US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Bob Long said:

what did the cake say? congratulations and f-off? 

I can't even remember. I remember it being white. It might not have had anything on it which was probably for the better. I almost decided not to show up last day.

It was a really weird time in my life and certainly there's a whole story to go with it that I'd prefer not to delve in too deep on here. I did find out later that I was the 1st of many layoffs of that place though.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I can't even remember. I remember it being white. It might not have had anything on it which was probably for the better. I almost decided not to show up last day.

It was a really weird time in my life and certainly there's a whole story to go with it that I'd prefer not to delve in too deep on here. I did find out later that I was the 1st of many layoffs of that place though.

sorry shouldn't joke about such things, but I had to know what was on the cake. Yeah, I can see that being awkward to attend and to leave. 

• Like 1

His Orangeness now thinks Hezbollah is "very smart".:picard:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/hamas-hezbollah-israel-trump-1.6994299

Spoiler

Trump criticizes Netanyahu over Hamas attack, calls Hezbollah 'smart'

Israel, White House and Republican opponents condemn formerpresident's comments

Thomson Reuters · Posted: Oct 12, 2023 2:05 PM PDT | Last Updated: 1 hour ago

Israel and the White House on Thursday condemned remarks by former U.S. president Donald Trump in which he praised the Iran-backed militant group Hezbollah and criticized Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over a deadly attack by Palestinian Hamas militants.

Trump is the current frontrunner to become the Republican Party's 2024 presidential nominee.

In a speech in Florida Wednesday, he called the Lebanese Hezbollah group, a sworn enemy of Israel, "very smart," and accused Netanyahu of being "not prepared" for the Hamas attack, which also killed 22 Americans.

Israeli Communications Minister Shlomo Karhi said Trump's comments to supporters and in a television interview on Wednesday night showed he could not be relied on.

It is "shameful that a man like that, a former U.S. president, abets propaganda and disseminates things that wound the spirit of Israel's fighters and its citizens," Karhi told Israel's Channel 13.

White House deputy press secretary Andrew Bates called Trump's comments "dangerous and unhinged."

"It's completely lost on us why any American would ever praise an Iran-backed terrorist organization as 'smart,' " Bates said.

Republican opponents critical

Democratic U.S. President Joe Biden has condemned the Hamas attack as "an act of sheer evil" and declared his unwavering support for Israel.

"This is a time for all of us to stand shoulder to shoulder with Israel against 'unadulterated evil,'" Bates said on Thursday. "That's what the president is doing."

Several of Trump's opponents in the Republican contest also criticized the former president.

"It is absurd that anyone, much less someone running for President, would choose now to attack our friend and ally, Israel, much less praise Hezbollah terrorists as 'very smart,' " Florida Governor Ron DeSantis wrote on X, formerly called Twitter.

Trump's former vice-president, Mike Pence, another 2024 rival, said in New Hampshire: "This is no time for any former president or any other American leader to be sending any message other than America stands with Israel."

Asa Hutchinson, a former Arkansas governor and a Republican 2024 candidate, said on X that Trump was "out of his mind if he thinks that any candidate for President of the United States should praise the terrorists attacking one of our most important allies."

Edited by Chickenspear
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Hide contents

Israel and the White House on Thursday condemned remarks by former U.S. president Donald Trump in which he praised the Iran-backed militant group Hezbollah and criticized Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over a deadly attack by Palestinian Hamas militants.

Trump is the current frontrunner to become the Republican Party's 2024 presidential nominee.

In a speech in Florida Wednesday, he called the Lebanese Hezbollah group, a sworn enemy of Israel, "very smart," and accused Netanyahu of being "not prepared" for the Hamas attack, which also killed 22 Americans.

Israeli Communications Minister Shlomo Karhi said Trump's comments to supporters and in a television interview on Wednesday night showed he could not be relied on.

It is "shameful that a man like that, a former U.S. president, abets propaganda and disseminates things that wound the spirit of Israel's fighters and its citizens," Karhi told Israel's Channel 13.

White House deputy press secretary Andrew Bates called Trump's comments "dangerous and unhinged."

"It's completely lost on us why any American would ever praise an Iran-backed terrorist organization as 'smart,' " Bates said.

Democratic U.S. President Joe Biden has condemned the Hamas attack as "an act of sheer evil" and declared his unwavering support for Israel.

"This is a time for all of us to stand shoulder to shoulder with Israel against 'unadulterated evil,'" Bates said on Thursday. "That's what the president is doing."

Several of Trump's opponents in the Republican contest also criticized the former president.

"It is absurd that anyone, much less someone running for President, would choose now to attack our friend and ally, Israel, much less praise Hezbollah terrorists as 'very smart,' " Florida Governor Ron DeSantis wrote on X, formerly called Twitter.

Trump's former vice-president, Mike Pence, another 2024 rival, said in New Hampshire: "This is no time for any former president or any other American leader to be sending any message other than America stands with Israel."

Asa Hutchinson, a former Arkansas governor and a Republican 2024 candidate, said on X that Trump was "out of his mind if he thinks that any candidate for President of the United States should praise the terrorists attacking one of our most important allies."

well if you weren't sure that Trump was owned by Putin before, this should seal it. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

Reveal hidden contents

To play devils advocate, it is not good to just be ignorant and think your enemies are dumb dumbs and you are the only smart one in the room. 

Underestimating your opponent ain't ever a good idea as the Oilers have learned yesterday. So saying the enemy is smart at least let you overestimate their capabilities which is never a bad thing when it comes to these global issues. 

That said, Trump obviously ain't thinking on that deep of a level. 

Edited by 24K
  • Cheers 1

House Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.) on Thursday dropped out of the race for Speaker, just one day after he won the Republican nomination for the role.

Scalise narrowly prevailed in a secret ballot internal GOP election on Wednesday, but it was clear almost immediately that he would struggle to get the 217 votes needed on the House floor.

Momentum swung further against him, and as Thursday progressed an increasing number of Republicans declared they would not cast their votes for him.

It’s not clear where the fractured Republican conference will go next, as the House closes in on 10 days without an elected Speaker.

“It’s been quite a journey. And there’s still a long way to go. I just share with my colleagues that I’m withdrawing my name as a candidate for the speaker designee,” Scalise said Thursday night.

He added, “This country is counting on us to come back together. This House of Representatives needs a Speaker and we need to open up the house again. But clearly, not everybody is there. And there’s still schisms that have to get resolved.”

Those schisms were on full display this week.

Scalise won the Republican nomination over Judiciary Committee Chair Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) by a vote of 113-99. Jordan threw his support to Scalise but many of his supporters didn’t follow.

Republican leaders held back from calling a vote on the House floor as the conference held several multi-hour, closed-door meetings but left each one reporting little progress.

At the same time, the U.S. is approaching another government shutdown deadline and war has broken out in Israel.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4253448-steve-scalise-drops-out-speakers-race/

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, 24K said:

To play devils advocate, it is not good to just be ignorant and think your enemies are dumb dumbs and you are the only smart one in the room. 

Underestimating your opponent ain't ever a good idea as the Oilers have learned yesterday. So saying the enemy is smart at least let you overestimate the their capabilities which is never a bad thing when it comes to these global issues. 

That said, Trump obviously ain't thinking on that deep of a level. 

I don't disagree that you have to respect your opponent's capabilities, but someone running for US public office, (while also in a shitstorm of federal legal troubles), calling a terrorist organization "very smart", is another level of what the fuck. 

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

I don't disagree that you have to respect your opponent's capabilities, but someone running for US public office, (while also in a shitstorm of federal legal troubles), calling a terrorist organization "very smart", is another level of what the fuck. 

Yeah it is political suicide when running for office at this moment for that comment.

But in general we should not laugh and cindemn these kind of comments about Xi, Kim, Putin or even Hazzbolah cause they are clearly doing something right to stay in power and accumulate the influence they have on the global stage. 

Doing so is to our detriment. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

What happens in the US if the GOP can't elect a speaker? Does your constitution even cover that? Does Pelosi get her office back?

They will be in limbo with nothing getting done. There are no provisions. 

P.s. I hate this combining post function. 

Edited by 24K

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

What happens in the US if the GOP can't elect a speaker? Does your constitution even cover that? Does Pelosi get her office back?

It's like the Energizer Bunny.  They just keep going and going.

Honestly, if it went too far, the leadership would go all Catholic Church on the members.  Lock the doors, and threaten arrest by the Capitol Police and Sergent-at-arms if anyone attempts to leave before a successful vote.

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, 24K said:

They will be in limbo with nothing getting done. There are no provisions.

No Constitutional provision was needed.  They have a Sergeant at Arms for a reason.  Eventually House leadership will sequester everyone if it goes too long.

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe those who wrote the rules didn’t foresee the divide that would occur? 

Of course they did.  George Washington himself warned the country about it in his final address to the nation.

People think because we can operate a cell phone that we are so superior in intelligence to our forefathers.  Those guys were certifiable geniuses.  I would pit them against anyone in government today.  The forefathers would wipe the floor with them.

The US Constitution was based on other past documents written by other historical figures and geniuses, the Magna Carta of 1215 chief among them.

Edited by Sabrefan1
added: "If it goes too long"
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm pretty sure they keep going until they actually vote a Speaker.  McCarthy's 15 vote marathon isn't even close to the record.  It took 133 votes between Dec 3, 1855 and Feb 2, 1856 to elect a Speaker.  The Congress just before the Civil War took fewer votes, but a similar amount of time.  Posted this before.

https://history.house.gov/People/Office/Speakers-Multiple-Ballots/

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Or that a party would eat itself 

That happened once before. 

All that accomplished was, the Southern Democrats became Republicans, and a bunch of Republicans eventually became Democrats.

3 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

I'm pretty sure they keep going until they actually vote a Speaker.  McCarthy's 15 vote marathon isn't even close to the record.  It took 133 votes between Dec 3, 1855 and Feb 2, 1856 to elect a Speaker.  The Congress just before the Civil War took fewer votes, but a similar amount of time.  Posted this before.

https://history.house.gov/People/Office/Speakers-Multiple-Ballots/

Exactly.  For entertainment value, I am sincerely hoping that it will go far and long enough that they sequester.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

That happened once before. 

All that accomplished was, the Southern Democrats became Republicans, and a bunch of Republicans eventually became Democrats.

Exactly.  For entertainment value, I am sincerely hoping that it will go far and long enough that they sequester.

Well, they kinda have to get their act together.  Clocks ticking on the government funding resolution expires in about a month.

• Cheers 1

I may be wrong but it would only take 6 to 10 sane Republicans to approach the Dem's and negotiate a path forward. If they can put forward a moderate Republican to be the speaker of the house that the Dem's would be willing to support they could change a lot of things in the house that make it unworkable.

Right now the house is being held hostage by the extreme right.

Sure; there are a lot of things they disagree on but there are also many things that bipartisan support could get passed and start to get the house functioning again. One big one would be to change the number of votes it would take to have a vote to remove the speaker of the house. This would effectively decapitate the most radical element in the Republican party and set the path for bipartisan discussions on the business at hand.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I may be wrong but it would only take 6 to 10 sane Republicans to approach the Dem's and negotiate a path forward. If they can put forward a moderate Republican to be the speaker of the house that the Dem's would be willing to support they could change a lot of things in the house that make it unworkable.

Right now the house is being held hostage by the extreme right.

Sure; there are a lot of things they disagree on but there are also many things that bipartisan support could get passed and start to get the house functioning again. One big one would be to change the number of votes it would take to have a vote to remove the speaker of the house. This would effectively decapitate the most radical element in the Republican party and set the path for bipartisan discussions on the business at hand.

The Republicans would end up ceding a bit of their power to the Democrats in negotiating for their help.  They would be desperate indeed if it went that far.