US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, 24K said:

12th amendment. 

It may be fine but let's not tempt the GOP into more lawsuits. 

Yeah.  I gave it more thought while waiting for your response. 

Even though it's legal for them to be from the same state, it's potentially stupid to have candidates from the same state.  You'd have to replace the electors with out of state electors and I'm not sure of the legality of that.

Use Dubya and Cheney as an example.  They were both Texans.  Cheney changed his primary residence from Texas to Wyoming to avoid any sticky scenarios.  Good thing for them that they did considering they won the election by only 1 electoral vote.

5 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Yeah.  I gave it more thought while waiting for your response. 

Even though it's legal for them to be from the same state, it's potentially stupid to have candidates from the same state.  You'd have to replace the electors with out of state electors and I'm not sure of the legality of that.

Use Dubya and Cheney as an example.  They were both Texans.  Cheney changed his primary residence from Texas to Wyoming to avoid any sticky scenarios.  Good thing for them that they did considering they won the election by only 1 electoral vote.

Two "west coast elites" might be a hard sell too, even if Harris is a centrist.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Wait since when is Newsome not a centrist? 

Just now, stawns said:

I think the smartest thing would be to pick a candidate from a "battleground" state so that will give them a bump.  Two people from a state that is in the bag in Cali is a dumb idea.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Some of the 'best candidates' for the VP job may not want it as they have their eyes on POTUS 2028.  I think that may be true of Newsome and possibly Shapiro. 

Of course fear of another Trump administration may change some minds (if they put service over ambition).

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

I think the smartest thing would be to pick a candidate from a "battleground" state so that will give them a bump.  Two people from a state that is in the bag in Cali is a dumb idea.

I think so too.  I think it'll be whitmer or shapiro

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think so too.  I think it'll be whitmer or shapiro

I doubt US can handle a full female ticket. Shapiro is by far the best choice followed by Kelly.

1 minute ago, 24K said:

I doubt US can handle a full female ticket. Shapiro is by far the best choice followed by Kelly.

Kelly would be a good pick.  Everyone loves astronauts.

Edited by Sabrefan1
typo

3 minutes ago, 24K said:

I think 40% of America can't handle that, but that 40% are beyond hopeless anyway.  If both women are capable and qualified, I don't think there'd be an issue 

Just now, bishopshodan said:

I bet somewhere Trump is holding his diet coke with two hands...and they are shaking.

this is not what he wanted.

Yep, the only person Trump can win against is Biden. 

Without Biden, Trump is in big trouble. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, the destroyer of worlds said:

Man, if only Biden had chose not to seek re-election in the first place. 

Dem and US would he on a way better path had his ego didn't take over. 

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think 40% of America can't handle that, but that 40% are beyond hopeless anyway.  If both women are capable and qualified, I don't think there'd be an issue 

40% is a lot. Way more than enough to swing the election. Remember we are dealing with the electoral college here not popular vote. 

Edited by 24K

Just now, bishopshodan said:

I bet somewhere Trump is holding his diet coke with two hands...and they are shaking.

this is not what he wanted.

I think he preferred Biden, but I don't think he's too worried over Kamala.

However, unless he can get her off balance early on in a debate, I think she's going to wipe the floor with him when they meet.  She's a trained litigator.

If she wins the presidency, it will be because of her debate performance(s).

1 minute ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Not everyone

Qhu2YM.gif

Well, to be fair . 

That guy would have loved Buzz if he would have just admitted that the moon landing was fake!

1 minute ago, 24K said:

40% is a lot. Way more than enough to swing the election. Remember we are dealing with the electoral college here not popular vote. 

They're never going to get that 40% under any circumstances.  Whitmer is popular in Michigan and understands the people in that part of the world.

Shapiro does as well, which is why I think it'll be one of them.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

However, unless he can get her off balance early on in a debate, I think she's going to wipe the floor with him when they meet.  She's a trained litigator.

Well out of all the replacement Kamala is probably the best outcome for Trump. 

Still I think there is a major gap between Biden and Harris for Trump's fortune.

6 minutes ago, 24K said:

So, are you saying that the US is, in essence, a misogynist nation?

As @stawns said, I think there is the Republican base, (who wouldn't vote for the second coming of JFK or FDR) and a small percentage of dinosaurs who don't believe a woman is capable of being POTUS, but the majority of voters will see no issue with two women on a Presidential ticket.

That being said, I think the Dems probably hedge their bets and go with someone like Shapiro.

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I think he's such a hard core misogynist, that he's going to automatically dismiss her at every turn.  I feel like she will trigger him and bring out the real ugliness that hits hard at middle class Americans families.

The tables are about to be turned and the campaign is about to be about trump