US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The only people that I ever worry about getting hurt are the poor.  That's basically most of his followers so I can't see him ever going after them.

The alphabet community would likely get a beating though.

I think the old nutter would hurt anyone in his way now, even collateral damage he wouldn't give a rats hiney about. He's clearly a horrible person, pathologically self-centred. He would be on a revenge tour not giving a crap about running your country.

I can't see him politically surviving all the legal problems tho, it makes him look weak and he'll lose support. 

5 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

A political beating or a physical one?

Political.  Physically beating them is a hate crime.

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think the old nutter would hurt anyone in his way now, even collateral damage he wouldn't give a rats hiney about. He's clearly a horrible person, pathologically self-centred. He would be on a revenge tour not giving a crap about running your country.

I can't see him politically surviving all the legal problems tho, it makes him look weak and he'll lose support. 

He barely ran the country the first time around and we were fine up until the temper tantrum at the Capitol Building. 

People give him too much credit.  Positive and negative.

13 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The only people that I ever worry about getting hurt are the poor.  That's basically most of his followers so I can't see him ever going after them.

True in a two person race, you always have a chance.  But I look it as he barely beat a loathed candidate like Hillary (by the slimest of margins).  Unless the US economy nosedives this year, I see him losing by bigger margins than last time.  Though maybe his 'cyber ninjas' can find the votes this time?

6 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Political.  Physically beating them is a hate crime.

He barely ran the country the first time around and we were fine up until the temper tantrum at the Capitol Building. 

The *social* Cons just wanted him to stack the Supreme Court (and he succeeded completely in that).  

I'd agree on this before, but now? eep, the guy is off the rails with anger. He's a giant baby with a grudge to feed. 

But I think the legal issues will eat away at his support as he starts to line up losses, and in particular if he actually ends up losing some of his real estate holdings. Sure some will see him as a target or victim, but again that kind of makes him look weak. 

I mean if he's so powerful, how could he not stop it right? 

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

The *social* Cons just wanted him to stack the Supreme Court (and he succeeded completely in that).  

The left only has themselves to blame for that.  The Democrat voters didn't show in numbers for the mid-terms so the Republicans owned both houses of Congress.  Then the liberal wing justices held onto power until the bitter end. 

It was well known that either Trump or Hilary was likely going to get 2-3 judges on the court.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

it wouldn't be funny at all, a lot of actual people would get hurt. 

Not only that, but he's already on record saying that he would either do away with the positions of the people who held him accountable, or bring those positions under presidential control.

In other words, he plans on making the position of POTUS more of a dictatorship, just like his BFFs Vlad and Lil Kim....

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'd agree on this before, but now? eep, the guy is off the rails with anger. He's a giant baby with a grudge to feed. 

But I think the legal issues will eat away at his support as he starts to line up losses, and in particular if he actually ends up losing some of his real estate holdings. Sure some will see him as a target or victim, but again that kind of makes him look weak. 

I mean if he's so powerful, how could he not stop it right? 

Trump is still crushing it in the polling.  It's just gotten wider after each indictment.

There's a reason why Republicans are turning to Nikki Haley now and the Democrats are looking to replace Biden.

24 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Clearly not a deal breaker for you

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Not only that, but he's already on record saying that he would either do away with the positions of the people who held him accountable, or bring those positions under presidential control.

In other words, he plans on making the position of POTUS more of a dictatorship, just like his BFFs Vlad and Lil Kim....

Much easier said than done.  If it was easy to do, he would have done it in his first term.

Just now, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Clearly not a deal breaker for you

Nope.  The Supreme Court is going to take their rights one by one eventually.  Trump can only slightly hasten that through the DOJ.

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Trump is still crushing it in the polling.  It's just gotten wider after each indictment.

There's a reason why Republicans are turning to Nikki Haley now and the Democrats are looking to replace Biden.

I mean, to me that says more about US Republicans than anything else. Even if you only believe a fraction of the stuff Trump has done wrong, I can't understand how someone could support him. 

4 hours ago, Gurn said:

If Drumpf could become the Speaker, the Dems should nominate Liz Cheney.

Personally, I'd be okay with giving McCarthy the job back....but he would have to cancel the Impeachment inquiry and issue a statement saying that it's being tabled due to lack of evidence of wrongdoing by the President.

McCarty sold his soul to lunatic fringe of the GQP, so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch for him to make an actual bipartisan deal to get the Gavel back and maybe keep it this time....

He can do that with Dem support.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Much easier said than done.  If it was easy to do, he would have done it in his first term.

Sure is easier said than done, but the point is he tried, and if he gets the chance he will again. Don't you think even just trying will do incredible damage to not just the US but to the whole world order?

Edited by Playoff Beered

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I mean, to me that says more about US Republicans than anything else. Even if you only believe a fraction of the stuff Trump has done wrong, I can't understand how someone could support him. 

I neither support nor fear him.

Trump is first and foremost for Trump.  Always has been, always will be.

2 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

Sure is easier said than done, but the point is he tried, and if he gets the chance he will again. Don't you think even just trying will do incredible damage to not just the US but to the whole world order?

I'm not sure how much US republicans care about that tbh. 

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I neither support nor fear him.

Trump is first and foremost for Trump.  Always has been, always will be.

but isn't' that something to be concerned about? the amount of damage a US president can do?

Edited by Bob Long

1 minute ago, Playoff Beered said:

Nope.  He'll just spin his wheels on it.  Anything silly he does will take time.  Then will be reversed by the next president a year or two later.

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Disagree. His entire term as POTUS was filled with examples of him believing he had unlimited powers. By the time he realized he didn't, it was too late for him to make the changes that would enable him to do whatever he wanted.

He also had some true Republicans blocking his efforts during his first term. You can rest assured that those who don't toe the Trump line from here on in will get Primaried.

I do agree that it will be easier said than done, but I disagree with your assessment of the potential damage Trump could inflict on not only the US, but on the world....

• Upvote 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

From the greatest businessman like Urine Man?

Guy was born on third base & still gets picked-off despite having Barry Bonds in the batters box.

its not the man, its the position thats powerful. 

Edited by Bob Long

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I'm not sure how much US republicans care about that tbh. 

but isn't' that something to be concerned about? the amount of damage a US president can do?

The only lasting damage a president can do is waging war.  He's against foreign wars.  It's one of the few things I like about the man.

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Disagree. His entire term as POTUS was filled with examples of him believing he had unlimited powers. By the time he realized he didn't, it was too late for him to make the changes that would enable him to do whatever he wanted.

He also had some true Republicans blocking his efforts during his first term. You can rest assured that those who don't toe the Trump line from here on in will get Primaried.

I do agree that it will be easier said than done, but I disagree with your assessment of the potential damage Trump could inflict on not only the US, but on the world....

I'm more worried about one party having all 3 branches of government than I am of what Trump will manage to do. 

Presidents can issue orders, but they will be carried out by other politicians who, like the first time he was president, will twist them into party controlled orders.

If Trump manages to win, the Republicans will worm their way into his decision making and surround him with career politicians like they did before.

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

We're already seeing the results of Agent Orange attempting to turn the Republican party into a terrorist organization.  It's going to take decades to undo the damage caused by his first term. The civilized world needs to prevent a second by any means necessary.

The only lasting damage a president can do is waging war.  He's against foreign wars.  It's one of the few things I like about the man.

He was too busy waging a war against democracy.

Just now, King Heffy said:

We're already seeing the results of Agent Orange attempting to turn the Republican party into a terrorist organization.  It's going to take decades to undo the damage caused by his first term. The civilized world needs to prevent a second by any means necessary.

Most of that damage was caused by the old Tea Party radicalizing the meaning of "conservative".  That happened way before Trump.

7 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

is he though? he seems fine with other dictators causing harm where the US could step in. Even the threat of US involvement can curb a lot of harm around the world.