US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

First thing I did was look at Vancouver vs. Toronto.  You guys score poorer than Toronto.  That's got to suck.

It does suck. Look at Vancouver vs somewhere in the East like Bangkok or Ho Chi Minh City.

• Cheers 1

Looks like Drumpf's almost assassination, isn't the only thing the SS and police have screwed up---gors back a 3 yrs, but......

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/vice-president-kamala-harris-was-feet-away-from-pipe-bomb-located-outside-the-dnc-headquarters-on-january-6-report/ar-BB1r6eBH?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=7810dd4124984b22b3321fee7c98b801&ei=16

"Vice President Kamala Harris was within close proximity to a "viable" pipe bomb that had been planted outside the Democratic National Committee's headquarters on January 6, 2021.

According to the Department of Homeland Security's internal watchdog report, the pipe bomb was strategically placed in a bush right outside the office building, going unnoticed during the advance security sweeps conducted by the Secret Service.

The report stated the bomb had been positioned the night before the vice president's visit, and it was found one hour and 40 minutes after she entered the building.

Harris, traveling in an armored vehicle with her motorcade, entered the DNC building through a ramp merely 20 feet away from the explosive device.

Upon the bomb's discovery, it took the Secret Service 10 minutes to evacuate the VP, who ended up spending a total of 1 hour and 50 minutes inside the building after the bomb scare.

The report further highlighted that the security protocols in place at the time emphasized fewer assets for individuals elected but not yet sworn into office.

Following this incident, the Secret Service revised its policies to ensure more comprehensive protection for "elect" individuals like Vice President Harris.

---------------------------

more at link.

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

It does suck. Look at Vancouver vs somewhere in the East like Bangkok or Ho Chi Minh City.

Just confirming, these are the price difference, after some board somewhere, has somehow, decided how much the Canadian dollar is worth compared to the other currencies?

6 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Wow.  That's a stark difference.  If you move, choose Thailand.  I've never met an ugly Thai girl. 😆

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Just confirming, these are the price difference, after some board somewhere, has somehow, decided how much the Canadian dollar is worth compared to the other currencies?

The site works a bit like Wiki in that all the pricing data is submitted by users. Currency values are decided in open markets unless you have a currency who's value is pegged to another currency but that is very rare.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I'm guessing out of my arse here, but if they're smart, they're likely taking a rolling year long averaging of all the currencies.  There's too much fluctuation to leave it static.

Edited by Sabrefan1
yet another typo
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Wow.  That's a stark difference.  If you move, choose Thailand.  I've never met an ugly Thai girl. 😆

it is on my very preliminary list, to look into, after my older relatives pass away.

I'm not a big fan of hot places, but figure between the mountain areas, and down by the sea, I should be able to find moderate temps.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

I'm guessing out of my arse here, but if they're smart, they likely taking a rolling year long averaging of all the currencies.  There's too much fluctuation to leave it static.

I'm guessing here as well but the currencies are probably monitored on a site like xe.com and updated after a certain percentage move.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

That's my retirement plan.

I'll see ya there Heff. I'll be gone in a couple of years (from BC not Earth, fingers crossed). Plan is to spend a few years being a vagabond around SE Asia and settle eventually in probably Thailand.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

I'm guessing here as well but the currencies are probably monitored on a site like xe.com and updated after a certain percentage move.

Your guess is better than mine.  Your way would give data in real-time whereas mine would have problems during global fluctuations for things like widespread recession activity.

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You'd have to go to the same place they did to know for sure. 

If those people are smart though, they better move away before Georgia sends law enforcement their way if that video becomes popular.

Just curious if it's a fake or not. No way to believe or discount it otherwise.

Just now, Bob Long said:

Just curious if it's a fake or not. No way to believe or discount it otherwise.

Like any user platform that depends on the users, it's only as accurate as the people who report the information.

As for the currency information, I think @nuckin_futz nailed it better than me.  Rather than an average, they would be smart to link it to an active up-to-date database.  Which the internet has plenty of.

Your guess is better than mine.  Your way would give data in real-time whereas mine would have problems during global fluctuations for things like widespread recession activity.

Not really in real time. I've visited the site enough to see the currency prices are not updated in real time. That would probably be far too taxing on that site's servers. In general currencies especially the majors don't really move all that much. It would be handy if they listed the rate of exchange, maybe they do somewhere but I haven't seen it.

6 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Like any user platform that depends on the users, it's only as accurate as the people who report the information.

As for the currency information, I think @nuckin_futz nailed it better than me.  Rather than an average, they would be smart to link it to an active up-to-date database.  Which the internet has plenty of.

I'm wondering when we will see a deep fake one of these? 

11 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Not really in real time. I've visited the site enough to see the currency prices are not updated in real time. That would probably be far too taxing on that site's servers. In general currencies especially the majors don't really move all that much. It would be handy if they listed the rate of exchange, maybe they do somewhere but I haven't seen it.

I haven't run a website in well over a decade so I have no idea how heavy of a script you can run on modern servers, but there aren't too many data points in that map, so I'd imagine a ping every minute on a live database wouldn't be too taxing.  Again, just a guess.  I once put up a realtime chatbox on my old site and learned the hard way that you need to average out the timing of your pings.  I lazily used the default setting red lined my allowed usage almost immediately.  It turned out to my benefit though, I learned that I had a crappy host and then moved on to a better one (Host Gator). 

But to your point on movement, I once looked into trading currencies.  It was too slow for my tastes.  To try and guess which currency will hit sudden fluctuations would only pay off if you were willing to drop at least 6 figures on a currency.  I'm not willing to take that risk.  It reminds me too much of day trading at that point.

Edited by Sabrefan1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

No deep fakes of immigrants claiming fraudulent stuff.

I'm going to look at that Oversight Project video again and count how many arms everyone has. 

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 2

But to your point on movement, I once looked into trading currencies.  It was too slow for my tastes.  To try and guess which currency will hit sudden fluctuations would only pay off if you were willing to drop at least 6 figures on a currency.  I'm not willing to take that risk.  It reminds me too much of day trading at that point.

I've traded everything under the sun over the last 2 decades. Currency trading is all done with leverage (most trading of anything is done with leverage). No one trades currency outside of a margin account. Margins are quite generous for anyone who wants to get their 'gamble on'.

1 standard lot of USD/CAD which is $100,000 can be controlled with just $1500 (depending on the broker). A 1 cent move would result in a gain or loss of $1000 Canadian. "weirdo" currencies would have higher margin requirements but nothing too prohibitive.

image.gif.1b96ba06390cc7c1fce5193be6e0ba4e.gif

• Cheers 1

I found it a little surprising that a VP would not pick their own Chief of Staff.  Upon reflection it makes sense that the President would do so.

Senior U.S. Diplomat Will Lead Kamala Harris’s Running Mate’s Team

Elizabeth M. Allen, a veteran diplomat and political operative, is stepping down from her position as the U.S. under secretary of state for public diplomacy to take on a senior role in Vice President Kamala Harris’s presidential campaign.

On Saturday, Ms. Allen will become the chief of staff to Ms. Harris’s running mate, whose selection is expected to be announced in the coming days, according to a person familiar with the matter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/02/us/politics/elizabeth-allen-kamala-harris-campaign.html

6 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I've traded everything under the sun over the last 2 decades. Currency trading is all done with leverage (most trading of anything is done with leverage). No one trades currency outside of a margin account. Margins are quite generous for anyone who wants to get their 'gamble on'.

1 standard lot of USD/CAD which is $100,000 can be controlled with just $1500 (depending on the broker). A 1 cent move would result in a gain or loss of $1000 Canadian. "weirdo" currencies would have higher margin requirements but nothing too prohibitive.

image.gif.1b96ba06390cc7c1fce5193be6e0ba4e.gif

Too much like day trading for my tastes.

5 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I found it a little surprising that a VP would not pick their own Chief of Staff.  Upon reflection it makes sense that the President would do so.

A VP is all but useless.  They exist for rapid continuity of government in case the worst happens to a POTUS.

They can certainly hurt a president though.  Harris' team complained about her being sidelined after the border became an issue. 

Hindsight being 20-20, it turns out that helped her rather than hurt her since it ended up giving her a degree of separation from criticism lobbed at Biden on the issue.