US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The organization.  I know they have a board of directors that controls and makes policy and handles the money.

Anything past those things, I'm quite ignorant of.

Wasn't there some scandal where someone involved with the organization was buying houses with the proceeds way back? I seem to recall there was a distancing between the movement and the organization at that time. It didn't stop the right from painting the entire movement with that brush though. It's so much easier to dismiss what they are saying that way.

13 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Wasn't there some scandal where someone involved with the organization was buying houses with the proceeds way back? I seem to recall there was a distancing between the movement and the organization at that time. It didn't stop the right from painting the entire movement with that brush though. It's so much easier to dismiss what they are saying that way.

The media played coverup for them, but yes, they bought some nice houses, got caught, then renovated and turned one of them into a charity group place or something so they wouldn't get nailed by any authorities or keep losing donations to bad publicity. 

It's a well known real estate "scam" that some charities pull. 

The Scientologists don't even bother trying to hide it.  They own a loooot of real estate.  Technically they're a church/religion though, so even less oversight than a registered charity.

Also, the girl that originally ran it hired family and a boyfriend, if I remember correctly, to collect sizable salaries.  Another known "scam" a fair number of charities pull.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Reagan increased the national debt by a staggering 186% during his 8 years. Though to be fair he did get a lot of economic bang for his buck. The future next guy who raised taxes was his own VP George Bush Sr.

Yeah I dont mind a PM or President going into debt if the reason is an investment in infrastructure or growing select sectors of the economy, as most of the time we still see a positive return on investment over time, sometimes you dont see that return until the next guy takes over but that's politics. Currently both US and Canada have amassed large amounts of debt with a more short term approach, when both countries face a slew of major issues in the future that will need significant investment to overcome, the biggest being large aging populations.   

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah I dont mind a PM or President going into debt if the reason is an investment in infrastructure or growing select sectors of the economy, as most of the time we still see a positive return on investment over time, sometimes you dont see that return until the next guy takes over but that's politics. Currently both US and Canada have amassed large amounts of debt with a more short term approach, when both countries face a slew of major issues in the future that will need significant investment to overcome, the biggest being large aging populations.   

One of the main issues is that regular citizens think of national debt the way they think about household debt and it's not the same thing

• Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 2

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Finally! I can agree with your whole post! 😉

58 minutes ago, stawns said:

One of the main issues is that regular citizens think of national debt the way they think about household debt and it's not the same thing

But, politicians prey on that in order to do ‘kitchen table’ talks to acquire votes/power. 

Both sides. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Bingo. This statement so much.

6 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Excellent speech by Biden just now. The love of country and  nobility shone through. But I’m sure his detractors will pounce on every little misstep. 

Sure is a difference from the whining the maga's do.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Excellent speech by Biden just now. The love of country and  nobility shone through. But I’m sure his detractors will pounce on every little misstep. 

Didn’t see it but I take your word. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Mind finding a link to post for us? 

28 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

It was a good, speech, but I wouldn't say great.  He still sounded old and feeble........the content was good and he did a good job seizing the opportunity to lay out his record to the American public and giving Harris a solid push

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At least one Republican making sense,

.. and right to call for his Party to reset over the next 4 years and make greater inroads creating alliances,  and coming clean with constituents. 

oh ,  and he also is supporting Harris.

• Cheers 2

Good speech, credit to him and his writers.  His age is showing though, slurring in spots - and for others, I'm not sure if it was him having trouble keeping up with the teleprompter or his teleprompter not keeping up with him.  But the message was clear and I just hope there are enough people who will take his call to action and actually act on it.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, PistolPete13 said:

He looked pretty terrible to me.  Not sure what was up with the teleprompter and him looking away from the camera though.

In any event, they tossed him out like a slab of meat, so he doesn't need to worry about being re-elected any longer.  Bye Joe...

19 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

At least one Republican making sense,

.. and right to call for his Party to reset over the next 4 years and make greater inroads creating alliances,  and coming clean with constituents. 

oh ,  and he also is supporting Harris.

"Hey guys, everyone hates us, so can we just fuck off for a bit here?"

Finally, one of them makes sense.

Harris and Dems will be all over this idiot ,.

just wait till he gets sentenced,.  
he is beyond rehabilitation.

Lock him up .

Here’s a hypothetical question I have on the topic above ..

Does Biden not have the “Executive “ power to lock Trump up now because he could be, or is , a threat to he Nation?

Didnt SCOTUS recently move that way with a filling recently?

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1