US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Bob Long said:

Just looked up the flag, looks fine to me.

Don't know the tampon story.

The flag is no biggie.  There was no need to change it though and people wondered why it resembled, I think it was Somalia's flag.

The tampon was a measure to pander to the progressive wing of his party.

He's a politician.  They pander.  He's a good choice who will help them get out the vote.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The flag is no biggie.  There was no need to change it though and people wondered why it resembled, I think it was Somalia's flag.

He's a politician.  They pander.  He's a good choice who will help them get out the vote.

Just looked it up, I don't get the fuss, how could supplying these products be a bad thing? Some families can't afford it I assume.

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

What is his position on Ukraine and support for Israel?

He hasn't had a need to flesh one out I'd imagine since foreign policy isn't a Minnesota thing.

As a domestic state governor, I'm sure the Harris campaign has already made him aware of what his position is and will be from now on.

From now until at least election day, he is Kamala's b*tch.  That's the life of a VP.

Another angle in the selection might also have been who replaces the VP pick if/when Harris wins.  There was no real threat of the Dems losing any of the offices of any of the VP favourites.  The Minnesota pick has a little extra spice to it.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/08/06/first-native-woman-governor-walz-harris-peggy-flanagan-00172816

Harris victory would clear the way for first Native American woman governor

Minnesota Lt. Gov. Peggy Flanagan, a member of the White Earth Band of Ojibwe, would become the first Native American woman to take a state’s top executive role if Gov. Tim Walz becomes the vice president.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

Just looked it up, I don't get the fuss, how could supplying these products be a bad thing? Some families can't afford it I assume.

Where are you getting bad?  It's neither good nor bad.  He's a politician who panders to progressives.  Kamala chose well in that aspect.

Had he ran over a bear and tried to frame someone by dragging it to Central Park, now that would be bad.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Another angle in the selection might also have been who replaces the VP pick if/when Harris wins.  There was no real threat of the Dems losing any of the offices of any of the VP favourites.  The Minnesota pick has a little extra spice to it.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/08/06/first-native-woman-governor-walz-harris-peggy-flanagan-00172816

Harris victory would clear the way for first Native American woman governor

Minnesota Lt. Gov. Peggy Flanagan, a member of the White Earth Band of Ojibwe, would become the first Native American woman to take a state’s top executive role if Gov. Tim Walz becomes the vice president.

I doubt Harris gives a flying snot rocket who becomes governor of Minnesota.  She's chasing her dream. 

Where are you getting bad?  It's neither good nor bad.  He's a politician who panders to progressives.  Kamala chose well in that aspect.

The bad part is the con freak out over it. 

Of course it's a good thing, if this gives access to these products to a kid that can't afford it. 

Had he ran over a bear and tried to frame someone by dragging it to Central Park, now that would be bad.

That's just a whole new level of weird. I wonder if the statue of limitation has run out on that bizarreness. 

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

You've seen our politics here.  Both sides will freak out over anything from the other side.

That's just a whole new level of weird. I wonder if the statue of limitation has run out on that bizarreness. 

He likely didn't break any laws higher than a misdemeanor.  The statute of limitations at that level run out fairly quickly.

I wouldn't call that weird, I'd call it pretty telling on the character of the person who did it.  Doesn't matter how long ago it was. 

I truly dislike that joker after having learned that.

Edited by Sabrefan1
typo on misdemeanor then I forgot the middle of an entire sentence

19 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You've seen our politics here.  Both sides will freak out over anything from the other side.

He likely didn't break any laws higher than a misdemeanor.  The statute of limitations at that level run out fairly quickly.

I wouldn't call that weird, I'd call it pretty telling on the character of the person who did it.  Doesn't matter how long ago it was. 

I truly dislike that joker after having learned that.

Yep he's got some serious character issues. I wonder if that silicon valley running mate of his backs out now.

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Of course it's a good thing, if this gives access to these products to a kid that can't afford it. 

It has.  I saw a report the other day that he could have been fined a big $250.00 if it had not.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Dude man, state flags are atrocious from flag taxonomy perspective. Almost all that haven't change their's should.  

State elbem as a flag is just lazy. 

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I doubt the majority of Americans can find Somalia on the map let alone identify its flag. And free tampons eh...no harm. I think the free school lunches are a positive.

It sounds like the right wing has found the trivial 'tan suit' talking point to focus on while ignoring their own candidates massive baggage such as felony convictions and sexual harassment/rape allegations. 

It's a sad state of how right the Overton window has shifted when giving tampons is viewed as progressive. How much harder is it going to be to convince people to fund roads, schools, hospitals and public services?

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I guess the rumours of Shapiro having too much baggage were true.  She was likely going to win Minnesota anyways.

Walz is a safe and solid pick.  It keeps her momentum going and is a very good counter to the only thing Vance really still has going for himself, his military career. 

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I think that's what sunk Shapiro was well........that wasn't going to play well with women and it's hard to hammer Trump with that point when it applies to you as well.

I'm guessing that was part of it, but I think Shapiro's support of Israel might have also played a part.

Seemed like a lot of young voters consider the Gaza situation their main issue.

• Cheers 1

BTW: I don't think the two flags look all that alike....

Yes, both are predominantly blue, with a white star on them, but that's where the resemblance ends. The Somali flag is a single shade of blue, with a five pointed star in the exact center.

The Minnesota flag has a light blue section that is intended to represent that waters in "The Land of 10,000 lakes". The left hand section is a darker blue, with an 8 pointed star, representing the North Star. The dark blue section is roughly in the shape of a "K", which represents the basic shape of the state itself.

19xp-flag-articleLarge.webp.15441ae618c4e31d1e1bb1908c1b09c5.webpimage.jpeg.1001d045b936d9fe36fb3fe9aa561f00.jpeg

Just wanna say that Chris Cornell is a genius predictor of the future when he put in those lyrics into Outshined, singing, "I'm looking California, and feeling Minnesota" - he totally predicted this matchup!  :hurhur:

Spoiler

And then, of course, there's the truth behind it:

Cornell explained the song's most famous lines: "I'm looking California/And feeling Minnesota", in an interview with Details magazine in 1996:

One of the first times I remember writing something personal was on tour. I was feeling really freaky and down, and I looked in the mirror and I was wearing a red T-shirt and some baggy tennis shorts. I remember thinking that as bummed as I felt, I looked like some beach kid. And then I came up with that line—'I'm looking California / And feeling Minnesota,' from the song 'Outshined'—and as soon as I wrote it down, I thought it was the dumbest thing. But after the record came out and we went on tour, everybody would be screaming along with that particular line when it came up in the song. That was a shock. How could anyone know that that was one of the most personally specific things I had ever written? It was just a tiny line. But somehow, maybe because it was personal, it just pushed that button.[6]

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outshined  :classic_ninja:

3 hours ago, DSVII said:

I'm very eager to see the VP debates. Vance leaned heavily into his 'veteran ' status (6 months service in the press corps arm of the marines) and here we have an NCO who can run circles around him. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2