US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

7 minutes ago, 24K said:

RFK Jr. pulls more from Trump than Harris per new Ipsos poll post switch. 

RFK pulled 2% from Harris while pulling double that at 4% from Trump among registered voters. 

image.thumb.png.ef2e6b0b8f2ab47aae8250c0c8b32626.png

If that holds into the swing states, Trump could be screwed.  If it doesn't mirror into the swing states, that just means that she'll do what the last 2 candidates did.  Win the popular vote, but not the electoral college.

I'd like to see how those battleground states shake out now.

17 minutes ago, kilgore said:

New report that he was only saying he won't personally give money to Trump directly, but will still give the money to the Trump super PAC that he helped create

Musk, who fully endorsed Donald Trump last Saturday after the shooting at a Trump rally, has been praised by the former president as a "brilliant guy" — despite Trump saying he hadn't heard about Musk's reported plan of donating $45 million each month to a pro-Trump super PAC.

These guys have short memories but it looks like Donald was right the first time.

IMG_1663.jpeg

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

If that holds into the swing states, Trump could be screwed.  If it doesn't mirror into the swing states, that just means that she'll do what the last 2 candidates did.  Win the popular vote, but not the electoral college.

I'd like to see how those battleground states shake out now.

Crazy how just a few swing States decide the election.  Didn't Hillary lose by something like 50,000 votes from two States?  Even though she won the national popular vote.

I saw you might like to vote for a third party candidate. I wish Canada would adopt some form of Proportional representation voting system....Like Trudeau promised!!! :classic_angry:. And if it were adopted in the US, you could have a few Greens, Libertarians, and others in the House or Senate. I think that would be great for democracy and for bringing in new ideas.

But another result of PR voting, is that it is more of a popular vote result.  Based on populations not the Electoral College. So I'd think Democrats would most likely win more often.  And once that happened, Republicans would be forced to become more inclusive and moderate to win the next time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Starts at about the 7:25 mark.

If the bullet hit his ear it would be gone

https://youtu.be/FsvJzfXZI18?si=lWWp-NLGIOKNp1Ef

I think they address the gel stuff ( the head they are using) vs flesh in the vid I posted a few pages back. The one I posted used pigs ears. 

I just scanned your vid but the one i posted is pretty compelling in that a bullet from an AR would pierce an ear not blow it off.

21 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Crazy how just a few swing States decide the election.  Didn't Hillary lose by something like 50,000 votes from two States?  Even though she won the national popular vote.

I saw you might like to vote for a third party candidate. I wish Canada would adopt some form of Proportional representation voting system....Like Trudeau promised!!! :classic_angry:. And if it were adopted in the US, you could have a few Greens, Libertarians, and others in the House or Senate. I think that would be great for democracy and for bringing in new ideas.

But another result of PR voting, is that it is more of a popular vote result.  Based on populations not the Electoral College. So I'd think Democrats would most likely win more often.  And once that happened, Republicans would be forced to become more inclusive and moderate to win the next time.

Oh hell no to proportional. 

Canada elects a parliament, we don't need each party randomly putting people into seats without the scrutiny of the voters.

Popular vote can make sense for the US presidency as you are electing one person to represent everyone in America.

For Canada and every other parliamentary system or us congress, ranked choice / stv makes more sense. It give what you want with more chance to smaller parties without the impetus for voters to vote strategically.

Edited by 24K
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I get the need for an electoral college, but yes, it's kind of odd that so few states decide the direction of the country.  But hey, we're a Republic.

I vote 3rd party on principle, not because I think they'll win anything.  Too many blue and red team followers/robots for that to happen right now.

If it wasn't for the electoral college, only densely populated states would get resources.  Politicians have to care about everyone in every city, big or small, because of the electoral process.

• Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, kilgore said:

New report that he was only saying he won't personally give money to Trump directly, but will still give the money to the Trump super PAC that he helped create

I wonder if he felt he had to make that comment on a "cult of personality" after a response from a tweet he sent out to Vinod Khosla, a big venture capitalist and OpenAI investor

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/elon-musk-asked-openai-investor-vinod-khosla-to-support-trump-khosla-said-he-doesn-t-accept-depravity/ar-BB1qnWJC

Khosla first posted that an open convention could yield a candidate who could "easily" beat Trump, such as Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer or Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro — in a later post, he also called on Vice President Kamala Harris or Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear to declare their candidacy. He noted these politicians could lead the US without the nation being "held hostage between MAGA extremists and DEI extremism."

Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla, was not impressed.

"Come on, Vinod. Trump/Vance LFG!!" he replied.

Musk, who fully endorsed Donald Trump last Saturday after the shooting at a Trump rally, has been praised by the former president as a "brilliant guy" — despite Trump saying he hadn't heard about Musk's reported plan of donating $45 million each month to a pro-Trump super PAC.

Khosla is a Democratic donor who hosted a fundraiser for Biden in May and previously endorsed Hillary Clinton in 2016. He snapped back, noting it would be hard to support Trump.

"Hard for me to support someone with no values, lies, cheats, rapes, demeans women, hates immigrants like me," Khosla replied. "He may cut my taxes or reduce some regulation but that is no reason to accept depravity in his personal values. Do you want President who will set back climate by a decade in his first year? Do you want his example for your kids as values?"

God that statement makes no difference. He can't give $45 million per month to Trump. He legally can't do it as the limit for individual contribution to a candidate is $2700 per election cycle. 

He can only give that in godly sum to super pacs. That is some weak defense if he actually said that.

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

Reagan gutted the middle class and Clinton sowed the seeds of the GFC when he repealed the Glass - Steagall act. 

In fact all the president's from Reagan up to and including Obama facilitated the flood of wealth to the wealthiest 10 percent of Americans since 1980. 

Here is an article by John Komlos, a former Duke economics professor and professor emeritus of economics and economic history at the University of Munich. 

" The Road to Trump Began With Reaganomics and The Loss of the Middle Class "

https://today.duke.edu/2019/01/road-trump-began-reaganomics-loss-middle-class-economist-says

Anyone who has researched American politics/economics knows this.

They didnt create economies of scale or globalization, the ultra rich would still be the ultra rich, just in another country giving them the jobs and tax revenue. Every citizen has a choice who they buy their goods from big corporations or small business its a free market.  

Edited by Bure_Pavel

6 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Every citizen has a choice who they buy their goods from big corporations or small business its a free market.  

not really tho. There's a limited number of places a person can shop depending on their budget. Working folks don't really have that much choice in pricing. 

5 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

They didnt create economies of scale or globalization, the ultra rich would still be the ultra rich, just in another country giving them the jobs and tax revenue. Every citizen has a choice who they buy their goods from big corporations or small business its a free market.  

Sorry to break it to you, it ain't a free market out there.

All of US meats are literally controlled by three companies. They hide it better from low information people with bunch of brands that are their subsidiaries.

That goes for a lot of industries in the western world.

You can clearly see when wages disconnected from worker productivity. That split happened under Reagan and his trickle down economics.

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 2

Just now, 24K said:

Sorry to break it to you, it ain't a free market out there.

All of US meats are literally controlled by three companies. They hide it better from low information people with bunch of brands that are their subsidiaries.

That goes for a lot of industries in the western world.

You can clearly see when wages disconnected from worker productivity. That split happened under Reagan and his trickle down economics.

you can have the Tyson chicken, or theTy-son chicken. 

12 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I get the need for an electoral college, but yes, it's kind of odd that so few states decide the direction of the country.  But hey, we're a Republic.

I vote 3rd party on principle, not because I think they'll win anything.  Too many blue and red team followers/robots for that to happen right now.

If it wasn't for the electoral college, only densely populated states would get resources.  Politicians have to care about everyone in every city, big or small, because of the electoral process.

If I had it my way I would keep the electoral college but divide each state's ec vote proportionally by the state's popular vote rather than winner take all.

That way you still have the ec to keep candidates honest with smaller states and still somewhat reflect the popular vote.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 24K said:

Oh hell no to proportional. 

Canada elects a parliament, we don't need each party randomly putting people into seats without the scrutiny of the voters.

Popular vote can make sense for the US presidency as you are electing one person to represent everyone in America.

For Canada and every other parliamentary system or us congress, ranked choice / stv makes more sense. It give what you want with more chance to smaller parties without the impetus for voters to vote strategically.

But that is a form of proportional representation.

https://fairvote.org/our-reforms/proportional-ranked-choice-voting/

There are various configurations of PR.   That is one of them. We have to learn from what works best in other countries and craft our own that works best for our country. End game:  at least roughly...the percent amount of votes for one party will equal their representation in Parliament.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

he's had a positive impact on moving EVs forward (regardless of what happens with Tesla itself from this point on), and our cool new space travel era.

But he's a dink with some really lame social ideas. I can appreciate the former and forget about the latter in about 10 seconds as its meaningless blither. 

I freaking hate him for pushing EVs. We literally gave up on the superior technology in hydrogen fuel cells cause of that push by him and Tesla.

2 minutes ago, kilgore said:

But that is a form of proportional representation.

https://fairvote.org/our-reforms/proportional-ranked-choice-voting/

There are various configurations of PR.   That is one of them. We have to learn from what works best in other countries and craft our own that works best for our country. End game:  at least roughly...the percent amount of votes for one party will equal their representation in Parliament.

When people say proportional they mean vote for party and split the seats in parliament by proportion of the popular vote. The people that occupy those seats are decided by the party themselves.

I personally do not lump in rank choice with proportional.

1 minute ago, 24K said:

I freaking hate him for pushing EVs. We literally gave up on the superior technology in hydrogen fuel cells cause of that push by him and Tesla.

Fuel cells are great for sure. 

By creating an ev market tho we can have competition. We will see more and better alternatives.

• Upvote 1