US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, RupertKBD said:

Obviously the deep state doesn't want anyone to know that someone tried to shoot Bone Spurs....:classic_rolleyes:

Maybe Google doesn't want to point people to 4chan. It's possible that the most activity for the trump search term points to shady sites.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I would call it both.

Seems wierd to me. Google usually fills in it's 'guesses' for me over topics that are far less popular than a shooting at one of the most famous POTUS's ever. 

I wouldnt call it an assassination at all......not a political one anyway

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I wouldnt call it an assassination at all......not a political one anyway

I dont know what to say. A politician got shot at.

But I think you might be suggesting...not politically motivated? i dunno.

Anyway what I was pointing out was the google search that Bolt mentioned. 

Not with the word 'political' in the search anyway. 

Just a search for 'assassinaton attempt of Trump', 

Rup jokes that its deep state, Bob thinks maybe google is protecting people from 4chan.

Either way, its weird. Just calling it as i see it.

Like last week when I was trying to point out Occam's razor.... - A kid shot at Trump and hit his ear. -An AR15 bullet would pierce and would likely not 'blow the ear off'.

And today, i am pointing out...that's weird of google. -That is not how it usually acts with popular news/info.

That's all.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I dont know what to say. A politician got shot at.

But I think you might be suggesting...not politically motivated? i dunno.

Anyway what I was pointing out was the google search that Bolt mentioned. 

Not with the word 'political' in the search anyway. 

Just a search for 'assassinaton attempt of Trump', 

Rup jokes that its deep state, Bob thinks maybe google is protecting people from 4chan.

Either way, its weird. Just calling it as i see it.

Like last week when I was trying to point out Occam's razor.... - A kid shot at Trump and hit his ear. -An AR15 bullet would pierce and would likely not 'blow the ear off'.

And today, i am pointing out...that's weird of google. -That is not how it usually acts with popular news/info.

That's all.

I don't think it was politically motivate, at all

Right now Pierre is doing a double take and hoping for a trump win

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-announces-plans-us-bitcoin-210041902.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cucmVkZGl0LmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAGUAs6hxDC4r6VdH0KE4J71Rn5RZKGGhQcQbW4XzKSIUO9KCh2FsCFxtexj0dVlOGTIvEdNLII_zpG5SELMYunpw0PtGO-kQmkDbG9dXV4S0AuqJQp_vUNm1ACXVvcHoYm68z6gFTkZxuIe4Aq9UipirY8QzIKI3cn1DKLVORw4w

Former President Donald Trump, now a candidate for the Republican presidential nomination, announced a new campaign promise for a U.S. strategic Bitcoin stockpile if re-elected. He promised that the country would never sell any of the bitcoin it currently holds.

"If I am elected it will be the policy of my administration, the United States of America to keep 100 percent of all the bitcoin the U.S. government currently holds or acquires into the future," he said. "This will serve in effect as the core of the strategic national Bitcoin stockpile."

45 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think it was politically motivate, at all

Ok, so I guessed correctly.

Wasn't debating that. From what I know the kid was into his politics but again, that was not my point.

The google search was what raised my eyebrows.

A google search that did not include the word 'political'

Just pointing out that google does not do it's usual predictive suggestions when you search for...'assassination attempt of trump'

( it does do it now for me, as i have searched the entire sentence earlier today'

i was looking for a tech response for what this could be. So far I've only seen 'deep state jokes and a suggestion of google manipulating the 'narrative' as the kids say these days. 

18 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Ok, so I guessed correctly.

Wasn't debating that. From what I know the kid was into his politics but again, that was not my point.

The google search was what raised my eyebrows.

A google search that did not include the word 'political'

Just pointing out that google does not do it's usual predictive suggestions when you search for...'assassination attempt of trump'

( it does do it now for me, as i have searched the entire sentence earlier today'

i was looking for a tech response for what this could be. So far I've only seen 'deep state jokes and a suggestion of google manipulating the 'narrative' as the kids say these days. 

Anything negatively politically charged seems to require you to fully enter your query. I think you can infer what I was googling in each case. Sorry for not cropping the images. Don't have time atm.

Screenshot_20240728_152229_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240728_152239_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240728_152259_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240728_152304_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240728_152318_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240728_152357_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240728_152432_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Anything negatively politically charged seems to require you to fully enter your query. I think you can infer what I was googling in each case. Sorry for not cropping the images. Don't have time atm.

Thanks, that could be it.

It was suggesting all sorts of other assassination attempts but didnt suggest Trump's at all. I had to type the whole sentence.

Not a big thing, dont think it is a conspiracy, but was curious. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

If it were up to me, and it isn't, I'd run Pete as Vice-President. He does his homework, he's never at a loss for words and he is fearless in the face of MAGA news media that he routinely buries. Don't know if anyone has noticed, but since Kamala became the presumptive nominee, Mayor Pete is everywhere and is a regular on Fox News, pushing back and setting the record straight. Maybe by 2032 he'll be the Democratic nominee for President.

• Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

If it were up to me, and it isn't, I'd run Pete as Vice-President. He does his homework, he's never at a loss for words and he is fearless in the face of MAGA news media that he routinely buries. Don't know if anyone has noticed, but since Kamala became the presumptive nominee, Mayor Pete is everywhere and is a regular on Fox News, pushing back and setting the record straight. Maybe by 2032 he'll be the Democratic nominee for President.

I'm not going to suggest whether or not they should (and I'll be the first to admit that I don't follow American politics all that closely, especially at the state or city level) but just from past practice, when was the last time a presidential candidate had a VP candidate on their ticket that outshone them during campaigning?

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Right now Pierre is doing a double take and hoping for a trump win

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-announces-plans-us-bitcoin-210041902.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cucmVkZGl0LmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAGUAs6hxDC4r6VdH0KE4J71Rn5RZKGGhQcQbW4XzKSIUO9KCh2FsCFxtexj0dVlOGTIvEdNLII_zpG5SELMYunpw0PtGO-kQmkDbG9dXV4S0AuqJQp_vUNm1ACXVvcHoYm68z6gFTkZxuIe4Aq9UipirY8QzIKI3cn1DKLVORw4w

Former President Donald Trump, now a candidate for the Republican presidential nomination, announced a new campaign promise for a U.S. strategic Bitcoin stockpile if re-elected. He promised that the country would never sell any of the bitcoin it currently holds.

"If I am elected it will be the policy of my administration, the United States of America to keep 100 percent of all the bitcoin the U.S. government currently holds or acquires into the future," he said. "This will serve in effect as the core of the strategic national Bitcoin stockpile."

If you have a type of currency, supposedly of value, but promise to never sell it, doesn't it become worthless?

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

If you have a type of currency, supposedly of value, but promise to never sell it, doesn't it become worthless?

It becomes dead weight.  Kind of like when you go into a chronic hoarder's home, and you find miscellaneous stuff blocking the passageways becoming obstacles when trying to escape from fire, flooding, collapse, or other emergency requiring evacuation of the residence.

(Of course, if you sell it, then you're basically admitting you lied.  :hurhur: )

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

I like Pete a lot but I'm concerned the US is still too homophobic.

• Cheers 3

22 hours ago, kilgore said:

But his denial and then pandering to conspiracy theorists about vaccines, killed twice as many citizens per capita as other western nations who handled the pandemic in a medical science based procedure.

The vaccines were developed by "Operation Warp Speed", a Trump initiative. You have Donald Trump to thank for Covid vaccines. Also, the virus had much higher danger to people who are obese, so a country like the USA was always going to fare poorly.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Xanlet said:

The vaccines were developed by "Operation Warp Speed", a Trump initiative. You have Donald Trump to thank for Covid vaccines. Also, the virus had much higher danger to people who are obese, so a country like the USA was always going to fare poorly.

No, they were not "developed" by that program.

https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-21-319

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 2

2 hours ago, Xanlet said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/operation-warp-speed-trump-pfizer-moderna-vaccine-1.5806820

While Goodman said Operation Warp Speed is certainly a success, he criticized the Trump administration for being in denial about the pandemic and downplaying its seriousness. Indeed, getting OWS off the ground was done in anything but warp speed, he said.

It took months, he said, before the U.S. government got investing in vaccines in earnest. 

"Can you imagine where we could have been had these billions of additional dollars and investment had started kicking in January?" he said.

"I think we could be significantly further along if there hadn't been that really kind of desire to just wish the pandemic away."

Operation Warp Speed may have been one of the very few things that the former guy tried to do right. But this came after he'd scared the bejesus out of his chicken little supporters already.   He pandered to the dumbest, most frightened conspiracy theorists in his base.

First the virus was nothing and would go away in 15 days. No need for precautions, masks, distancing.  In fact he made fun of those who did use precautions.

(Even though he was lying about that too, as the Woodward tapes revealed he actually was worried about it)

Then it was that we didn't need vaccines, that other methods like Hydroxychloroquine or injecting bleach could work.

All of that pandering to the stupidest in his base, (which makes up the majority of his base).  Resulted in the US having twice the death rate of other western countries, like Canada and the EU.  And golly gee wouldn't you know it....

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/people-in-republican-counties-have-higher-death-rates-than-those-in-democratic-counties/

People in Republican Counties Have Higher Death Rates Than Those in Democratic Counties

A growing mortality gap between Republican and Democratic areas may largely stem from policy choices

But yeah good for you!  You found the one thing that Donald Trump did for someone other than himself.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

NEW POLL: Kamala Harris’ Popularity Soars 8 Points in Single Week — Now Has +1 Favorability Rating Compared to Trump’s -16

https://www.mediaite.com/news/new-poll-kamala-harris-popularity-soars-8-points-in-single-week-now-has-1-favorability-rating-compared-to-trumps-16/

oh boy ..   go girl!

only just getting started ,

• Cheers 1