US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I agree BLM is a movement not an org.

I remember hearing about some leaders of BLM being Marxist but again, who appointed them as so called leaders...

Looks like a bunch of grifters who are latching onto the name and just happened to register the domain first IMO.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Lives_Matter_Global_Network_Foundation

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

why does she always sound like shes talking to a group of 1st graders....

I know theres a honeymoon period going on right now and Democrats are really excited that Joe was forced out but... idk i dont think shes really all that great.

I wouldnt be surprised if theres an attempt to replace her before the DNC ends, but then the problem is there dont seem to be many viable candidates... Seems like Newsome/Buttigeg are being groomed for future runs, would they play those cards now despite seemingly being up against a big wall? Im not even convinced Newsome would be a great upgrade atm, hes not done a good job with California & thats very easy to attack. And of course they wouldnt really go back to Hillary would they??

I think Kamala will struggle in the debates & in press conferences. But she does have the corporate media + democrat/progressive machine to patch holes & prop her up, which is of course very powerful.

Trump is a first grader, have you not heard him mumble about nothing? In 72 hours she has shaken the GOP to it's core, and she'll eat the dummy alive in a debate.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Soooo, apparently the Democratic darling, Black Lives Matter, is not happy with the anointing of Kamala Harris as the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee...

https://blacklivesmatter.com/black-lives-matter-statement-on-kamala-harris-securing-enough-delegates-to-become-democratic-nominee/

Looks to me that they're unhappy with the process, rather than the person.....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Looks to me that they're unhappy with the process, rather than the person.....

I hope that, regardless of who they nominate this time, if the Dems win that they don't just go with the incumbent and have a true primary process in 2028

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I know theres a honeymoon period going on right now and Democrats are really excited that Joe was forced out but... idk i dont think shes really all that great.

I wouldnt be surprised if theres an attempt to replace her before the DNC ends, but then the problem is there dont seem to be many viable candidates... Seems like Newsome/Buttigeg are being groomed for future runs, would they play those cards now despite seemingly being up against a big wall? Im not even convinced Newsome would be a great upgrade atm, hes not done a good job with California & thats very easy to attack. And of course they wouldnt really go back to Hillary would they??

I think Kamala will struggle in the debates & in press conferences. But she does have the corporate media + democrat/progressive machine to patch holes & prop her up, which is of course very powerful.

I agree she needs media training and presence. But consider her opponent as well. I'm very curious how that plays out. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I agree she needs media training and presence. But consider her opponent as well. I'm very curious how that plays out. 

I also think that you can't tell context from a 10 second clip 

I saw a similar clip making the rounds, claiming the same thing, about she's condescending and speaking to people like they were little kids.......it turns out that, when you watched the extended footage, she was indeed explaining something to children

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

I also think that you can't tell context from a 10 second clip 

I saw a similar clip making the rounds, claiming the same thing, about she's condescending and speaking to people like they were little kids.......it turns out that, when you watched the extended footage, she was indeed explaining something to children

bing bing, bong bong, thats some genius level discussion right there tho. 

15 hours ago, 24K said:

Oh hell no to proportional. 

Canada elects a parliament, we don't need each party randomly putting people into seats without the scrutiny of the voters.

Popular vote can make sense for the US presidency as you are electing one person to represent everyone in America.

For Canada and every other parliamentary system or us congress, ranked choice / stv makes more sense. It give what you want with more chance to smaller parties without the impetus for voters to vote strategically.

Just to a minor detour on this thread but ....  STV IS a proportional voting system, probably resulting in the most proportional of all outcomes.  Are you thinking of MMP (a different system of proportional voting outcomes) where there are party lists and some members are appointed by their parties.  I totally agree with your last statement, but I do think that the US political system would also benefit immensely by using one.

17 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Talking like that is what she was trained to do as a trial prosecutor.

Litigators have to break things down to very simple terms to the jury. 

She is definitely not the best candidate the Dem can muster up but she is the only one that can do it in such a short time frame. She won't have problem at debates cause that is her profession. All trials are a debate. News conference is also part of her training so i doubt she gonna struggle there either. 

Edited by 24K
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, 24K said:

Sorry to break it to you, it ain't a free market out there.

All of US meats are literally controlled by three companies. They hide it better from low information people with bunch of brands that are their subsidiaries.

That goes for a lot of industries in the western world.

You can clearly see when wages disconnected from worker productivity. That split happened under Reagan and his trickle down economics.

Again they pay people what they are willing to accept to do the work, its a supply and demand thing. Things like immigration can drive down wages if they are willing to do the work for cheaper, but this usually is less of a factor for highly skilled and specialized jobs. There is some monopolies and oligopolies out there for sure usually it means they are able to offer a superior product or lower priced product than the competitors.   

15 hours ago, 24K said:

When people say proportional they mean vote for party and split the seats in parliament by proportion of the popular vote. The people that occupy those seats are decided by the party themselves.

I personally do not lump in rank choice with proportional.

That is only ONE of many systems of PR.  MMP (Mixed Member Proportional Rep) is where you vote for a person and a party.  Half the seats are filled by the people who get the votes and half are filled from party lists.  There are a number of other PR systems used around the world, such as STV (Single Transferable Vote) that you previously mentioned.  In BC our last referendum on this there were 3 options presented.   So for the US, I have no doubt there could be found some way to choose/devise a PR voting system that would give relatively true pro rep results at any level/type of election.  Same with Canada! 

I truly wish we would adopt PR here - I think it's a travesty of our voting systems that we so often (seems almost always these days) get a majority government with well under the majority of votes.

9 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Nothing you have stated changes the fact that Reagan's economic policies actually harmed the middle class, and totally screwed poor Americans. 

While from that late sixties onwards there was a steady flow of wealth to America's highest earners, Reagan's economic policies supercharged that flow.

One of my favourite examples of how the American people are getting fucked over is the CEO to worker pay ratio.

This article is full of fun facts in regards to how the American people are getting bent over backwards.

https://www.epi.org/publication/ceo-pay-in-2022/#:~:text=Using the CEO granted compensation,the composition of CEO compensation.

In 1965 the ratio was 21-1 

In 2022 the ratio was 344-1 by the realised compensation measure. 

That's not because of Reagan, that's due to improvements in business operations, technological advancement, and globalization. The biggest non oil company in 1980 was making $66 billion in revenue (GM) today the biggest is $648 billion in revenue (Walmart).

5 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

'Blubbering old fool' Trump trashed  for latest demand about Joe Biden

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-biden-2668807695/

Bone Spurs must not have got the memo....

Even though he's no longer running for re-election, Joe is still POTUS. No private citizen, political candidate or not, deserves equal air time with the President of the United States.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Fox Guest Off the Air After Calling Kamala Harris ‘The Original Hawk Tuah Girl’

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-guest-off-the-air-after-calling-kamala-harris-the-original-hawk-tuah-girl/

Hawk tuah girl is pretty wholesome. She used her 15 minutes of fame to buy supplies for animal shelters.

It's not the insult they think it is.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Fox Guest Off the Air After Calling Kamala Harris ‘The Original Hawk Tuah Girl’

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-guest-off-the-air-after-calling-kamala-harris-the-original-hawk-tuah-girl/

The assclown doubled down by asking in a separate Tweet if he "went too far"? I'd say that based on the fact that Faux hasn't had him on air since, the answer is "yes".

Lace must have missed the memo that Faux had to pay out close to a billion dollars for defaming a voting machine company. They're a bit sensitive to people saying things that might get them sued......again.

According to a headline I saw from The Independent, Mark Kelly is now the favorite to be Harris' running mate. This comes after a headline I saw yesterday, that said it was down to Kelly, or Shapiro....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/mark-kelly-now-heavy-favorite-to-be-harris-running-mate-as-he-blasts-jd-vance-on-ukraine/ar-BB1qyRT2?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=a0e3ec832cc3414ea59de4a18991372f&ei=18

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

this isn't a good thing. 

No but it is a thing and will be a thing regardless of any countries government. If you fight it its a lose lose scenario, the best option is find build a relationship with these titans of industry that benefits both parties and the general public. Government oversight to ensure they play by the rules is required though.  

We want as many of these titans to be based in Canada or the US as possible. The more other countries like China and India have, their power and influence will grow with them. Capital investment should be encouraged as it fuels new technologies and advancements to increase productivity. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Like 1

This is the problem when the DHS agencies investigate themselves, plausible deniability is a massive problem is Washington

As a result there are never sufficient answers, rarely consequences (we did see 1 yesterday), and it essentially allows them so much power. 

13 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

As ugly as that is, it's probably more practical than a Cybertruck.

The whole problem with EV Pickups, is towing kills your range, be it an F-150 Lightning, Rivian or Cybertruck.

And towing is one of the big reasons to own a truck. That and hauling stuff. And if you look at a Cybertruck you can't put stuff in easily in the bed. So what's it good for then?

You have difficulties seeing out the back. The retractable tonneu cover has issues. It can't even handle sand, muck, and dirt.

Honestly that and the Tesla Semi are probably going to be failures.

What I don't understand, why didn't Tesla go with building cube vans? Saving gas and no emissions, they can be used for deliveries to retailers, shipping from warehouses.

They would go to a warehouse/central office where they could be recharged in the company yard. They'd be perfect for inter-city use.

Oh well.

Highly doubt that many will be towing or carrying loads in their cybertruck.  They are show cars for their owners.