US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

The stock market "correction" has a few reasons, but the trigger was/is the recent poor jobs data.

People are fearing a recession. 

That said, people are also betting on rate cuts from the fed to give relief to the markets through making borrowing a lot cheaper.  That will kick the can of a recession down the road and hopefully lessen the length and impact of one.

https://www.fxstreet.com/news/dow-jones-industrial-average-sewered-by-bad-nfp-print-202408021857

Edited by Sabrefan1
spelling error
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

how he reacted to Covid didn’t help Sabs,

He compounded it..

just like the disinfectant he wanted to inject,

or the horse medicine Vermictin for ringworm..  

he didn’t even endorse simple masking as PRECAUTIONARY advice

He set you country back year’s beyond the 4 year term he had..

A brighter mind would have done better than Trump being led around by the cock ring through his nose that Putin .

No credit or excuses for that failure of a leader for your country,.  Please.

You're buying into the tripe on Twitter.

He handled the beginning of the crisis.  Biden handled the middle and the end. 

Actually, Trump's advisors handled the beginning.  Trump's ideas amounted to hitting people with intense UV rays and/or giving them bleach.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You're buying into the tripe on Twitter.

He handled the beginning of the crisis.  Biden handled the middle and the end. 

Actually, Trump's advisors handled the beginning.  Trump's ideas amounted to hitting people with intense UV rays and/or giving them bleach.

in other words Trump did nothing, 

Well I hope you’re NOT happy with that Clown (Trump) ,  he’s making America look like a Circus Act.

#clownshow

Edited by SilentSam
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Well I hope you’re NOT happy with that Clown (Trump) ,  he’s making America look like a Circus Act.

#clownshow

I haven't been happy with Trump since before most people here knew he existed.

I worked in an adjacent industry.  The stories of his shitty business practices rifled around the state.  Any of the big companies in WNY stayed away from his projects.  Fortunately, the furthest my family's former business bid for contracts was Syracuse.

*edit*  The above is confusing.  In-state Trump was more or less NYC only.  Only on rare occasions would a WNY company of any size do any business as far as NYC.

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I haven't been happy with Trump since before most people here knew he existed.

I worked in an adjacent industry.  The stories of his shitty business practicess rifled around the state.  Any of the big companies in WNY stayed away from his projects.  Fortunately, the furthest my family's former business bid for contracts was Syracuse.

He’s sold snake oil all his life,

Bullshit and Baffled,  extorted ,  frauded,

and soon I hope the evidence will show his collusion and conspiracies both Domestically and Foreign.

There may be enough evidence to put his entire family behind bars.

If they find Treason to Your Country Sab’s,

it should be dealt with accordingly.

It will lead the world to a more Democratic one,  and further away from Dictatorships.

it may perhaps be happening already,

Argentina. Venezuela,  Mexico has had a great change recently that will open doors for immigration to be dealt with on the MEXICAN SIDE of the border , rather than your own.

Your Country has not let down in UKRAINE,

I see all of North America moving closer to more secure and safe alliances,.  Include South America in that too.

We all need to Counter Terrorism on this Planet,.     It’s real,  and has Spydered into every country.

Trump stalls,  and regresses from that..

Its purposeful and I’m sure conspired with.

36 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

how he reacted to Covid didn’t help Sabs,

He compounded it..

just like the disinfectant he wanted to inject,

or the horse medicine Vermictin for ringworm..  

he didn’t even endorse simple masking as PRECAUTIONARY advice

He set you country back year’s beyond the 4 year term he had..

A brighter mind would have done better than Trump being led around by the cock ring through his nose that Putin installed.

No credit or excuses for that failure of a leader for your country,.  Please.

If more people had asked Trump that much earlier he likely would not be taken seriously. 

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If more people had asked Trump that much earlier he likely would not be taken seriously. 

Not sure if you mean before the first election in 2016, but in case you mean the start of COVID...

Nobody but MAGA took Trump seriously.  At the very start of COVID, as soon as he said what he said about UV (it would bake a person alive), and then bleach (obvious why not), everybody knew he had no idea what was going on and that it was his White House advisors and Fauci that were doing the heavy lifting in getting the vaccine developed.

I won't even get into the nuking of a hurricane business that he thought could have actually been a real thing because it was in a movie that he was in.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Those dates coincide with COVID.  You're sharing disingenuous information from Twitter.

That said, people panicking and/or looking for a political advantage against Biden/Harris/Democrats are going to look foolish if/when the market rebounds.  People and institutions will buy shares in solid and healthy companies on the dip.

In fairness with today's drops.

Jan 3 2020

DJI 28,868.80

S&P 3257.85

NASDAQ 9092.20

Aug 5th 2024

DJI 

S&P 5186.33

NASDAQ 16,200.08

Id say it's been a good 4 years.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

in other words Trump did nothing, 

#clownshow

That's weird

• ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

In fairness with today's drops.

Jan 3 2000

DJI 28,868.80

S&P 3257.85

NASDAQ 9092.20

Aug 5th 2024

DJI 

S&P 5186.33

NASDAQ 16,200.08

Id say it's been a good 4 years.

The Dow has fallen before in the last 4 years.  It will recover and go back up.  It may take a week, or it may take a month.  The feds will counter any market "correction" by lowering the rate at which companies can borrow money.  These drops in the end are just going to benefit the people who buy the panic selling on solid companies.

I can't stand social media born disingenuousness and now there are dipsh*ts from the other side of the coin calling it the Kamala crash.  Kamala had zero to do with the economy.  She gets no shine for it doing well and if it continues to fall (I doubt it will), that has nothing to do with her either.  Like the majority of them before her, she was a mostly sidelined VP.  She's now asking the electorate for a chance to take the reins. 

Edited by Sabrefan1
typo

@Sabrefan1..

just know I take pride in how your country does it’s best to secure the Democratic Free World ,  I know Canada supplements this same line but more in Training , Supporting, and Covert roles.

We here in CAN can only offset with what we can because of population/ demographics.   

More emphasis needs to align in the Free World on the Terror Campaigns that RuZ inflicts all over the Planet.

Perhaps if more educated , philosophers, scientists, and Military minds , came together , who all want Peace,..

The World would be a better place .

Unfortunately ,  Josef Goeble’s ways still haunt us.   Living through Evil minds like many Presently ..   RUS, Iran, North Korea,

China the list is few,  but extreme.

I saw pictures of RuZ General Shoigu in Iran today..….   
                  And when I saw this ,.

as we say in hockey ,  I grew 2 inches taller.

Bravo !

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The Dow has fallen before in the last 4 years.  It will recover and go back up.  It may take a week, or it may take a month.  The feds will counter any market "correction" by lowering the rate at which companies can borrow money.  These drops in the end are just going to benefit the people who buy the panic selling on solid companies.

I can't stand Social media born disingenuousness and now there are dipsh*ts from the other side of the coin calling it the Kamala crash.  Kamala had zero to do with the economy.  She gets no shine for it doing well and if it continues to fall (I doubt it will), that has nothing to do with her either.  Like the majority of them before her, she was a mostly sidelined VP.  She's now asking the electorate for a chance to take the reins. 

At best they set up economic success or failure that comes due well after they are out of office.  The '08 crash happened largely due to deregulation pushed by Republicans that Clinton signed. 

That being said, the infrastructure bill and the CHIPS and Science act have some measurable impact in the now, but will likely be a positive going forward.  Something the QOP really should get little to no credit for.  Something Biden got done.

Just now, the destroyer of worlds said:

At best they set up economic success or failure that comes due well after they are out of office.  The '08 crash happened largely due to deregulation pushed by Republicans that Clinton signed. 

That being said, the infrastructure bill and the CHIPS and Science act have some measurable impact in the now, but will likely be a positive going forward.  Something the QOP really should get little to no credit for.  Something Biden got done.

Bush/Cheney's missteps made the '08 crash so much worse than it needed to be, but yes, Clinton set the table for Bush/Cheney to easily nosedive the economy. 

As much as I think Clinton was a good president, he had a bad habit of capitulating to the wrong things to the party that hated his guts.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I can't stand social media born disingenuousness and now there are dipsh*ts from the other side of the coin calling it the Kamala crash.  Kamala had zero to do with the economy.  She gets no shine for it doing well and if it continues to fall (I doubt it will), that has nothing to do with her either.  Like the majority of them before her, she was a mostly sidelined VP.  She's now asking the electorate for a chance to take the reins. 

I suspect that's why this topic ended up in this thread in the first place 

• chaos 1

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The stock market "correction" has a few reasons, but the trigger was/is the recent poor jobs data.

People are fearing a recession. 

That said, people are also betting on rate cuts from the fed to give relief to the markets through making borrowing a lot cheaper.  That will kick the can of a recession down the road and hopefully lessen the length and impact of one.

https://www.fxstreet.com/news/dow-jones-industrial-average-sewered-by-bad-nfp-print-202408021857

I really only get worried if there's too much optimism (seriously).  Call me a contarian, but when everybody says:  "it's a bull market, the skies the limit" is when I start to think about increasing my holdings in short term instruments like t-bills.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Chips for sure. It is only in the building phase for most projects though not sure how intel is fairing right now. They might just cancel everything with how much they are bleeding cash.

Micron on the other hand is building like crazy in Idaho and upper NY thanks to chips. 

5 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

He was going to eat roadkill...

That is some banjo shit right there.

W.T.F.R.F.K ! ?

In the words of his father's final speech "we won here in LA, now onto Mississippi for a roadkill buffet"

• Cheers 1