US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

James Buchanan or Andrew Johnson. It's strange that the 2 worst sandwiched arguable the best. What a tumultuous time.

Andrew Jackson was just as much of a piece of shit as Trump in his time.

17 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Anyone claiming to have had this on their bingo card is a liar. WTF ???

Funny thing is this is his own “get out in front of the story” sanitized version that he thinks puts  him in the best light. After stories of him eating dog or siccing his pet falcon on a cop nothing really surprises you now. 

• Cheers 2
  • chaos 1

4 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Trump.

As bad as Dubya was, I feel like working across the aisle was still a possibility after his term and the Republican party was still the Republican party after he left office...

After 2016, I don't believe either of those things hold true any more....

The damage was done before GW came along and its name was/is Newt Gingrich.

I have brought this subject, and this book up before.

It was Newt Gingrich that started the republican party down the path whose logical conclusion was a Republican president like trump. 

Julian E. Zelizer's book 

Burning Down the House 

Fall of the Speaker and the Rise of the New Republican Party. 

https://history.princeton.edu/about/publications/burning-down-house-newt-gingrich-fall-speaker-and-rise-new-republican-party

" The story of how Newt Gingrich and his  allies tainted American politics, launching an enduring era of brutal partisan warfare.

" When Donald Trump was elected president in 2016 President Obama observed that " Trump is not an outlier " he is a culmination, a logical conclusion of the Rhetoric and tactics of the Republican party.

In Burning Down the house historian Julian Zelizer pinpoints the moment when our country was set on a path toward and era of bitterly partisan and ruthless politics, an era that was ignited by Newt Gingrich and his political allies. 

In 1989 Gingrich brought down the democratic speaker of the house Jim Wright and catapulted himself into the national spotlight. Perhaps more than any other politician, Gingrich introduced the rhetoric and tactics that have shaped congress and the Republican party for the last three decades ".

Rather than any president, I would choose to " erase " Newt Gingrich.

Would have someone else like him emerged ?

That's a point that could be debated.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Oh boy...

Markets react to different scenarios. Trading has morphed into more concentrated silos which exaggerates the volatility. Does the pullback on Friday signify something special? It always can but I doubt it. At the end of the day businesses operate and they have value. I will buy on weakness based on company fundamentals.

• Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Markets react to different scenarios. Trading has morphed into more concentrated silos which exaggerates the volatility. Does the pullback on Friday signify something special? It always can but I doubt it. At the end of the day businesses operate and they have value. I will buy on weakness based on company fundamentals.

Probably a lot of good buying opportunities today as well.

23 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Makes perfect sense to me ,.   It even destabilizes stock markets.

Fkn Prima Dona .

This dude is doing everything in his power to become a supervillain. It would be a little scary if he didn't seem so bloody dumb.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

This dude is doing everything in his power to become a supervillain. It would be a little scary if he didn't seem so bloody dumb.

The problem is the stuipid people that follow him ..    and I don’t just mean on social media, where it’s started..

he himself is amassing a cult .

Perhaps now we can see how religions were created ,   Each one tailored for a need for power and control.

Thus ,  the differences.

Example:

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Anyone claiming to have had this on their bingo card is a liar. WTF ???

The bigger story is that there are bears in Central Park?  I find that hard to belirve

Just an FYI here,  realizing this is the US politics thread, and they have 12 battle ships positioned to defend Israel..

:Reports that Israel conveyed a message to Iran through a third European country: Any attack on civilian targets by Iran will be met with the immediate destruction of all Iranian nuclear facilities 

The United States believes that this fact is the reason for Iran’s long wait before attacking.

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What does Warren Buffett know that we aren't privy to?  🤔

Warren Buffet.jpg

Buffet hasn’t found value in a M&A target for a few years now. Does he have a target? Very possible. Rather than panic consider the index values at the beginning of this year. Also realize there could be forces at work that have little to do with economics. Markets can be moved with short selling.