US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Things surrounding this continue to get more & more bizarre.

He was a loner kid, with mental health issues and access to a high powered weapon.  No need to dig deeper, imo.  We've seen this story again and again and again in the US

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

No one fights harder against transparency under democracy than the government. 

That's because transparency would have shown the US government repeatedly tortured these 3 clowns in contravention of US law thus making a death penalty unlikely.

"The U.S. military commission overseeing the cases of five defendants in the Sept. 11 attacks have been stuck in pre-trial hearings and other preliminary court action since 2008. The torture that the defendants underwent while in CIA custody has slowed the cases and left the prospect of full trials and verdicts still uncertain, in part because of the inadmissibility of evidence linked to the torture."

Any as posted above Secretary of Defence has over ridden the plea deals.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • ThereItIs 3

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Wow I did not see this yesterday.

No one fights harder against transparency under democracy than the government. 

Personally that is good.

Death is too good for them.  Letting them rot for decades is vastly better

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I would've preferred a trial than a deal, so the details could be played out. That's was where I was coming from.

No deals at all.  It appears as thought anything regarding that was nixed.  They'll rot.  Forever.

16 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

For your edification, or for you to ignore since it goes against the preferred narrative...

It's insane to me that these people freely admit being non-citizens.  When I lived in the southwest for a while, illegals were afraid to answer their doors.  Now they're registering and voting in elections that they have no business voting in.

How does a non citizen register to vote? Aren't voter records kept for everyone who votes? Isn't the US well aware of who it's citizens are? Wouldn't it be easy to cross reference one list with other to ensure that everyone voted legally? I don't understand how this could be possible although I am no expert on election protocol from state to state. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

How does a non citizen register to vote? Aren't voter records kept for everyone who votes? Isn't the US well aware of who it's citizens are? Wouldn't it be easy to cross reference one list with other to ensure that everyone voted legally? I don't understand how this could be possible although I am no expert on election protocol from state to state. 

Same questions I have.

8 hours ago, stawns said:

He was a loner kid, with mental health issues and access to a high powered weapon.  No need to dig deeper, imo.  We've seen this story again and again and again in the US

Seems to be the perfect pallette to draw on. It's like those choose your own ending books.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

You would think so wouldn't you?  For many states, like the one I live in, it's apparently still 18th century rules.  You sign a registration paper that says you are legally allowed to vote.

I was reading an article yesterday on this subject where the 9th circuit court of appeals reversed one of it's own rulings that had made it so you couldn't just attest to your legal status on a form and vote. 

Here in NY, I don't even bother bringing my voter registration card with me to the polls anymore because all I have to do is sign into a book and that's enough proof that I'm me. 

The big complaint from progressives against more stringent voting requirements is that minorities can't afford ID's.  Go to some videos on YouTube where they ask black people in black neighborhoods on the street about that.  To counter that argument, I'd like states to start issuing free non-driver ID's.  If the progressive argument then stretches to how do they get to the DMV, then set up voting registration stations in low-income community centers that can verify identity and take care of taking and uploading a picture to the DMV.  Then have your free new ID mailed to your home. 

That way, the Democrats won't have any more complaints about minorities and "hard to get" ID and the right can stfu about election fraud.

Here is the voter form in NY.  Fill it out and as long as you use a valid address, you're set to vote.  You'd think #9 could trip someone up until you see the checkmark box underneath it.

voterreg.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Nate Silver has effed up too much for me to believe him.  He had Hillary crushing Trump by a huge margin.  I only remember because Silver was the biggest reason that I thought that Hillary was going to win that election. 

I prefer an amalgamation and averaging of the major independent non-partisan polls.  Those still have the race as a toss-up with at least half of the swing states too close to call.

7 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You would think so wouldn't you?  For many states, like the one I live in, it's apparently still 18th century rules.  You sign a registration paper that says you are legally allowed to vote.

I was reading an article yesterday on this subject where the 9th circuit court of appeals reversed one of it's own rulings that had made it so you couldn't just attest to your legal status on a form and vote. 

Here in NY, I don't even bother bringing my voter registration card with me to the polls anymore because all I have to do is sign into a book and that's enough proof that I'm me. 

The big complaint from progressives against more stringent voting requirements is that minorities can't afford ID's.  Go to some videos on YouTube where they ask black people in black neighborhoods on the street about that.  To counter that argument, I'd like states to start issuing free non-driver ID's.  If the progressive argument then stretches to how do they get to the DMV, then set up voting registration stations in low-income community centers that can verify identity and take care of taking and uploading a picture to the DMV.  Then have your free new ID mailed to your home. 

That way, the Democrats won't have any more complaints about minorities and "hard to get" ID and the right can stfu about election fraud.

Here is the voter form in NY.  Fill it out and as long as you use a valid address, you're set to vote.  You'd think #9 could trip someone up until you see the checkmark box underneath it.

voterreg.jpg

Don't know the validity of the source, but if this is accurate it doesn't sound like voter fraud has much of an impact: https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/debunking-voter-fraud-myth

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Don't know the validity of the source, but if this is accurate it doesn't sound like voter fraud has much of an impact: https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/debunking-voter-fraud-myth

It's fairly valid.  Fraud hasn't been widespread.  I'm much more concerned about the present and future since we've had so many illegals streaming across the border.

I don't trust politicians to not farm the new arrivals for votes.

4 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

It's fairly valid.  Fraud hasn't been widespread.  I'm much more concerned about the present and future since we've had so many illegals streaming across the border.

Well, illegal crossings are down, so that's good.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Well, illegal crossings are down, so that's good.

I agree.  The Maduro thing had me concerned that we were going to start getting a flood of people from Venezuela, but so far nothing has come of that.

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Free ID would certainly help.

I wonder if there's any real advantage to one party? It's probably split like everything else in the US 

Just now, Bob Long said:

Free ID would certainly help.

I wonder if there's any real advantage to one party? It's probably split like everything else in the US 

In the short term, it benefits the left.  Long term, South Americans are more drawn to authoritative figures, so that benefits the Republicans.  That means that in order for the Democrats to make up for future losses, they need to let in more and more immigrants.

All the Republicans have to do is sit back, use the issue as a hammer and wait for those voters to turn to them.  It's a zero sum game that I would like eliminated.  In the end it only hurts us.

27 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

In the short term, it benefits the left.  Long term, South Americans are more drawn to authoritative figures, so that benefits the Republicans.  That means that in order for the Democrats to make up for future losses, they need to let in more and more immigrants.

All the Republicans have to do is sit back, use the issue as a hammer and wait for those voters to turn to them.  It's a zero sum game that I would like eliminated.  In the end it only hurts us.

Seems risky for the GOP to assume that but who knows, maybe they are right. Otoh they picked Vance. 

14 hours ago, 24K said:

Why would. Biden pardon Trump when Trump want to drop out because he is gonna loss big?

It makes zero sense and ruin the Dem campaign at the same time. Backstabbing Harris and the whole campaign message that no one is above the law. 

It is nonsensical. GOP establishment may want Trump out but they are stuck with him unless the guy dies or flee to Russia. 

It's about keeping the peace. Transitioning between administration without Trump getting people riled up and rioting etc would be an attractive option for Biden.

Even if they convict Trump more on other charges, it's not easy to put him in Prison. You still need to put secret service people there to protect him. 

If he was to agree to plead out, face something like probation and some other restrictions, it's a deal that could happen.

10 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Solitary confinement for the rest of their lives seems like a fitting punishment to me.

That is one of the worst tortures there is.

It is being done away with in Canada, there are now very tight rules on length of time etc...  we obviously need it for temp holding-cell purposes but not for long term stuff. 15 day max and the person needs to be charged by a judge at vid court. We officers can only put the inmates in there for a few hours until mgmt gets involved.

It's so traumatic that we dont even call it solitary or seg anymore officially. It's called Charlie Unit at my work, but that doesn't matter. All the inmates know, Charlie ... is 'the hole'.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 3

8 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Same questions I have.

But it's a totally reliable video clip from a Xitter account supported by the Heritage fund, using totally legit footage taken by Muckraker.com

I guess that makes me 4 for 4....

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2