US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

11 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The Republicans would end up ceding a bit of their power to the Democrats in negotiating for their help.  They would be desperate indeed if it went that far.

11 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The Republicans would end up ceding a bit of their power to the Democrats in negotiating for their help.  They would be desperate indeed if it went that far.

Unfortunately that is probably the only way out of this as I don't think the Republicans can find any speaker that they can agree on especially if the extreme right does not get there way. May not happen till closer to the funding deadline and may not happen at all. All this turmoil is going to be laid directly on the Republican laps if another shut down happens

3 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

His Orangeness now thinks Hezbollah is "very smart".:picard:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/hamas-hezbollah-israel-trump-1.6994299

Reveal hidden contents

Trump criticizes Netanyahu over Hamas attack, calls Hezbollah 'smart'

Israel, White House and Republican opponents condemn formerpresident's comments

Thomson Reuters · Posted: Oct 12, 2023 2:05 PM PDT | Last Updated: 1 hour ago

Israel and the White House on Thursday condemned remarks by former U.S. president Donald Trump in which he praised the Iran-backed militant group Hezbollah and criticized Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over a deadly attack by Palestinian Hamas militants.

Trump is the current frontrunner to become the Republican Party's 2024 presidential nominee.

In a speech in Florida Wednesday, he called the Lebanese Hezbollah group, a sworn enemy of Israel, "very smart," and accused Netanyahu of being "not prepared" for the Hamas attack, which also killed 22 Americans.

Israeli Communications Minister Shlomo Karhi said Trump's comments to supporters and in a television interview on Wednesday night showed he could not be relied on.

It is "shameful that a man like that, a former U.S. president, abets propaganda and disseminates things that wound the spirit of Israel's fighters and its citizens," Karhi told Israel's Channel 13.

White House deputy press secretary Andrew Bates called Trump's comments "dangerous and unhinged."

"It's completely lost on us why any American would ever praise an Iran-backed terrorist organization as 'smart,' " Bates said.

Republican opponents critical

Democratic U.S. President Joe Biden has condemned the Hamas attack as "an act of sheer evil" and declared his unwavering support for Israel.

"This is a time for all of us to stand shoulder to shoulder with Israel against 'unadulterated evil,'" Bates said on Thursday. "That's what the president is doing."

Several of Trump's opponents in the Republican contest also criticized the former president.

"It is absurd that anyone, much less someone running for President, would choose now to attack our friend and ally, Israel, much less praise Hezbollah terrorists as 'very smart,' " Florida Governor Ron DeSantis wrote on X, formerly called Twitter.

Trump's former vice-president, Mike Pence, another 2024 rival, said in New Hampshire: "This is no time for any former president or any other American leader to be sending any message other than America stands with Israel."

Asa Hutchinson, a former Arkansas governor and a Republican 2024 candidate, said on X that Trump was "out of his mind if he thinks that any candidate for President of the United States should praise the terrorists attacking one of our most important allies."

Just like Hitler was good painter, Mussolini played violin quite well and Mao wrote some quality poetry. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Unfortunately that is probably the only way out of this as I don't think the Republicans can find any speaker that they can agree on especially if the extreme right does not get there way. May not happen till closer to the funding deadline and may not happen at all. All this turmoil is going to be laid directly on the Republican laps if another shut down happens

As long as it keeps us from funding foreign wars that we can't afford to fund, I'm fine if all they end up voting on is funding extensions until the next Congress is seated.

However, they'll eventually get their crap together and make some backroom deals I'd imagine.

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

As long as it keeps us from funding foreign wars that we can't afford to fund, I'm fine if all they end up voting on is funding extensions until the next Congress is seated.

However, they'll eventually get their crap together and make some backroom deals I'd imagine.

I would write that sentence as 'As long as it keeps us funding foreign wars that we can't afford not to fund' but I can agree with the hope that they eventually get their crap together.    

1 hour ago, 24K said:

Lol back to square 1. 

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

What happens in the US if the GOP can't elect a speaker? Does your constitution even cover that? Does Pelosi get her office back?

Here's the thing...

If the shoe was on the other foot, they'd be calling this "genius" or "4D chess" on the part of the GQP....

Imagine a scenario where McCarthy ends up back in the Speaker's Office....the Dems will have lost nothing, while at the same time, the Repugs look like a Carnival Sideshow....

'

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Here's the thing...

If the shoe was on the other foot, they'd be calling this "genius" or "4D chess" on the part of the GQP....

Imagine a scenario where McCarthy ends up back in the Speaker's Office....the Dems will have lost nothing, while at the same time, the Repugs look like a Carnival Sideshow....

'

They already looked like a carnival sideshow amd shot themselves in the foot when it took 15 votes for McCarthy.   This whole debacle, they shot themselves in the other foot.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I may be wrong but it would only take 6 to 10 sane Republicans to approach the Dem's and negotiate a path forward. If they can put forward a moderate Republican to be the speaker of the house that the Dem's would be willing to support they could change a lot of things in the house that make it unworkable.

Right now the house is being held hostage by the extreme right.

Sure; there are a lot of things they disagree on but there are also many things that bipartisan support could get passed and start to get the house functioning again. One big one would be to change the number of votes it would take to have a vote to remove the speaker of the house. This would effectively decapitate the most radical element in the Republican party and set the path for bipartisan discussions on the business at hand.

That's the sensible outcome.  It really depends if there's enough Republicans ready to take some serious heat from their colleagues for denazifying their party.  It has to happen sooner or later for the good of the country.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

It's like the Energizer Bunny.  They just keep going and going.

Honestly, if it went too far, the leadership would go all Catholic Church on the members.  Lock the doors, and threaten arrest by the Capitol Police and Sergent-at-arms if anyone attempts to leave before a successful vote.

Like penance stuff or priest/choir boy stuff? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

Here's the thing...

'

I guess it always comes back to the same thing - will people vote them out?

10 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Jim Jordan would keep it a secret if that were the case.

I meant when they elect a pope. They get locked up until they get the job done.

Sooo....should we be watching for white smoke coming out of Congress? :classic_unsure:

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Gurn said:

If Drumpf could become the Speaker, the Dems should nominate Liz Cheney.

Cheney is still a Republican.  In the current hierarchy of virtue signalling in an attempt for votes, melanin outranks vaginas so, like the last time, the Democrats will just keep voting for the black guy who took Pelosi's place in the leadership spot.

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Cheers 1

Bipartisan talk grows as GOP fails to find a speaker

Spoiler

Lawmakers in both parties are expressing growing openness, both in public and in private, to a bipartisan deal to elect a House speaker as Republicans are continually thwarted in their efforts to do it alone.

Why it matters: With House Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.) withdrawing despite winning his party’s nomination, some Republicans are concerned nobody can win the job with just GOP votes.

What they're saying: "There's a sentiment building around [a bipartisan deal] among Democrats and Republicans," Rep. Dan Kildee (D-Mich.), a member of Democratic leadership who represents a swing district, told Axios.

• "We're open to anything that's reasonable," said Rep. Maria Salazar (R-Fla.), a member of the moderate Republican Governance Group. "Bipartisanship is not a sin."
  • Rep. Don Bacon (R-Neb.), a perennial bipartisan dealmaker, said "at this point, there are enough Republican and Democrats saying we've got to get this fixed." 
  • Rep. Greg Landsman (D-Ohio) said, as the situation devolves, he sees Republicans "absolutely" getting more open to a deal: "Yes, I mean you're seeing that."

State of play: With Scalise out of the running, all eyes now turn to Judiciary Committee Chair Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), a co-founder of the right-wing Freedom Caucus.

• But some of Jordan's GOP colleagues are already predicting he'll suffer the same fate as Scalise. "I think he's gonna have a math problem as well," said Mike Garcia (R-Calif.).
  • Rep. Greg Murphy (R-N.C.) said "it's going to be hard" for Jordan to win.

What we're hearing: A bipartisan group of roughly ten House lawmakers is quietly holding "very" serious discussions, a moderate Republican involved in the discussions told Axios on the condition of anonymity.

• "The question is who gets you to the largest minority of the majority," the GOP lawmaker said. "Is it Don Bacon, who gets 20 [GOP] votes and 200 Democrats? Is it French Hill who gets 100 votes from Republicans? And the fewer Republicans, the more dangerous this is – not just politically, but structurally."
  • Another question, the Republican said, is how many speaker candidates need to fail before people soften on the idea: "Kevin, Steve, Jordan, Emmer … how many losses do you have to have to make that an acceptable outcome?"

Between the lines: Congress is unfamiliar with bipartisan coalition governments in the vein of state legislatures and foreign governments – but the House had also never voted to oust a speaker until last Tuesday.

• "We are setting precedent every day," said the moderate Republican. "Whatever solution we have will be unprecedented."
  • Democrats say their position hasn't changed from before former Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) was ousted – they want "institutional reforms, rules changes that allow for bipartisan votes ... not every couple months but every day," said Landsman.

Reality check: Cross-party tensions are still raw after Democrats voted uniformly to remove McCarthy.

• "There was no sense of [bipartisanship] when it was the motion to vacate a week and a half ago," said Rep. Blake Moore (R-Utah), "so I don't think anything is credible that could be realistic at the moment."
  • Rep. Nick LaLota (R-N.Y.) expressed skepticism as well: "Has a Democrat come out and said they would support a Republican nominee?" 

The bottom line: Just before Scalise dropped out, Bacon said of Republicans, "At some point we're going to be exasperated [and say], 'Okay, this is not working.'"

• Asked after Scalise announced if lawmakers are getting closer to that point, he told Axios: "I think we are ... It's going to be a sort of consensus opinion between a group of us."
  • "If this goes on forever, we've got to get the country back going," said Rep. Dan Newhouse (R-Wash.).

https://reddit.com/r/politics/s/8rlnrfkDR2

• ThereItIs 2

28 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

🤣

I don't hate Trump, but this makes me both laugh and shake my head.

Honestly though, I have to admit I'm super curious on what he would/will do with a 2nd term.  Heads will roll down Pennsylvania Ave. in the first year.  That could be entertaining.

For the sake of my state though, I hope Schumer is still majority leader in the Senate the entire 4 years so he can help mitigate Trump's revenge on NY.

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I don't hate Trump, but this makes me both laugh and shake my head.

Honestly though, I have to admit I'm super curious on what he would/will do with a 2nd term.  Heads will roll down Pennsylvania Ave. in the first year.  That could be entertaining.

For the sake of my state though, I hope Schumer is still majority leader in the Senate the entire 4 years so he can help mitigate Trump's revenge on NY.

it wouldn't be funny at all, a lot of actual people would get hurt. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

it wouldn't be funny at all, a lot of actual people would get hurt. 

The only people that I ever worry about getting hurt are the poor.  That's basically most of his followers so I can't see him ever going after them.

The alphabet community would likely get a beating though.