US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Detaching from Trump..

these guys are seriously worried about their careers now ..

The damage , and time they wasted aiding and abiding that Felon should cost them the seats they hold .    No forgiveness.

• Cheers 1

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-may-replace-jd-vance-within-10-days-chuck-schumer-1931248

Following reports that Donald Trump may have regrets picking Ohio Senator JD Vance as his running mate, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, a New York Democrat, said on Sunday that the former president may replace him within 10 days.

Reports have emerged that Trump, the GOP presidential nominee, may regret picking Vance as his vice presidential candidate amid President Joe Biden dropping out of the race and endorsing Vice President Kamala Harris for president in this year's election.

In addition, speculation has continued grow as the senator has been met with backlash and bad press amid resurfaced remarks in which he said the United States is run by "childless cat ladies" during an interview with Fox News in 2021.

However, those reports have continued to be denied by Trump's campaign and Trump himself.

Trump's communications director, Steven Cheung, denied the reports in a statement to Newsweek on Tuesday, "President Trump is thrilled with the choice he made with Senator Vance, and they are the perfect team to take back the White House. And any reporting to the contrary is nothing but ridiculous fake news from either nonexistent sources or individuals who have no idea what's going on. Meanwhile, Democrats are in complete disarray after their coup that forcibly removed Biden from the campaign, proving they are the real threats to democracy."

In an appearance on CBS News' Face the Nation, Schumer spoke on Sunday about the recent addition of Vance as Trump's running mate.

"The addition of JD Vance to this ticket is incredibly a bad choice. I think Donald Trump, I know him and I think he's probably sitting and watching the TV and everyday it comes out Vance has done something more extreme, more weird, more erratic. And I bet Trump is sitting there scratching his head and wondering why did I pick this guy," Schumer said.

• Cheers 3

How are people supposed to consume media with any confidence that they are getting the straight goods? Conventional media's business plans are failing and their ability to research and maintain factual articles has been compromised. More about clicks to generate revenue. Extreme views generate more clicks.  

Trump: Cannot communicate a consistent message. If he devalues the American $ as suggested he will undermine that dollar as the world's reserve currency. His 2nd term will not have the fiscal capability that his 1st term had. Scare tactics being used to discredit Trump are overstated or at least I hope so. 

Harris: Younger and with experience in government. Part of the Biden admin that has defended Ukraine which was critical. Also part of the admin that has not secured the Mexican border and that is not popular with voters. The GOP did not support the border bill because it did not stop the possible flow of migrants. Why do the Democrats want to keep the border open? I suspect for the same reasons Canada does. The demographic does not support economic growth without more labor. A realistic assessment but poorly implemented and communicated. On the economic front the Democrats flooded money into the economy during Covid and the USA has rebounded well. My reservation about Harris is her progressive leanings. Progressive thought usually means unfunded spending which is an indirect tax on future generations. I lean toward Harris support for what we know and what we don't know about Trump.

The Harris VP choice will be important. Biden came into his presidency talking about uniting the country and he failed to do that. We already know that Trump is not a unifier. What will Harris do?  Trump's bench strength seems to be weak IMHO. Harris actually has a number of people she can call on inside the party and outside. 

I liked Mike Pompeo and Anthony Blinken as Secretarys of State. Both have done/did good jobs. Also like Larry Somers as an economist with a good grasp of the world economy. I believe he was in the Obama admin.  

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-may-replace-jd-vance-within-10-days-chuck-schumer-1931248

Following reports that Donald Trump may have regrets picking Ohio Senator JD Vance as his running mate, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, a New York Democrat, said on Sunday that the former president may replace him within 10 days.

Reports have emerged that Trump, the GOP presidential nominee, may regret picking Vance as his vice presidential candidate amid President Joe Biden dropping out of the race and endorsing Vice President Kamala Harris for president in this year's election.

In addition, speculation has continued grow as the senator has been met with backlash and bad press amid resurfaced remarks in which he said the United States is run by "childless cat ladies" during an interview with Fox News in 2021.

However, those reports have continued to be denied by Trump's campaign and Trump himself.

Trump's communications director, Steven Cheung, denied the reports in a statement to Newsweek on Tuesday, "President Trump is thrilled with the choice he made with Senator Vance, and they are the perfect team to take back the White House. And any reporting to the contrary is nothing but ridiculous fake news from either nonexistent sources or individuals who have no idea what's going on. Meanwhile, Democrats are in complete disarray after their coup that forcibly removed Biden from the campaign, proving they are the real threats to democracy."

In an appearance on CBS News' Face the Nation, Schumer spoke on Sunday about the recent addition of Vance as Trump's running mate.

"The addition of JD Vance to this ticket is incredibly a bad choice. I think Donald Trump, I know him and I think he's probably sitting and watching the TV and everyday it comes out Vance has done something more extreme, more weird, more erratic. And I bet Trump is sitting there scratching his head and wondering why did I pick this guy," Schumer said.

He can't, Vance is the official nominee voted for by the delegates 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

55 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

This was awesome. He said all my quite thoughts out loud about all those morons. 

I agree MSB,.   

perhaps one voice of the “silent majority “ who choose to mind their own business..

Some will label it “woke” ..  and in reflection ,

perhaps it is ..    do not wake a sleeping dragon..    you don’t get burned,

you get incarcerated or incinerated.

More U.S. disruption,.   The more I see what RuZZia is doing to upset the balance or democracies and their systems in the World ..

I would not doubt they are involved with this :

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/29/politics/voter-rolls-ballot-challenges-true-the-vote-elections/index.html

Should be jail time .

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

iirc sometime this month, someone on this thread posted a 'parody' song; and for some reason part of the lyric is stuck in my head.

does anyone remember this, and roughly what page it would be on.

all that keeps playing in my head is 'trending on ticktok"

Driving me crazy- and that is a very short drive; many days I don't even need to get in the car.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

iirc sometime this month, someone on this thread posted a 'parody' song; and for some reason part of the lyric is stuck in my head.

does anyone remember this, and roughly what page it would be on.

all that keeps playing in my head is 'trending on ticktok"

Driving me crazy- and that is a very short drive; many days I don't even need to get in the car.

was it an Abba song / reinvented?

18 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

If it were up to me, and it isn't, I'd run Pete as Vice-President. He does his homework, he's never at a loss for words and he is fearless in the face of MAGA news media that he routinely buries. Don't know if anyone has noticed, but since Kamala became the presumptive nominee, Mayor Pete is everywhere and is a regular on Fox News, pushing back and setting the record straight. Maybe by 2032 he'll be the Democratic nominee for President.

I don't know if America's ready to vote in a black woman/gay man ticket. Pete's still so relatively young they might be earmarking him for a presidential run in '28 or '32 anyway. Running him as the VP now could squash those plans before they even start if a Kamala/Pete ticket were to lose. Kelly and Shapiro both help to balance a Kamala Harris-led ticket but I don't know if either have them have the POTUS potential that Pete has.

• Like 2

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2024/07/29/fact-sheet-president-biden-announces-bold-plan-to-reform-the-supreme-court-and-ensure-no-president-is-above-the-law/

FACT SHEET: President Biden Announces Bold Plan to Reform the Supreme Court and Ensure No President Is Above the Law

From his first day in office—and every day since then—President Biden has taken action to strengthen American democracy and protect the rule of law.

In recent years, the Supreme Court has overturned long-established legal precedents protecting fundamental rights. This Court has gutted civil rights protections, taken away a woman’s right to choose, and now granted Presidents broad immunity from prosecution for crimes they commit in office.

At the same time, recent ethics scandals involving some Justices have caused the public to question the fairness and independence that are essential for the Court to faithfully carry out its mission to deliver justice for all Americans.

President Biden believes that no one—neither the President nor the Supreme Court—is above the law.

In the face of this crisis of confidence in America’s democratic institutions, President Biden is calling for three bold reforms to restore trust and accountability:

1. No Immunity for Crimes a Former President Committed in Office: President Biden shares the Founders’ belief that the President’s power is limited—not absolute—and must ultimately reside with the people. He is calling for a constitutional amendment that makes clear no President is above the law or immune from prosecution for crimes committed while in office. This No One Is Above the Law Amendment will state that the Constitution does not confer any immunity from federal criminal indictment, trial, conviction, or sentencing by virtue of previously serving as President.
  1. Term Limits for Supreme Court Justices: Congress approved term limits for the Presidency over 75 years ago, and President Biden believes they should do the same for the Supreme Court. The United States is the only major constitutional democracy that gives lifetime seats to its high court Justices. Term limits would help ensure that the Court’s membership changes with some regularity; make timing for Court nominations more predictable and less arbitrary; and reduce the chance that any single Presidency imposes undue influence for generations to come. President Biden supports a system in which the President would appoint a Justice every two years to spend eighteen years in active service on the Supreme Court.
  1. Binding Code of Conduct for the Supreme Court: President Biden believes that Congress should pass binding, enforceable conduct and ethics rules that require Justices to disclose gifts, refrain from public political activity, and recuse themselves from cases in which they or their spouses have financial or other conflicts of interest. Supreme Court Justices should not be exempt from the enforceable code of conduct that applies to every other federal judge.

President Biden and Vice President Harris look forward to working with Congress and empowering the American people to prevent the abuse of Presidential power, restore faith in the Supreme Court, and strengthen the guardrails of democracy. President Biden thanks the Presidential Commission on the Supreme Court of the United States for its insightful analysis of Supreme Court reform proposals. The Administration will continue its work to ensure that no one is above the law – and in America, the people rule.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't see any way of getting those measures through Congress, or the Senate....

Unless the plan is to force Repugs into voting against it and give the Dems more ammunition for the election? :classic_unsure:

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I don't see any way of getting those measures through Congress, or the Senate....

Unless the plan is to force Repugs into voting against it and give the Dems more ammunition for the election? :classic_unsure:

It's a win either way.

20 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Joe is feeling thre freedom of a Pres who knows he's at the end of his run.