US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Sorry to you too.  I was going through my notifications and only now just saw this 35 minutes later

The GOP?  They're against mostly illegal immigration.  Partially because it's believed to be a short-term ballot stuffing move and partially because it's a hammer to hit the Democrats with while they are stumping in their speeches.

The GOP aren't as concerned as they pretend to be or they wouldn't have played politics with the recent border bill. 

I'm concerned with it because just letting in a flood of millions of unchecked people has consequences.  NYC is finding that out the hard way and in their idiocy are handling the situation poorly.

There is no GOP, there's just Trump and his minions. They say they are totally in favour of legal immigration but reality is another thing. ....

President Trump Reduced Legal Immigration. He Did Not Reduce Illegal Immigration

President Trump entered the White House with the goal of reducing legal immigration by 63 percent. Trump was wildly successful in reducing legal immigration. By November 2020, the Trump administration reduced the number of green cards issued to people abroad by at least 418,453 and the number of non-immigrant visas by at least 11,178,668 during his first term through November 2020. President Trump also entered the White House with the goal of eliminating illegal immigration but Trump oversaw a virtual collapse in interior immigration enforcement and the stabilization of the illegal immigrant population. Thus, Trump succeeded in reduce legal immigration and failed to eliminate illegal immigration.

More of the article and some graphs can be found here ........ https://www.cato.org/blog/president-trump-reduced-legal-immigration-he-did-not-reduce-illegal-immigration

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

There is no GOP, there's just Trump and his minions. They say they are totally in favour of legal immigration but reality is another thing. ....

President Trump Reduced Legal Immigration. He Did Not Reduce Illegal Immigration

President Trump entered the White House with the goal of reducing legal immigration by 63 percent. Trump was wildly successful in reducing legal immigration. By November 2020, the Trump administration reduced the number of green cards issued to people abroad by at least 418,453 and the number of non-immigrant visas by at least 11,178,668 during his first term through November 2020. President Trump also entered the White House with the goal of eliminating illegal immigration but Trump oversaw a virtual collapse in interior immigration enforcement and the stabilization of the illegal immigrant population. Thus, Trump succeeded in reduce legal immigration and failed to eliminate illegal immigration.

More of the article and some graphs can be found here ........ https://www.cato.org/blog/president-trump-reduced-legal-immigration-he-did-not-reduce-illegal-immigration

Don't let the GOP off the hook.  They'd been playing games with immigration well before Trump and will after Trump.  If it ever becomes an advantage for them to open up the borders, they will without a care about how people will have to deal with it.

5 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I honestly have no idea what he's talking about.

He's been this way for years.  It's just getting more noticeable as he ages.  As you age, your brain doesn't fire as fast as it once did.  Now his brain has a tougher time keeping up with his unfiltered mouth.

We all knew this was a done deal for some time.  The online process isn't finished until Monday, but she has secured the delegates.  

https://apnews.com/article/kamala-harris-nomination-dnc-463d0b8095f2ca3526b3af3a2f44c3ca

Harris has secured enough Democratic delegate votes to be the party’s nominee, committee chair says

4 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Don't let the GOP off the hook.  They'd been playing games with immigration well before Trump and will after Trump.  If it ever becomes an advantage for them to open up the borders, they will without a care about how people will have to deal with it.

If the GOP were serious about stopping illegal immigration when a meat processing plant is raided by ICE and all the illegals rounded up they'd push for the plant owner and operators to also be arrested and prosecuted for breaking the law. Otherwise they just hire another batch of illegals and round and round it goes.

But of course it's not wise to arrest your donors.

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

There is no "open border".  Obama deported more people in each of his terms than TRUMP did.  If it wasn't for Covid, Biden could have easily surpassed TRUMP as well.  The Senate bill would have increased funding for border services and immigration courts.  The people who torpedoed it were House QOP and TRUMP.  They didn't want to have solutions to the problem.  They wanted to campaign on the chaos.  Chaos that they have perpetuated.  

And TRUMP could have EASILY solved this issue.  They didn't.  They got to look tough because of Covid gave them excuses to implement stuff like remain in Mexico.  That's it.

Edited by the destroyer of worlds
  • chaos 1

11 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

If the GOP were serious about stopping illegal immigration when a meat processing plant is raided by ICE and all the illegals rounded up they'd push for the plant owner and operators to also be arrested and prosecuted for breaking the law. Otherwise they just hire another batch of illegals and round and round it goes.

But of course it's not wise to arrest your donors.

They want the cheap labour, but don't want to deal with the best way to accomplish that goal.  They'd rather half-ass it and use it as a hammer during elections.

As I've said, neither party is innocent, but right now I'm way more concerned with the flooding of the border.  Neither party is trying to intelligently solve it.  They're just playing political games with it.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

There is no "open border".  Obama deported more people in each of his terms than TRUMP did.  If it wasn't for Covid, Biden could have easily surpassed TRUMP as well.  The Senate bill would have increased funding for border services and immigration courts.  The people who torpedoed it were House QOP and TRUMP.  They didn't want to have solutions to the problem.  They wanted to campaign on the chaos.  Chaos that they have perpetuated.  

And TRUMP could have EASILY solved this issue.  They didn't.  They got to look tough because of Covid gave them excuses to implement stuff like remain in Mexico.  That's it.

There is definitely an open border. 

The only reason that immigration wasn't as terrible under Trump was because the border was mostly sealed and insulated because of COVID.  Trump doesn't have a grand immigration plan other than playing whack-a-mole with them or even worse, imprisoning them on our dime.

In fact Trump tried to close down the "genius visas" until he finally realized that the general populace wasn't going to be able to fill those jobs.  Our schools aren't pumping out Einsteins.

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

They want the cheap labour, but don't want to deal with the best way to accomplish that goal.  They'd rather half-ass it and use it as a hammer during elections.

As I've said, neither party is innocent, but right now I'm way more concerned with the flooding of the border.  Neither party is trying to intelligently solve it.  They're just playing political games with it.

"Solving" it is a pretty tall order. That being said, one of the parties negotiated across the aisle with a conservative Oklahoma Republican, to try and mitigate the problem.

Donald Trump killed that deal, because he wants to complain about the problem, rather than actually address it.

• Cheers 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

"Solving" it is a pretty tall order. That being said, one of the parties negotiated across the aisle with a conservative Oklahoma Republican, to try and mitigate the problem.

Donald Trump killed that deal, because he wants to complain about the problem, rather than actually address it.

That's the GOP playbook.  Use the problem as an election-time hammer.  It's infuriating.

I just wish people would wake up to the fact that neither side is trying to solve this problem in earnest.  They want to take advantage of it.

The havoc going on in NYC because of the flood of immigrants is crazy.  They're actually locking up toiletries and other household items behind plexiglass now because people were going into the stores and robbing them and turning around and reselling the items to local bodegas or going the route of setting up their own popup shops.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Ok.  Serious talk...  I've talked about this before.  I don't think the illegal voting problem is anywhere near as big as the Republicans want to claim it is, but it's definitely a growing problem.

It's also not as small as the Democrats want to claim.

It's exacerbated by the fact that a sitting US Senator is going to put forward a bill that legalizes millions of the illegal immigrants.  That is short term ballot stuffing, until the time inevitably comes that they start to vote the other way, then you end up with a cycle that us citizens have to deal with.

Heritage is conservative web site, they have accumulated 85 cases of people voting illegally over the last 20 years.

Looking at these names, most seem to be locals. It does happen and there might be non citizens voting but in a country with 333 million people I see it as non issue.

Anecdotal evidence, I have been in various management roles in hospitality industry over the last 25 years. When it comes to BOH employees, 99% are from Mexico, lately I have been seeing more Central Americans. Virtually none of these people that I have worked with or hired have signed up for 401k, direct deposit, stock options or medical insurance.

I highly doubt that any of them would put themselves into potential danger by voting. 
Same reason why so many drive to border with Mexico from Chicago, sure makes sense to get on a plane and fly down there. Way less time and it costs way less.

https://www.heritage.org/voterfraud/searchh

Edited by CBH1926
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, CBH1926 said:

Heritage is conservative web site, they have accumulated 85 cases of people voting illegally over the last 20 years.

Looking at these names, most seem to be locals. It does happen and there might be non citizens voting but in a country with 333 million people I see it as non issue.

Anecdotal evidence, I have been in various management roles in hospitality industry over the last 25 years. When it comes to BOH employees, 99% are from Mexico, lately I have been seeing more Central Americans. Virtually none of these people that I have worked with or hired have signed up for 401k, direct deposit, stock options or medical insurance.

I highly doubt that any of them would put themselves into potential danger by voting. 
Same reason why so many drive to border with Mexico from Chicago, sure makes sense to get on a plane and fly down there. Way less time and it costs way less.

https://www.heritage.org/voterfraud/searchh

I've been waiting for this one.

I get the statistics.  It's not as big of a past problem.  I'm more concerned with it becoming a current and future problem.

Like I said, there's already a sitting US senator that wants to provide all of the illegals a fast track to citizenship.

I'm not only worried about who votes for whom.  I'm more concerned with just opening up the doors to millions of unknown people.

As a funny aside, I've read about more Republicans getting caught voting more than once than Democrats.  That's why the GOP stopped using the multiple votes example.

Repugs going all out to try and diminish the Biden prisoner swap.....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/it-s-disgusting-rep-scott-perry-rebuked-for-comparing-freed-russian-prisoner-to-spoon/ar-BB1r6noc?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=9ccf39b236004edfac6ad0aa1c339e07&ei=20

Rep. Scott Perry (R-PA) faced backlash Friday after he insulted on live television the prisoners freed in President Joe Biden's historic deal with Russia.

Perry likened Wall Street Journal reporter Evan Gershkovich to a piece of cutlery in his dismissive analysis on Fox News of Biden's swap with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Essentially we've traded journalists for murderers and thieves," Perry said. "It's like trading a rifle for a spoon."

I'm sure the families of Gershkovich and Whelan are happy to have their "spoons" back....🙄

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Repugs going all out to try and diminish the Biden prisoner swap.....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/it-s-disgusting-rep-scott-perry-rebuked-for-comparing-freed-russian-prisoner-to-spoon/ar-BB1r6noc?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=9ccf39b236004edfac6ad0aa1c339e07&ei=20

I'm sure the families of Gershkovich and Whelan are happy to have their "spoons" back....🙄

These are the idiots that decide the issues, like immigration, that I'm concerned about.  Not even smart enough to end his point before making an insulting and ridiculous analogy.

He had a point worth considering, but then torpedoed it with his mouth.  That's why I've said the biggest thing that pisses me off about conservatives is that they instantly take the as*hole side of an issue.  That usually just often means you're an as*hole to begin with.  Nobody wants a government run purely by as*holes. 

Edited by Sabrefan1
2 typos
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I've been waiting for this one.

I get the statistics.  It's not as big of a past problem.  I'm more concerned with it becoming a current and future problem.

Like I said, there's already a sitting US senator that wants to provide all of the illegals a fast track to citizenship.

I'm not only worried about who votes for whom.  I'm more concerned with just opening up the doors to millions of unknown people.

As a funny aside, I've read about more Republicans getting caught voting more than once than Democrats.  That's why the GOP stopped using the multiple votes example.

Politicians have been pandering for any kind of votes in this country forever.

Going back to Tammany society pandering to Irish, George Wallace to southern whites in 1968 election to what you pointed out.

Easiest way to stop illegal immigration is to make every business federally mandated to use E-Verify. If that ever happened who would work on farms in California, slaughter houses of Midwest, citrus production in Florida, restaurants and hotels across America.

Business in America have profited from cheap labor for decades, neither party has interest in stopping it.

The worst thing in American political system is a word lobbyist, pay to play politics is killing us.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

These are the idiots that decide the issues, like immigration, that I'm concerned about.  Not even smart enough to end his point before making an insulting and ridiculous analogy.

He had a point worth considering, but then torpedoed it with his mouth.  That's why I've said the biggest thing that pisses me off about conservatives is that they instantly take the as*hole side of an issue.  That usually just often means you're an as*hole to begin with.  Nobody wants a government run purely by as*holes. 

I dunno....seems like the guys in the red hats want exactly that....:classic_unsure:

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The havoc going on in NYC because of the flood of immigrants is crazy.  They're actually locking up toiletries and other household items behind plexiglass now because people were going into the stores and robbing them and turning around and reselling the items to local bodegas or going the route of setting up their own popup shops.

They do that in Victoria, BC and there's no illegals here. In order to buy a pack of razors you have to track down an employee (much more difficult than it sounds) who has the key to unlock the cabinet.

Just now, CBH1926 said:

Politicians have been pandering for any kind of votes in this country forever.

Going back to Tammany society pandering to Irish, George Wallace to southern whites in 1968 election to what you pointed out.

No doubt.  Politicians are politicians.

Easiest way to stop illegal immigration is to make every business federally mandated to use E-Verify. If that ever happened who would work on farms in California, slaughter houses of Midwest, citrus production in Florida, restaurants and hotels across America.

Business in America have profited from cheap labor for decades, neither party has interest in stopping it.

I'm fine with controlled immigration.  This country needs it, always has.  It's uncontrolled immigration that bothers me.

Before the Mexican economy caught up years ago, there were plenty of Mexicans that would move up here to work the farms and other crap jobs, and then move back to Mexico in the off-seasons. 

That's the ideal way to handle immigration.  License temporary workers/residents.

The worst thing in American political system is a word lobbyist, pay to play politics is killing us.

No doubt.  And the old SCOTUS put that problem into overdrive when they ruled that corporations were people.  That opened up the floodgates to legal bribery through Super-PACs.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

They do that in Victoria, BC and there's no illegals here. In order to buy a pack of razors you have to track down an employee (much more difficult than it sounds) who has the key to unlock the cabinet.

It was never that way before, even in NYC.  They priced items taking "leakage" in mind.

I've been to Canada plenty of times.  Your prices are already sky high as it is.  The Buffalo economy gets a boost around the holidays from all of the Canadian shopping that happens here. 

I think Canadians are the only people keeping the 2 major malls here in business.  Especially the Galleria Mall in Cheektowaga, NY.

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

It was never that way before, even in NYC.  They priced items taking "leakage" in mind.

I've been to Canada plenty of times.  Your prices are already sky high as it is.  The Buffalo economy gets a boost around the holidays from all of the Canadian shopping that happens here. 

I think Canadians are the only people keeping the 2 major malls here in business.  Especially the Galleria Mall in Cheektowaga, NY.

Our prices are quite high. I just posted this in the newly minted Travel thread but I'll post it here so you can do a quick comparison. It's a cost of living website, it's pretty easy to figure out how to compare between 2 cities.....

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Our prices are quite high. I just posted this in the newly minted Travel thread but I'll post it here so you can do a quick comparison. It's a cost of living website, it's pretty easy to figure out how to compare between 2 cities.....

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

First thing I did was look at Vancouver vs. Toronto.  You guys score poorer than Toronto.  That's got to suck.