US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

54 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm going with "Ignore". It's a bullshit video from a group associated with the Heritage Foundation.

So fill me in…what exactly about Muckraker.com makes you think it’s bullshit?

IMG_1680.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I wouldn't just attack the source.  That's not a solid argument.  This has been a valid concern in the US for many years. 

When I lived in the Southwest, I was still in my 20's and knew I'd likely move back to Buffalo, so I rented.  The final place I rented an apartment at was eventually bought by a small company that was only interested in maximizing profit, so they told the complex manager to keep the fill rate high.  So she started to rent to illegal immigrants.  The head maintenance guy who was the complex manager's husband told me that they were even afraid to open their doors for fear that they'd get turned into immigration.  That's obviously no longer the case in the US, since these illegals were more than happy to admit that they were breaking the law.

I'm not nailing just the one party because the other party wants the cheap labour, but doesn't want to accept the risk of getting voted against.

As I predicted months and months ago, the one party has already suggested making the recent rush of millions of immigrants, citizens.  It will boost their voter numbers until they inevitably start voting for the other party.  South American people are preferential towards hard line leaders and the other party fits that bill.

I questioned rather than attacked.  They may be telling the truth but it seems me they don't always do and often when telling a truth they stretch it as far as possible. That was my point. Just give me more and from more sources.   

Yes, this is an issue.  I do not deny that nor do I think that non citizens should vote.   The sometimes trustworthy Wikipedia does not see it as a big issue.

Illegal non-citizen voting is considered extremely rare in the United States due to the severe penalties associated with the practice including deportation, incarceration or fines in addition to jeopardizing their attempt to naturalize.[99][100][101] Since the federal form to register a voter does not require proof of citizenship,[99] some commentators, including Hans von Spakovsky, have claimed that illegal voting by non-citizens is a threat.[102] Non-citizens have been found to vote only in very small numbers.[103] In a 1996 congressional race between Bob Dornan and Loretta Sanchez, an investigation by the House Oversight Committee found that 624 non-citizens had voted in a race that was decided by 979 votes.[104

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Does BC have good wineries?  I'm not a wine drinker, but I've been considering buying and sampling some sweet reds.  Any suggestions?

The "bold" reds aren't quite there yet, but the "fruity" reds are getting there.  Especially the Pinot Noirs.

Don't buy wines from the 2024 season though.  The grapes are more than likely going to be imported because of our weather situation killing off most of the local grapes.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Satchmo said:

I questioned rather than attacked.  They may be telling the truth but it seems me they don't always do and often when telling a truth they stretch it as far as possible. That was my point. Just give me more and from more sources.   

Yes, this is an issue.  I do not deny that nor do I think that non citizens should vote.   The sometimes trustworthy Wikipedia does not see it as a big issue.

Illegal non-citizen voting is considered extremely rare in the United States due to the severe penalties associated with the practice including deportation, incarceration or fines in addition to jeopardizing their attempt to naturalize.[99][100][101] Since the federal form to register a voter does not require proof of citizenship,[99] some commentators, including Hans von Spakovsky, have claimed that illegal voting by non-citizens is a threat.[102] Non-citizens have been found to vote only in very small numbers.[103] In a 1996 congressional race between Bob Dornan and Loretta Sanchez, an investigation by the House Oversight Committee found that 624 non-citizens had voted in a race that was decided by 979 votes.[104

I know.  I'm just hyped up on coffee right now.  Started drinking it again because I've been having a tougher time getting going in the morning.

The video just had me surprised with their brazenness.  In 20 years, a lot has changed.  I'm still gobsmacked that people freely admit they're illegal immigrants.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The "bold" reds aren't quite there yet, but the "fruity" reds are getting there.  Especially the Pinot Noirs.

Don't buy wines from the 2024 season though.  The grapes are more than likely going to be imported because of our weather situation killing off most of the local grapes.

Thanks.  I'm not even going to try any whites this time around.  I doubt I will ever get enjoyment out of anything dry. 

When I visit people for dinner, I go to a liquor store and basically buy a moderately priced bottle of wine and hope I haven't chosen poorly... lol

5 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

California will always have an open border... lol

Same question from above to you about the red wines.

Cali has better reds than BC. The Zins are the best in the world.

What do you mean for sweet...like, real sweet? was have some late harvest stuff...

https://eatmagazine.ca/wines-of-worth-bc-sweet-wines/

5 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Thanks.  I'll do some research and see if I can get something shipped over the border.

Here is just one site, I found on Internationally Award winning BC wines......

https://www.chardonnay-du-monde.com/wod/WebObjects/Result.woa/wa/res?mod=pays&c=CANADA&y=2024&co=CdM&m=*&lang=AG

2 of the 5 Gold winning wines are from the Okanagan (BC)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Cali has better reds than BC. The Zins are the best in the world.

What do you mean for sweet...like, real sweet? was have some late harvest stuff...

https://eatmagazine.ca/wines-of-worth-bc-sweet-wines/

Not quite Kool-aid for adults sweet, but sweet enough to get acclimated to the taste of wine.  When I try to get into wines, I usually don't enjoy it enough to bother to get acclimated to it.

I gave up beer and liquor about 20 years ago, but I wouldn't mind socially drinking wine.

6 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I know.  I'm just hyped up on coffee right now.  Started drinking it again because I've been having a tougher time getting going in the morning.

The video just had me surprised with their brazenness.  In 20 years, a lot has changed.  I'm still gobsmacked that people freely admit they're illegal immigrants.

Well, do we know that they are? What's the proof? 

In today's era of bullshit it's important to know whats real.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I'd like to see the methodology... seems pretty risky to me for a non citizen to respond. 

Most polls are  over the phone.  I'm one of the dummies who used to take them.  I stopped taking them when scam robocalls became a big thing.  Now I rarely answer a number that I don't recognize.

4 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Thanks.  I'm not even going to try any whites this time around.  I doubt I will ever get enjoyment out of anything dry. 

When I visit people for dinner, I go to a liquor store and basically buy a moderately priced bottle of wine and hope I haven't chosen poorly... lol

You'd be missing out on a lot if you knock BC white wines off your list - I used to be a red wine drinker but now I find I appreciate the local white wines more.  Especially if you go for a BC Pinot Gris, Gewurztraminer, or other fruity white (and by fruity, I don't mean super-sweet either - just that their notes of fruit are more pronounced, like grapefruit or lychee on the palate).

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Sorry.  I only just now noticed this post.  I'm multi-tasking while posting.

Georgia is a purple state that still leans a bit right.  It's not surprising that they purge their rolls of illegals. 

However, I am way more worried about the long term affect of opening the borders in order to create cheap labour and manufacture votes.  Short term, that helps the Democrats.  Long term that will benefit Republicans.  We've watched the Republicans play the long game.  That's how they now, more or less, control state governors mansions and the federal judiciary.

I'm more concerned long term than I am short term.  Short term, I don't like the given choice from either party so I am way more interested in keeping the government split.

They're not just purging "illegals".....

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Well, do we know that they are? What's the proof? 

In today's era of bullshit it's important to know whats real.

You'd have to go to the same place they did to know for sure. 

If those people are smart though, they better move away before Georgia sends law enforcement their way if that video becomes popular.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

You'd be missing out on a lot if you knock BC white wines off your list - I used to be a red wine drinker but now I find I appreciate the local white wines more.  Especially if you go for a BC Pinot Gris, Gewurztraminer, or other fruity white (and by fruity, I don't mean super-sweet either - just that their notes of fruit are more pronounced, like grapefruit or lychee on the palate).

Next time I'm on the expressway and there isn't a line at the border, I'll have to visit the duty free shop in Ontario and see if they have any BC wines I can purchase.

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

They're not just purging "illegals".....

I don't doubt it.  Like I said Georgia may be purple but they still lean red and will play sh*tty games to try and get an advantage.  It's a one-up thing in this country that is only going to get worse.

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Next time I'm on the expressway and there isn't a line at the border, I'll have to visit the duty free shop in Ontario and see if they have any BC wines I can purchase.

:classic_laugh:

Good luck - the wine snobs in Ontario (because they have their own wine industry) are unlikely to carry much BC wine.  If you'd like, we can take this to this site's messaging service and I can give you some recommendations for direct order from the wineries here that I happen to find enjoyable products.  :classic_wink:

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I don't doubt it.  Like I said Georgia may be purple but they still lean red and will play sh*tty games to try and get an advantage.  It's a one-up thing in this country that is only going to get worse.

There's a story I read earlier today about shenanigans that Kemp pulled before the 2018 vote. I haven't been able to find it again, but if I do, I'll post it.

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You will learn that Canada has some truly weird laws that prohibit wine from one province being sold in another.  It may be available there but only in the import section.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Good luck - the wine snobs in Ontario (because they have their own wine industry) are unlikely to carry much BC wine.  If you'd like, we can take this to this site's messaging service and I can give you some recommendations for direct order from the wineries here that I happen to find enjoyable products.  :classic_wink:

Sure send me a DM.  I've still got to check out and see if NY law allows alcohol imports.  They didn't used to, but my knowledge on that is pre-internet.  It may have changed since then.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I hear the Chateau' de Spuzzum is very good this week....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

There's a story I read earlier today about shenanigans that Kemp pulled before the 2018 vote. I haven't been able to find it again, but if I do, I'll post it.

Thanks.  Our politicians are like kids hitting each other.  Every blow against one gets answered by a harder blow until someone gets hurt.  In this game, it's US citizens that will get hurt.  I've been watching the illegal immigrant situation play out in NYC.  They've now taken to destroying unregistered mopeds because illegals were using them as getaway vehicles in both armed and non-armed robberies.

4 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

You will learn that Canada has some truly weird laws that prohibit wine from one province being sold in another.  It may be available there but only in the import section.

Huh.  I have a feeling between provincial and NYS laws, I'm gonna get boned in my quest... lol

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Are they against all immigration? or did you mean illegals?

Sorry to you too.  I was going through my notifications and only now just saw this 35 minutes later

The GOP?  They're against mostly illegal immigration.  Partially because it's believed to be a short-term ballot stuffing move and partially because it's a hammer to hit the Democrats with while they are stumping in their speeches.

The GOP aren't as concerned as they pretend to be or they wouldn't have played politics with the recent border bill. 

I'm concerned with it because just letting in a flood of millions of unchecked people has consequences.  NYC is finding that out the hard way and in their idiocy are handling the situation poorly.

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Thanks 1