US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

John Oliver from Sundays show- that was taped on Saturday- so is a bit out of the loop; however his main story is the bullshit "Migrant Crime Wave'

The thing I love about his show is they fact check the stuff John says

This is great. By far the Dem weakest point especially with Kamala is the border. 

Dispelling that narrative will lessen the effectiveness of that attack. 

• Vintage 1

lol US Politics is fucked worse than us but that’s not saying much us Canadians seem to obsess over US politics too much imo it is concerning down there but we have problems of our own

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

I'd like to have seen Katie Porter get an honourable mention, though I admit she is still a bit light on experience.

Maybe next time.

Of this list- I'd lean to Gretchen Whitmer- after the grief she went through, she would be very, very, highly motivated to keep Drumpf out of office.

I can respect both of those choices for VP. 

But playing politics to win means facing reality.  Putting out a female for President is already somewhat politically risky. We don't just have to look back to 2016 to know that.  And she is black as well?

Unfortunately there is still a bigoted segment in the US (and Canada) that might vote Democrat, but not if that's the candidate. She must win them over too.

But two women on the ticket gives the Republicans their counter attack on a plate.....the woke and uppity feminazis are taking over!

I think they will take a white male to politically balance the overall package.  Just how it is.

I like Josh Shapiro myself

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, stawns said:

Perhaps he didn't want to give up his governorship or maybe the party feels he's more influential in his position than he would be as vp.  A Dem gov in a deeply red state is a pretty powerful gig

I think you nailed it Stawnzy ,.

Why give up or mess with a good base for the Dems ,   Also where your excelling as a Governor cutting your teeth.

This entire move (Joe stepping aside) ,  has actually happened because of what was perceived to be a weakness that “Clown Party” was trying to exploit ,.

has blown up in their faces.

Anyone know how much they’ve spent attacking Biden/ Bidens to date ?

classic tv television GIF by TV Land Classic

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

exactly,   It’s all him and his entourage have ever done ,.   GREIVANCE , Complain, Conspire , make up …

I’ve have not heard of one bill, proposal , or plan ,  I have neither seen one in writing.

It’s all a big fucking joke that’s disrupted Democracy in the USA .…. It’s Putin doing what he’s been doing to the Democracies Globally.

Putin has been doing this since the 90’s , and with the invention of the www. / internet/ social media ,  he destabilizes the World .

This Planet has lost 30 years to that RuZ bastard in forward thinking For Mankind.

I have no tolerance for these manipulators, terrorists, and murders…

all of us should not .

It is Sinister .

What's scary is in the 1959 Richard Condon wrote "The Manchurian Candidate". Basically using right wing slogans, the Communists planned using hypnotized US Soldiers and corrupt officials that were actually to take over the US for the Communists to take over.

Now 75 years later Russia has helped corrupt the US, UK, and other nations even worse than Condon could ever have dreamed.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Major plot twist. I indicated in February they would switch Biden with Michelle Obama. 

However, I heard a new one today. Kamala Harris will pick Barack Obama to be her VP. Yes, apparently he can be a VP. And apparently he can even take over as President if Kamala can’t fulfill her duties. He just can’t be elected to a 3rd term. 

Hmmmm…

The problem with this theory is it would definitely end up with SCOTUS. 

The 12th Amendment dictates that a vice president can not be selected if they are not eligible for president. 

The problem arrises with the 22nd ammendment which essentially bars Presidents from a 3rd term, or a vice president who inherited the Presidency for more than 2 years in the 1st term and then being reelected.  Obama served 2 terms.  He is ineligible to seek a 3rd term.

The only way this works is if SCOTUS determine that the 12th only refers to the basics ( Over 35, natural born US Citizen) and that the 22nd doesn't also apply.   Highly doubtful. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

And a cabbage for Pumpkinhead?

i think the trend with the lettuce was “which rots first “ lol 

how about this Ghost ..  this was taped yesterday..

this guy apparently had 30% of the votes in polls before the weekend.

Biden has saved the World . ( kind of)

• Haha 2

This is what I mean when the Dems are capturing the Youth of American votes..

it bigger than what I initially thought , and I didn’t think about the age and demographic that has “passed” .. literally.

• Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

lol US Politics is fucked worse than us but that’s not saying much us Canadians seem to obsess over US politics too much imo it is concerning down there but we have problems of our own

Some of us have family down south, so it's good to stay informed (and keep track) of the shitshow. Our own politicians have a habit of trying to emulate our southern neighbors as well, so it's nice to get a bit of forewarning. The entertainment value is pretty good too.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

The problem with this theory is it would definitely end up with SCOTUS. 

The 12th Amendment dictates that a vice president can not be selected if they are not eligible for president. 

The problem arrises with the 22nd ammendment which essentially bars Presidents from a 3rd term, or a vice president who inherited the Presidency for more than 2 years in the 1st term and then being reelected.  Obama served 2 terms.  He is ineligible to seek a 3rd term.

The only way this works is if SCOTUS determine that the 12th only refers to the basics ( Over 35, natural born US Citizen) and that the 22nd doesn't also apply.   Highly doubtful. 

counter point- Barack would not be serving a 3rd term, but rather the remainder of Kamala's term.

1- not his term

2 only part of a term.

But the concern about the Supremes is warranted. Maybe Joe appoints 5 more judges to the Supreme court- iirc there is no actual limit on how many Supremes there can be.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

This is what I mean when the Dems are capturing the Youth of American votes..

it bigger than what I initially thought , and I didn’t think about the age and demographic that has “passed” .. literally.

It is so very important Kamala does not fuck this up with Netanyahu's visit.

If there is one thing that turn off gen z harder than anything else it is the Gaza-Israeli issue where they are sick, tired and frankly disgusted with America's unconditional support of Israel that Biden had really leaned into. It is the one issue Harris have to distance herself from Biden if not outright go against him.

She need to make sure to not even be in the same picture as Netanyahu at the very least.

Better yet, she need to publicly gave a statement along the lines that continued US support will depend on Israel recognizing a two state solution, given Israel outright voted against ever having a Palestinian state,  and ending of occupation of the west bank that the ICJ declared as illegal and an apartheid.

Edited by 24K
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Some of us have family down south, so it's good to stay informed (and keep track) of the shitshow. Our own politicians have a habit of trying to emulate our southern neighbors as well, so it's nice to get a bit of forewarning. The entertainment value is pretty good too.

The US government impacts the whole world.  It would be willfully ignorant to ignore what's going on there.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

counter point- Barack would not be serving a 3rd term, but rather the remainder of Kamala's term.

1- not his term

2 only part of a term.

But the concern about the Supremes is warranted. Maybe Joe appoints 5 more judges to the Supreme court- iirc there is no actual limit on how many Supremes there can be.

I think the problem is that a vp that gets more than 2 years if they take over kills one term as per the 22nd.  He could technically get that 3rd term.  

That's why they would have to rule on it

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

WHUUT THE Fk ??

is this what I think it is ??

a movie about JD Vance ??

is this his claim to fame ???

tell me I’m wrong ,.     Please.

BDE20BB6-3F44-469A-B2FB-8F1DFBC039FE.thumb.jpeg.d99a029651e60f9dbbcf019a70954d25.jpeg

You my friend got a Bingo!

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, 24K said:

It is so very important Kamala does not fuck this up with Netanyahu's visit.

I don't understand what Kamala has to do with Netanyahu. If Netanyahu is meeting anyone, it would be the president, and that's still Biden. Biden is the president until January 20, 2025, so he has six more months of work ahead of him before he leaves office.

2 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I don't understand what Kamala has to do with Netanyahu. If Netanyahu is meeting anyone, it would be the president, and that's still Biden. Biden is the president until January 20, 2025, so he has six more months of work ahead of him before he leaves office.

She is already scheduled to meet with him privately.

The whole point is gen z dislike what Israel is doing and having any semblance of friendly association with him will be detrimental to the youth vote. It is already a major reason why Biden was polling horrendously against Trump.

The worst thing that can happen electorally is a picture of Kamala laughing or smiling with Netanyahu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, 24K said:

The whole point is gen z dislike what Israel is doing and having any semblance of friendly association with him will be detrimental to the youth vote. It is already a major reason why Biden was polling horrendously against Trump.

I see your point, but if those voters are turned off Harris, do you really think they're going to run towards Trump? Trump has been a vocal supporter of Netanyahu, while the Biden administration (including the VP) has tried to make him accountable for ending the conflict in Gaza. I could be wrong, but I don't see Biden or Harris conducting a love-in with Netanyahu.