US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

All I can say is "Holy Fuck" and god help the US 'cause nobody else is going to. My flabber is gasted and frankly I feel as though I just need to go out and dig a bunker that has no WIFI access or electricity or link to the bloody insanity going on in the country below our Southern border. I would never have believed something like this would happen in my lifetime...and frankly (again) my faith in US citizens and my family who lives in the US is severely tested today. I'll never understand turning on one of your own when the stakes are so bloody high. Taking myself out of this thread and out of the conversation.

Im kinda glad my wife and i already had to cancel our trip to seattle in September. Im really worried about the violence that is all but inevitable throughout the country. Which is sad because i was really hoping to catch a canuck game in vegas at some point in the next few years.

• Huggy Bear 1

33 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Is there a reason you didn't mention the more recent job?

Because in Biden's case he has a lifetime of experience before the ribbon cutting?  

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Deputy DA

Asst DA

DA

AG

Senator

VP

In what world isn't she qualified?

'murica. 

She's certainly qualified, and you'd think progressives would be all over this... but alas, they probably won't be, because she was a "cop" and Palestine stuff. 

13 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

He's great.

I kinda hope for a Pete/ Kamala ballot.

A gay man and a black women.

Oh the US right wing would go bonkers.

Pete's a smart dude, he'd be a great VP. 

I'm impressed that Joe did the right thing and didn't put his ego first. I hope it inspires someone up here on our side of the border. 

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, Thats a small body said:

Im kinda glad my wife and i already had to cancel our trip to seattle in September. Im really worried about the violence that is all but inevitable throughout the country. Which is sad because i was really hoping to catch a canuck game in vegas at some point in the next few years.

dunno, are we really there yet? Seattle is a pretty chill city, my favourite US one along with Austin. I wouldn't be concerned about going there. 

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Pete's a smart dude, he'd be a great VP. 

I'm impressed that Joe did the right thing and didn't put his ego first. I hope it inspires someone up here on our side of the border. 

If Pete runs as VP the jokes will immediately be "so our 2nd lady VP"

From the party that has said tone down the rhetoric and divisiveness

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

If Pete runs as VP the jokes will immediately be "so our 2nd lady VP"

From the party that has said tone down the rhetoric and divisiveness

hopefully that would light a fire under the US progressives to go fight for him, and vote. 

The U40s can shift this thing if they want to. 

1 hour ago, 24K said:

Lol a monkey can do that for the Dems. Not really substantial experience. 

Whats the worry about experience?  The amount of experience is one reason why Hillary lost her bid.  She was painted as a corrupt Washington career politician, one of the established elites......and Trump was the outsider, with zero experience, so he wasn't supposedly corrupted by the deep state or lobbyists, or the traditional way of doing things.

In fact I'd predict that Democrats would win in a landslide if somehow they could get either George Clooney or Jon Stewart to run.  Being outside the "experienced" political elite is what is popular right now. 

But I'm sure the RW media will be all over her lack of experience....while praising Trump and Vance, neither of who have or had experience before either.

• ThereItIs 1

I doubt very much that Pete B. will be picked. Much more likely to see someone that has been selected to head an important portfolio such as Jim Himes (ranking member of the House Intelligence committee) another one to consider is Brendan Boyle (Ranking member of the House budget committee) IMO, pick will be a white male with experience in politics and a good track record of winning in a critical swing state.

7 minutes ago, bolt said:

"Brain cells"

Play the ENTIRE clip.

It's always opinion columns and sound bites from them/their camp.  But the moment you play the ENTIRE statement they wilt.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, bolt said:

"Brain cells"

As soon as I heard that I immediately thought she must have been talking to school kids.   So I googled.  Turns out I was pretty close:

Right-wing pundits and commentators are trying to send viral a soundbite of Vice President Kamala Harris responding to a request for a “layman’s terms” explanation to accuse her of having “kindergarten-level insight” into the violent conflict taking place in Ukraine.

On the podcast The Morning Hustle, the vice president was asked to explain the conflict in Ukraine in a way that listeners without extensive knowledge of the news would understand. Harris said Russia’s unilateral, unprovoked invasion of Ukraine constituted a violation of Ukraine’s sovereignty, and she explained some of the common terminology listeners might hear in coverage of the conflict. Harris also explained that sanctions were being put in place by the American government in an effort to levy consequences on Russia for the decision to invade an independent nation.

• ThereItIs 2

Kamala has to stop the drain of black and hispanic voters to the GOP. Maybe she can do that in a debate. Who she picks as a VP won't be a big deal. It will come down to Trump vs Harris and who has the plan to benefit the middle class who are hurting. 

7 minutes ago, bolt said:

"Brain cells"

Dude she was a District Attorney, an Attorney General....

She sounds here like she is trying to simplify and dumb it down for the US people. Remember , for example, Trumps speeches are at about a grade 6 level

• Cheers 1