US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Who needs fraud when you can have Elon Muskovite in your corner?:

Further to this, Georgia has set up a website where voters who have "moved" can remove themselves from the voter rolls.

What do you think bad actors would do if they had access to the above information on Georgia voters?

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

If Rupe's assertion below is correct:

...then the rage they're trying to provoke is misplaced.  It should fall squarely on the controls that the elections office should have in GA (and other states) to do their due diligence in determining of someone who registers as a voter has the necessary requirements to become a voter.  Sure, it sucks that there are people looking the defraud the system, but it happens everywhere and it's incumbent upon the agency delivering the election to ensure it's fair.

I agree 100%.  This falls squarely on government inaction.  That's my anger with the whole thing.  Georgia has no excuse especially.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Yet another solid intelligent argument against the issue.  You are 2 for 2!!!

Solid.....and correct. You've had to backtrack after posting questionable content several times. I think this is another.

Just now, RupertKBD said:

Solid.....and correct. You've had to backtrack after posting questionable content several times. I think this is another.

3 for 3 baby!  I'm going to have to find a meme with that wrestling commentator's with the cowboy hat's voice.  You're on fire with the solid arguments!!

Ok.  Serious talk...  I've talked about this before.  I don't think the illegal voting problem is anywhere near as big as the Republicans want to claim it is, but it's definitely a growing problem.

It's also not as small as the Democrats want to claim.

It's exacerbated by the fact that a sitting US Senator is going to put forward a bill that legalizes millions of the illegal immigrants.  That is short term ballot stuffing, until the time inevitably comes that they start to vote the other way, then you end up with a cycle that us citizens have to deal with.

15 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I wouldn't just attack the source

Your source needs to be attacked.

I ask you again...

They call it staggering at 14%....but how big is the sample size? numerous? ( how many is that?)

And you talk about a narrative, but without any data....what is the source you are posting doing?

Then for some posters to point out those behind this (heritage foundation have some motives)...  you get defensive?

I read that 'noncitizen voting is a centerpiece of 2024 GOP messaging' 

So, I feel there may be a promoted narrative...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Meanwhile, also in Georgia:

https://www.apmreports.org/story/2018/10/19/georgia-voter-purge

Sorry.  I only just now noticed this post.  I'm multi-tasking while posting.

Georgia is a purple state that still leans a bit right.  It's not surprising that they purge their rolls of illegals. 

However, I am way more worried about the long term affect of opening the borders in order to create cheap labour and manufacture votes.  Short term, that helps the Democrats.  Long term that will benefit Republicans.  We've watched the Republicans play the long game.  That's how they now, more or less, control state governors mansions and the federal judiciary.

I'm more concerned long term than I am short term.  Short term, I don't like the given choice from either party so I am way more interested in keeping the government split.

Edited by Sabrefan1
typo

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Your source needs to be attacked.

I ask you again...

They call it staggering at 14%....but how big is the sample size? numerous? ( how many is that?)

And you talk about a narrative, but without any data....what is the source you are posting doing?

Then for some posters to point out those behind this (heritage foundation have some motives)...  you get defensive?

I read that 'noncitizen voting is a centerpiece of 2024 GOP messaging' 

So, I feel there may be a promoted narrative...

Valid arguments!  Thank you!

I'm not hanging my hat on just the video.  I published it more because I'm astonished how brazen illegal immigrants have become.  That can't be good.

It's not just the voting issue that a centrepiece for the GOP, it's immigration as a whole.  Along with the economy, those are the top 2 voter issues as shown by numerous polls.

Faux News was just stumping this morning on the economy.  The GOP is playing the odds.

19 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Ok.  Serious talk...  I've talked about this before.  I don't think the illegal voting problem is anywhere near as big as the Republicans want to claim it is, but it's definitely a growing problem.

It's also not as small as the Democrats want to claim.

It's exacerbated by the fact that a sitting US Senator is going to put forward a bill that legalizes millions of the illegal immigrants.  That is short term ballot stuffing, until the time inevitably comes that they start to vote the other way, then you end up with a cycle that us citizens have to deal with.

So there's something I don't understand, how does anyone know who the immigrants are voting for? 

• Cheers 1

Someone, moments ago, asked a question, I thought note worthy.............

How does the US economy work with no illegal immigrants, working the low paying jobs, in Agriculture, food services, golf courses, janitorial, and manual labor, etc. IMO, it would cause mass inflation, in those area's, as there would be a shortage of workers. Especially today, when no one wants to work!

Could you imagine, no apples, oranges, carrots, grapes, peaches, etc coming out of Florida or California for that matter! How would Mar-a-Lago function?

Just a thought........

How many are we actually talking about in the USA?

Edited by JIAHN
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

It's not just the voting issue that a centrepiece for the GOP, it's immigration as a whole

Immigration as a whole?

Not the illegal immigration?...which I thought both parties were concerned about? Didn't Biden try to do that border bill that Trump nuked?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JIAHN said:

How does the US economy work with no illegal immigrants, working the low paying jobs,

Say goodbye to the great California wines. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, JIAHN said:

Someone, moments ago, asked a question, I thought note worthy.............

How does the US economy work with no illegal immigrants, working the low paying jobs, in Agriculture, food services, golf courses, janitorial, and manual labor, etc. IMO, it would cause mass inflation, in those area's, as there would be a shortage of workers. Especially today, when no one wants to work!

Could you imagine, no apples, oranges, carrots, grapes, peaches, etc coming out of Florida or California for that matter! How would Mar-a-Lago function?

Just a thought........

The US absolutely needs immigration.  Nobody here argues against that.  The problem is just letting anyone in.  We need a better way than the one that we have now.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Immigration as a whole?

Not the illegal immigration?...which I thought both parties were concerned about? Didn't Biden try to do that border bill that Trump nuked?

Yeah.  The GOP isn't innocent.  They played politics with that bill.  That's one of the many reasons why Congress is almost at single digit approval ratings.

The US absolutely needs immigration.  Nobody here argues against that.  The problem is just letting anyone in.  We need a better way than the one that we have now.

I totally agree, but what Republicans won't talk about is the what if Trump sends them all home......never mind the property owners that have vacant properties.......de-inflation in that case!

• Cheers 1

Does BC have good wineries?  I'm not a wine drinker, but I've been considering buying and sampling some sweet reds.  Any suggestions?

BC has some very good wineries.......

The Okanagan wines are great, and there is a small but growing group producing great wines off of Vancouver Island....all worthy of "tastes" LOL

Edited by JIAHN
  • Cheers 1

Yeah.  The GOP isn't innocent.  They played politics with that bill.  That's one of the many reasons why Congress is almost at single digit approval ratings.

Are they against all immigration? or did you mean illegals?