US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

'A big question about experience': Red flag raised over Vance's ability to serve as VP

https://www.rawstory.com/jd-vance-inexperience/

According to the Politico report, "By historic standards, Vance has shockingly little [experience]. No experience balancing a state budget, overseeing disaster response, or wrestling with the legal and moral dimensions of the death penalty.

He hasn’t commanded a state National Guard or managed a federal agency or Cabinet office. He’s less than a third into his first six-year Senate term."

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They will use the 25th amendment to get rid of Biden for good.  Why?

Wisconsin doesn't allow ballot withdrawal except death.  Nevada no changes after June unless death, declared insane/mentally incompetent.  States like South Carolina don't allow withdrawal 4 political reasons.  Unless Republicans vote 25th amendment a new nominee won't be in the election.

So, basically there are several states that can't take Biden off the ballot and change it to Kamala or anyone else.  Unless Biden is deemed mentally incompetent or dies.  This means they have to 25th amendment Biden and Kamala has to take over as President...

Can you verify if this is accurate? @Sabrefan1

Good timing on my login.  My ears were ringing...lol

As far as I know, you can't take already nominated candidates off of some state ballots.  Biden had yet to be officially nominated.  Nominations only become official in the August DNC convention.

We're in fairly uncharted territory here so I'm reaching back in my memory to civics classes I took a long time ago.

Edited by Sabrefan1
sentence structure
  • Cheers 1

Just now, The Arrogant Worms said:

'A big question about experience': Red flag raised over Vance's ability to serve as VP

https://www.rawstory.com/jd-vance-inexperience/

According to the Politico report, "By historic standards, Vance has shockingly little [experience]. No experience balancing a state budget, overseeing disaster response, or wrestling with the legal and moral dimensions of the death penalty.

He hasn’t commanded a state National Guard or managed a federal agency or Cabinet office. He’s less than a third into his first six-year Senate term."

The same exact thing was said about Obama.

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They will use the 25th amendment to get rid of Biden for good.  Why?

Wisconsin doesn't allow ballot withdrawal except death.  Nevada no changes after June unless death, declared insane/mentally incompetent.  States like South Carolina don't allow withdrawal 4 political reasons.  Unless Republicans vote 25th amendment a new nominee won't be in the election.

So, basically there are several states that can't take Biden off the ballot and change it to Kamala or anyone else.  Unless Biden is deemed mentally incompetent or dies.  This means they have to 25th amendment Biden and Kamala has to take over as President...

Can you verify if this is accurate? @Sabrefan1

Forbes is saying what I've seen elsewhere:

“Before the media gets rolling, let me be clear: The Democratic nominee for president will be on all 50 state ballots,” Marc Elias, a voting rights attorney who has been aligned with the Democratic Party, wrote on X on Sunday after Biden dropped out. “There is no basis for any legal challenge. Period.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2024/07/21/biden-drops-out-gop-threatens-to-sue-over-ballot-change-heres-why-its-unlikely-to-succeed/

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Lots to like about Pritzker, but Illinois is a pretty safe Blue State. It makes more sense to pick someone from a battleground state, which is why Shapiro, Kelly or Whitmer seem to be the most likely choices....

I think Pritzker might run in 2028 election, time will tell I guess.

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Kamala on the South Lawn, preparing to take over as President soon?

Dude stop with your conspiracy theories.

Biden has covid. These ribbon cutting liek event would logically fall to the VP to conduct. 

• Thanks 1

Well, this is alot more simple than everyone here is thinking.

I have some Republican friends........their argument was Biden was too old

And stated to me, that if anyone young, including Harris were to step in

they will vote Dem to get rid of Trump

The bottom line is, they admit just how dangerous Trump is

It is my understanding that all Dems will vote Dem, and swing voters that were puking over

which one they would vote for are now moving to the left.

I think the Dems will win!

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

17 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Forbes is saying what I've seen elsewhere:

“Before the media gets rolling, let me be clear: The Democratic nominee for president will be on all 50 state ballots,” Marc Elias, a voting rights attorney who has been aligned with the Democratic Party, wrote on X on Sunday after Biden dropped out. “There is no basis for any legal challenge. Period.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2024/07/21/biden-drops-out-gop-threatens-to-sue-over-ballot-change-heres-why-its-unlikely-to-succeed/

Same thing with MSNBC.  I decided to Google it to be sure that I was correct.

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opinion/biden-replacement-ballot-access-democrats-rcna162815

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm not sure what you are saying here.

You thinkTrump will dominate at the same time many will not vote for him?

Anyway, again. Are you saying that there is nobody that can beat Trump? your first post seemed like you were saying Biden was the Dems only hope...

Don’t waste your time.  Just another Trump supporter.  Doesn’t really bring any useful info.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, 24K said:

Dude stop with your conspiracy theories.

Biden has covid. These ribbon cutting liek event would logically fall to the VP to conduct. 

The Democrats doing the switcheroo on Biden was supposedly a conspiracy theory.  I remember you laughed at me when I said it would happen way back in February...

49 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Until Boomers die off, a female president may be hard to achieve.

The boomers are no longer in the electoral majority so that blows that theory. The youngest boomers are around 64, so there are a lot more voters in the 18-63 demographic than the 64-78 year old boomers. Besides, most boomers grew up in a world where issues of race and gender were front and centre, when women stood up and said they weren't appendages of a man anymore and when civil rights were fought for and won, however temporarily. I'd guess that most boomers would be fine with a woman president and a gay vice president. It's those men in the 25-44 bracket that have more electoral clout these days.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Democrats doing the switcheroo on Biden was supposedly a conspiracy theory.  I remember you laughed at me when I said it would happen way back in February...

You've got to count all the prophecies made to determine a success rate.  😄

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

It was until Biden's debate which fundamentally changed the calculus. There was no far reaching plot to oust Biden till that debate. 

Tony G:  "It was Mike Gillis that caused this" 🥸

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

The boomers are no longer in the electoral majority so that blows that theory. The youngest boomers are around 64, so there are a lot more voters in the 18-63 demographic than the 64-78 year old boomers. Besides, most boomers grew up in a world where issues of race and gender were front and centre, when women stood up and said they weren't appendages of a man anymore and when civil rights were fought for and won, however temporarily. I'd guess that most boomers would be fine with a woman president and a gay vice president. It's those men in the 25-44 bracket that have more electoral clout these days.

Yeah, gen x and older millennial are to blame for Trump. Boomers are actually more against Trump than supporting him.