US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 hours ago, 4petesake said:

This goes way beyond empathy though. My order for empathy goes first and foremost to the victim, his family, society and finally to the person who committed the crime.  Empathy shouldn’t be equal when you consider the act. I’m very glad he’s on his meds and doing well but let’s not pretend many people don’t decide to go off their meds.

Anyway we should probably take this to the Canadian Politics thread as I didn’t mean to derail this thread when I made the analogy.

Why can't you have empathy for both?

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why can't you have empathy for both?

You can.

'the quality of mercy is not strained it droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven'

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

Regarding the above post..

more of the white collar frauds should be streamlined and expidited ..

Trump has survived because the process is too slow and claims or charges against him become too burdensome and expensive for average people to wait out .

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Regarding the above post..

more of the white collar frauds should be streamlined and expidited ..

Trump has survived because the process is too slow and claims or charges against him become too burdensome and expensive for average people to wait out .

I'm honestly amazed Bernie Madoff got the punishment he did

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

‘Trump May Have Just Lost Georgia!’ GOP Leaders Reportedly Infuriated by ‘Batsh*t Crazy’ MAGA Rally in Key Swing State

https://www.mediaite.com/news/trump-may-have-just-lost-georgia-gop-leaders-reportedly-infuriated-by-batsht-crazy-maga-rally-in-key-swing-state/

This goes back to Kemp's unwillingness to support Trumps bullshit claims of election fraud in the 2020 election...

The smart thing to do would be to let that slide and try and get the voters of Georgia united behind you, but Bone Spurs just can't bring himself to do that with someone whom he feels has crossed him...

It underscores the fact that not only is the worst president in the history of the United States, he's also the stupidest former president of the United States....

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Some late money coming in on Minnesota Governor Walz.

odds.thumb.jpg.f3ce9d5cd865f1e60b214885960bab07.jpg

TBH, I don't get Walz as a potential Veep....I like him, but Minny feels safer than PA or AZ and PA has almost twice as many Electoral votes than either....

Shapiro seems like the smart choice to me.....

7 hours ago, stawns said:

He was found not criminally responsible and when he solved his mental health issues that caused the act, he was released and has never had any incident even resembling criminality in the last 9 years.

That's what we hope for from our justice system........we employ a rehabilitation and re-integration model for our incarcerated.

Mental problems are controlled and managed for the most part. Schizophrenia hasn’t been “solved” yet, especially when you eat eyes and a heart of a human being. Or your pockets contain baggies of human parts. Even in a country that’s soft on crime, this guy should have been given conditional probation instead of unconditional. Because if he decides to stop taking anti psychotics and seeing a shrink, let’s hope he doesn’t get on a bus somewhere in B.C.

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What is going to happen tomorrow in the US stock market?

Nibbling on NQ futures down here. Will be buying some Nikkei futures on the close. Not interested in Kospi just yet. Yen carry trades got way out of control this entire year and it's all unwinding now in a hurry. Clearly the Fed is behind the curve (yet again) and markets are freaking out. When rates drop from 5% to 2.5 or thereabouts where do you think all the money is going to go? YUP right back into the stock market.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

That's fair enough, I guess.....but I honestly think your attitude is bizarre....if someone pulled something like that in my country, I'd consider keeping him out of office by far the most important consideration....

I guess I just don't get Americans....:classic_unsure:

Hypothetical question, if you could “erase” from history 1 U.S presidency, would you erase G.W era or Trump era?

If Trump wins in 2024 you could use your “erase” as well.

4 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Absolutely abysmal comparison. Two are dictators and despots one of which is responsible for some of the most horrific events in human history and the other for over half a million dead. The other is a person suffering from a mental health issue. It is not empathy for him...I think he maybe should have stayed in the loony bin if going off his meds can result in such a thing..but to use what was said as if someone had empathy for those two based off the legitimate argument given is asinine.  

Meh.  
still a fucking monster of a human.  

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Hypothetical question, if you could “erase” from history 1 U.S presidency, would you erase G.W era or Trump era?

James Buchanan or Andrew Johnson. It's strange that the 2 worst sandwiched arguable the best. What a tumultuous time.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Trump.

As bad as Dubya was, I feel like working across the aisle was still a possibility after his term and the Republican party was still the Republican party after he left office...

After 2016, I don't believe either of those things hold true any more....

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Mental problems are controlled and managed for the most part. Schizophrenia hasn’t been “solved” yet, especially when you eat eyes and a heart of a human being. Or your pockets contain baggies of human parts. Even in a country that’s soft on crime, this guy should have been given conditional probation instead of unconditional. Because if he decides to stop taking anti psychotics and seeing a shrink, let’s hope he doesn’t get on a bus somewhere in B.C.

I meant solved in the context of managed and having no psychotic breakdown.  That's a fair point on word usage though

They didn't just suddenly release him.......he underwent three years of gradually easing restrictions and granting him more and more freedom

Edited by stawns

17 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Trump.

As bad as Dubya was, I feel like working across the aisle was still a possibility after his term and the Republican party was still the Republican party after he left office...

After 2016, I don't believe either of those things hold true any more....

Agreed and they've radicalized tens of millions of Americans in a way that's going to be very hard to undo

• Cheers 1