US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

White officer guns down black lady in her own home. 

Dumbo’s response…. 

There goes the African American vote. 

spoken like a criminal and felon looking to get immunity .

how he is able to have any platform to speak from is beyond me .

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Lots of news stories about USA republican and evangelicals outrage and anger over the Paris olympics parody of the last supper with drag performers

that entire group is ok with adoltry, rapists , child molesters , child raping priests , letting poor people die with curable conditions ( no free healthcare for you ) and so much more …..  yet they draw a hard line at cakes for gay wedddings and drag performers doing a last supper parody … one that if you google a thousand different parodies exist ….. they are ok ….. its just vile if drag does it 

Becuase a rapist con ex resident and the Catholic Church have the moral high ground ? In a month of Sundays I couldn’t smoke enough hash to buy that crap lol 

Religious zealots with no sense of humour? You don't say. 

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Oh sure.  Neither the right or left are as extreme as they could be in the US.  Both are creeping more and more apart, but they have a ways to go before they hit a wall.

Also, I did another cross-out of my last post.  I'm answering you too quickly and changing my mind shortly after hitting the post button.  I need to slow down.... lol

I laugh as I see Biden promoting a judicial code of conduct for the Supreme Court. Not that the idea doesn't have merit but why not extend that throughout government service? It is well known that USA Congressional members are allowed to play the stock market while serving. What is not often known is that they predominantly 'short' the market. In essence they bet that stocks will drop on bad news. They profit as many Americans who work for shorted companies possibly lose their jobs. The negative context of shorting stocks has a higher, immediate return than does 'buy and hold' over the long term as those companies grow. So 

people can take comfort in thinking it is only Trump who is playing the system but in actuality it is the broad spectrum of politicians from both parties. It is a legalized form of thievery. How does American society not realize that such activity will permeate all of their institutions?

Does such behavior exist in Canada? Canadian politicians cannot play the stock market in an open manner. Their assets are supposed to be placed in blind trusts while they serve. But we know that distance can be nullified by intermediaries. Many examples of that. What is truly criminal is the graft and thievery in government contracting. It has gone on for decades and across all political parties. Until society decides to truly punish people who betray the public trust this will not change.     

• Cheers 3

31 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I laugh as I see Biden promoting a judicial code of conduct for the Supreme Court. Not that the idea doesn't have merit but why not extend that throughout government service? It is well known that USA Congressional members are allowed to play the stock market while serving. What is not often known is that they predominantly 'short' the market. In essence they bet that stocks will drop on bad news. They profit as many Americans who work for shorted companies possibly lose their jobs. The negative context of shorting stocks has a higher, immediate return than does 'buy and hold' over the long term as those companies grow. So 

people can take comfort in thinking it is only Trump who is playing the system but in actuality it is the broad spectrum of politicians from both parties. It is a legalized form of thievery. How does American society not realize that such activity will permeate all of their institutions?

Pretty sure they are very aware of what Congress gets away with.

31 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Does such behavior exist in Canada? Canadian politicians cannot play the stock market in an open manner. Their assets are supposed to be placed in blind trusts while they serve. But we know that distance can be nullified by intermediaries. Many examples of that. What is truly criminal is the graft and thievery in government contracting. It has gone on for decades and across all political parties. Until society decides to truly punish people who betray the public trust this will not change.     

Do you have any numbers to put to this government contracting issues you think permeates in Canada ? 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

He's like a drug addict he can't help himself. Same old boring recycled routine. If you're just going to do stand-up instead of policy could you maybe write some new 'jokes'?

Really don't think people attending a Bitcoin conference are going to be impressed by this. Especially after he spent the last 4 year shitting all over crypto.

I don't think it's possible for Trump to speak about Bitcoin and make any sense. It's complicated for anyone, never mind idiots like Dolt 45....

He probably thinks Blockchain is something that a lot of rappers wear....

• Haha 1

Mfkr..  this incident happened just days before Trumps comments:

READ THIS:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/27/us/sean-grayson-misconduct-sonya-massey-death/index.html

this is a tactic Trump will use to create his own Secret Police ..   that likens to 

the German SS .

IMMUNITY.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 2

Interesting development in the Kamala Harris Veepstakes....apparently the list has been narrowed down to three and there's a new contender....

Mark Kelly and Josh Shapiro are still front runners, but Minnesota Governor, Tim Walz is also being considered. I still think the likely order is Kelly, Shapiro, Walz, (and I'm pulling for Shapiro) but it's a bit of a new development.

• Thanks 4

12 hours ago, Sapper said:

Lots of news stories about USA republican and evangelicals outrage and anger over the Paris olympics parody of the last supper with drag performers

I’m so disgusted by the Olympics opening ceremony that as a boycott I will only be watching Women’s Beach Volleyball and nothing else!

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Sapper said:

Becuase a rapist con ex resident and the Catholic Church have the moral high ground ? In a month of Sundays I couldn’t smoke enough hash to buy that crap lol 

Thanks for typing it that way.

It will stick with me.

Church....you do not have the moral high ground.

Simple as that.  

Got no problem if you are spiritual, if you have faith... but F the big organised religions. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

18 minutes ago, bolt said:

Smart= remove assassination attempt on Google to "protect democracy"

Screenshot_20240728_093504_X.jpg

In season one of the Sopranos, there was an assassination attempt on Tony. He ended up up with bandage on his ear. Coincidence?

IMG_1687.jpeg

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, bolt said:

Smart= remove assassination attempt on Google to "protect democracy"

Screenshot_20240728_093504_X.jpg

I'll give you this one.

It is weird. I just tried it.

If you type out the whole thing, there is no prompt for assassinaton attempt of Trump from Google.

It prompts me for all types of searches that have a lot less press than the shooting obviously did.

Can any of the tech heads explain?

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'll give you this one.

If you type out the whole thing, there is no prompt for assassinaton attempt of Trump from Google.

It prompts me for all types of searches that have a lot less press than the shooting obviously did.

Could also be it wasn't a political assassination attempt, it was a shooting

22 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'll give you this one.

On the other hand, often when I google negative things about trump the same thing happens. Try trump insurrection. You get to about the s and suggestions disappear. 

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

Could also be it wasn't a political assassination attempt, it was a shooting

I would call it both.

Seems wierd to me. Google usually fills in it's 'guesses' for me over topics that are far less popular than a shooting at one of the most famous POTUS's ever. 

• Upvote 1