US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

25 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm glad the presenter pointed out that there are "a whole rainbow" of ways to produce hydrogen.  Most people think of splitting water using electricity (also known as electrolysis) as the only means to produce hydrogen, while some non-scientific layperson types (and a lot of people in the science and engineering professions) know of methane reforming/natural gas reforming as an alternative.  There are other ways, but pretty much all of them are nowhere close to commercially viable at present state-of-technology.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The problem is that the Founders Edition price is dropping like flies.  I hope that person didn't buy it during the first wave or his loan (if he didn't pay cash) is pretty heavily underwater now.

I don't know about the price and I doubt anyone in my complex is too concerned about price either.  I was just referring to the post that they look ridiculous........I was actually pleasantly surprised 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't know about the price and I doubt anyone in my complex is too concerned about price either.  I was just referring to the post that they look ridiculous........I was actually pleasantly surprised 

I like that they are different.  I'm just not a fan of pickup trucks in general.  My brother loves pickups.  And oddly, he likes mini-vans too.  He has just the one grown son so it's not even a lug the family around thing.

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Actually, someone in my gated community has one and it's actually way cooler than I expected it to be

Elon thinks he is genius for using stainless steel on his cyber truck’s exterior.

All those that purchased this monstrosity will find out soon, why no other car company uses this material.

Stainless steel does look good on all my kitchen appliances though!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Problem is Hydrogen needs to be stored under pressure, and evaporates. If you thought an EV battery loses charge just sitting there. Hydrogen is worse. The only advantage of hydrogen is it would need minimal re-training from people on the infrastructure. Right now in the Lower Mainland we have 2-3 hydrogen stations to refuel? Hydrogen needs a lot of electricity to separate hydrogen and oxygen. Is it more efficient than oil, and water coming out the tail pipe? Sure. But to fuel millions of hydrogen cars and trucks?

I think it will ultimately be a mix of tech that gets us off oil and gas. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Elon thinks he is genius for using stainless steel on his cyber truck’s exterior.

All those that purchased this monstrosity will find out soon, why no other car company uses this material.

Yeah, I dont anything about that stuff, just how it looks when it drives by or sits in his driveway 

2 hours ago, BarneyKook said:

I think he is one of the most repellent people out there, he disgusts me in al ost every way

However, there is one point I can understand in this clip and it's when he says his son is dead and deadname is a real thing.

10 years ago, one of my best friends up and left town without telling any of his friends.  He told his ex to tell us why and it was because he was transitioning to female and he went back to his home in Ontario to do it.

After we all found out, and because he just left without telling us or saying goodbye, we all felt like "he" had died because we never got any closure with him.  One day he was there, the next day he was gone forever, just like he had died.

However, all the bullshit musk spews after that is beyond despicable and I don't know how you talk about your child that way.

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yeah, I dont anything about that stuff, just how it looks when it drives by or sits in his driveway 

He thinks he can dip into people's pockets for another 5k to wrap their trucks in urethane so the steel doesn't corrode in the rain.  He's probably correct.

It's a sh*tty move by Tesla, but if you pay the 6 figure price tag, you'll likely pay the extra 5k.  Unfortunately for some people they didn't have a clue that stainless steel corrodes. 

Like people who worship Apple and certain political parties, people who worship EV's and Teslas will happily get crapped on and tell you it's raining.

https://www.wired.com/story/this-is-why-teslas-stainless-steel-cybertrucks-may-be-rusting/

Edited by Sabrefan1
added "worship EV's and Teslas"
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

"If it wasn't for the electoral college, only densely populated states would get resources.  Politicians have to care about everyone in every city, big or small, because of the electoral process."

I can understand this argument, but its way way too imbalanced. Its ridiculous that in presidential elections people in Wyoming have nearly four times the power of people in California.

Its land mass over people to a ridiculous degree. At least I'd suggest to adjust the algorithm.

Back when it was all family run small farms in those States there may be a case for it, but a lot of those States are run by large corporate owned farms now. Who simply back the party that gives them the biggest tax breaks and cuts regulations.

One argument against the people who say rural states lose their voice if the electoral college is abolished is the Senate. 

Those sparsely populated rural states get 2 US Senators each.  Wyoming gets the same as Cali.  North and South Dakota get 2 each.  Montana gets 2.  That's 8 Senators for 4 states whose total population is nowhere near that of Cali.  Or probably New York even.  

The Senate is the great equalizer. 

• Vintage 1

🤦‍♂️

The attempted assassination investigation has gotten worse for the USSS.

Newly released body camera footage shows a roof that had ridges that made it perfectly safe.  So the now former director was full of crap about it.  Someone could have easily and very safely sat up there.

Also, the shooter was more prepared technology-wise than the USSS.  He had a drone and the USSS didn't.

This is just getting more and more embarrassing for both the Secret Service and the country.

Trudeau may want to bring some Mounties with him instead of accepting full USSS protection the next time he visits Washington DC.  A good 50-50 mix.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think he is one of the most repellent people out there, he disgusts me in al ost every way

However, there is one point I can understand in this clip and it's when he says his son is dead and deadname is a real thing.

10 years ago, one of my best friends up and left town without telling any of his friends.  He told his ex to tell us why and it was because he was transitioning to female and he went back to his home in Ontario to do it.

After we all found out, and because he just left without telling us or saying goodbye, we all felt like "he" had died because we never got any closure with him.  One day he was there, the next day he was gone forever, just like he had died.

However, all the bullshit musk spews after that is beyond despicable and I don't know how you talk about your child that way.

Hes a narcissistic twat for airing something so sacred as a family issue .

This topic in particular.

Hes using the situation to gain empathy,  and make him seem more “human” ..

He just wants people to sympathize with him and gain their trust and support .

Family issues are , Family issues .

This shows just how far out of touch he is to orc-estrate this ..  it’s a manipulative technique.

He ,.    Has probably killed his son by doing this.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

The Senate is the great equalizer. 

No it's not.  It's only half of the equation.  Congress is split into 2 for a specific reason.

Senators look out for statewide interests.  That's why the entire state votes on them. 

Representatives look out for local interests.  That's why they are voted on in districts.  If you just have senators, the small towns in the state get screwed.

The Big Boys are watching ,.  
       They are true American Warriors.

.. and IF something happens when the Guard Changes,.  They will be  locked and loaded before “Napoleons” like Gunther Doolittle get out of bed.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

The Big Boys are watching ,.  
       They are true American Warriors.

.. and IF something happens when the Guard Changes,.  They will be  locked and loaded before “Napoleons” like Gunther Doolittle get out of bed.

If that first guy ever finds out that I voted for a woman 2 of the last 3 presidential elections (Jill Stein) and am voting for her again in 4 months, he's really really going to want my man card. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

🤦‍♂️

The attempted assassination investigation has gotten worse for the USSS.

Newly released body camera footage shows a roof that had ridges that made it perfectly safe.  So the now former director was full of crap about it.  Someone could have easily and very safely sat up there.

Also, the shooter was more prepared technology-wise than the USSS.  He had a drone and the USSS didn't.

This is just getting more and more embarrassing for both the Secret Service and the country.

Trudeau may want to bring some Mounties with him instead of accepting full USSS protection the next time he visits Washington DC.  A good 50-50 mix.

That comment was the end of her & a great reason for conspiracy theories to start. Its just a blatant lie to either cover for the most extraordinary ineptitude in history or something more nefarious. And given that the agencies have been willing to go into 'nefarious' waters in the past, it seems clear which way alot of people are going to lean.

• chaos 1

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

That comment was the end of her & a great reason for conspiracy theories to start. Its just a blatant lie to either cover for the most extraordinary ineptitude in history or something more nefarious. And given that the agencies have been willing to go into 'nefarious' waters in the past, it seems clear which way alot of people are going to lean.

She got the job because she was friends with Jill Biden.  She lied hoping that she'd get her arse covered for her.  When she got excoriated in the hearing by all but 1 representative and even some Democrats started to call for her head, it was over and she knew it.  It also didn't help that, if rumours are true, that others in the USSS threatened to resign if she didn't.

This was just piss poor planning and incompetence.  Nothing more or less.

It had nothing to do with needing more agents like some here have suggested.  They needed better leaders and better decision makers.  Hopefully now they'll get them.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I just realized that I forgot to embed the video/tweet in my first post...  😬

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

452649051_10161067142065549_265307479813

As ugly as that is, it's probably more practical than a Cybertruck.

The whole problem with EV Pickups, is towing kills your range, be it an F-150 Lightning, Rivian or Cybertruck.

And towing is one of the big reasons to own a truck. That and hauling stuff. And if you look at a Cybertruck you can't put stuff in easily in the bed. So what's it good for then?

You have difficulties seeing out the back. The retractable tonneu cover has issues. It can't even handle sand, muck, and dirt.

Honestly that and the Tesla Semi are probably going to be failures.

What I don't understand, why didn't Tesla go with building cube vans? Saving gas and no emissions, they can be used for deliveries to retailers, shipping from warehouses.

They would go to a warehouse/central office where they could be recharged in the company yard. They'd be perfect for inter-city use.

Oh well.