US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

20 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I get the need for an electoral college, but yes, it's kind of odd that so few states decide the direction of the country.  But hey, we're a Republic.

I vote 3rd party on principle, not because I think they'll win anything.  Too many blue and red team followers/robots for that to happen right now.

If it wasn't for the electoral college, only densely populated states would get resources.  Politicians have to care about everyone in every city, big or small, because of the electoral process.

"If it wasn't for the electoral college, only densely populated states would get resources.  Politicians have to care about everyone in every city, big or small, because of the electoral process."

I can understand this argument, but its way way too imbalanced. Its ridiculous that in presidential elections people in Wyoming have nearly four times the power of people in California.

Its land mass over people to a ridiculous degree. At least I'd suggest to adjust the algorithm.

Back when it was all family run small farms in those States there may be a case for it, but a lot of those States are run by large corporate owned farms now. Who simply back the party that gives them the biggest tax breaks and cuts regulations.

2 hours ago, 24K said:

Lol. Elon know he backed the wrong horse and Tesla is tanking thanks to it to some degree. 

Elon Musk backs down from $45 million a month pledge to Trump, says he doesn’t ‘subscribe to cult of personality’

https://fortune.com/2024/07/23/elon-musk-backs-down-from-45-million-a-month-pledge-to-trump-says-he-doesnt-subscribe-to-cult-of-personality/

Rich people will donate to both often.

Not sure if this is true, I haven't checked the source:

• Thanks 1

This guy .

Trump was hoping to be endorsed by him..

and take his followers in a Galla wind fall event.  

Trump really should make him VP elect if he gets rid of Vance ..     if he survives that long .

(recorded Sunday past)

8 minutes ago, 24K said:

When people say proportional they mean vote for party and split the seats in parliament by proportion of the popular vote. The people that occupy those seats are decided by the party themselves.

I personally do not lump in rank choice with proportional.

Agree to disagree then. 

Ranking choice still goes a long way towards making it fairer, and more representationaly reflects the will of the people, proportionally speaking. That is the end goal.

There are various forms and combinations of PR systems. No reason why we can't make up one that fits us best.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

This guy .

Trump was hoping to be endorsed by him..

and take his followers in a Galla wind fall event.  

Trump really should make him VP elect if he gets rid of Vance ..     if he survives that long .

(recorded Sunday past)

That would be a smart thing to do. 

Which is why that fat dim witted narcissist won't do it.  Another smart choice would have been Nicki Haley.  I'd be seriously worried if he'd had the intelligence to do that.  She could be the foil for the Never Trumper R's.....she'd pretend she could keep him in check.  But he probably was still smarting from some of the things she said on the primary campaign trail.  He needed a true born again convert like Vance

• Cheers 1

Just now, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't a hydrogen fuel cell essentially a battery?

Yes, it is a liquid/gas battery instead of a solid battery. It generates electricity by the energy released by the fusion of hydrogen and oxygen to create water vapors. 

The advantage over EV with those are that it is pretty much just like going to the gas pump. No long charging time or degradation of the battery. We can take advantage of existing infrastructure to distribute that fuel and probably face less resistance from fossil fuel companies in the transition as it provide a direct replacement of their business model.

Downside is we are pretty much doing an extra step having to use energy to split water into hydrogen. So some efficiency problem there.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 24K said:

If I had it my way I would keep the electoral college but divide each state's ec vote proportionally by the state's popular vote rather than winner take all.

That way you still have the ec to keep candidates honest with smaller states and still somewhat reflect the popular vote.

2 states actually do divide their electoral votes by district.  Maine and Nebraska if memory serves.

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

2 states actually do divide their electoral votes by district.  Maine and Nebraska if memory serves.

Yep but I don't like that as that is just gonna further encourage gerrymandering.

1 minute ago, 24K said:

Yes, it is a liquid/gas battery instead of a solid battery. It generates electricity by the energy released by the fusion of hydrogen and oxygen to create water vapors. 

The advantage over EV with those are that it is pretty much just like going to the gas pump. No long charging time or degradation of the battery. We can take advantage of existing infrastructure to distribute that fuel and probably face less resistance from fossil fuel companies in the transition as it provide a direct replacement of their business model.

Downside is we are pretty much doing an extra step having to use energy to split water into hydrogen. So some efficiency problem there.

Yes, that's what I thought. What I was wondering is why the technology couldn't or wouldn't just be incorporated into current EV technology? I was unaware that Musk and Tesla had anything to do with it's fall out of favour.

18 minutes ago, kilgore said:

"If it wasn't for the electoral college, only densely populated states would get resources.  Politicians have to care about everyone in every city, big or small, because of the electoral process."

I can understand this argument, but its way way too imbalanced. Its ridiculous that in presidential elections people in Wyoming have nearly four times the power of people in California.

Its land mass over people to a ridiculous degree. At least I'd suggest to adjust the algorithm.

Back when it was all family run small farms in those States there may be a case for it, but a lot of those States are run by large corporate owned farms now. Who simply back the party that gives them the biggest tax breaks and cuts regulations.

It's not a perfect method, but it's the best that we have.

The left hates it because it's been biting them on the ass lately instead of the Republicans.

A group of people in the most liberal state in the union, California, tried to change the way that they distributed their electoral votes, but it failed to pass.  Guess who stopped it...  The Democrats.

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Fuel cells are great for sure. 

By creating an ev market tho we can have competition. We will see more and better alternatives.

Problem is Hydrogen needs to be stored under pressure, and evaporates. If you thought an EV battery loses charge just sitting there. Hydrogen is worse. The only advantage of hydrogen is it would need minimal re-training from people on the infrastructure. Right now in the Lower Mainland we have 2-3 hydrogen stations to refuel? Hydrogen needs a lot of electricity to separate hydrogen and oxygen. Is it more efficient than oil, and water coming out the tail pipe? Sure. But to fuel millions of hydrogen cars and trucks?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 24K said:

Yep but I don't like that as that is just gonna further encourage gerrymandering.

It actually benefits the Democrats in those states so I don't know how many here would agree with you. 

@24K

*edit* I just double checked because my brain was screaming at me.  In 2020, Biden took the advantage in one and Trump in the other. 

If the electoral college favoured Kamala Harris, most everyone here would love that it exists.

Edited by Sabrefan1

10 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I just can’t believe that people are buying his cyber trucks.
Those things make Pontiac Aztec look like the most beautiful car of all times.

I see you haven't been watching what's happening to the price of the cybertrucks.  📉

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Actually, someone in my gated community has one and it's actually way cooler than I expected it to be

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Actually, someone in my gated community has one and it's actually way cooler than I expected it to be

The problem is that the Founders Edition price is dropping like flies.  I hope that person didn't buy it during the first wave or his loan (if he didn't pay cash) is pretty heavily underwater now.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Someone own's one up here. It really is hideous. And dogshit as far as a truck goes.....

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Someone own's one up here. It really is hideous. And dogshit as far as a truck goes.....

There was one with Washington plates that we saw yesterday crossing the Arthur Laing Bridge and was heading towards South Terminal.  My wife commented that it looked like something out of a badly designed video game.  I was personally hoping it would find a secluded uninhabited spot to let its batteries explode and take itself off the face of this earth.