US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

On 8/4/2024 at 8:38 PM, nuckin_futz said:

Nibbling on NQ futures down here. Will be buying some Nikkei futures on the close. Not interested in Kospi just yet. Yen carry trades got way out of control this entire year and it's all unwinding now in a hurry. Clearly the Fed is behind the curve (yet again) and markets are freaking out. When rates drop from 5% to 2.5 or thereabouts where do you think all the money is going to go? YUP right back into the stock market.

Wham bam thank you mam. Quickest 10% gain on index futures I've ever had. Usually you gotta wait more than a year for gains like that.  🙂

nikk.jpg

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Today, I spoke with Israeli Minster of Defense Yoav Gallant to reaffirm U.S. commitment to Israel’s defense from threats posed by Iran, Lebanese Hizballah, and other Iran-aligned militia groups. We agreed the attack from Iran-aligned militias on U.S. forces stationed at Al-Asad Airbase in western Iraq marked a dangerous escalation, and I updated Minister Gallant on measures to strengthen U.S. military posture in light of this escalating situation.

Wouldnt be surprised if this is indeed part of their last resort plan to keep Trump out, theyve tried everything else. 

My prediction is no matter who wins the other side will in someway deny or contest the election result, more-so than we saw in '16 & '20. Both sides view this as a loss being the end of America.

• ThereItIs 1

16 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Wouldnt be surprised if this is indeed part of their last resort plan to keep Trump out, theyve tried everything else. 

My prediction is no matter who wins the other side will in someway deny or contest the election result, more-so than we saw in '16 & '20. Both sides view this as a loss being the end of America.

Remember how Pence didn't have the guts to do the right thing, guess who's got the job now? 

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Bottom line is that the DNC removed Biden as he had demonstrated the inability to continue on as POTUS. The GOP has labeled that as a coup. It does not change the reality. Americans will have a choice Trump or Harris. Both have a large constituency in the USA. Instead of debating ideas and policy both sides deal in personal attack and ridicule. It is reckless and puts democracy at risk. Many Democrats would have stood by Biden even tho he was obviously not capable. Many Republicans will stand by Trump who morally is not worthy of the job. Many of America's enemy's feed the divide that exists inside the USA. It must be resolved or the world will descend to anarchy. Do Westerners really understand what is at risk? Russia-China-North Korea-Iran are ran by evil people who would love nothing more than dominating the world. 

So many have deferred their defense to the Americans because they have defended the world since WW2. So many countries have not prepared themselves to defend their freedom. Canada is one of those countries. It is shameful. As Europe slowly rearms in defense of Ukraine, Canadians should reflect on how many of our grandparents and parents sacrificed themselves in WW1 & WW2 so that we can sit on our fat asses today. At least Joe Biden recognized the Russian threat and reacted. At least Donald Trump threatened his NATO allies into spending more on their defense. It is more than most have done.  

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I like him. Some pundits on TV says if he wore a red hat, you may mistaken him as a MAGA. 

Good choice. I'm shocked the Dems didn't shoot themselves in the foot for once.

2 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Good choice. I'm shocked the Dems didn't shoot themselves in the foot for once.

Don't know anything about him, but if this guy doesn't give the progressives a reason to pout and stay home that's good.

Having an attack dog for anti trump headlines while Harris focuses on policy could work well too 

15 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Listen to his podcast interview on the Erza Klein show. He's ex military, teacher and high-school football coach.

He's a great communicator who has a small town feel to him that can lock the mid west. And he would be the more progressive of the VP candidates from the field. He's the guy that started the 'trump is weird' trend and can energize the youth vote. Pro cannabis. Pro union. Pro education. Pro veterans. Anti bailouts. 

Gaza is a big issue in Minnesota and Shapiro was weaker on that front than Walz.

It places Harris a bit more to the center as well, which could help her.

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Don't know anything about him, but if this guy doesn't give the progressives a reason to pout and stay home that's good.

Having an attack dog for anti trump headlines while Harris focuses on policy could work well too 

Was a highschool teacher and has never lost Minnesota as a public servant. Has passed bills protecting reproductive rights and keeping food in the bellies of schoolchildren. Fights for education, reproductive choice, LGBTQ rights, weed for all and likes guns but thinks they should be regulated better. He's also been outspoken around Palestine, which is a blind spot for Harris. This could go a long way reaching both the Midwest and gen Z who wouldn't vote to the Palestine conflict. 

Absolute homerun pick for VP.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Listen to his podcast interview on the Erza Klein show. He's ex military, teacher and high-school football coach.

He's a great communicator who has a small town feel to him that can lock the mid west. And he would be the more progressive of the VP candidates from the field. He's the guy that started the 'trump is weird' trend and can energize the youth vote. Pro cannabis. Pro LGBTQ. Pro union. Pro education. Pro veterans. Anti bailouts. 

He Implemented free school lunches and tuition free college for low income Minnesotans as well.

Gaza is a big issue in Minnesota and Shapiro was weaker on that front than Walz.

I just echoed everything you said... My bad. I got excited and stopped reading after bob. You nailed it.

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Was a highschool teacher and has never lost Minnesota as a public servant. Has passed bills protecting reproductive rights and keeping food in the bellies of schoolchildren. Fights for education, reproductive choice, LGBTQ rights, weed for all and likes guns but thinks they should be regulated better. He's also been outspoken around Palestine, which is a blind spot for Harris. This could go a long way reaching both the Midwest and gen Z who wouldn't vote to the Palestine conflict. 

Absolute homerun pick for VP.

Also an old white dude, for the old white dude vote.

I hope the dems can now just unite and not in-fight for 90 days.

Edited by Bob Long

Have a read up on her vp pick

He was the command Sergeant Major in the national guard 

Trump is already calling him an extremist and weak...... The exact opposite of the very definition of a command Sergeant Major 

Love this pick and wish he could debate the bastard ( love that statement about the bastard having to wake up knowing a black women kicked his ass lol )

6 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Have a read up on her vp pick

He was the command Sergeant Major in the national guard 

Trump is already calling him an extremist and weak...... The exact opposite of the very definition of a command Sergeant Major 

Love this pick and wish he could debate the bastard ( love that statement about the bastard having to wake up knowing a black women kicked his ass lol )

Everyone knows trump just blasts out any stream of consciousness crap that occurs to him. I don't think it works anymore.

He sounds like a great pick, but most of us see this through the Canadian lens, curious what @Sabrefan1 thinks.

9 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Even if true, which I doubt, this is less egregious than the Republicans plan to having loyalists in each state that will refuse to certify the votes. Not to mention the lawsuits they are already cynically preparing to contest the swing states even before a ballot is cast. Dems had already conceded before and Trump pulled Jan 6 in response to his loss. 

There is no equivalence here. The Republicans are doing this not only more frequently but in greater magnitude and are actively eroding the democratic institutions for their win.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/election-deniers-refuse-certify-chaos-2024-1234988747/