true source of funds by falsely listing the source of funds as Santos himself, his relatives and other contributors.  On one occasion, Santos charged $12,000 to the Contributor’s credit card, ultimately transferring the vast majority of that money into his personal bank account.

The charges in the superseding indictment are allegations, and the defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.

The government’s case is being handled by the Office’s Public Integrity Section, the Long Island Criminal Division, and the Justice Department Criminal Division’s Public Integrity Section.  Assistant United States Attorneys Ryan Harris, Anthony Bagnuola, and Laura Zuckerwise, along with Trial Attorneys Jacob Steiner and John Taddei, are in charge of the prosecution with assistance from Paralegal Specialist Rachel Friedman.  Former Trial Attorney Jolee Porter of the Criminal Division’s Public Integrity Section also provided substantial contributions to the prosecution.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1